Promise to a God (5)
1.8k 3 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the days turned into weeks, and weeks into months, Kirin kept Jin busy, occupying him with aiding others as he provided additional aide, setting up protective spells on those they have rescued to prevent any backlash that may be inflicted upon them that may result in their hate towards Jin. Kirin was sure to take extra precautions.

Kirin also did not forget to take Jin to visit his manor again from time to time. And when he went, a feast was always held, and Kirin made sure that demons were not to be served at the table anymore. Many of the demon and ghost servants have noticed the change in their king - he was a lot warmer, more approachable, charming and elegant. He was also very benevolent towards everyone, and every time he smiled or laughed, flowers blossomed in the air as a halo shined around him.

"I can see that things have become much livelier than ever here! Must be because of my influence," Jin winked.

Kirin could not help but roll his eyes as he hand-fed a dumpling into Ao's open mouth, who was sitting on his lap.

"My King! That's not fair!" Aza and Ai shouted out in unison.

"Ao is the youngest of you three and the most frail. Of course, it is my duty as king to make sure everyone is well taken care of," Kirin smiled, stuffing another into Ao's smiling face. Ao was clearly rubbing it into his older siblings' faces.

They puffed in anger but did not dare to ruin the feast. Seeing their pitiful states, Kirin helplessly chuckled as he fed each one of them a plump and stuffed pork steam bun. As they chewed happily, Jin watched as the scene played out. It was such a heart-warming scene. He'd want his wife and children to be just like that. It was perfect. But as he continued watching Kirin hand-feed them, he became slightly irritated.

"Alright, alright, alright. That's no fair for me. I've been with your king longest and he has never hand-fed me. Not once," Jin enunciated.

"That's because you're a grown man," Ai heartlessly answered.

Jin gawked at that response. "But what about when you guys grow up? He's not gonna hand-feed you guys forever."

"No! We're gonna have him pamper us forever!" Aza retorted, going on the offense.

"I-I-I like it when my king feeds me," Ao timidly answered, tightening his grip on Kirin's robes.

Jin's jaws dropped. "What have you been teaching these young children?!"

Kirin laughed, "Ahahaha. If you're jealous just say so!"

"Jea-! Wha-! Me?! Jealous?! No way. Once I get married, it's going to be the most beautiful in the entire heavens that hand-feeds me," Jin retorted.

"Hm~, there's no one else who can compare to our king, not even the most beautiful woman," Ai answered with a stuffed mouth as Kirin wiped the corner of her lips.

"Right~!" Aza sang as Kirin placed another chicken drumstick into his bowl.

"Y-yeah!" Ao also commented and Kirin laughed, leaning his cheek on top of his head.

Even the guards by the doors could not help but chuckle. Not wanting to try to argue with these demon kids, Jin pouted his lips as he turned his head the other way, clearly sulking. Kirin tried stifling his laughter, causing his stomach to hurt.

Seriously, a grown man trying to fight with a bunch of kids, and lost. AHAHAHA how funny!!

"Here, eat," Kirin picked up a piece of roast duck, and it was the most tender piece of all.

With his expression brightening, he happily took the piece of meat into his mouth. Chowing down on the meat like a child, Kirin's expression softened as he took a piece for himself. Ao watched the subtle exchange between the two and noted it into his heart.

"Alright, let's not bully the poor man anymore. Just eat your dinner," Kirin told them and they all answered.

===

After dinner, Aza, Ai, and Ao helped cleaned up and left as Kirin guided Jin around and back to his guest room. As soon as they entered the room, Kirin casted a sleeping spell onto Jin. Jin plopped onto the bed and Kirin exited the room. He then placed another protective spell around the room so that nothing could get in or out until he deactivated it.

In his study, Yuno was there, waiting for him.

"It's just as you suspected. All the civilians and demons who have received aid from Lord Jin were targeted. But lucky for them, they have your protective spell," Yuno reported.

The protective spell Kirin placed on them not only protected them from harm but from ill fate as well. If a god altered their fate so that they'd met a terrible end, Kirin's spell would activate and counter that. For example, if the god of fate changed it so that one of the rescued mortals would venture into a forest and get devoured by monsters, the protective spell would activate making them change their mind about entering the forest. But that placed a heavy toll on Kirin himself. Now that Kirin was alone, his complexion was paling, making him look sickly as color drained from his lips with beads of sweat forming on his forehead.

"I know it isn't my position to say, but are you going to continue this forever? Your body can only take so much," said Yuno.

Kirin struggled to shake his head in response. "No. You're right. This isn't going to go on forever." Kirin looked over to give Yuno a sickly smile. "I have a visit to make."

Yuno just stared at his king who was clearly suffering. All for that fallen god. But it is also because of that fallen god that the life in his king's eyes returned.

===

The following day, Kirin made Jin go back to the human realm by himself with Yuno as his companion.

"What? Why aren't you coming along with me? Is there perhaps a woman you're hiding from me?" Jin arched a brow playfully.

Kirin rolled his eyes with a sigh.

Jin gasped, "Women?"

Kirin chuckled and lightly tapped his shoulder, urging him to go. "I'm feeling exhausted. Yuno is my most trusted and most skilled man. He will accompany you in my place."

Jin slightly pouted his lips, "But I want to travel with you."

"You'll be fine. Go."

Dejectedly, Jin parted with Yuno.

"My king, are you going to sleep?" Aza asked.

Ki Rin lightly shook his head. "I'm going to a place crawling with bad things," Ki Rin smiled and lifted up a finger to his mouth. "Don't tell Jin, okay?"

The three agreed.

===

Arriving at the gates to the heavenly kingdom, Kirin was immediately stopped. But with a quick flick of his sleeve, he sent all the heavenly guards flying away before leisurely making his way up the jade steps to the palace.

Many of the martial gods heard the news and quickly made their way to halt the demon who arrived unannounced.

"You dare enter into our realm uninvited! You think you'll be leaving unscathed?!" one of the gods remarked, having their weapon pointed at Kirin.

Kirin eyed the weapon, gently flicked it, and that sent an explosive blow, sending not only the weapon by the God holding it a few meters away.

"You send spies into my domain and you dare talk to me about trespassing? How amusing. And don't feel so flattered. I'm not here to see any of you. There's only two gods worthy of my attention," Kirin responded elegantly. "Even with all of you gathered here, you can't defeat me." 

It was true and they knew it. Still in full alert, suddenly, there was a rumble up above and a thundering voice in the air.

"Let him pass," said the thundering voice.

All the other gods' mouths dropped but because it was the order of their emperor, they could only grit their teeth and back down, allowing Kirin to pass.

Entering into the golden hall, Kirin was greeted with a heavenly figure that sat at the top of the stairs on a golden and white marbled jade throne. Dressed in an off white robe with golden embroidery, the God had his black hair tied up into a bun with ornaments inserted, decorating his appearance. His strong jaws were chiseled as his golden eyes bore into Kirin. Even though he was not exerting any spiritual energy, Kirin could feel the very core of the god's energy; he was someone who overpowered Kirin by ten folds - to say that Kirin was on par with the Heavenly Emperor was a joke, however he was not shaken by that fact. It was going to take more than just that to scare Kirin.

"And for reason are you here today, Nameless Demon King of the demon realm?" he asked.

Kirin glanced around, showing that there were eyes and ears everywhere, watching and listening. Taking it into account, the heavenly emperor dismissed everyone in the hall, and even placed up a sound barrier to prevent others from hearing them.

"No need for such fake formalities. I'm just here to ask a few questions," Kirin announced.

"Oh, and what may they be?"

"...Martial God of the North, Lord Jin, what was he like here?"

"... This was where he belonged. He was welcomed with open arms; he was a man of promise, one that shined like the sun, drawing everyone to him. He was unshakeable, well-respected and humble. It's hard to come by a god who isn't too indulged in their own ego. He never asked for more than what he needed," The Heavenly Emperor went on to explain as he stood up, slowly walking down his grand steps.

"You say that he was well-liked, but it didn't seem like that when he needed aid."

"That was up to fate. If he tried to change it, fate has its way of coming back, and it did, bringing with it an unimaginable rage that brought him his own destruction, especially as a god. As a god, he should've known better than to trifle with mortal affairs that were out of his control," The Heavenly Emperor remarked as he stood about an arm's length away from Kirin. "If it was those people's destiny to die, he should've stayed out of it."

"If he chose to do nothing, he would've perished either way. Banishing him and branding him as a fallen, it was your way of showing him mercy instead of being forgotten. But that mercy is nothing more than a farce for you to ridicule him. You may think you have everything under your control, but you don't," Kirin narrowed his eyes.

The Heavenly Emperor was amused and began circling Kirin, "Oh~? Do tell."

"I've investigated the land of the North. The soil was healthy, the humidity just right. There has been no war within the last hundred years, and crop production were more than enough and the population was steady. If famine was to occur, it wouldn't have happened until another 100 years. Yet it came, 100 years early, mysteriously. And on top of that, a strange epidemic broke out. People would begin bleeding from their orifices, but instead of red blood, it was black. Sores and blisters began forming on their bodies as if they've been fried alive," said Kirin.

"And your point is?"

Kirin lazily slide his eyes to meet the Heavenly Emperor. "Someone was obviously intimidated by Lord Jin's position. That a newcomer like him was well-liked and immediately rose in ranks and in followers. I've been around for some time, so it isn't hard to pick out that someone felt like their position and authority was being threatened of being taken over.

You of all gods, I'd expect you to have more class for being the emperor of all the gods."

The Heavenly Emperor let out a chuckle. "What are all of these false based accusations?"

"Did you not confess so yourself?"

"Do you not know what flattery is?"

"Of course, and that's what you did. No more games. Why did you do it?"

Eyeing Kirin for some time, an unreadable smile crawled onto his face as he turned his back to Kirin and walked a few steps forward.

"Yes, you are correct. I felt threatened." 

54