Chapter 5 – Is This Luck?
241 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It came to Sebastian's attention that the maid who usually attended the king was about to leave due to marriage. Even though this was a great opportunity to put Elisi to serve the king, he himself wasn't close enough to Jeremy the butler, the person in charge of hiring the king's personnel and a good friend of Dalion's.

Asking the king to hire Elisi would welcome an instant rejection and invasive questions about his real motives.

In the end, he might be even accused of deceiving the king. Sebastian did not want to go through something like that ever again.

It almost cost him his life and that of his family back then.

When Dalion turned sixteen for he became of age they could no longer keep him isolated away from society. They could no longer pretend he was sick.

People were demanding to meet the crown prince. Everybody was curious to see him after hearing he had the three holy sports under his eye. A sing he was blessed by the gods.

That urged them to allow Sebastian to teach the young prince some magic. For the most part, a prince must learn magic since childhood.

Also without proper training, his powers were becoming dangerous. The king himself started to fear him.

He was no longer the fragile bitten little boy they tried to raise.

His father the king, unable to accept the new reality accused Sebastian of treason for being on Dalion's side instead of his other son Algot.

Although he always treated them equally, it was that Dalion became obsessed with his training.

Such determination from Dalion brought the father and son's demise. It was either him or them.

As he got older it became impossible for them to tame the beast they have created, instead of growing weaker, he was becoming stronger with each day.

The King could not withstand his unfavourable son becoming so powerful and Dalion's rage towards his father grew for what they did to his mother.

She did not deserve it, she should still be alive.

His father fearful for Algots life, with all his might and with the exchange of his own life, cursed his first son to die of a broken heart.

Dalion fought back the curse, but not fully. A death curse like that was impossible to avoid, it should have killed him instantly.

It shows how strong he was at the moment and still is. Yet little by little the void in his heart will take him away.

His brother was an accomplice and escaped with his mother leaving his wife and daughter behind.

Sebastian did not mean to have that vast accomplishment with Dalion, he really wanted to help him end that life of misery.

Keeping Dalion in check was still hard for him though.

At least he could become a father figure to his abandoned niece, who now calls him father and he treats her as such as well.

No, no, no, no, no I can't talk to Dalion about Elisi, somebody else needs to recommend her.

He needed to come with another idea.

Sebastian knew the maids always needed to clean the room in the king's absence and if he did happen to enter the room while they were there, he would chase them out as soon as they were noticed.

Being very particular about the cleaning of his room meant the chances of getting transferred were pretty high.

At the end of the day, there were no chances of admiring his looks, only chances of being verbally abused till leaving his chamber.

Only one look of his was enough to give somebody a heart attack.

Although getting fired was very unlikely, the likelihood of experienced maids' ego getting hurt was too high. For them, it was a big burden to bear. It was not at all a risk they were willing to take.

Sebastian sure was counting on this knowledge.

He was in a total plotting mode.

And while trying especially hard to come up with a plan to put Elisi under him, it came to his attention that she was hired to be the king's maid.

"Oh! Now I remember! Jeremy the butler came to ask me about Elisi a few weeks ago," Of course he said she was a wonderful and discreet girl.

He did though decided not to talk about Elisi's healing powers, something that would have worked against her.

The King had a severe dislike for healers as they were the ones who hit him as a child making sure no scar was left on his little body.

Although the king knew they were forced by his father, he still could not bear the sight of them.

Feeling unsure about such a turn of events, Sebastian went to investigate a little bit further about the reason for Elisi's hiring.

One of the mages that were acquainted with one of the maids told him that a very big reason for her hiring was that she was already serving him. Actually, that was the only reason, he said to Sebastian.

Therefore the task went naturally to Elisi.

He couldn't help but wonder if this girl had some divine luck or the worst of lucks.

Elisi was a young woman, although not astonishingly beautiful, she looked pleasant to the eyes. Conveniently, she was a healer not from this world and had a nice temperament that could fit the moody king.

And on top of that, at the right moment, there was a spot available to be the king's maid. Things couldn't align more wonderfully with such minimal effort.

He was left amazed, trying to think about this turn of events.

*****

Elisi was waiting at the kitchen table for Mirna after being called by her.

Usually, that kind of meeting either meant she was promoted, a thing she thought to be impossible since she has not done anything that granted such a thing, and the other most likely reason could be that she was fired.

Where would I go?

She didn't know anything besides the palace.

Are there monasteries in this place?

Mirna always looked at her with suspicious eyes and that look always made Elisi uncomfortable.

Although Elisi was slow in her work, she kept her around to do the work the other maids did not want to do.

She never complained and did as she was told.

Yet seeing such a low maid getting asked to work under the king directly by the butler and without her having any say in the matter; Such thing made her blood boil.

She was a professional, she needed to keep her posture, so she didn't say anything against it to Jeremy the butler.

"Tomorrow you'll be cleaning the king's chambers"

Elisi had the usual look of confusion on her face.

"The king's chambers? Me?"

The maid ignored her state and just went ahead with the instructions.

"If you see the king in the room or does he enter the room while you are cleaning, run away as politely as you can," she continued "While cleaning leave things at the place you found them and always listen to what his butler has to say."

There weren't many rules. Maybe the rules will pile up again later, she thought to herself.

Being told to run away made her a little scared and with rumours of his behaviour, it did not make her feel any better.

"Please do your job well and don't embarrass me. Do you understand?"

Why are they asking her to be the king's maid? She was a beginner maid with no previous experience. Mary would have been a much better choice.

How come they expect her to be with the king?

She wanted to refuse.

"Here are some new shoes, try to look presentable at least"

8