Promise to a God (2)
2.3k 4 55
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reviewing the memories of the former, Kirin furrowed his brows. Through all the memories, he could feel all the emotions Hua Yu had experience, each penetrating straight into his soul as if he had personally experienced them. It was strange. For him, who has guarded himself for the past 400 years, it couldn't be compared to the walls Hua Yu built. But there was a difference. Hua Yu experienced much more than death, anger and abandonment, he had someone alongside him for two lifetimes. Even though they were never on terms with one another in their second life, Jin always came back with a large, vibrant smile on his face with welcoming arms.

How could Hua Yu have been so blinded by Jin's ascension into godhood that he had forgotten all that they've been through. Though it was Jin's fate to become a god, it's not like they knew, and it's not like Jin purposefully left him to die. Before Jin took his last breath within that fallen kingdom, it was because of Hua Yu. Jin shielded an attack that was aimed at Hua Yu, causing him to lose his life. Even within Jin's last breaths, he nullified their blood pact in order to have Hua Yu live. But things didn't go as planned after Jin ascended and Hua Yu was slain. Even when Hua Yu found Jin's remains, he still gave him a proper burial... even though he hated him? What were Hua Yu's true feelings? Did he care for the man or did he not? Did his pride get the best of him?

Thinking of the brotherhood they both shared in their first life, Kirin could not help but place his palm over his beating heart as his breath became heavy, aching. How could Hua Yu have discarded such a bond? It was not fair. He had someone by his side, a companion through thick and thin, Kirin never had anything like that. Thinking of Jin's unknown death, his breath staggered before he quickly recollected himself.

"S-01, which part of the time line are we at right now?" Kirin asked as he stood up, fixing his robe, brushing his hair to his back as he walked to the open window. Hua Yu's manor was built at the highest peak among the mountains within the Yin region in the demon realm, a region that did not look as ghastly or deadly as other parts were, filled with gloomy colors or fire and lava. It looked quite breath taking with green lush grass and blooming flowers. The whole Yin region was under his rule, and he was absolute.

[It has been ten days since Jin has been banished from the Heavens] S-01 answered.

Thinking back to how Hua Yu has given everyone the cold shoulder in this life, Kirin only sigh pitifully. Sure, he suffered. But his life was filled with so much more.

Since I'm taking over, I'm going to be doing things my way, Kirin smiled to himself. "What are my tasks?"

[I've been waiting for you to ask. Truth be told, there are no tasks that were given.]

Kirin's brows creased, face darkening, but he assumed S-01 had an explanation so he waited.

[After be given the memories of the former and information regarding the former's life, death and social relationships with others, it is now up to you to decide what tasks you will give yourself and how you will fulfill them. As soon as you receive the memories and information pertaining to the world, I will record your main tasks inside my system. 

Once they've been achieved, Host will be notified. Depending on what tasks you assign yourself and how you accomplish them will then be graded and given points. When you've accomplished your goals you have two options: (1) to leave this world right away, or (2) to live the rest of the given lifespan in current world before moving onto the next] S-01 replied fluidly, sounding confident but not haughty, in giving such an answer.

"Hmm~, I never expected to be played like that," Kirin answered. "But thinking about it that way, I like it. That way it feels like I'm not following the rules of another, so, I forgive you for deceiving me like that."

[Also note that as you acquire points towards the afterlife, 10% of what you acquire are convert into merits points in which you can use purchase skills and items to help you in these worlds.]

Kirin slight pouted his lips, looking like a puppy who has been hurt, "I can't believe you couldn't have told this to me before we entered this first world."

[The explanation would be much smoother once you've entered and have been submitted the memories of the former.]

Kirin raised a brow in amusement, "I think that will depend solely on the person themselves. For me, given my past life, it was easier for me to take it into consideration."

[Have you decided what your tasks will be?]

Kirin nodded his head as he looked outside the window, taking a deep breath in. For some reason, he felt very refreshed. "Can additional side missions be added later on?"

[Most certainly. However, these side missions will be issued by the higher authorities. These side missions will be in line with your main task, so be rest assured; they won't make you do anything ridiculous. If you complete your main tasks and leave this world without completing the side missions, there will be no deduction or punishments.]

"I can live with that. Now, for my main tasks: (1) Mend the severed bond between Jin and I and (2) Help Jin ascend back into the heaven realm," Kirin stated and S-01 recorded those tasks into its system.

[Now that your official tasks have been record, I will now leave things to you. If you need any assistance, just call for me] S-01 reminded before its wisp-like orb disappeared.

===

"My king? Have you awakened?" a soft child-like voice came from the opposite of those closed doors.

"You may enter," Kirin answered smoothly.

Opening the door and entering were three child-like creatures, each dressed in simple yet rich beige colored robes with protruding canines. Kirin also saw that they had horns sticking out from their heads as their skin color was fairly pale with a hint of gray. Bringing himself to sit down by the circle table, the three child servants placed the tray dishes they held in their hands onto the table, revealing exquisite meals – each that was made from the flesh of other demons. His brow lightly twitched when he overlooked the dishes. 

Glancing over to the three demon servants, they all held their hands in front of them, fidgeting slightly, almost as if they were trembling. Looking back into Hua Yu's memories, Kirin say how coldly he treated these loyal servants of his. In the end, Hua Yu devoured them, turning them into his source of energy. Just thinking about that made Kirin sick, but after all, demons eating demons was not an uncommon thing.

"Aza, Ai, Ao," Kirin softly called out.

"YES?!" they all shot their heads up to look at him, answering in unison.

Kirin chuckled. They were quite adorable. Though Kirin was a hitman, because of his special position, he got to choose which missions to take. When others taunted him for being not being able to kill a child, Kirin always taught them a lesson, which resulted always resulted in their deaths. But there have been cases where Cain ordered him to take the lives of children. That haunted him for a long time, especially since he was the eldest in his family when they were alive. He was always fond of children, loved seeing their carefree nature. So, when he was ordered to kill children, it would take him at least 8 years to recover from the event.

The demons all stared dumbly at their king. Their king has never laughed, not even smiled, at anyone before! He was always very cold, oppressive and intimidating. But for some reason, today, their king seemed different.

"Today, I don't feel like eating Kai's dishes," Kirin languidly stated.

"Are you sick, my king?!" Aza shouted.

"Are you crazy?! It's our king! How could he have gotten sick?" Ai retorted.

"Maybe he just doesn't have an appetite," Ao's timidly voiced his opinion.

"Kai is the best cook in the demon realm, everyone would kill just to eat his dishes," Aza remarked.

"Hm~, are you saying I have bad taste, Aza?" Kirin leaned his arm on the table, resting his head against it, staring at them with his peach blossom shaped eyes.

The blood drained from Aza's face as he rigorously shook his head, "No, no, no, no, no, my king. That's not what I meant!"

"How could you have offended the king like that? Have you no shame?" Ai voiced out again.

"Big sis," Ao tired intervening.

Kirin mused as the three bickered endlessly with a gentle smile on his face. "Ah~! What should I do? I don't want to eat these dishes that Kai personally cooked for me, but I don't want them to go to waste either. Ah, what should I do?" he helplessly exclaimed, shifting his position as he tucked one arm underneath the other with a palm cradling his face as if he was in distraught.

The three demons exchanged nervous looks. They could not help salivating over it as they brought them over from just the mere scent.

"Tell me, what should I do?" Kirin asked helplessly.

"U-u-um, if my king doesn't mind. H-h-how about..." Ao timidly stuttered.

"I give it to you three? That's an idea," Kirin gave an unreadable smiled.

The three noticeably straightened their backs, muscles clenching tight. They knew that their king has killed several servants before. They were just children, but that didn't matter. They knew they were going to lose their lives today if not sooner.

"Ao, come here," Kirin sat back up.

Ao trembled as Aza and Ai paled. Ao didn't want to die, but his body moved on its own. Aza and Ai wanted to stop their little brother, but their bodies couldn't move. They were scared stiff and quickly clenched their eyes closed, titling their heads to face the ground. When Ao reached Kirin, he anxiously glanced up to their king. Such delicate features. Their king did not look like how other demons looked, deformed or ghastly looking. Their king looked heavenly, if you ignored his oppressing aura. His peach blossom shaped eyes and the alluring beauty mark the was located underneath his right brow by the tail.

Kirin reached over and held Ao's face by his jaws, lightly pressing them open. Ao quivered. Was his king going to rip his tongue out?! Ao clenched his eyes shut, trembling like there was no tomorrow. Suddenly, he felt something slip into his mouth and the fingers on his jaws loosened. With his eyes still clenched, he began chewing whatever was placed in his mouth. His eyes snapped open has his mouth was bursting with flavor!

"Is it good?" Kirin smiled.

Ao's eyes sparkled as he nodded his head crazily. Kirin chuckled a melodious chuckle, causing the other two to open their eyes. Their younger brother was still alive. How?

"Come. Come eat up so this doesn't go to waste," Kirin motioned for them to come over.

Hesitantly, they finally approached. Seeing Ao stuffing his face, the other two thanked their king and began feasting as well. Watching them eat their fill, from Hua Yu's memories, these three were siblings and orphans in the demon realm. They often starved because no one dared to pay them any mind. Even after Hua Yu took them in, they were always offered such little portions. But now that Kirin was here, he wasn't going to allow innocent children to suffer.

Standing up from his seat, his sudden movements startled the three.

"Don't worry. After you three are done eating, bring the dishes back. Don't tell anyone that you ate the food or else they might start a riot, alright?"

The three nodded their heads in unison.

"I'm going to be going out for a few days. Be sure to behave, okay?" he stated as he tenderly rubbed each of their heads. "I have to find someone very important to me... And after today, no more demons are to be served as food."

The three were taken by surprised, but liked the warm affection their king was giving off and smiled big smiles. Little did they know that Kirin had placed protective charms on them for their safety. Of course, being children it was easy to be deceived by such gentle affections so they didn't mind the intimacy. However, Kirin was serious. He was going to treat them with affection and care. Just because he was a specialized hitman in his previous life, it didn't mean he was completely heartless. He just acted like so to furthering instilling that belief among his colleagues and clients.

Putting on an outer robe that was the shade of the night sky, Kirin departed from his manor back into the human realm.  

55