Chapter 43
3.1k 13 133
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

"And that's how it went." (S)

"S-so you two got along?" (I)

"You are really asking me if I had any issues with someone who overtakes my shadow and leaves me not the slightest bit of privacy?" (S)

"I-it was just meant well. She protected you, didn't she?" (I)

"As I understand it, I wouldn't have had this confrontation in the first place, if I weren't able to see them." (S)

"Ehm, that might be right, but now that you can it wouldn't be good to leave the house on your own, right? Without any protection?" (I)

"Oh, right. Because you made your demonic "daughter" cling to me, I have now permanently to deal with this." (S)

"I really didn't know this would happen. She was just supposed to make sure nothing happens to you!" (I)

"And because of that it's fine to decide this without my consent? Didn't I tell you to hold back?" (S)

"I-I'm sorry!" (I)

"Iori, I have no idea which universal laws still bind you, but consider this one as the most fundamental and unshakeable! You are grounded!!! In your room and just come out when I allow it!" (S)

"Ieehhk. Y-yes." (I)

 

Immediately I turn to my room and hurry in as fast as I can.
Maybe I grew beast paws to accelerate.

 

Not that I ever gave mum much reason to scold me seriously, but on the rare occasions I was never going to oppose her.
The reason is not that she gets loud or rages.
The opposite is the case.

While her voice only gets slightly louder she stays distressingly calm.
She stares unwavering and you feel like something terrible is going to happen if you won't do as she says.
I might not be as bound to such things as before and a good part of my compliance comes from the fact that I love her, feel guilty, and need her more than ever.

But if I'm honest, the true reason was that when she got loud just now, the room became dark, the walls shook, and her eyes went black.
As terrifying she was before, the new special effects she got are lifting the intensity to a whole new level.
I seriously don't want to know if she might turn into something.
The odds lie in favor of this.
My whole body shakes at that thought.
I believe the critters I consist of feel threatened on a primal level.
I don't know what happened to mum, but whatever it was, it's not simply limited to seeing auras.

When I close the door I notice Kuri on the bed.

 

"Hello, mum." (K)

 

Ah yes.
She got grounded as well.

 

"She got you too, huh?" (I)

"We arrived and she was friendly at first. She even gave me food." (K)

 

Oh, I know where this goes.

 

"But then she said I have to go here and think about what I've done. She smiled at me, but it was somehow wrong and she didn't sound like it. I just thought I have to get really fast away from her. I feel weird. I am restless when I think about that smile. Is something wrong with me? Did I make a mistake? Does she hate me?" (K)

 

Uh, I have to tell her that she can't demonify people.
But when she's in that state?
I think she's scared.
Scared of mum.
Which is absolutely understandable.

 

"Uhh... no, mum doesn't hate you. She's more... angry at us." (I)

"So I did something wrong?" (K)

"Well, it's more my fault. I was selfish when I told you to protect her. We didn't leave mum a choice on that matter. That was wrong." (I)

"But all the things out there! She wasn't safe!" (K)

"Oh, yeah. I've heard about that one ghost she tried to talk to." (I)

 

After all, I made exactly the same mistake.

 

"That one wasn't really dangerous. Just when he got induced to react." (K)

"Wait! Then what do you mean with she wasn't safe?" (I)

"There were many bigger and more aggressive ones, but I took care of them before they could come close." (K)

"Mum was in danger? Wait! How did you take care?" (I)

"No she wasn't. I used my shadows and got rid of each one of them before they even came close. But the small ones were too many, so I ignored them." (K)

 

God, this girl killed everything in mum's vicinity to make sure.

 

"Kuri, you can't just kill like this. That we act so rashly is the problem." (I)

"So grandma is angry because of this?" (K)

"First, don't let her hear you calling her like that. Also, ehm... another point would be that... Kuri. You did something with mum, right?" (I)

 

She looks guilty to the ground.

 

"She, she became weaker. First I didn't know, but her body worked slower and slower and less efficient. I didn't know that would happen, really! But when I focused I saw that what made her move became less and less. I had no choice. I needed to make it move more inside her. So I gave her my energy to support the processes." (K)

 

She filled her up with miasma!
That can't be good!
I really need to ask if there are any consequences I have to expect.
And this before something happens.
Zika might be annoyed, but she's the most reliable source for answers.

 

I don't think I have much of a choice.
As quietly as possible I whisper,

 

"Zika, Zika, Zika!" (I)

"Reality defying void! What..." (Z)

"Shht! Not so loud. She might hear you." (I)

"Okay, I'll play that game. Who, how, and most importantly why?" (Z)

"Excuse me?" (I)

"Sigh. Who are you talking about? How did you mess up now? And, why you had to involve me?" (Z)

"It's mum. Something is with her. Kuri did something." (I)

"I'm sorry." (K)

"What exactly did she do?" (Z)

"She... infused her with miasma?" (I)

"Really? Pfft, I thought we'd have at least a day before that happens." (Z)

"You knew this would happen?!" (I)

"Not for sure, but it was predictable. Miasma is poisonous for humans. Not really compatible with normal lifeforce, rather it's the polar opposite. And your mum was close to this thing which throws it around left and right in a display of wastefulness.." (Z)

"You made me poison my mum!?" (I)

 

In the first place, binding a demon to mum was that demon's idea.

 

"While a little bit would barely be recognized, your mum was more than close to this little superspreader. That was ought to mess her up." (Z)

"I repeat! You made me poison my mum!" (I)

 

I think the room starts to darken with my mood.

 

"Hey, hey, no reason to freak out. That's not the right way to put this. As I said, she's fine." (Z)

"How is this fine, if Kuri poisoned her?" (I)

"Because she was in direct contact. Your mum got utterly corrupted by now!" (Z)

"Corrupted?" (I)

 

This doesn't sound good!

 

"Yep! Being close to miasma for a long time is not healthy, but your mother was the whole time basically linked to the source. I should've told ya that proper separation is recommended." (Z)

 

I feel more and more like I want to slap this demon.

 

"What's your point?" (I)

"It's very easy. Your little calamity kept your mother going with her own powers. When your mother's life force eventually was extinguished and failed her, your "Kuri" took over. With miasma that is. She poured it directly into her channels. To make sure that her blood continues to flow. So she flooded her whole system. Or in other words, your mother became a demon. Or rather some kind of hybrid. To become a pure one she first needs to die in this state." (Z)

"You can't be serious." (I)

"I totally am. That was ought to happen. Already because she lives with you. It might've been better that your demon did it. Otherwise, you would have poisoned her and had panicked without knowing what to do." (Z)

"Is... is it dangerous?" (I)

 

For now, all that matters is mum.

 

"Not the slightest bit. It might even be beneficial. Yet she lost the ability to create life force on her own." (Z)

"This is bad!" (I)

"No, it isn't. Instead, she can simply be refilled with miasma. As much as she wants, as you have this overflowing demon directly next to you. She might even feel better when the quantity increases like this. So there's no reason to panic." (Z)

"But, but what is with her mind?" (I)

"What shall be?" (Z)

"The aura determines the character, right? Then what is with her now that her own is gone?" (I)

"Tsk, you are confusing cause and effect. The personality determines the aura and not the other way around! Take for example me and your demon. We both have only miasma! Are we the same? Or what about you? Are you considering yourself as evil?" (Z)

 

This is rather convincing.

But those two really are different!

 

"So my mother is alright?" (I)

"Sure. She might stop aging, but who cares?" (Z)

 

Good.
That's good.
What a relief.

 

"Then if you'd excuse me, I don't feel like throwing a pajama party." (Z)

 

Zika leaves with clearly displayed annoyance.
The library demon might've been better.
This one looked eager to talk.
However, Zika is still in some way my confidant, so I prefer her.
So basically that means Kuri turned mum into some kind of demon.
She looks a little distraught now that Zika said all these things.
I really have to talk with her about this.

 

"I hope you understand. You can't just do that. You went too far with this." (I)

"I-I'm sorry. Hick." (K)

 

Again black ink gathers in her eyes and the room becomes worrisome darker.

 

"No, no. Please don't cry!" (I)

"But I'm bad and you are angry with me!" (K)

"No, you aren't bad. I made a mistake as well. This all is so new and confusing to me that I always make bad decisions! I didn't know that having you close to mum would make her sick. I was careless." (I)

"But she's not sick anymore." (K)

"Yes... yes. But you understand that what you did to her probably can't be reverted, right?" (I)

 

At least I think so.
Maybe there is some kind of ritual.
But giving mum her human lifeforce back?
I have no idea about this.
All I have is miasma.
Much of it, when I look at Kuri.
And without this mum would die.

 

"Uhh, yes." (K)

"So you see why she could be angry? She lost that what she had and can't get it back now." (I)

"I-I'm bad." (K)

"No, you're not. It's not like you had ill intentions. Mum is just upset. That will surely become better with time. You just need to show that you know you did something wrong and won't repeat it. Then it's fine. No one's perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. We can just try to do better. Can you understand this?" (I)

 

She nods and I believe I did a good job as her somewhat parent.
Kuri needs education and has no one else who could provide it.
Maybe I should let her go to school?
I would need someone who can use this mind magic to get her a place.
But doing that could be considered careless to whatever the facility I'd send her.

 

"What do we do now?" (K)

"Uhh, we need to endure our punishment. We have to stay in here and think about what we did wrong. Until mum says it's fine we shouldn't leave. That might be tomorrow." (I)

"Oh!" (K)

"Yes, it's boring. But that's the thing. If we do this mum will maybe stop being angry at us." (I)

"I understand!" (K)

 

Sigh!
She's just too sweet how she is now totally eager to do nothing.
That reminds me...

 

"Kuri!" (I)

"Yes?" (K)

"You are a good girl. I... I love you." (I)

 

I never told her, but this much should be a given.
She comes from me and thinks of me as her mother, so treating her with kindness when all she wants is to help me is the right thing to do.

She stares blankly at me before tears consisting of a highly concerning substance stream down her face and a wave of miasma erupts into the room.

 

"Whaaaahhhhh!" (K)

"Alright! Alright! Calm down!" (I)

I think she's happy.
God, that's a problem!

 

"What is this ruckus!" (S)

Mum throws the door open and finds me hugging a crying Kuri in a completely shrouded room.
I first panic because of all the toxic demon mist she stepped in.
But the next moment a huge amount draws to her and is sucked in through her eyes, nose, mouth, and even her skin.

 

"I, I won't ask what just happened or why I feel like running a marathon. You two better quiet down. Being grounded is no reason to grow excited!" (S)

 

God, she really absorbs this stuff.
She looked fine, if not for a growing shadow, blackening eyes, concerning minor shifts all over her body, which yet didn't manifest in anything concrete, and gaining a more pressuring presence.
Everything's fine, right?
Right?

 

The rest of the evening I spend reading my mangas and taking care of Kuri.
My game console might be too loud, so that mum could get triggered and if I think about this none of my games are suitable for Kuri, who is far too quick to catch up on stuff.
At least, I could use the time to educate her in a way about the situations she might find herself in, to prevent a major incident.
For the town that is.

Mangas gave me some inspiration for topics.
Well, mostly Shounen mangas, where I could somewhat relate my situation with these monster-fighting students.
Even if those always conveniently got away with their antics and no one ever asked why they behave so weird.
But if you have an eye for what is weird about their behavior, you have great references regarding how to do it better.
I gave her those to read while making sure to point out what was wrong with the different displayed situations.

What I left out yet would be my Shoujo collection.
Love... Much too early!
I mean, she's only four days old.

That night I didn't feel like going to my dreamland or any other world at this and also had no intentions to go against mum.

 

After a while, I decided to somehow get through the rest of the night and lie down in my bed.
I cannot sleep, but dozing off is kinda fine.
I even a little bit tried to empty my mind, to not concentrate that much on the too slow progress of time.
Yet in a small upcoming panic, I instructed Kuri that she absolutely had to wake me up should I really fall into this eternal slumber.
Naturally, she was all in for that since I probably could ask for everything if it's her.
Since she's small and I wanted to know where she is, I allowed her to sleep by my side.
So it was a peaceful night and I somehow managed to get through it.

 

133