Quarter Finals
304 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Izumi felt excited. "That… That was amazing, Tsu!" She joined hands with Tsuyu.

The frog girl blushed but looked happy. "Thanks, Izumi-chan. But I think now is Ochako-chan's moment, kero."

She looked at her other friend.

Ochako smiled. "Don't worry! I'll do my best! Just watch me!"

(…)

"WE ARE NOW IN THE QUARTER FINALS! ONLY EIGHT PARTICIPANTS REMAIN! FOR OUR FIRST COMBAT, ON ONE SIDE WE HAVE THE GENIUS INVENTOR, DA VINCI WOULD FEEL LIKE AN IDIOT COMPARED TO HER, MEI HATSUME!"

Mei waved excitedly at the public. Even though she hadn't intended to win her previous fight, it was obvious she wasn't going to waste the opportunity she got.

Needless to say, she may have let her previous victory go to her head.

"AGAINST THE CUTE BRUISER, DON'T LET HER TOUCH YOU UNLESS YOU WANT TO FLOAT TO THE SUN AND BURN, OCHAKO URARAKA!"

Meanwhile, Uraraka wasn't as nervous as during her previous encounter, looking more focused this time.

"MECHANIC AND ASTRONAUT, PREPARE AND… FIGHT!"

Just like in her previous encounter, Ochako dashed towards her opponent from the start, using her Quirk on herself to move faster than normal.

And just like she did against Denki, Mei used her rocket-shoes to dodge. "Haha, that won't work!" With a frown, Ochako made a second attempt but the inventor dodged again. "As you can see, there's no possible way for you to hit me."

After another pair of failures, Ochako started feeling frustrated.

Though Mei was undoubtedly talented, she wasn't taking the Festival with the same level of seriousness as Ochako and her classmates.

I can't play the cat and the mouse with her like Kaminari-kun did. She narrowed her eyes in determination. Exhausting myself pursuing her is not an option. I need to win and do it now!

She inclined forwards, her muscles tensing and readying.

"As I told you, that's useless! With my babies on, I am a way, way faster than yo−!"

In an instant, Ochako's form blurred and struck Mei like a truck, blasting her violently against a contention wall.

Once the resulting dust cleared, the public was beyond speechless.

Both girls were not on the platform anymore. Mei was unconscious and somehow suspended in the air, her back to the cracked wall. Ochako sat on Mei's torso, straddling her, her expression strained.

Despite how illogical the scene was, it was clear Ochako was somehow keeping Mei from falling.

They were just there. Not quite floating really. Just stuck to the wall, completely defying gravity.

"WHAT IS THIS?! THEY ARE BOTH OUT OF BOUNDS!" yelled Present Mic.

"Stop making hasty judgments." His co-host chastised him. "As long as they aren't touching the ground the fight isn't over yet."

Having collected herself, Ochako jumped back to the platform.

Without her intervention, gravity slowly took hold of Mei again and she floated down.

"Hatsume is out of bounds. The victory is for Ochako Uraraka!"

Despite her victory, Ochako didn't look particularly happy.

I feel sick... Not wasting a second, she ran to the girl's bathroom.

(…)

Everyone from Class 1-A was surprised, including Izumi and Tsuyu.

"I knew she had gotten better with her Quirk but I didn't expect that, kero."

"I g-guess she really went Plus Ultrawith her training." Tsuyu snorted at her comment.

Meanwhile, their classmates talked in excitement about how incredible Ochako's victory was. Only Katsuki was quiet, his eyes fixed on the way Ochako had run to.

"Hey, dude, shouldn't you be going? It's your turn," said Denki.

"Don't tell me shit I already know." He stood up and left.

"I wonder if that catholic girl can exorcise the assholeness out of him? Though, I fear if she did, there probably wouldn't be anything left." Practically all the class agreed. "One can only dream."

(…)

On his way, Katsuki crossed paths with round-cheeks. The stepping stone that got bigger all of the sudden.

She looked about to walk past him and he was going to let her until he didn't. "You remove gravity from shit, don't cha?" he grumbled.

Ochako looked at him with confusion. "What?"

"That's what your Quirk does." He looked at her as if she were stupid. "Takes gravity out of objects… It isn't fucking supposed to do that crazy shit you just pulled against that gear weirdo."

Ochako understood what he was trying to say and smirked. Her face looks so fucking weird when she does that.

"If you say so. You'll have to figure it out for yourself next fight, assuming you don't lose," she said in a cheery voice. "Break a leg." She walked away, acting quite smug for someone that probably had just vomited her guts up a moment ago.

"Tsk. I'm going to break more than one… Just not mine."

(…)

"ANOTHER SHOCKING BATTLE WILL BEGIN. THE MERCILESS ANGEL OF CLASS 1-B, IBARA SHIOZAKI! VERSUS THE ANGRY IMP OF CLASS 1-A, KATSUKI BAKUGO!"

"Who the fuck are you calling an imp?!"

"Oh. What a disappointing opponent." Vines sighed.

"HEAVEN VS HELL! WHICH SIDE WILL TRIUMPH?!"

"Whatever you fucking say," Katsuki smirked. "When I end with this, Vines. You are going to need to grow your fucking hair again."

"How crass." She frowned in disgust.

"SO GET READY AND− START!"

They attacked at the same time. A great part of the vines was burned by Katsuki's explosion and yet, they kept elongating and advancing towards Katsuki, who continued attacking as he back-stepped.

Dammit! Vines won't stop attacking for a sec nor will she move from her fucking place either… No fucking way I'm the only one retreating! He shot a flash explosion, blinding the girl so he could escape her onslaught.

But to his surprise, a vine wrapped around his leg, stopping his attempt at a surprise attack.

"Insolent sinner!" she shouted with her eyes closed tightly. "Even if I can't see you, God can and so do my vines!"

"Fuck!" He destroyed the vine and jumped away but more vines advanced to him from all directions.

Seeing no escape, Katsuki shot himself airborne, going progressively higher and higher.

"So you can keep growing your lame plants instantly despite my attacks, huh?! Then, let's see what you can do about THIS!" Shooting small fast explosions one after another, perfectly timed to make his body rotate forwards, Katsuki became what could only be described as a flaming wheel.

He descended towards Vines, destroying all obstacles in his way, and connected an explosion at point-blank range, tossing her to the other extreme of the platform.

He didn't follow with another attack, though, noticing how the girl was struggling to stand up.

Deku would shrug off that little damage. Round-cheeks and even Frog-face would too, probably. It seemed his assessment of his opponent was right. Her Quirk is half-decent, but at close range, she can't do shit… Being static while she fights is a huge fuck up and her pain tolerance sucks too.

"Tsk. Just give up if this is your limit."

The girl sat up and Katsuki knew immediately something was wrong. "N-no. It's not." Her hair was piercing the ground.

Suddenly, the ground behind Katsuki was torn apart by a series of ridiculously thick vines that wrapped around him before he could react. They forced his arms in an awkward position so his attacks wouldn't help him to escape. Then, having him effectively locked in place, the vines squeezed him.

"Yield," ordered Vines. "Do it or I'll have to make the fury of God rain upon you."

"S-stop spouting dumb shit, you chuuni!" He yelled as he stirred in the vines' hold.

He refused to let this continue further. He couldn't lose. He couldn't let the girl humiliate him in such a way…

However, all his attempts of resistance or escaping were failing.

It was absurd. It was infuriating… It was scary.

He couldn't do anything. Just like that time a year ago with the slime villain.

Gritting his teeth, he put all his strength into trying to escape, only for the vines to squeeze him tighter.

"Such an atrocious individual... I pity you but I won't repeat myself. Yield or you'll force my hand!"

"T-THEN FUCKING DO IT! BECAUSE THERE'S NO FUCKING WAY IN HEAVEN OR HELL I'M GOING TO YIELD!" It didn't matter if his opponent were All Might himself. He wouldn't ever betray himself or his ideals.

He would be the No.1 Hero, so he couldn't be defeated by a mere extra.

Katsuki kept struggling, that sense of weakness and uselessness growing and growing by the second, telling him he couldn't win. That he was just another pebble in the lake.

But the more those feelings grew, the more the rest of him wanted to resist.

At least Midnight hadn't given the victory to Vines yet. And he was going to make sure she wouldn't as long as he was still conscious.

Which at that rate wouldn't be for long.

Suddenly, though, he felt the squeezing decreasing in power. Looking at Vines' face, her discomfort was obvious.

Don't.

She was biting her cheek, while the hold of her Quirk became doubtful.

She wasn't following what she said before. It had been just a bluff.

Don't fucking dare

From the start, she just expected him to get scared and yield. But when he didn't, she started feeling uncomfortable at the idea of actually having to squeeze him into unconsciousness.

After all, even if she didn't like him. She didn't want to hurt him seriously.

Anyone else would find that comforting.

Not Katsuki.

"DON'T LOOK DOWN ON ME!" He moved his arms, ripping apart the vines around them, and sent a blast down, finally freeing his body from the plants. "DIE!" A good old huge explosion was enough to burn through the girl's Quirk and send her out of bounds. Her hair now looking a lot, LOT, shorter than when the fight started. "Fucking told you."

"The victory is for Bakugo!"

He left the area quickly, wanting to escape from the public's gaze, feeling like everyone pitied him because of his almost defeat. That everyone was thinking he was weak.

Didn't you do the same with Deku, though? You underestimated her, thinking she wasn't worth enough for you to fight her seriously. And that only made you lose that exercise. The treacherous part of his mind made his presence known. So what's the difference? She even got mad about it as you did. I guess, now you know how it feels to be seen as the weak one.

NO. SHUT UP…! I won. I fucking won! He repeated like a mantra but the feeling of inferiority remained.

(…)

"Huh? Baku-bro is taking a while to return," commented Kirishima.

"Now you mention it, it's true." Mina nodded. "Weird. With how hard-headed he is, I doubt he went to the infirmary."

"Knowing him," added Denki, "he is probably hiding somewhere, licking his wounds because a girl almost kicked his but− OUCH!" He screamed as Jiro prodded him with her jacks.

Izumi was overhearing their conversation, unsure if she should be worried. He can't be taking nicely the fact he was so close to losing. She shook her head. No. I have no time for that.

She stood up. "W-wish me luck, girls."

"No need to! I'm sure you can kick that purple guy's butt," said Ochako excitedly.

"You'll do it fine, kero. Just remember not to answer him. No matter if it sounds important or if he makes you angry. Push him out of bounds before he gets the chance to try anything funny."

"Yes!" Izumi nodded and hugged Tsuyu.

She wasn't completely sure why she did it. It just felt as if it would give her the strength to win.

"K-kero."

As soon as the hug finished she ran away.

"Wait, Midoriya!" It was Mashirao. "Could we talk for a second? It will be quick." Izumi nodded, feeling curious. "It's about that guy, Shinso."

"Yeah?"

"Tsuyu-chan told you about his Quirk, right?" She nodded again. "Well, there's an important thing about it, she probably didn't notice..."

(…)

"FOR OUR THIRD ENCOUNTER, AN INDISPUTABLE FAVORITE, HAIL THE EMERALD BUNNY, IZUMI MIDORIYA!"

"Favorite, uh? It's an honor to be able to fight you." His voice was dripping with sarcasm. "Crushing you should get me a seat on Class 1-A, don't you think?" When she didn't answer, he continued. "Of course, you were told about my Quirk too. That's two in a row. Damn meddlers." He groaned in frustration. "I saw you talking with the stupid monkey, just so you know… But I wonder if it was really him? You've been all friendly with that ugly frog?" With that comment, all her calm went out of the window. "Oh, so it was her, then." He smirked.

"VERSUS THE UNDERDOG FROM THE GENERAL DEPARTMENT, HITOSHI SHINSO! WILL HE CONTINUE HAVING LUCK ON HIS SIDE, OR WILL THE SMALL MIGHTY GIRL CONTINUE HER RISE?!"

"See? How little credit I'm given for getting here. Just because I don't have a flashy strong Quirk like yours."

Izumi's face was red in anger.

"READY?"

"Not that I'm expecting you to understand when people are already comparing you to All Might. It won't matter after this anyway."

One could almost hear her teeth gritting.

"SET?!"

"I'll finish you off and then your pet frog next. Usurping her place should be easy, not as if anyone would miss some freaky mutant."

"GO!"

A crack echoed in the stadium as Izumi reached Hitoshi in a flash and her fist crushed his nose.

He rolled to the edge of the platform. Just a little push and the victory would be hers.

"W-wait!" he yelled, getting on his knees. Covering his bloody face with his right hand while lifting the other one. "I give up…"

A bit of her anger disappearing, Izumi almost uttered a 'what' in response.

The boy was a complete asshole a moment before, and now he was giving up because of a single punch? Was his conviction that weak…?

"Did I listen correctly, boy? Do you want to yield?" asked Midnight.

"Of course not." Hitoshi's painful expression was replaced by a satisfied smirk as he got back on his feet. "Give me a hand and fight her, could you?"

"Excuse m-?" Midnight paralyzed, making Izumi blink in confusion.

She paid harshly for that carelessness as something thin but strong hit her face, knocking her down.

Her cheek hurt a lot. It wouldn't surprise her if she was bleeding.

She had no time to check, though, as she rolled out of the way of a second attack, a whip hitting the place she was a second before.

Opposite to her, Midnight stood on the platform, her face frozen in a creepy smile. A red long whip in her hand, very different from the short black one she was holding before.

Hitoshi stood behind her, looking beyond smug.

This is not good. N-not good at all!

"It looks like my replacement is ready," he said. "Good luck, Midoriya." To everyone's surprise, he walked out of the platform and sat on the ground.

"TIME OUT! JUST WHAT THE FU−?!" Aizawa's capture weapon tightened around Present Mic's mouth.

"Don't swear," the teacher hissed.

"H-HEY!" Present Mic pulled the cloth away. "We aren't in our bedroom, so don't do that! It's embarrassing!"

"Kill me please…"

"ANYWAY! There's no way brainwashing the referee and making her attack your opponent is allowed!"

"Are you sure about that?"

"EH…?! WE NEED TO CLEAR THIS UP! NEZU, I SUMMON YOU!"

The stadium's big screen blinked to the principal's office.

Nezu looked undisturbed. Taking a very slow sip of his tea before answering, "it's allowed." He took another painfully long sip. "Shinso-kun asked me about it before the tournament started. And I allowed him to use his Quirk to make a member of the faculty fight for him. But only once during the tournament's duration and in exchange for assuming ALL the consequences." Then, the transmission stopped.

Oh, no. Izumi gulped.

"Well. I guess that solved it... NOW LET'S GO BACK TO THE FIGHT!"

Midnight lashed at Izumi and she dodged by a hair, only to be hit by Midnight's posterior attack a second later.

The whip moved fast and hit hard, but Izumi had felt worse. Also, unknown to Hitoshi, she had a good practice at dodging whip-like attacks thanks to Tsuyu. She only needed a moment to get accustomed to her opponent's attack pattern.

Just a hit. I just need one! According to Ojiro, that should be enough to free the woman out of Hitoshi's Quirk.

Izumi dashed forwards, intending to get a hit at close range. However, as a serpent going for the kill, Midnight's whip lashed her away.

She looked at the arm she used to block. The skin was red, bleeding slightly. She is not going to let me get closer.

"You didn't think it would be easy, right?" said Hitoshi. "Don't forget, she is a pro-hero."

Catching her by surprise, the whip wrapped around her right leg and pulled. She fell on her back and was roughly dragged by strength so outrageous, it lifted her from the ground.

"Unlike a regular person, Brainwashing doesn't dull her skills. That's the muscular memory of a trained fighter for you."

Then, Midnight spun her around at such ridiculous speed, Izumi couldn't do anything to stop her. She wasn't sure what would happen to her first; vomiting or losing her consciousness.

"And with my Quirk nulling any kind of unnecessary thoughts and movements, now she is pretty much a fighting machine." He smirked. "In other words, you don't have a chance. Midnight, end this already, it's getting boring."

Following his order, Midnight flung her away.

Reacting in time despite her dizziness, Izumi charged herself with OFA and kicked the wall she was about to crash against. The force behind it propelled her back to the platform.

As Izumi landed, she shot one air-blast from each hand.

Midnight jumped away, moving her whip in circles to shield herself from the flying shards of concrete as Izumi's attacks hit the platform. Even If it's an indirect attack, she will try to block it or dodge.

Izumi needed a plan. She couldn't get close and her long-range attacks were too easy to avoid for Midnight, who kept her distance, using her whip for attack and defense.

As Hitoshi said, Midnight made no unnecessary movements.

But what is an  unnecessary movement,  anyway?

The technique of an amateur like her could be filled with needless moves. But in the case of a seasoned pro-hero like Midnight, even those movements that seemed useless had a reason to be. So, if you took them away, didn't that make Midnight weaker instead of stronger?

Even unnecessary movements could save your life.

"Come on. Give up already," shouted Hitoshi, looking bored of watching them fight.

They kept exchanging attacks. Midnight managed to hit her a handful of times but Izumi always recovered in time to avoid further punishment.

All the while, Midnight constantly followed Izumi with her gaze, reacting to any perceived attack. But if she doesn't see my attack coming…

She had an idea.

Izumi ran diagonally towards Midnight's side and tossed herself to the ground, dodging Midnight's whip.

Delaware Smash! Izumi attacked a last time and Midnight didn't move. She didn't need to, because Izumi's attack was not directly aimed at the hero but the wall behind her.

In the dulled mind of Midnight, Izumi's attack didn't represent a risk so dodging was unnecessary.

But as the Smash struck the wall, it sent pieces of gravel flying out of Midnight's range of vision. A tiny one ended up hitting the back of her head.

Midnight blinked, her eyes recovering their light. "Ouch. What happened?" She rubbed her nape, looking confused.

After a moment, her eyes widened. She looked at the beaming Izumi and the shocked Hitoshi, comprehension arriving at her.

"Oh. I understand now. It looks like someone has been naughty." She licked her lips, her eyes on Hitoshi. The boy stood up and tried to escape but Midnight caught him with her whip. "No, no, no. Nothing of that. We need to have a very, VERY long conversation about using your Quirk on unaware people."Hitoshi cringed but stayed still. Then, Midnight looked at the public. "Now, the victory is for Izumi Midoriya, of course! Let's go to a short recess as the platform is repaired… again.The woman walked away, pulling Hitoshi with her.

The boy looked miserable. But sadly for him, he had been too much of a bastard for Izumi to help him.

"This was so weird," Izumi muttered, happy to be able to speak freely again.

(…)

Izumi had her cuts checked by Recovery Girl. Then walked towards Tsuyu's waiting room, wanting to wish her luck.

Unfortunately, she crossed with the last person she wanted or expected to see.

"There you are, girl. I need to have some words with you," said a muscular red-haired man, the lower part of his face covered in a beard made of fire.

"Endeavor," she muttered.

"I have to recognize it, you are strong. Your Quirk almost reminds me of All Might's. Under normal circumstances, you could easily get first place. But with my son here and in your side of the bracket, third place is the best you can hope to get…" Izumi frowned. "It doesn't matter. You'll be a good enough stepping stone for Shoto. Maybe, he will finally stop with that stubborn behavior of his and use his fire-"

"Wait," she interrupted the man, keeping her eyes down to hide the little flame of annoyance burning in her. "N-next fight, it's Todoroki-san versus my friend, sir… You don't know yet if I'll get to fight him or not."

Endeavor scoffed. "Tsk. That's ridiculous! My masterpiece won't lose against a mere frog."

Izumi clenched her fists, flashes in her mind of what she did to Hitoshi for saying something like that. I need to leave, right now!

"Hey, we haven't finished talking." Endeavor tried to grab her shoulder but she used that to avoid him. From Endeavor's perspective, it probably looked as if she just teleported away from his reach.

Izumi looked over her shoulder at him, not hiding her true emotions at all. Her body crackled with green electricity. "Don't touch me."

Endeavor froze in shock.

"I'll say it just once: You aren't Shoto. Shoto is not you. Your failures don't reflect on him, just like his victories won't on you." The man finally reacted, his expression distorting in rage. She couldn't care less. "You, sir, have no place here. This fight, it's only between him and me. So don't interfere."

Having said that, Izumi walked away, ready to dodge any possible attack the pro-hero could send her way.

Endeavor made no moves but his hateful gaze followed her until she crossed the hallway.

(…)

Izumi entered the waiting room in silence and sat beside Tsuyu.

"Izumi-chan?" Tsuyu looked at her in worry.

"I… I just told Endeavor to fuck off."

Tsuyu blinked. "You did what?"

"I mean, n-not actually in those words but… almost?"

"Kero." She sighed. "It's like I thought, you seriously need a babysitter to stop you from getting in trouble."

"T-that's mean."

Tsuyu giggled. "In any case, at least your silliness helped me with my nerves."

She wanted to pout but decided to address the more urgent situation. "It's fine. I know you'll do well, Tsu."

"Really?" She nodded "How, kero? Because I'm not sure myself… I don't want to be a frog popsicle. Frog popsicles sound gross."

Izumi had to make an effort not to laugh. Is Tsuyu always this silly when she is nervous?

"Frog p-popsicles sound cute but I don't think you'll be one today." She grabbed Tsuyu's big hand.

The frog girl smiled. "It feels bad, Izumi-chan."

"What?"

"The idea of fighting Todoroki. He is possibly the worst match I could get. Literally the one I'm least probable to win, kero."

She shook her head. "You are w-worrying needlessly."

"I know, kero. It was different during the race and against Tokage. Then, I simply tackled every challenge as they came, trying not to think in terms of victory or defeat. I simply gave my best. But now, I can't avoid feeling restless."

Izumi smiled. "You know, that's exactly h-how I felt when I fought Katsuki." Tsuyu's eyes widened. "I was nervous and a bit scared. Despite all my training, I just couldn't imagine myself winning."

"You were the one that chose to fight him, though," Tsuyu interjected.

"Y-yeah. I set aside my personal feelings in the matter a-and followed my logic. In the end, it went well. The thing is…" Izumi searched for the right words. "I'm glad I d-did it that way."

"Kero?"

"Because when I had Katsuki in front of me those doubts I still had vanished. Facing him was something I n-needed to leave my fears in the past and keep going forwards. It didn't even matter if I won or not, I just wanted to show him and myself that I could do it… I think it'll be the same for you."

"You think so?"

"Yeah. Y-you'll be fine." She hugged Tsuyu.

"You know, you have been really huggy today, kero."

"A-ah! Sorry, I-'' She tried to back up but Tsuyu's arms stopped her.

"It doesn't bother me, kero. Actually, I'm really glad you feel that comfortable with me." Tsuyu finished the hug, looking almost reluctant to do so. "You are really warm, Izumi-chan. And I'm going to need a lot of warmth for this."

Tsuyu approached slowly. For a moment, Izumi believed the frog-girl was going for another hug. Instead, Tsuyu's lips connected with her cheek.

It was a short and innocent peck. And yet, for Izumi, it felt like All Might breaking through the wall shouting 'Oh, yeah'.

Suddenly, a lot of stuff made sense. The reason Tsuyu had been so nice to her from the start. And why she felt so comfortable toward Tsuyu after knowing her for a time so short.

Tsuyu liked her. And considering the sweet mess that was her mind at that moment, she liked her too.

"Thanks for everything, Izumi-chan. Now, I'll go kick Todoroki-chan's butt, kero." Looking a lot calmer and more positive than before, Tsuyu left the room, leaving Izumi paralyzed. Her hand on the point where Tsuyu had kissed her.

Oh, god. I need to t-talk with someone about this! She didn't trust herself not to trip with something and die at the moment, so she took her cellphone.

Her mother would probably die in the middle of the conversation and talking with a guy -even a friend like Tenya- would be awkward, so Ochako was her better option.

She just hoped not to be the one to die in the middle of the conversation instead.

(…)

Okay, she was feeling her soul trying to escape out from her blushed face.

"I'm so happy for you two!" said Ochako, her hands on Izumi's shoulders as she shook her in excitement.

"We d-didn't even talk about it yet. I'm not sure where this exactly leaves us…"

"Duh! You like each other and she kissed you. So you are dating. Kinda. What else is to say?"

"It was on the c-cheek!" she added in a rush, before smiling shyly. "Though, it w-would be nice."

They approached the stands and took a seat.

"Hey, girls, did you see Bakugo on your way back?" asked Kirishima, somewhat worried.

"Eh, Katsuki?"

"Eh, did Bakugo go somewhere?" Ochako looked around, immediately noticing him approaching, like a specter that needs to be called thrice to be summoned.

"The fuck are you saying about me?" he asked while taking a seat.

"Ah, nothing, bro. Were you in the infirmary?"

"Why would I go there? I'm fucking fine," he sounded defensive.

"Man, that girl almost squeezed you like a grape."

Katsuki glared at him and then Minoru who had snorted. "Bah. It wasn't worse than what Raccoon-eyes did. Strong or not, there was no fucking way I was gonna lose against someone that fucked up because they didn't want to hurt me." By his tone, the comment was directed at Mina too.

"Geez, sorry for not melting you into a puddle," the pink girl complained.

"As if you could." He smirked, some of his energy returning. He turned at Izumi and Ochako. "And you two, better not fuck up too."

"E-eh, me too?" It surprised Izumi that he was even taking her in consideration.

"Of course you too, Deku! I had fucking enough with two botched fights. And darn Half-and-half is going through the same path. At least, I know you are taking this seriously even if you fucking suck."

Is he complimenting us? At least for Katsuki's standards, it seemed that way.

"I hope you don't regret that," said Ochako, looking at him with an intense expression.

"I won't." His smirk widened.

Izumi looked at them in confusion. What is happening?!

(…)

"AND TO FINISH OFF THE QUARTERS FINALS, ANOTHER CLASH OF CLASS 1-A STUDENTS! THE ICE KING, FREEZING THE COMPETITION, SHOTO TODOROKI! VERSUS THE FRIENDLY FROGGY GIRL, JUMPING TO VICTORY, TSUYU ASUI!"

Shoto looked at his opponent.

Tsuyu was a capable individual. But to his eyes, nothing special. And considering her particular mutant physiology, she wasn't going to be able to do much.

His victory was already a fact.

"LET'S SEE WHO'LL BE THE LAST TO JOIN THE SEMI-FINALS! COMBATANTS, GET READY AND− FIGHT!"

Stepping forwards, Shoto sent a huge ice attack that covered the front part of the platform.

A pair of seconds passed with no signs of Tsuyu. Shoto turned to walk away, giving the fight as won. "Call the match," he said to Midnight.

"Right." The woman simply smirked, looking past him.

He turned around again but it wasn't quick enough to avoid being lashed by Tsuyu's tongue.

He fell on his back, seeing Tsuyu getting on top of the iceberg. She was hiding behind it the whole time. Then, she slid down the ice formation, making a huge leap towards him.

"Not going to happen." Shoto sent a second iceberg to intercept Tsuyu.

Looking behind, the girl used her tongue to get a hold of the first ice structure, pulling herself away from the incoming attack. She swung around it and threw herself forwards, landing some meters beside Shoto.

Again, he had no time to react before she struck him a second time.

"You shouldn't spam attacks so m-massive, Todoroki-chan. It'll become difficult for you to see what y-your opponent is doing, kero."

Shoto rushed to attack but she jumped away.

Being part-frog, she was greatly agile like that. However, that factor was also rather bad for her. Soon enough, as the stadium temperature lowered, so, too, would her internal temperature, and eventually, she would pass out.

Actually, she was already shivering.

Meanwhile, he could endure the cold a lot better... However, for only using his right-side, the frost was slowly covering it, slowing him down and making dodging Tsuyu's tongue almost impossible.

Their fight was of attrition, with him having the theoretical lead.

However, it didn't feel like that. After a minute, practically all the platform was covered by ice structures. Leaving him almost no space to move around and quite a lot of places for Tsuyu to hide and attack when he least expected it.

He couldn't keep attacking hastily without risking trapping himself.

There was no doubt, considering her last comment, Tsuyu had seen this coming and was now taking all the advantage she could.

Their fight passed the two minute mark and his right-side was seriously in a bad condition.

"Y-y-you are l-looking bad, T-Todoroki-chan." He heard her voice a long distance behind his back.

As he turned around, Tsuyu's tongue wrapped around his torso and she pulled herself towards him. With the cold dulling his reaction time, he attacked too late. He couldn't do anything as Tsuyu kicked through his ice and hit his chest.

They both fell to the ground roughly.

Taking a long moment to sit, feeling incredibly languid, Shoto looked around. Tsuyu was still laid there, trembling.

"I p-promised I-Izumi-chan that, k-kero… I would k-kick you..." she muttered, before closing her eyes.

He just stared at her.

"What a surprise, the victory is for Shoto Todoroki!"

Shoto felt dazed and confused. That didn't feel like a victory.


If her fight against Mei wasn't enough of a hint. I made Ochako considerably OP, not like she wasn't already, kinda. You'll see her whole capabilities next chapter.

Hope you like what I'm doing with Bakugo too.

6