Chapter 65
2.8k 18 119
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

I am stunned.
When, why, and how did those kiddos get here?

It just doesn't make any sense.
Just how could they find this place?
Did they follow me?
While following a scary demon to an even scarier demon meeting would be the pinnacle of stupidity I wouldn't put it past them.
But even if they somehow got a hint of what I'm doing here, how could they follow me without my surveillance system noticing them?

And I simply can't believe that they just randomly showed up here.
If they really shadowed us, usually countless eyes would open to show me that someone is there.
Or Zika might've been perceptive enough to notice.
But all complaining won't help me to deal with this situation.
And we have a situation here.
That is because the room trapped them with us inside here and from that black figure I perceive something that reminds me of a hungry wolf.

 

"What is going on?" (S)

"Where is the door?!" (J)

"S-sorry." (N)

"Is this the end?" (Y)

 

He, I think it's a he, doesn't move from his position but rather his presence crawls along the walls, very concentrated, even moving through the area where I left my own presence.
Also, I feel an uncomfortable heat from everywhere he passes me.
Or rather my outer presence, but it's a bit hard to distinguish between that and my body.

 

"Stop! What are you doing there?" (I)

"This is the rule! Humans who enter this space, apart from the living world, won't ever leave! You won't steal any more of what is rightfully ours!" (black figure)

 

Shit, shit, shit! What am I doing?
If I wait any longer whatever comes for them won't leave them unscathed.
The problem is, the way he said this feels like he's simply following this imposed rule.
An urge he has to follow.
Shall I eradicate him now because of this?
God, this is too much.
I'm not good with split decisions.
Damnit!

More because of panic than as a deliberate choice I do the only thing I can come up with to solve a conflict situation.
And this is separating the clashing parties.
And so I let the ground where the four are standing open up, form a huge cocoon around them, and swallow the whole group.
It's quite surprising how easy it was.
Chiaki and Zika were a bit harder to absorb.
Like with bigger pieces, where I actually had to chew.
A worrisome metaphor.
Is it even one if that's what literally happens?

 

"She stole them! She took my share!" (black figure)

 

Show them who's boss!

 

"Goddamnit, shut up!" (I)

 

I've got enough!
He can be glad I didn't end him just now!
Thousands of tendrils erupt from all sides into the room.
Where they're not everything gets encompassed by living darkness, reaching out for the quivering group of demons in the middle.
I am honestly agitated right now but still set on restraining myself before I go too far.
If their fear of me can prevent that anyone dies here, then I'm fine with the result.

 

"Okay, can we please now calm down? All I want is that we solve this peacefully." (I)

 

This might sound less believable while I threaten them with total annihilation but, if nothing else, it's a convincing factor to support my demands.
And well, I'm part American.

 

"You... you cannot force us to stray from our myths! They're our identities, our very being. We need to follow them, regardless of their contents." (nurse)

"Then I'll change those damned rumors, and till this happens we simply avoid fulfilling the conditions that will lead to death." (I)

"You would change who we are?" (nurse)

"If it's necessary! Seriously, if you stop being ruthless killers I'd consider this an improvement. So yes, I've got enough of this. No one here is going after my friends, my classmates, or any other students! I don't know how bad I can be, but I sure as hell know that none of you wants to find out!!" (I)

 

It seems my words had some impact.
They at least shiver enough that I can be certain that they were listening to what I just said.
But now I first want to ease the atmosphere.
I do so by retracting my influence.
Since I took over every last bit of the supernatural construction which made the room look so weird it changes back into a completely normal cellar.
Which still makes me feel uneasy.

As soon I stop completely controlling this place the black one and the boy immediately vanish.
The remaining ones meanwhile look sill very apprehensive of me.
Which might be founded to a degree.
I was never very proficient at socializing and so am now a little lost in this situation.
I guess smiling won't help all too much after what just happened.
At least I'm trying to make a relaxed impression to decrease the tension.

Which is especially difficult now because Chiaki permanently stares at me.
Did I scare her as well?
I seriously only wanted to protect everyone.

 

"I-I'm sorry, Chiaki. I didn't want to overdo it. You need to believe me, they're fine and I'm not evil!" (I)

 

I really don't want her to see me as a monster.

 

"Ah, no. That's not it. It's just..." (C)

"Yes?" (I)

 

Did she realize how powerful I am?
Or worried that I might turn against her?

 

"You're cute!" (C)

.

.

.

Okay, I'm dumbfounded.
What does she mean?
If not...

 

"Don't tell me... Shit!" (I)

 

The horns are the first thing I notice, shortly followed by the claws with which I grabbed them.
After this, I become aware of the legs, the ears, the tail.
I'm in demon mode!

 

"Ahh, Chiaki! I, I didn't want to scare you! It just happened. I... What did you just say?" (I)

"You're cute. I mean, a little foreign, but I'm currently asking myself what clothes would suit you. A blue dress should be a nice fit. You're looking a bit like that one character of this anime. Uh... I can't put my finger on it." (C)

"What happened to your fear of demons?" (I)

"You're fine. I trust you to be nice. And those ears are just sweet!" (C)

 

Why is she pinching them!

 

"Could you please stop this? And maybe also stop staring? There's surely something else as interesting. There, for example! There's a literal mermaid! Pester that one!" (I)

 

I think Kyumi heard me.
She's clearly shrinking away now.
Maybe my display was a tiny bit much.
Chiaki against all my expectations does what I said.
She's casually walking over to the killer mermaid.

 

"So... You wanted to eat me?" (C)

"Ieekh! N-no. Only dragging you below the water till you had lost consciousness. And only if you'd entered the pool. Pl-please, don't call... her." (K)

 

I am not sure if I'm fine with that kind of reputation.
Chiaki is still extremely calm considering her fear of demons.
Promptly, Chiaki throws the mermaid a joyous smile.

 

"Nah. It's fine. You surely had your reasons. Seems pretty hard to be you. But next time I'll blow you away! I can now do that much'" (C)

 

For a moment her hands emit a bit of this laser beam light that she used to burn a hole in my castle and she makes very sure Kyumi gets a good look at it before ending the display.

Okay, I never knew Chiaki had this side to her.
She slaps Kyumi once on her back and returns to my side.
But for now, everything seems to be fine.

Meanwhile, I wave at Hanako.
Don't know if I remember this right, but the Hanako rumor had something to do with a bullied girl on the school toilet, which is just sad.
And a cute little grade-schooler with a tragic past is someone I want to be nice to.
Yet it's sadly not received very well.

Seems like the meeting is concluded now.
I'm not sure if I did well, but I guess it could've been worse.

 

"Ah, I had hope that at least one of them would get devoured. At least the scorched man. That one's an ass. Well, one can't have everything. All of them being freaked out will have to suffice." (Z)

 

Damn, this demon.
I can kinda understand why the others don't like her.
However, now I really need to leave.

 

119