Chapter 7 – The King In The Darkness
200 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“If you turn on the lights, I’ll kill you!”

Elisi instantly turned into a block of ice when she heard him speak. She definitely should run away, but her body froze.

What's his expression? She could not see.

Her demeanor might be quiet, but her mind was always busy with many thoughts indeed. Such as why does she have such bad luck?

Doesn't he know she is here to help him? Sadly, she knew the answer to this question.

Sebastian told her not to reveal she is a healer unless he asks her.

“Then how can I clean? It’s too dark!” She could imagine the king asking her to clean under impossible conditions. Definitely, it wouldn't be the first time somebody did.

Did I just speak out loud?

Elisi definitely did not intend to disturb the peace, especially not that of the king’s.

When she was about to apologize, he spoke to her.

“Close the door,” he said.

His presence terrified Elisi. In a hurry, trying to please the king, she closed the door at once, trapping herself inside the unlit chamber.

Getting nervous always made everything worse.

At that moment, she realized her misdeed and wished she was a mere ghost who could trespass walls.

If she were to open the door, the light would come in and he would surely get upset again.

She was stuck between the sword and the wall.

I don't want him to get angry.

“……..”

The silence unveiled her noisy mind.

“What time is it now?”

“It’s 10 in the morning, my majesty”

Then her train of thoughts got cut by the king.

“Who are you?” The king asked in a soft and sleepy voice.

“I’m Elisi, the substitute maid. I was called to clean your room, your majesty”

As if being under a spell, her legs walked towards what she thought sounded sweet, like a watermelon.

Instead of leaving, she was stepping deeper and deeper into the big honey trap.

“Be careful... there’s a table over there“

It was too late; she bumped into the hard surface. Was it build of lead?

The bump completely took her off out of the hypnotic state she was in, making her realize how close she was to the king.

Even though it hurt, complaining about it was something she could never do. She did not make a sound.

“Oh! Your highness, I should leave you to rest”

“I don’t think you’ll be able to leave unless you have magic”

“………”

“My majesty?”

“You can sit here. Stay quiet”

Something touched her hand. It appeared electricity struck her as a hand grabbed hers and led her towards the seat.

She truly did not expect to be touched. Her shoulders rose with little shivers and her hairs stood up like tiny needles. 

She tried to release herself, but he wouldn't let her. How could he touch her so easily, he might have regretted ever doing so, so why?

Her hands were not pleasant to the touch. After long days of hard work, they became brittle. Sadly, she had no means to change it. It was embarrassing for her to show herself like that.

While stiffly sitting on the couch, she tried to relieve the tension in her body. Elisi was glad he wasn't able to see her so nervous.

She wondered if it truly was the king next to her.

So far he has been kind for helping her in the dark, but right away she remembered the first words that came out of him and got shivers all over her body again.

Then Elisi got worried about Mirna.

She failed to exit the room when the king spoke, talked back to him, disturbed him.

Definitely, he can't be pleased with her. This might be her last day...

So many thoughts were running through her head.

His presence was mighty, like an invisible god.

Then she also remembered his voice. It was strong, yet so very soothing. So pretty, she thought. She wished he spoke more.

His face she did not want to see, she did not want to be disappointed with his looks or his personality. He sounded too beautiful. It made up for everything.

She wanted to keep daydreaming about him like she used to. Maybe it was better to think of him as a king with a pleasant voice, but an ugly face.

Elisi, lost in her deep thoughts, slowly fell asleep. Then a little sound woke her up.

“Did I fell asleep?”

She put her hands over her mouth for having spoken out loud again. Did she have a death wish or something?

Were her eyes open or closed? The infinite blackness kept her disoriented.

Then a small cry was heard just from beside her.

So dark, I can’t see what’s happening.

“Mmmmmmm”

“Mmmmrr”

Is he sleeping?

Even though Tiago and Sebastian guided her, she became anxious at the thought of doing something while he was dreaming, something she definitely shouldn't do.

They didn't teach her anything about when he slept.

What would he think if he wakes up, he definitely would be disgusted.

Please don't wake up...

Elisi made a brief prayer before she reached him.

As if about to touch a forbidden fruit with her hand, she approached him cautiously.

Elisi's touch was as light as possible to not wake him.

Her gentle hand calmly landed on his shoulder. She felt relieved it wasn't a weird place.

“Mrrmmm”

“Mmmmrrmmmm”

Tiago's embarrassing words flit in Elisi's ears. Guided by his words, she gently caressed his forehead, then immediately felt the king's trembling body passing through her.

So sorry she was to him for having to feel her awful touch. It was truly comforting knowing that he is sleeping and won't have a recollection of this.

He moved a little, and Elisi tried to back away. Her body flinched with fear, then taken back she felt his warm hand grabbing hers once again.

Although she wanted to help him, his touch made her too nervous. Instinctively she pulled off her hand, but his firm grip wouldn’t let go.

While the king kept whining with her other hand she calmly continued to comb his soft hair.

Her fingertips felt the softness of his hair as they were sliding with ease in between each strand. The little bunny at the tower couldn't even compare. She never got to touch anybody this way, not even her mother or even Tiago.

It was so soft it was pacifying her down as well.

Please, at least make him feel better...

She could not feel her powers yet. She couldn't tell if she was relieving his majesty’s pain or not. 

His past always reminded her of herself's and his future more pitiful than her's. He did not deserve that end.

An impossible thing occurred, getting the chance to be by his side and help him. Losing this opportunity shouldn't be an option.

She needed nothing from him. All she wanted was somebody who needed her.

That is all she wished for.

Tiago loved princess Berit. Though she might not feel the same, she needed him and enjoyed his presence to the point she got jealous of their studies together.

Sebastian had his own family who loved him and needed him.

Even though they encouraged her, they did not need her for support.

Reading and knowing about the king from the book enabled her to be more attached to him.

Although he had a rigid demeanor, he never actually did wrong to people.

Somehow Elisi felt calm in a supposedly eternal moment of horror, so calm that once again she fell asleep on top of his shoulder.

6