Chapter 14 – The Bunny
162 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Although it was just the afternoon. It was dark and cloudy.

The tower, consistently being on the darker side, incentivized Sebastian to scatter candles around the floor. The light of the flames always gave a gracious and reddish glow to space. It was a homie and nostalgic mood.

Even if they could use magic light, Sebastian ever preferred the candles and so did Elisi.

Still feeling miserable, she put the fluffy animal on her chest; she needed to warm up.

Elisi hugged him tightly till he looked relaxed and with the touch of her fingers; she kept petting the adorable bunny on her lap.

Elisi, still unstable, was glaring right at the candle, looking hypnotized by the dancing flame, then lowered her head and talked to her silent companion.

"Are you getting better? What are you doing there, little guy?"

It surprised her how quiet he stayed with her, he also looked like he was busy with her apron.

"Eh? Oh no! The bunny ate my apron... Now there's a hole in the middle!" Said while making the saddest of faces.

"Mirna will...!!!"

Elisi out of the blue began sobbing uncontrollably like a raging toddler.

The bunny that was still in her arms was trying to escape, frightened by her loud crying. Sebastian noticed the situation and reached with a slow run to rescue the animal before Elisi became more volatile.

"let me put you back to comfort little fellow," said while he grabbed him.

"The tea didn't help, I see..."

After closing the bunny's cage, he came closer and sat next to her.

"I get the cork finally snapped after a full life of resisting tears and emotions,"

She always held her concerns as deep down as she could, that's what continually kept her safe. Not showing her sentiments was the only thing she could control in her life.

She tried to avoid thinking about her past, and now it came to her like a great wave.

The touch of the king's hand was lingering in her mind.

"Did you see the king? Did you get overwhelmed by him? He has that kind of effect... but now it's your chance not to run elsewhere like before"

She constantly kept running away from the light, back into the darkness until the next time she lightened again.

"Why? Why was I ever like that?" said a little loudly.

She grabbed Sebastian by his arm and held onto his robe as if begging for mercy.

"My mother pushed me to the street. All I needed from her is to know if she was ok... that's all...what if she wasn't ok... I ... I never... why? It was cold!"

Her sobbing was paining Sebastian. How could he console her?

"My mother despised me because I brought to her life the opposite of what she called for. My father just hated my mother, then he shunned me... I could never bring joy into their lives. They always told me that. I tried my best to stay quiet"

Her ugly crying had no sign of stopping and Sebastian stayed by her side, hoping it will help her feel better.

"I... I was always in the way o....of everybody!"

"Elisi, please calm down my dear"

Despite all the stories of how bad the king was, he treated her well. He put pillows under her head and blankets on her when she slept. Seeing how beautiful and kind he was unnerved her.

"Why would he want somebody useless like me to be on his side?"

Elisi clenched onto her clothes as if trying to get rid of the miseries of her heart. Every tear was burning her, crying was taking so much from her.

Memories she wanted to forget were making her drown.

"You've got a second opportunity. Isn't it wonderful?"

Sebastian pulled her back onto the surface.

“I want to be helpful!"

She looked at him with her big watery eyes, breaking his heart.

Tiago and he could always feel her silent, shattered soul. They did not wish to press on.

Even though if this moment wasn't easy, he was glad she finally opened up about it.

He needed to cheer her up, couldn't let her be like that anymore. She will fall deeper into it.

Sebastian put his hands on her shoulders, staring at her with an encouraging look in his eyes.

"Listen to me... You are! You are helpful! Very much indeed! "

"Am I?" She sounded as if told her a big secret.

"The king has been sleeping better. Even went back to work and is not hiding in the darkness as frequently as he used to," he continued. "The animals and the flowers are thriving, my dear Elisi"

Elisi stopped crying. She wanted to believe his words; she needed to.

Her eyes were still soaked in tears, and tiny hip caps were distracting her from heavy breathing. She looked back at Sebastian with acceptance.

She got a new life now. Although she could not change herself so drastically, she didn't want to waste this opportunity.

She helped the animals, the flowers, and she could support the king.

If she could help him, maybe the kingdom could be safe, too.

For once, she wanted to look right at the light.

Sebastian continued to be by her side, tried his best not to let her fall into that sorrow again; at least not for now.

*****

When Elisi went back into the kitchen.

Nevertheless, she tried her best to clean her face. Her eyes were still red and sparkly from crying. Tiny hip caps were yet lingering around.

All she wanted was to lay down in bed and curl up with her pillow.

Mirna looked like she was waiting for her, but before a word could be spoken, the butler came bursting in.

"Is Elisi here? She needs to go back to the King's chamber immediately!"

Jeremy grabbed her, and she kept chasing him. He was yet to tell her what it was all about.

Passing through the halls at full speed felt like a chase in a video game. She arrived at the king's room.

He was kneeling on the floor, and a youthful teen was on his side, trying to console him. Tiago who was next to them got up and headed towards Elisi.

"The King is heaving another pain attack on his chest. They stopped since you began working for him, but..."

The young angelical girl came running towards Elisi and grabbed her hands. She was looking desperate and begged her. 

Was she his daughter? But she looks different, as described in the book. Her hair and eyes should be silver like Dalion's. there was no time to think about that.

"Please help my father, I implore you!" 

His daughter kept holding Elisi's hands, waiting for a response

Bewildered, no reaction was coming out of Elisi.

Her own chest was still hurting from before, and she still knew very little about healing. The King seemed to be in great pain, imaginable suffering. How she who knew nothing could help a person in such a critical condition.

Tiago came closer to her when he noticed Elisi's indecision.

"He doesn't like healers. It's only you who can help him," Tiago whispered in her ear.

She woke up from the numbness that started making her dormant again. Just before coming here, she told herself that she won't run away anymore and now it was the time to live up to that.

 

7