Chapter 48 – After
31 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They both stood outside in the freezing snow, staring at each other.

The kings personal knew better than to stay away from the situation.

Elisi's teeth started to make sounds from the cool shivers in her body. Her lips tinted purple.

Dalion moved out of the carriage to keep her safe from himself and here they are out with the healer, almost dying from the cold.

About to unbutton his cape, the king stopped himself.

“Bring an extra cape for her.”

He wished to kiss her once more and wrap her warm; but if he did, it would only lead to more gossip. There were already many speculating gazes near them, needn’t create more.

Dalion allowed his emotions to take over that he forgot about his surroundings.

What they saw must have been interpreted as a lovers’ quarrel. They might think of her as his concubine.

The king needed to stop any speculations from forming on the witness’s mind before something wrong came out of their mouths.

Dalion wanted to avoid a maids like incident from happening again.

“Take the healer to a different carriage. She displeased me enough today”

…..

Now Elisi was sitting in front of Jeremy the butler and a guard. Both concentrated on the pretty view offered by their windows while she sat in the middle of her bench.

Before the king left her, he told her not to be bothered by what he was about to say, that it was to protect her.

“Please don’t resent the words I’m about to say… it’s to keep you safe,” He said as he turned away and separated himself from her.

In between seconds, a cloak was put around her shoulders. Elisi’s sad eyes locked on his majesty’s fading silhouette as they escorted her to a new carriage.

And now here she was, sitting. Overthinking the last moments with the king not knowing where she should position her head or her eyes.

Elisi knew Jeremy the butler for sometime, but she has never spoken to him more than a few words.

Both side windows felt so far. It was like being cruelly sandwiched between these two unfamiliar men. Elisi didn’t want to show her grieving face.

“What have you done to his majesty for him to ditch you this way?” The butler broke the silence.

“….”

“Well, I guess doing nothing can also irritate him. Pay him no mind”

“Mr Jeremy, where are we heading to? Asked Elisi.

“We are traveling to deal with the grand duke of the north, to Ensalia… the king was supposed to see him last time, but decided to come back out of the blue,” Jeremy recalled with a miffed face “we prepared the carriages, all the luggages, the personnel and after a ride of 1 hour he canceled.”

“…..”

“It worked nicely for you…”

Elisi still did not know how to respond, but looked at him with surprise. Maybe he turned back to save her? No way. She shook her head after thinking silly things.

“The grand duke wrote an angry letter afterwards. He holds a lot of power, you see. Coming from the north… connecting to Etalia where the king’s brother escaped, and the rebels resided. On top of that, they have copper. That duke could be a king if he wanted.” The butler scoffed and continued his rant.

“He is annoying. He takes advantage of that. If the duke were to peruse to rule, he would create a war, so he won’t. Also, they are cousins from his mother’s side.… what a tragic story”

Did the butler always talk this much? So much information. Elisi enjoyed it.

“Are we going to Dalion’s mother’s house?”

“I wouldn’t call it a house, but yes?… Hopefully we can arrive there in three days…” after rumbling some more, Jeremy turned to her once more.

“By the way, miss Elisi, where are you from?

Elisi panicked. Should she give the same answer as back as when he is majesty asked? That’s the only place she still knows about the most.

“Mericien,”

“Oh, I know little about that town.”

“Just an ordinary quiet town. It has lovely mountains,” Elisi added, as if she knew what she was talking about, struggling not to get caught.

“What did you father do?”

“He had many random jobs” mostly for drinking, she wanted to add. Elisi didn’t want to make up a job for her real father, so she spoke mostly the truth about him.

“Not the very stable, I see. His majesty and me were curious about you upbringing. I looked everywhere for your records and couldn’t find any to where I thought you were a mediocre spy, but his grace reassured me it does not seem to be the case”

“I’m not a spy,” Elisi shrunk as she defended herself.

“In the end, you are a healer. No wonder the king reacts like that around you. Even though he despises them, healers are great assets after all.”

Elisi lowered her head after hearing that.

The knight was sitting silently, forgotten. Observing the girl in front of him becoming even more timid and the butler kept talking, happy he finally found someone who would listen to his rumblings without interruption.

Now it made sense why she was kept close to the king. She was his healer.

2