Chapter 78
2.7k 35 103
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

At least, most of the tension is gone by now.
While Chiaki pesters Makoto in the most uncomfortable way about his mother mum stands nearby but is a bit intimidated about how to approach the exorcists.
I'm as well a little conscious of the fact that just yesterday I was told how irresponsible I am.
After a while, mum manages to say something.

 

"So, ehm. What exactly are your intentions? Why are you here?" (S)

"Naturally I want to learn everything there is to know about your endeavor. Everything that involves a greater being shouldn't be taken lightly. So what is it you're planning to do in detail?" (H)

"Vacation!" (C)

 

Chiaki chimes in before anyone else can even ponder an answer.
The restless eyes of that person, who in my opinion shouldn't even have the responsibility for a plastic plant not to speak of a boy, now focus on my best friend.
And almost pounces on her.

 

"Whoah, that aura is something. How is it generated? Purely from living processes? No. There's something else. Older. Ancient. A seal? No, no, a bond! Many bonds!! What a fascinating spellwork! Translating that will take like forever and a lifetime..." (H)

 

She strobes Chiaki's body, probes different places, and overall just becomes a bit too intimate.

Quickly two tentacles grow out of nowhere and separate her from my friend.
If she just wouldn't check them out now instead.

 

"Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey! I'm not quite sure what you're doing there but I am sure that it's an intrusion into Chiaki's privacy. And at least you should ask for consent here." (I)

 

That's how I feel about this.

 

"Oh, sorry. Sometimes it simply comes over me and I just can't hold onto myself." (H)

 

This excuse won't work in any court in the world!
Then her gaze wanders back to Chiaki.

 

"Vacation you said. I've heard the gist of it, but could you explain? In detail please?" (H)

"It was my idea! We'll use Iori's abilities and travel directly to her special place. It's something like a cut-off world. There we can enjoy ourselves as much as we want and Iori can provide absolutely everything we wish for. The perfect getaway!" (C)

 

Why do I feel like she's taking advantage of me?

 

"Okay, but how exactly would we reach this place?" (H)

"Uh, that's the problematic part. She's taking us apart and puts everything back together on the other side." (C)

 

Sorry. If I could do anything about it to make it more pleasant I'd do it.

 

"Ah, a transportation dispersal. Those are theoretically not dangerous and I'm more than sure, no matter how sloppy the foundation is, your friend can power through it. Yet it's not the most pleasant experience." (H)

"Yes... Sorry about that. I can't do much about the execution." (I)

"Mhm, wording. So we have here an assortment of people who I already under normal circumstances would suspect being capable of causing the greatest chaos and destruction. And this all within the unstable inner world of the probable epitome of madness and entropy." (H)

"I only wanted to spend a nice time with my friends, really! I'll make sure that everyone gets back. And I won't allow anything bad to happen to them. Please, I want to prove to Makoto that I'm not bad and that there's no reason to be afraid of me. Just give me a chance!" (I)

"Iori..." (M)

"I understand your reasoning. And yes, I'll grant my permission if it's so important. But one last thing I want you to know, if anything happens to my son, any greater harm, any alteration, you will regret it! Even if something like this was never before even thought of, I will find a way to devise something that will be capable of harming you. Destroy you from the inside. As much it might cost me, obtaining my revenge will be worth it!" (H)

 

For a moment, her eyes lost all this crazy flickering and became disturbingly serious.
For a moment, I was afraid.
As well as all the critters I consist of.
Some part of me even suggests that annihilating this threat now would be the smart way to go about this.
Because something tells me, this woman might with abysmal chances and crazy efforts be able to pull this off.

Then her gaze goes all crazy again and I almost feel relieved.

 

"But as long nothing happens there'll be no problem." (H)

"N-no. Apart from the initial transportation, which can be a little uncomfortable, it's perfectly fine to be on the other side. I've adjusted the environmental conditions and made it brighter." (I)

"You mean the transportation where you have to take us apart?" (M)

 

I can understand that he sounds a little stressed at those prospects.

 

"Ah well, I just want you to know that I don't insist on it. If you don't want to come with us it's perfectly fine. I won't force you. I could understand it, really." (I)

"Do you think I would chicken out after your speech just now? It's important to you, right? So I won't deny you." (M)

"Thanks." (I)

 

Suddenly I feel a tug from below me.
It seems Kuri got needy.
And I remember that there might be some issues regarding her and Makoto's last meeting.

 

"Ehm, you remember Kuri? You know, she's really sorry because of that destroyed barrier." (I)

"Am I?" (K)

"Yes! Destroying foreign property is not okay!" (I)

"Okay, I'm sorry." (K)

 

Well, if that isn't convincing?

 

"You see, I gave my best to rein her in. We might still have some smaller issues, but I'm confident she can become a friendly, helpful member of society." (I)

"I need to say, she's something else. Demons of this scale tend to be far more aggressive to sustain their consumption. This one is almost docile." (H)

"Uh, yes. She's a treasure." (I)

"Thank you, mum!" (K)

"Mhm." (H)

 

Makoto's mother gives her a thoughtful look.

 

"Okay, if there's nothing left to say, I'm ready to go!" (H)

"I, I'm still not sure about this. I mean, you realize that you're asking quite much to let someone I barely know into my personal dream? My inner sanctuary?" (I)

"If this is about gaining trust this would be an opportunity. Also, I can make a much better and more importantly objective report about you than my son. It would be advantageous for your cause to bring me over. And it's not like you wouldn't have any control over there, as far I know." (H)

 

That's certainly not wrong.
Rather I wield unlimited control over there.
But bringing someone who knows more than me about this stuff leaves me worried.

 

"Fine, okay. But in the first place this is about vacation. I need a break and Chiaki looks forward to it. So, don't expect anything special. It's just for fun." (I)

"Sounds absolutely awesome!" (C)

"I'm sure that this "vacation" might be very intriguing in its own way. There will surely be something interesting to occupy me on the other side." (H)

"Everything is provided there. I have a castle with food, running water, entertainment, a library, am working on the landscape for a good sightseeing experience, and what isn't there yet I can probably bring into existence." (I)

 

She chokes.

 

"A, a library?" (H)

"Ehm, yes. I saw one in that castle. I was never really in there and have no idea about its contents, but it looked quite spacious." (I)

"The library of an outer god! I am in! What are we waiting for?! Let's go!" (H)

 

Makoto meanwhile seems to be a bit sullen.

 

"Oh no, you triggered her." (M)

 

Looking at her apparent elation I can see what he's talking about.
It seems everyone's now ready to go, as they're all standing there as a group, waiting for me.
The lack of luggage everyone has with them makes me believe that in the end, I'm the one who has to provide even the necessities.
However, all this already took far too long and I should get started.
First, they should get into the right position.

 

"Okay. I think you should stand there. Otherwise I might damage the furniture." (I)

 

Call me crazy, but even if I could, I prefer the couch we have over some creepy tentacle replacement.

 

"Just a moment please." (S)

 

Mum stands up and takes some controlled deep breaths to calm herself.
I won't comment on the small black clouds coming out of her mouth.

Chiaki has no real problem with getting into position, but I can spot a bit of anxiety in her demeanor.

 

"Kuri? You should go there as well." (I)

"I am already a part of you mother. I just need a connection to you." (K)

 

If she says so.
And then there's Makoto.
Naturally, he's anxious.
It's a given after all the terrifying stuff he heard.
With pleading eyes he looks at his mother for help, who's disturbingly easygoing about everything.

 

"Just breathe in when it starts. Then close your eyes, and by all means, don't try to focus on anything during the ordeal." (H)

 

She's saying this as if she's reading out loud from a travel guide.
But her advice seems to be a bit lacking regarding discernable motherly love.
However, then I notice that she has taken his shaking hand.

Now there's nothing else left.
Just sending the people I care about, and Makoto's mother, into a nightmare.
I'm uncomfortable about this.

 

"What are you waiting for Iori?" (C)

"This is quite hard! I don't like it if my body does those kinds of... things. It's kinda horrific." (I)

"Well, we're the ones about to get swallowed! I don't think you're the one to talk!" (C)

 

You all asked for this!
I can fucking be creeped out by my own body if I want!
Okay, no holding back now!
I concentrate on the space those two occupy right now, before stopping on the spot.

 

"Uh, can you please close your eyes? You know that's no sight for the weak." (I)

"Last time I glanced for a moment and even from this short moment I already have a very precise image." (C)

"I am not afraid of my daughter. You don't have to hide anything from me." (S)

"I'd never waste the chance to observe an outer god unleashing their power!" (H)

 

Can't argue against this.

 

"Then fast or slow, so I can stop if you want?" (I)

"Fast!" (C/S/M/H)

 

Seems they become impatient now.
Or want to get it over with.
Then I better hurry.

Once again I concentrate and try to summon this known feeling of shifting.
First, I feel it in my legs.
It starts as a squirming and continues in an outward eruption of billion tendrils.
Those who're used to my abilities don't seem too surprised, but naturally, I'm growing uneasy being seen like this.

Especially Makoto is taken aback and maybe slightly terrified.
His mother meanwhile, while intrigued, doesn't seem to worry too much.
That woman is really too casual about what happens here.

The tendrils now start growing into something worse.
The affected area of my body now encompasses my waist, making me look like an especially bad kind of squid.
The already emerged tendrils extend like a carpet on the ground.
First, they're spreading on the area around our travel group, then like at a hidden signal they suddenly close in.
They touch their feet, leading to a sudden whimper from my soon-to-be victims.
Extremely quickly the carpet crawls up their bodies and a moment later I see how their rather horrified faces get encompassed by fleshy, black worm thingies.
Now the whole mass slowly shrinks down and I have to deal with the impression that I'm killing all of them in there.

Fortunately, it doesn't take too long and I'm sure I can feel them inside me.
They should be in my dream right now, so I just need to follow.
I glance at Kuri, receiving a bright smile in return.
Then I think about teleporting to that place and close my eyes.
And I am there.

I see my mum, Chiaki, Makoto, his mother, and Kuri on the field in that barren wasteland.
Makoto vomits his lungs out, while his mother pats his back.

 

"There, there. It's over now. The nausea from crossing the veil should settle any moment, along with your churned atoms." (H)

 

Chiaki looks a bit worn but also kinda got used to it.
Mum might not be used to it but aside from a slight shaking, she can keep it together.

 

"Ehm, hi. Do I have to apologize for the trip?" (I)

"As mentioned, six hours flight, annoying overly touchy seat neighbors, lost luggage possibly also a part of my soul, all of this condensed into a single horrific moment. But at least it's over now." (C)

"Certainly, not the most pleasant trip. Actually one of the worse only. But nothing I didn't anticipate. Considering certain factors, still surprisingly mundane." (H)

 

With "factors" she's obviously referring to me.

 

"Brr, I don't like this. This kind of thing shouldn't happen between mother and daughter." (S)

 

Everyone seems to still have a hard time regaining their bearings.
Aside from Makoto's mother who is tough as hell.

 

"But I need to say. This realm is fascinating. Slight similarities to a demon's realm, but certainly not the same. The base isn't spellwork but something entirely different. More... pure." (H)

 

Should I worry that she's analyzing me?

 

"How can all of you be so calm about this?! We just... I don't know what it was, but it happened!!" (M)

"Experience, I guess?" (H)

"I wouldn't go as far and say you become used to it but you numb up." (C)

 

Makoto can't really retort but he's clearly not convinced yet.
Seeing everyone like this, I have to say something that would otherwise weigh on my mind.

 

"So, ehm. Now that you  all saw my kinda worst side, can we agree to ignore this and just treat me like any normal person?" (I)

 

Urgh, those stares hurt.

 

"I'm fine with Iori as Iori is!" (C)

"You're still my daughter. And I know you wouldn't do these things which make others uncomfortable on purpose." (S)

"We're in a place where you literally control everything. So either you'll now show your true face and eradicate all of us or there's no reason to worry about it. Since the first didn't happen yet I'm gonna settle for the latter." (H)

 

Just one remains.

 

"M-Makoto?" (I)

"I honestly still have no idea what to think about this. My whole life everyone told me demons are bad and we have to fight them. But, but I know you. I hope I do. And you're not evil." (M)

 

That... actually makes me happy.
I was worried the whole time that the people I care about might despise me for what I became.
And now I'm told by them that it's alright.
This... really helps.
It's a heartfelt moment.

 

"Yes, go for it Makoto!" (H)

 

And Makoto's mum is also there...

 

"Mum!!!" (M)

 

"Grumble"

 

The main issue is that this is absolutely the worst place to shake my mentality.
Because it shakes this entire world as well.

 

"Waaahh! Sorry, but please don't do this!" (I)

 

That moment got suddenly totally awkward.

 

"We all agree that we won't try to shake Iori again, right? Any pranks might severely backfire." (C)

"Oh my. Such a poor mental fortitude. That's a worrisome state of affairs" (H)

 

Says the one who caused it!
She receives at least some glares from all the others now.

 

"Okay, now that this is settled, we should finally start with our vacation! I can already see the castle!" (C)

 

This shouldn't be too difficult.
As it happens, we're just standing on one of the hills I added during my last terraforming project to make this land look less unnatural.
But most of the surface is still ebon and the castle is so stupidly high on that small mountain that it even shadows some modern skyscrapers.
Chiaki, naturally, directly runs in its direction.
Followed by mum, Makoto, and Haruna.

I was never the one to take initiative, so I stroll behind.
Yet suddenly Chiaki stops.
And soon enough the others as well.

Huh?
Why this?
Is the castle so impressive?

 

"Did something happen?" (I)

 

I call out to them.
However, they don't seem to react to me.
I walk over, asking myself what in this empty plane might raise their interest like this.

 

"Hey you. Did you forget about me? Is something over there? What... What the actual fuck!?!" (I)

 

103