Chapter 21
3.9k 24 149
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Ignoring Zika's comment I keep running.
I'm already far too late and have to save any time I can get.
I storm into the changing room with a panicked look.

 

"Y-you're late, Iori." (C)

 

At least she still speaks to me.
Maybe she really has seen something, but might not be too sure about it.

 

"Sorry, something came up! I'll try to make it quick!" (I)

 

Most are already leaving since they're done.
But Chiaki stays.

 

"Uhh, Iori?" (C)

"Y-yes? We are going to be late!" (I)

 

I already have a disturbing idea of what comes next.

 

"You... You know. There is... I wanted to ask..." (C)

 

She fidgets uneasily around.

 

"Chiaki..." (I)

 

Hey! No reason to jolt like this!

 

"I, I don't know what you think you saw, but whatever it is I can at least promise you that I am the same person you have known since elementary school. You don't have to be... like this." (I)

 

Her eyes are wide open staring at me.

 

"Maybe something happened, I don't want to talk about it. But it happened to me. I might have been acting differently, but that was just about this. I can promise you that I am myself, if that helps." (I)

"D-d-demons?" (C)

"Look, do you really want to get involved in this? I am not sure if that would be a good idea. There is some stuff I really don't want you to see." (I)

 

Like me exploding in countless tendrils or bearing demons I've forged pacts with.
I am absolutely not sure if she believes me anything.

 

"Chiaki, please! I don't like seeing you like this. You are much brighter usually. As hard that is to bear for others." (I)

 

Not really sure if I've got through to her.
But I have to get going now if I don't want to get scolded.
Yet as soon I arrive at the school's swimming hall I am confronted with another problem.
I don't want to repeat my accident with the bathtub.
Especially not while my whole class is with me in the pool.
However, as I have no good excuse here I just hope that I don't get too relaxed in the water.

For some reason, Zika isn't even showing up.
I guess she has some special conditions going for her, with a not-so-shallow amount of mind control involved there.
Chiaki on the other hand does not have that kind of luxury, so she follows closely behind me.
We line up and are ready to head for the water.
Suddenly Chiaki raises her hand.

 

"I'm sorry. My stomach hurts. Can I stay outside?" (C)

"Hmm, you don't look so well. Fine, but go to the nurse if it gets worse!" (swimming teacher)

 

That works?!
Yes, sure it works.
No one asks a girl for details on that matter.
The only problem is:
Why couldn't I get this idea?!

 

While I have to pretend to be fine with swimming I internally panic at the idea all my fellow classmates might suddenly find themselves in tentacle hell.
And I certainly don't wish to play the Kraken!

 

While trying to occupy my mind with swimming, I notice my endurance is completely over the top.
No matter how much I drive myself further, there is not the slightest hint of fatigue.
Chiaki on the other side has settled herself in the corner of the hall.
Wait! The furthest left corner!

 

M-maybe I remembered wrong?
Then the black ooze gathering around her is probably just my imagination.

Yes...
Yes... I know...
I will right away go there.

 

Rather fast I finish my lane.
And I don't bother to look down my feet, even if I had this unsettling shifting feel, which might indicate a water adjustment down there.
I don't want too much attention from the teacher and look for the right moment.
Then I head to Chiaki.

 

"Ehm, Chiaki?" (I)

"Eehk! I-I..." (C)

"Sigh, this bad? Nevermind! Could you... Could you just sit somewhere else?" (I)

"S-somewhere else? " (C)

"Yes, anywhere but there, please!" (I)

 

I don't like how this stuff starts to cling to her and begins to whirl more violently.

 

"W-why? Is there a reason? I don't see..." (C)

 

This wildly shifting seriously appears to be too threatening for Chiaki to me.
And I really want her safe from this.

 

"Please! Chiaki! Get away from there!" (I)

 

At once the ooze fades away.
Yet it seems Chiaki does the same.
At least her consciousness.
Wide horrified look, severe trembling, and her face is so white as if she's going to faint.

 

"W-what is?" (I)

 

She is somehow too stunned to speak.
And that I made a step in her direction didn't help in the slightest.

 

"Is, is anything wrong?" (I)

"E-e...- e-e-e-e..." (C)

 

She's still quivering, which kinda works against her attempts to form words.

 

"C-could you tell me? Please?" (I)

I am on my own rather distressed by this and be stared like this at me isn't making things easier.

"E-e-eye-s!" (C)

"Something's wrong with my eyes? Oh no, don't tell me..." (I)

 

I was just a little worried and maybe stared a bit too intently at this dark smog there.
Did my eyes really just switch into demon mode?
Or maybe she is just referring to the countless ones that have sprouted from my chest.
This... This could actually be bad!
What if the teacher calls me out for my lack of participation?
I-I need to get them back to normal.
The obvious ones on my chest I can quell.
However, I lack a mirror, and turning back to the water is out of question.
I wish I wouldn't have to do this.

 

"Okay, Chiaki! I have no idea how they look right now, so please say when they are back to normal, alright?" (I)

The problem is, different from the physical shifts I experience on the solid parts, my eyes have no such feeling to them.
It is more like a shallow illusory coloration than an active change.
And this blend isn't something I can safely verify just by feel.
And because of this issue, I have to rely on an outer source of confirmation.
Like this on Chiaki!

I imagine my eyes how I want them to look on the normal me and wish them to change back with all I have, trying to replicate the feeling I had when it happened the first time.
Now I really need confirmation if it works.

 

"Are they better now? Please Chiaki, I need to know this!" (I)

 

If I judge this shaking right, this was a nod.

 

"God, why did this have to happen! Why can't it be just normal?" (I)

 

This is seriously terrible.
If things proceed like this even Zika cannot help me with the outrage.
At least I am sure that Chiaki is not going to spread this.
Yet that the reason for this is mortal fear is hard to stomach.

 

"Nomia! Why aren't you in the water? Get going!" (teacher)

 

I would like to talk this out, but as Miss Sarashi our swimming teacher is relentless I have no choice.

 

"I would like to talk later if it's fine. That's if it's okay with you." (I)

 

I know I can't force her to stay friends with me, but at least I want to put in some effort for this cause.
Chiaki can be annoying, stupidly generalizing, and often just too much.
But she is my friend and I would be sad if it ends like this.
Nonetheless, I go back into the pool to not make a scene.
After that, I well-behaved as I am, proceed to swim my lanes.
Still nervous about accidentally growing webs on my hands and feet.

Despite not being exhausted I take a short break.
Swimming lanes grew monotonous and I don't want to stand out too much.
Yet the moment I want to get started again there is a drain from below.
A moment later I am pulled down to the pool's ground.
I mean I would but in practice, this doesn't happen.
Because for some reason there is none!
Instead, something like a dark abyss sucks me in.

For a moment I panic at the fear to drown.
This is until I become aware that I don't need any air.
In fact, this current sensation shouldn't put me off, as it is surely no novel situation when I remember my black sludge.
It needs a moment, but all my traumatic experiences help me to think straight again in this chaos of being flushed.
Right before I can utilize my teleportation it seems I'm about to land.
Yet the landing itself is quite rough.

 

"Swash"

"Ouch!" (I)

 

I find myself at a dryer place.
Naturally, the first thing I do is confused taking in my surroundings.
It has a weird ambiance, as it partly looks like the school's changing rooms and on the other side like the inside of a giant muzzle.
The form might be wrong, but the white surface on the walls reminds me of this.

 

"And who might you be?" (?)

 

And find a table with a girl behind.
Or rather mermaid, as she despite having two legs is covered in scales.

 

"I-I don't really know the usual procedure in these situations, but could my kidnapper please introduce herself first?" (I)

"Ohhhh... My bad! It's Kyumi if it helps." (K)

 

I had no idea how a school wonder is like, but different from Zika's explanation she seems to be reasonable.

 

"Wait, isn't it bad when a demon tells her name openly like this?" (I)

"Just if they're unbound! I have my place here!" (K)

 

I should maybe be more surprised, but from all the weird shit I've seen so far a fishlike girl is very far low on my list of unsettling stuff.

 

"So, if you would have now the manners to tell me who you are to trespass into my territory?" (K)

"Ehm, I'm here because we have swimming class?" (I)

"And who are you?" (K)

 

Now she is fletching canine teeth.

 

"Iori! My name is Iori! And could we please hurry up? I am actually worried that because of this stunt right now. everyone is panicking at the pool." (I)

"Oh, don't worry. Whoever gets caught here will forever be forgotten by everyone!" (K)

"That just makes it worse!" (I)

"Now just tell me what you are and what you want here!" (K)

"I am a friend of Zika and go to school here!" (I)

 

Hell will I do, and introduce me as a "demonic goddess"!

 

"Is that some kind of joke?" (K)

 

Did I say something wrong?

 

"I don't understand." (I)

"Even coming with the concepts of "friends" is ridiculous! With Zika?! And going to school here? What kind of game are you playing?" (K)

 

At once her eyes get something like a sickly green glow while the room around me starts to vibrate in a threatening way.
I somehow get the feeling that soon I'm gonna get attacked by anything around here.
Even if I have no idea how blanc walls would manage to do that.
However...

 

"This... This is seriously not a good idea. I don't know about others, but I get along rather well with Zika. She has helped me out a lot since I turned into a demon, or whatever." (I)

 

This piqued her interest.
Albeit my surroundings don't tell me that her aggressivity levels decreased.

 

"Turned into a demon? Do you take me for a fool?" (K)

 

And now something like spirals made of whirling waters looking as if they intend to pierce me emerge from the walls.
This situation grows out of my control, but the reason why I start to panic is a different one.

 

"N-no, please stop this! I-I don't want to eat you, so l-let's end it at this. My body... I have absolutely no control and it... goes on a rampage i-if things... like this happen." (I)

"Now we are at threats? At least you show what you truly are; dirty parasite!" (K)

"Parasite!?" (I)

 

Sorry, despite having nothing to do with any of this I am a little offended!
Nonetheless, I should stay diplomatic and try to deescalate.

 

"I... I'm sorry, I seriously don't intend to take anything here. I'm just going to school . I hold absolutely no ill will here." (I)

"You just stole my prey!!!" (K)

 

Prey? What kind of prey?
Wait, she couldn't mean...

 

"Chiaki!!! No! Absolutely not!" (I)

 

Fine, that's enough!
I let the emotions I carefully bottled up, to prevent any slips of the demonical kind, burst out!

 

"You can say what you want! Threat me in any way you like! But I won't allow you to drag my friends into this! Touch her and you will regret it!" (I)

 

Black smoke rushes out, my feet and claws transform again, while some sludge separates and starts to spread along the surface and a vast number of eyes focusing on her appears on my body, which embarrassingly consumed my clothes.
Not that there are any distinguishing features on this creeping surface my body forms.
Still, it's hard to bear.
But determination keeps me on the target.

 

"W-what are you! This is my realm! You shouldn't have such power here!" (K)

"I am your nightmare if it's necessary! So leave my friends alone or I won't forgive you!" (I)

 

A moment later the water whirls rush at me, yet something like a shell made from the usual creepy material extends from my back and obstructs them efficiently.
This might be my opportunity to retaliate, but I'm hesitant.
Despite her demeanor, she is still a sentient being.
I just don't wish to kill someone.

 

All these monsters in this nightmare world were rather on the level of beasts for me.
The demons are maybe a bit more complicated, but it's not like they left me much of a choice.
And I thought it was a dream.
Maybe not a good defense at court but to me, there is a big difference to the things I would do if I'm aware.

However, I also have to somehow stop these attacks.
Yet my proficiency to use my powers in any specific way is basically nonexistent.
I would just wish to be able to protect those dear to me without killing whoever gets in my way like a maniac.

Since the possibilities are rather restricted I decided to try threatening her.
Fortunately, my point gets supported by the fact that the black liquid I expelled before already developed a life on its own, flooding along the whole ground and crawling up the walls, where eyes start to sprout, all focusing on my opponent.
I can this time somehow manage to prevent that she gets sucked in by my automatic self-defense.
It might be due to me getting more used to this instead of solely panicking.

By the way, I panic!
While I try to put up a strong front, internally I am trembling like crazy.
And maybe a bit on the outside as well.

I mean seriously!
The whole formerly blue-white room is covered with a living horror substance that is eager to devour everything it gets in its grasp.
I might not be particularly weak to horror movies, but that doesn't mean I have no problem with starring in one.
You can tell me a thousand times that this creeping killer-sludge isn't going to come for me, but I won't become comfortable.
And the amount of killer tendrils emerging from my back doesn't make this any better.
However, there is someone who has even bigger issues right now dealing with this.
And that is the target of my threats.

 

"This can't be! This can't be! This feeling of oppression! You!!! You are... you are..." (K)

"Please don't say outer god! I have absolutely no disposition towards this term." (I)

"An outer god! An outer god here!?" (K)

 

Didn't I say not?

 

"Alright... I believe we have a deal then. You aren't killing anyone and I am not bothering you." (I)

 

It seriously goes on my mentality to play this game here.

 

"B-but I-I can't!" (K)

 

You cannot stop killing people?
The hell is wrong with you?!

 

"Excuse me? Could you explain this?" (I)

"I-I have to follow my myth! If I don't I will cease to exist! Whoever waits some time in my corner and then goes in the water, that person I have to drag to the ground. And when those persons are alone I must drown them for good!" (K)

"What!?" (I)

"I h-have to do this! The myth is me! My identity! I need to act in accordance!" (K)

"What kind of sickhead makes up such stories?" (I)

"The students! They shape the idea! P-please! I don't want to end! Not again!" (K)

"As I said, Chiaki is off-limits! But I also don't want my other classmates dying. Is there no way?" (I)

"You, you might change the myth through rumors or, or keep them from fulfilling the conditions." (K)

 

I really don't want to kill her.
I even have some compassion when she is forced to go along with rules others define on her.
And I truly think killing is wrong as long you have a choice.
And right now I have.

It's not as if I have any obligation in the first place to meddle here.
Changing a rumor might be possible.
To the best of my ability, I start to suck everything that spread from me back inside.
It's an odd feeling, but bearable, and the room becomes again neat and tidy which helps to ease me up.

 

"I really don't want to fight or something like this. Please could you just not bother us? I just want to have my quiet school life and not get dragged into this. If you have questions ask Zika. So if you would be so nice and bring me back? Oh wait!" (I)

 

Hastily I shape my body back.
It's really difficult, considering all the stuff I just took in, but I think the disturbance is mostly coming from my emotional state.
Right now I am much more collected as when I feared that mum might hate me.
So I can restore my human appearance.
And as much I despise it, I form my swimming uniform back on me.
Hello, flesh coat.

 

"Now I can go!" (I)

 

Our mermaid still seems extremely scared, but this should rather motivate her to get rid of me.
After a move with her hand, a whirlpool from behind sucks me in and some moments later I break through the surface and am back in the school pool.
To my surprise, no one seemed to notice that anything happened, even if a student's dis- and reappearance should cause some uproar.

However, Chiaki stares in my direction, fitting the fact that I suddenly resurfaced again.
Maybe it's her strong energy that makes her immune to mental influences?
I don't know, but since at least time went by as usual it doesn't take long until the last ring of the day.

All that's left, is going to change back to my uniform and grabbing my stuff, before getting on my way home, while avoiding further killer demons.

 

Sigh!

And a long talk with Chiaki that I would rather refrain from.

 

149