Chapter 12 – Who Is There?
160 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Still, in shock from the day before, Elisi was standing behind the door looking like a frozen deer.

“Come in”

The King could feel her anxious presence from behind the door.

“Ah!”

Hurried by his voice her hand turned the knob and faltering she entered the room making small steps, almost looking like a little duck.

Again the sight of the darkness blinded her eyes.

“Why is it always dark?” Elisi blurred out.

Her heart stopped when she realized she said it out loud, it was meant to be just an inner thought.

She needed to stop this bad habit of speaking out loud at random times.

“You can figure it out...”

“...”

Does he have headaches too, she wondered?

“That's right, headaches”

“...”

Sea otters, sea otters, sea otters, think about sea otters! I completely forgot! He just read my mind because I'm nervous. Sea otters!

“I see Sebastian taught you how to block me”

Did it work?

She felt relieved knowing her thoughts are free from his observance.

The King kept asking about her studies as a healer and his voice wrapped her like a thread that pulled her closer and closer to him.

Without noticing she was already beside him.

“Do not fall asleep and watch over me”

He is asking such things all of the sudden, how can she respond to that?

“Should I purify your headrest first?”

Elisi slid down her sit and dragged herself to his side.

She settled her hand on what she believed was his pillow, but something warm and bumpy was underneath her hand instead.

It’s a face! His face! How could she attempt to put her hand on his face, he must have hated it!

“I’m sorry! Excuse me, your majesty,”

Elisi immediately took off her handoff and tried to run away, until hitting herself with the table. She was too desperate to evacuate and before she was able to make her next move something tugged her arm and pulled her back towards him.

“Where are you going?”

I don't have an answer, I just felt like running away for having made him so uncomfortable.

But Elisi kept silent.

“Continue”

She calmed down. In the end, she wanted to be there for him.

Now that she had some idea where the pillow was, she lowered her hand to the touch of his hair that was coating it like heavenly velvet.

The sudden feeling of his soft hair made her a little nervous. Pretending she didn’t notice the strands she continued to purify his cushion.

His hair made her want to brush it like she usually did. The feeling of it between her fingers was like little moments of bliss, but it would be too weird to do it while he is awake.

She shook her head like a dog trying to get rid of the water on his fur.

All of a sudden she became very embarrassed about what transpired those nights, how come she caressed him so freely. What was wrong with her that she didn’t question it until now.

“Will you not touch my hair today?”

When she heard him ask such a thing, Elisi got ready to run away once again.

Was he awake all the other times?

He tightened his hand on her arm again, even before she finished her train of thoughts.

“You see? You are not supposed to leave a patient in need”

Elisi closed her eyes tightly in embarrassment. She could not escape him. Mix feelings of shame and joy surrounded her.

This is too crazy, am I in a dream?

His presence and his fresh smell encircled her all around. Now she wanted to run away from the impure images that were flashing on her head. Even if she did not see his face yet, he was too vivid inside her mind. He was too close to her.

“There’s no use in running away, Sebastian will send you back”

Her hand headed towards him, but she stopped before she could touch him.

“Arent you repelled by my touch?”

She thought he will feel tainted by her touch, maybe at the moment getting over his pain was more important than logic.

He took her hand and laid it down on his forehead.

“I just want to ease my headache and I don’t like to wait”

Her tense body loosened after hearing his voice and stayed by his side with no more signs of running away.

Elisi continued her motion and passed the tip of her fingers between his blessed hair. That made her feel little sparkles of joy, it was like they shone in the darkness and lightened the room. She was supposed to just touch his forehead, but it was too late to stop. If he said something she would.

she was too happy to be able to soothe him and she was happy he was the one who asked for that.

Today he wasn't crying in his sleep and his head remained free of sweat.

Elisi with a warm feeling fell asleep once again by his side.

******

She woke up abruptly, a pillow was underneath her head and a blanket was over her.

A few weeks have passed. Elisi already thought she might not get to see the king's face. She has been told from the beginning that being a servant of the king didn't mean necessarily getting to meet him.

Hearing his voice while they had little talks and feeling his presence was enough to make her happy. Seeing him getting better made her feel useful. She couldn't ask for more.

Feeling needed is all she ever wanted.

Wait I've heard some movement!

I can't let the butler see me like that. I don't want to get in trouble.

While her face was still on the divan, she looked behind her as much as she could.

She could see the end of a long green flowery embroidered banyan.

Is not the butler!

6