Chapter 130: Mistaken Demoniclasts
108 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You haven’t seen any demon activity? No reports or requests from farmers or merchants at all?” Indrek asked incredulously.

After a hard two days ride, they had arrived at the Brio Wyn region. The green rolling hills the area was known for seemed quiet and peaceful but they were on high alert. Few people lived in this region, but they were lucky to meet a wandering shaman on the road. 

“No, it’s been pretty quiet here,” the shaman answered. “The last demon I saw was a tiny lyfant in a farmer’s woodpile a month ago.”

[Gawen Borlase]

[Lvl 11 Shaman]

The middle-aged shaman removed his hat and scanned their large party. He carried an old gnarled staff and a large backpack. Freya assumed he was probably in this region to collect ingredients to sell. Judging by his level he wasn’t a particularly strong shaman, but if there were problems in the region he could recognize the signs.

“We received reports that there was a rising demon infestation here,” Indrek said. His deep voice turned darker, “A merchant even reported two dead demoniclasts.”

Gawen tightened his grip on his staff, “I’ve mostly been in western Brio Wyn, but I haven’t seen or heard anything like that.”

He appeared flustered, either from the news or the implied accusation. Freya sympathized with him. Infamous Biscuit and the others had reported the same thing. There weren’t any signs of a demon infestation in Brio Wyn.

This is seeming more and more like a trap, she thought with a sinking stomach.

Gawen scratched his head, “But you’re the second group of demoniclasts I’ve seen this week.”

“What?!” 

Indrek looked at the shaman even more perplexed than before. Then he relaxed a little bit as he rubbed his chin.

“Hm, did a powerful group hear the rumors and deal with the infestation? But what group could it be? All the major groups were in Corrin. This is why we need better communication,” Indrek grumbled to himself. 

From Freya’s understanding, the demoniclasts only vaguely reported their whereabouts. Most moved randomly to wherever they were needed. However, during the demoniclast trials, almost all could be found in Corrin. 

“What did they look like?” 

Kamdale asked, pushing his horse forward. He looked down at the wandering shaman. Gawen took a step back. 

“I don’t remember well,” Gawen said, fiddling with his hat. “They all had swords. Ah no, one had a bow and a quiver of arrows. Just average-looking demoniclasts I suppose.”

“Did they have well-made armor and clothes?”

“Um, yes, I think? I only saw them from a distance.”

“Where did you see them?”

The intensity in Kamdale’s eyes made Freya uncomfortable. 

“I was collecting bregum roots far off from the road and I saw them pass by. The exact place is probably a two days walk from here. The road splits up ahead, I was on the western route.”

“We should find them,” Kamdale said, turning to the other demoniclasts. 

Meng and Daveth nodded immediately in agreement. 

Indrek questioned, “What’s the point in meeting them? We should check the eastern road. Perhaps the demons are concentrated in a small area on the eastern side of Brio Wyn.”

“They’re not demoniclasts.”

Indrek’s expression turned stern as Kamdale resolutely continued, “They’re demons disguised as demoniclasts.”

“Kamdale, we’ve been over this-”

“And you’re a fool not to see it!”

“It’s impossible. Demons don’t have that ability!”

“How would you know? You haven’t seen them!”

“Your paranoia is clouding your judgment. Normal people are capable of murder. That man who tried to kill you was insane. He wasn’t a demon.”

Kamdale’s face burned red. He clenched his jaw and spat out, “Just wait till one of them tries to kill you.”

He jerked the reins of his horse and turned down the road. Meng and Daveth followed without a word. The shaman jumped to get out of the way of the horses. After some hesitation, Botan urged his horse to catch up to them. 

Indrek sighed loudly. Freya patted her horse to settle it after all the shouting. 

“I don’t know what’s gotten into him,” Indrek said, massaging his temples. 

Will they find any players? Freya wondered, looking down the road. The dungeon is that way, but if the shaman saw game players two days ago, I doubt they’ll stick around there that long. Unless they really are setting up a trap. 

Her heart prickled as she thought, If they are setting up a trap should I stop them? Would it be better to let it happen? But if they target innocent demoniclasts...

“Do you want to go with them? Do you believe his theories?”

Indrek’s voice broke Freya from her dilemma. He watched her with a reserved and cautious air. Freya bit her lip. She wanted to follow them, but not for the reasons Indrek suspected.

“I don’t believe him, but I am worried. What if innocent people get killed?”

“Kamdale wouldn’t do that.”

Freya hesitated. She wanted to refute that. But how to explain it? Should she tell Indrek the truth now that they were alone? 

“What if some of what he said was true?”

4