Promise to a God (4)
2k 6 61
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After Jin got dressed, they ate breakfast and left the brothel. Seeing that Jin was in a much better mood, Kirin smiled as they strolled down the busy streets.

So, this is what it is like to have a true friend, Kirin thought to himself.

Kirin even remembered to give Jin a full body bath, fresh clean haircut and new clothes that did not reek of alcohol and sex. After getting his makeover, Jin was brimming with vitality, charming every single maiden they walked past. Kirin could not help but shake his head at this walking chick magnet.

"So, how do I ascend again?" Jin finally asked with a large hopeful smile.

Kirin slightly pouted his lips, "Did you not remember what I said?"

Jin averted his eyes skillfully, pursing his lips into a childish smile. For a grown man, it was quite amusing.

"*sigh* Before you ascended, you never once thought about entering into godhood. All of your deeds you did out of your own good will, unlike other people. So, first, you'll need to clear your mind of such thoughts," Kirin explained.

Jin raised a brow, "You really think I'm a good person?"

Tilting his head over his shoulder to give Jin the 'really?' look, Jin smiled at his reaction.

"I honestly don't think I'm all that good, or well-natured. Just like every other person, I have my own dark desires. I thought that by doing all those deeds, I'd be something more, someone worthy of being in this world; that maybe I could make this world a better place so children didn't have to suffer like I did... but I only made things worse..."

*SLAP*

A fragile but strong palm connected to his back, making the skin where it was hit, sting. The slap on the back even caused for Jin to move two steps forward. Looking over, confused, he saw a smirk on Kirin's. Jin returned the smirk with his own. "Fine! I get it. Stop being negative; I'll try!" 

"We'll go north," Kirin responded as he began walking away.

"North? Why north? That's-," Jin began but was cut off.

"That's where your main temple resided and where the epidemic began. Because of the recent outrage and the slaughtering of the people up north, I'm certain there are many who are seeking refuge as we speak. Without your blessings and protection, you have left the north vulnerable to evil demons and malicious people for the past few years. I may be a demon king, but unlike the heavens, not all demons are willing to bow down to me. So, that's where we will begin," Kirin smiled as his eyes took the shape of two crescent moons.

Jin walked over to Kirin, hooked an arm around his shoulder and remarked, "You were always the smart one between us!" Rigorously rubbing the top of Kirin's head, Jin laughed a hearty laugh, one that made Kirin feel tingly as it vibrated through his bones. Though Jin was just in the slumps earlier, nothing could compare to sunny personality he had right now. How lucky of you, Kirin thought to himself as those words were directed towards Hua Yu. You were so lucky to have someone like Jin by your side yet...

"Let us go!" Jin laughed as he took ahold of Kirin's wrist and began dashing through the city.

Because Jin's back was faced to Kirin, he did not see the cold expression on his face. For some time now, Kirin had sensed the presence of another worldly being that did not belong to humans or demons. They were being watched. Could this perhaps have been one of the factors to Jin's mysterious death?

===

Although Jin was deprived of his God powers and status, that didn't mean he became completely useless. He still had his fighting skills to rescue the oppressed, while Kirin had money to offer to those in need to rebuild and start new from there. Concealing his demonic aura, Kirin just appeared like any other human, but a rather alluring and beautiful human. Since this was mainly for Jin, Kirin usually sat in the back, monitoring, as Jin fought against demons and rogue cultivators. He only offered help when Jin was running low on energy, giving him boosts of energy to continue.

They went at this for the next three months, getting rid of rogue cultivators, demons, and giving aid to those in need; never once taking anything in payment.

When dusk was finally approaching, both Kirin and Jin's stomach growled for attention. Laughing it off, they both headed to a nearby town. Jin wanted some soft tender hands to tend to sore muscles, so they ended up going to a brothel...

As they ate and conversed, beautiful maidens tended to them. They were instantly drawn to Jin's bright and magnetic nature. Though Kirin was approachable, he was also humble to keep to himself. After all, it was the male sex that he pursued.

Kirin finally remembered something. "Jin?"

Jin looked over from the voluminous woman in his arms and saw Kirin nip the tip of his left thumb as a drop of blood formed. Kirin outstretched his thumb out. "Before you ascended, you nulled our blood pact. Though we've remained sworn brothers through words all these years, are you willing to form another blood pact with me again, and this time, there will be no nullifications."

All the women who gathered around were quite intrigued by this display of brotherhood, making them sit on the edge of their seats. Though the blood from his thumb was quite nice against his creamy white skin, it was the black mole on his left ring finger that caught his attention. Slightly tucked within the skin between his ringer finger and middle finger, it looked as if it was trying to hid, making it look extremely cute. Jin nipped his thumb, allowing a drop of blood to form, pressing it against Kirin's.

Though the surrounding women did not entirely understand what was happening, they still cheered when the pact was completed. Suddenly, Jin took a hold of Kirin's fingers. Kirin raised a brow in thought. Bringing Kirin's fingers up to his lips, Jin planted a tender kiss on the ring finger as he opened his eyes to look at Kirin.

Kirin smirked at this action and said, "You playboy."

Jin then laughed, pulling back as Kirin withdrew his hand. The maidens were all jealous and wanted to receive a kiss on the fingers too, trying to fight for his attention but Jin resolutely refused, saying that it was done on a whim.

"Ladies! Though I may be surrounded by countless flowers tonight, my heart only belongs to one," Jin began. "Her skin as white as the moon, eyes as black as the night, lips as red as blood, her temperament as warm as the sun, so, tonight will be my last night with you all. Please understand."

Though they were reluctant to let go of such a handsome man, they obeyed obediently as they were dismissed.

In their one room with two beds, before they went to sleep, Kirin curiously asked, "The Moon Goddess, is she really that beautiful?"

Jin turned to the side on his bed and looked over to Kirin. "Heavenly beautiful."

"I'd hope so. She is a goddess," Kirin joked and Jin laughed.

"The first time I saw her when I ascended, I fell in love at first sight. But she was quiet, reserved, elegant. It was hard for anyone to approach her, and she had countless gods that wanted her as a wife, but she never yield. I like a strong independent woman. It wasn't until 500 years later that she willingly allowed my advances, saying that she'd like to be together with the intention of marriage."

Hearing the warmth in his voice when he spoke of her, for some reason, Kirin's heart had a strange tingly sensation. For the past three months, as they spent more time together, Kirin found himself having quite a lot of fun with Jin's bright and quirky personality. There was even one night where they went gambling, and because of a never-ending streak of winning, they were both kicked out, laughing in unison.

"I can't believe this stubborn bull of mine is in love. Feels like it was only yesterday when we were children," Kirin smiled. Though it wasn't his memories, they sure did feel like them.

When he turned to face Jin, Jin was looking straight at him with eyes that looked as though they saw right through him.

"... I want to say this again, thanks, A-Yu. For being by my side. I truly could not have gotten up on my own without you. So, thank you," said Jin.

[Task 1: 'Mend the severed bond between Jin and Hua Yu' has been accomplished. Thank you for your hard work.] S-01 notified Kirin through his head.

===

After Kirin was certain Jin had fallen asleep, he snuck out the window into the secluded flower tree courtyard.

"Come out. I know you've been following us for quite some time now. What do you want?" Kirin asked lazily.

Appearing from the shadows was a man dressed in black and red armor pads. He had a string jaw and sharp eyebrows with narrow phoenix eyes. The crest on his armor was also very visible underneath the night sky.

"And for what purpose do I owe the Martial God of the South a visit?" Kirin inquired.

"Why are you hanging around him? You are a demon. He was once a god. Those two existences do not coincide with one another," the martial god asked in return.

"You should know I care nothing about the rules of the heavenly realm. I'm by his side because I am his sworn brother. Regardless of whether I'm a demon and he a god, we made this pact before any of that. So, answer me this, who are you to tell me to stay away from him? You, a fake sworn brother, who did not lend a helping hand," Kirin spat.

"Why do you think I'm monitoring him from the shadows? To make sure no harms comes his way," the martial god answered.

"Or it could simply be because you are looking for the right opportunity to kill him. After all, he is now mortal. He has nothing against a god," Kirin continued as he looked up to admire the flowers in full bloom on the trees.

"I think you are misunderstanding this, Demon King."

"Oh~, am I? Being a demon has its benefits too, you know. I can sense it when someone is filled with dark, evil and malicious aura. A blackened heart has no boundaries, not even for gods," Kirin languidly blinked his eyes, shifting his gaze back to the god.

The martial god's face darkened, the aura surrounding him became heavy, filled with killing intent. But none of that bothered Kirin. Hua Yu's position and power were on par with the Heavenly Celestial Emperor, meaning he was above all the other martial gods, and they were all aware of that. Kirin flashed a calm smile.

"Watch yourself, demon," the martial god growled before disappearing.

After sensing the god's presence was gone, Kirin called forth his most trusted aide.

"Yuno."

 A black cobra slithered out from the darkness, transforming into a young man in in black robes. "I'm here, my king."

"There are some things I need you to do for me." 

61