Chapter 50 – The castle
30 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Elisi tightened her furry cape and the warm gloves that Nela gave her.

The interior of the carriage was comfortably heated. It was hard to give up the convenience of a safe place before walking into the unknown.

Outside the window, she could see a splendid palace. Not as big as the king’s, but seemed pretty nonetheless. The garden covered snow made it appear more magnificent.

It was the first time visiting a place outside the castle.

“My lady,”

The knight offered his hand to Elisi and helped her come down from the carriage.

Once her feet touched the ground, Elisi thanked the knight and peeked to the sides, searching for Dalion.

He wasn’t there.

Then her eyes fallowed the butler, who opened the door of the next carriage.

Time slowed down when the king appeared.

His white hair and his grey far cape made him look like a snow wolf.

His movements were always slow and sharp. It made sense that he liked archery.

Unexpectedly, he met her eyes when she stared at him. Startled, Elisi’s heart ceased, and she adverted her gaze to recover.

The healer imagined those little snowflakes melting on her clothes.

“Let’s organize,” declared the butler

“Miss Elisi, please stay next to the king and his advisor. I’ll come back in a second.”

It’s been three days since she last met the king. His last words still rung in her head.

Pushed by someone made her realized she was surrounded by so many people Elisi kept moving at their flow. Nobody told her what to do or what to expect.

She should have asked. She peered at the knight that escorted her before. Maybe he could help? Elisi regretted not asking his name.

Then *cough* the king caught her attention.

“Miss Elisi, stand closer to his majesty.” The butler came running to the king’s rescue and waved to her to move “closer…”

Somehow, she ended up a slightly farther from his majesty.

With her usual little steps, she moved herself back to his side. She felt so insignificant beside him. Why did he have to be so towering?

Then, in front of them, dozens of people from the duke’s side stood waiting to greet them.

Which one of them was the duke?

A fanfare started once the king walked to announce his entrance.

So many eyes on them.

“Your majesty,”

A handsome man with light brown hair and hazel eyes bowed towards the king.

“Duke Marion Otto Mor Vant of Ensalia. It is nice to finally see you again.”

The duke was almost the same height as the king. Why are all men so tall here? Elisi was yet to encounter a shorter one. Even most women were tall.

After some small talk, the duke turned to her.

“Your lady looks cold…”

“She is my healer…”

He pretended to be bewildered and feigned concern, but Marion did not take his eyes off her as if struggling to figure out her proper stance.

“Are you unwell, you majesty?”

“I figured I should keep one by my side, like most rulers. I do not want to be left behind”

The duke, still suspicious of his words, let go for that moment.

“Let me guide you to the palace”

Together with the king, they all fallowed while Marion had a small talk.

“Have you visited your mother’s grave?”

“It’s been a year”

“My beloved aunt. I would visit her everyday if I could… her son is heartless like his father”

Dalion smiled.

“She loved you like a son. I’m sure she would be happy to hear she is not lonely after all”

Elisi witness the interesting relationship the butler mentioned about.

Once inside, Elisi got separated from the king, who told her it would be better if she ate with the butler and the other healer. He didn’t want to start a rumor.

“Elisi, let’s go,” said the butler.

The duke watched her from afar all this time.

Marion finally found something he could take from Dalion and he will not let this chance go.

After all, Dalion was the one who took the person he loved like a mother.

2