Chapter 54 – Champagne Pink
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Lady Elisi, you have left me troubled. Therefore, would you be kind enough to gift us with your presence at dinner this evening?” said the duke. His words had a subtle reverence that hinted at more of an ulterior motive.

It was easy to tell the duke has come with some other purpose. 

And with the best of her abilities, Elisi tried to conceal her awkwardness as they seemingly sought to catch her red-handed, engaging in something she shouldn’t have.

Elisi understood it right after the king disappeared a moment ago.

Yet, words failed to come out of her mouth to ease the tension in the air.

As usual, she froze in uncertainty.

Standing behind the duke, Jeremy’s wide eyes silently pleaded to discuss the unfolding events. However, given the circumstances, any form of communication was impossible.

“I did not mean to cause you trouble, Your Grace.”

“No such thing, my lady. I eagerly await your company this evening,” the duke replied with a gentle smile, leaving before she could consider refusing his invitation. 

The butler stayed behind, but the presence of the remaining maids stifled any conversation.

“Lady Elisi, the duke has requested that we prepare you for dinner,” a maid spoke.

Another maid entered the room with a voluminous dress in her arms. Adorned in embroidery with subtle embellishments and a beautiful lace hem.

A luxurious champagne pink shade. A dress deemed for a princess.

“The duke wishes for you to attend the event in this gown, my lady,” the maid explained.

Healers are not supposed to wear fancy garments, for it was believed that flaunting excessive wealth went against their purpose of selflessly healing others.

She had read the novel, understanding that healers were expected to maintain purity and dignity, akin to that of saints who shunned selfish desires like love or family. It was this very reason that compelled many healers to conceal their abilities.

Most people would shy away from living such a restrictive life of constant sacrifice for others, especially when there seemed to be little reward. The notion of not having chosen this path added further weight to their burden.

Only healers in esteemed positions were allowed to wear gems or, if a member of novelty were, to marry a healer. Yet even then, it was a privilege not easily obtained.

“I can’t wear that dress, please tell the duke I’m honored, but unless the kings allows, I can only wear a simple dress.”

Elisi doubted if she should refer to herself as a healer. She was still unsure of the proper behavior.

“You cannot refuse a gift from the duke, my lady. This is a special occasion, and it would be unseemly to embarrass the king,” the maid insisted, while Jeremy interjected.

“Nobody knows of your abilities yet. Enjoy this fleeting moment while you can,” he whispered, his eyes beaming with excitement.

“I will tell his majesty to not get close to the lady so she can enjoy her night”

In that moment, Elisi recognized her own selfishness. Jeremy’s warnings to the king brought her sadness. 

For an instant, she yearned to embody the pure essence of a saint, dedicating herself solely to the service of others. Yet, deep down, she longed to bring happiness to Dalion, for his joy was what filled her own.

‘How selfish’

‘Since the lady’s hair is short, we cannot do an updo” said the maid while playing with her chestnut hair “I’ll adorne it with these adorable pearl pins on the side”

The make up was very natural with a little blush and tint on her lips. 

Elisi looked at herself in the mirror feeling a mix of excitement and self-consciousness. She wondered if her perception of beauty was a her mere imagination, and if now, in reality, she appeared somewhat silly on the outside.

‘Better not to think that way, Elisi’ 

With her inner voice she tried to cheer herself up.

The pearls were so cute, complementing her gown. 

She felt like a princess indeed.

She wanted to twirl and play with her hair and see if Dalion found her appearance pleasant.

Still, she pondered the meaning behind Dalion’s words and questions.

Did her audacity to kiss him upset him?

She didn’t want to think about her actions, her cheeks were already red enough.

“It’s time to go my lady’

1