002 – The Elite
265 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lilith exited the Hall of Hrestyi feeling light-headed and heavy with emotion. Folks loitering outside the pantheon praised her work, as if she had done something extraordinary. It was nauseating.

Don’t they have anything better to do?

Gyllir neighed and came to her side.

She rested her head on the gentle beast’s soft mane. “Thank you, friend.”

“The Valkyrie is wise!” Sven boasted. “Show your appreciation not with words, as their effect wanes with time. Gifts and favours, on the other hand, last forever.”

Instantly, everyone scampered off.

“What are you doing?” she asked the raven.

“Elevating you, Valkyrie.”

“But I don’t want the attention.”

“Quoth! Nonsense. Gifts and favours are the currency of Asgard; the Rule of Reciprocity is at play. Those who live by it, thrive. Those who do not, languish, like many of the lowly commoners in Vestfold. You will do yourself well to remember this.”

“Sven, I’m exhausted,” Lilith told him. “Is there some place I could rest?”

Although there were many inns in the city, Sven advised against spending favour points on needless luxuries such as beds and blankets. Instead, she could craft a hammock out of hemp found in the valley or simply lie on the grass. As long as a piece of land was not already claimed, there were no limitations; she could sleep anywhere.

Lilith imagined the raven could find comfort on a branch under a tree on a snowy day. The thought reminded her of where they had first met. “What about the field with the pond and wisteria?”

Sven wrapped a wing around his beak as if to ponder. “The Sanctuary is rather remote, but I suppose it’s a reasonable option.”

And so, they returned to the site of her awakening.

 

The sky dimmed.

Lilith lay on a slope next to the wisteria and listened to Gyllir quench his thirst by the pond. Sven perched above her, rambling on about Yggdrasil and the System, favour points and rank, alliances and dungeons, and a host of other things she had no patience to understand. At least not right now.

The Sanctuary was surprisingly quiet. Not a chirp from a cricket, nor a buzz from a bee. Even the water was absent of fish. The only life here were the three of them and the plants and flowers.

Gyllir curled up next to her, and Sven finally stopped chattering.

Being in the open air reminded her of Kristof. They would drive out to the countryside and marvel at the stars. He was an avid astronomer and a dreamer, a romantic bard who dazzled her with songs and stories about the constellations. And Erik was their north star.

Staring up at the vast shimmering sea, Lilith saw nothing she recognized, as if she were in an alternate universe.

 

The next morning, Lilith awoke to the sound of a sing-song voice. It most certainly did not belong to Sven.

“Good morning, Lady Valkyrie.”

Clearing her eyes, she saw a lanky man with curly blond hair sauntering in the field. Gyllir greeted the visitor, then trotted eagerly over to the black horse that accompanied him. It was a joyful sight to begin her day.

Brushing dirt and grass off her gown, Lilith said, “Hello. Sorry to be rude, but who are you?”

He smiled and bowed slightly. “I am Hermod, Son of Odin and Messenger for the Gods. Naturally, I come bearing a message.”

“A message?” Lilith wondered from whom.

“Brunhilde Queen of the Valkyries requests your immediate presence at her palace in Ithavoll. That is all.”

“I don’t know her. What is this about?”

“Saga, time to go!” Hermod called out, and his horse came dashing over. After a “Good day, my Lady,” to Lilith, he leapt onto the beast and flew off.

“Good day…”

Gyllir groaned, echoing Lilith’s sentiment of the abrupt departure.

Her stomach churned at the prospect of meeting a queen. Or maybe it was just empty. It felt as if she hadn’t eaten in millennia. Before he left the previous night to survey Asgard, Sven told her she was free to pluck fruit from any tree if she grew hungry. But there were none here, and Brunhilde was waiting.

“What do I do, Gyllir?”

The horse lowered himself, inviting Lilith to get on.

“You’re right. The queen is expecting me.”

She didn’t want to risk angering royalty. Reputation was paramount to success in Asgard, according to her vague recollection of Sven’s words. She would have time to eat after the meeting. And if food was as abundant as the raven claimed, they would come by some on the way to Ithavoll.

Lilith inhaled deep as Gyllir took to the sky.

Mimir’s Eye served not only as a signal; she learned that it also functioned as a map of the nine realms of the universe. Clasping the crystal pendant with her hand, she triggered a holograph-like image to appear in front of her. There was the sacred tree, Yggdrasil, and nine colourful spheres around it. Her eyes locked in on the yellow sphere, and it expanded as necessary.

All of Asgard appeared before her eyes, from the small towns to the big cities, special landmarks to forbidden territory. And as they flew past Vestfold, she noticed the blinking green hero indicator that marked Sigurd’s precise location.

I wonder what he’s doing in the valley…

She made a mental note to pay him a visit.

Gyllir ascended through the clouds into the Domain of the Elite, where Yggdrasil’s trunk continued to dominate the view. Pieces of land, some of which resembling giant leaves, jutted out from the tree at various sections. Each piece was home to a high-ranking god and their estate. Together, the collection of residences formed what the Asgardians called the Kingdom of Ithavoll.

Lilith was instantly riveted by the pretty castles and other grand structures, but she suppressed her inner child. With Mimir’s Eye she located Brunhilde’s palace and made her descent. The folks here seemed indifferent to her arrival, almost dismissive, going about their business as if she was no one special.

“You should wait here,” she said to Gyllir and dismounted.

Through the open gates, Lilith stepped foot onto the Valkyrie Queen’s residence, nervous but determined to make a good impression. A cobblestone path among a well-manicured garden ran all the way to the front door. Halfway there she caught sight of a glowing tree full of rich red fruit. Her hunger pains returned.

No, those apples belong to the queen.

Lilith resisted and continued walking. All of a sudden, a gust of wind blew by, causing leaves to rattle. Then came a thump as an apple fell from its branch and landed on the ground. She picked it up, stared at it, and took a big bite.

“Are you the new Valkyrie?” asked a female voice standing right in front of her, eyes full of disapproval.

“Y-yesh!” Lilith quickly chewed and swallowed. “I mean, yes.”

The girl scoffed. “Come with me.”

Lilith threw the half-eaten fruit into a shrub and followed her into the palace.

Inside, a rich floral scent permeated the air, hinting at the Valkyrie Queen’s strong personality. The main hall featured sculptures and paintings of women in armour, but was otherwise spartan. Lilith felt a tad guilty for the specks of dirt falling from her boots as she walked.

The girl escorted her into a room, where tall shelves lined every inch of the walls. In the center, a red-haired woman in a fuchsia gown sat on a loveseat, resting her head on one hand, while holding up a book in the other.

That must be Brunhilde…

“She’s here, my Queen…” said the girl.

Brunhilde lowered her book and gazed up at Lilith. The girl approached the queen and whispered something into her ear. Lilith smiled meekly, but the woman didn’t mirror her gesture. Instead, she remained expressionless, giving no hints to her current mood.

“Come closer,” she beckoned. “I want to have a good look at you.”

Lilith took a few wary steps forward and stopped several meters from the queen. Brunhilde rose to her feet and erased their gap. The queen’s perfume certainly matched her powerful presence. Caught off guard by the woman’s grand stature, Lilith instinctively took a step back and averted her eyes.

“Odin has crafted a fine vessel.” Brunhilde examined her with critical eyes. “Do not dishonour the Allfather by tarnishing his creation. There are baths all around Asgard. You are a woman, after all.”

Lilith’s face flushed with embarrassment. She hadn’t even considered a change of clothes or how she looked before rushing here.

“Elsa of Engesland…” Brunhilde continued. “She was a fierce Midgardian warrior, a revered queen that led armies to many victories. Her soul is now in this vessel. You are Elsa. Emulate her path and make Odin proud.”

Lilith could only nod. What did she know about being a warrior? If Elsa’s soul was truly in her, she certainly didn’t feel it. Perhaps the queen made a mistake. Annika no doubt thought so from the ever-judgmental look in her eyes.

Brunhilde looked over her shoulder to the girl. “The Dainsleif.”

“Yes, my Queen.” She went to a corner of the library and returned with a sword.

“Thank you, Annika.” Brunhilde took the sword and handed it to Lilith. “A gift for a new sister.”

I have no use for this thing!

“Dainsleif will serve you well in battle.”

She hesitated, but ultimately decided not to insult the queen by turning down her offer. “Thank you.”

“Your work will have great consequence in the war to come.” The Valkyrie Queen strutted back to her loveseat to resume reading. “A word of advice: Do not take what has not been given to you. Do you understand?”

Lilith gulped, knowing exactly what Brunhilde meant. “The apple…I’m sorry.”

“Go.”

 

Lilith zipped to Vestfold for a much-needed meal. Her presence in the city once again garnered enthusiasm from the residents, who offered to bathe her and feed her the best dishes in all of Asgard. She ended up being pulled into a bustling tavern, where there wasn’t a single god or goddess without a glass of alcohol. It also reeked of sweat, but this was a breath of fresh air compared to the Valkyrie Queen’s palace. A sense of comfort warmed her heart. She wondered why she was so reluctant to interact with the locals in the first place.

Bernie, the owner, placed a bowl of fish stew in front of her. “Today’s special: Drunken Rainbow Trout. Direct from the flames of Bifrost. Enjoy!”

Lilith devoured it. “Another one, please!”

It took three bowls to fill her up.

She decided to hang around and enjoy the company of others for a moment. They dazzled her with stories of their own adventures and tales of forbidden love. From light elves to stocky dwarves, they had seen–and done–it all. Sure, they could never compete with Thor, the God of Thunder, but many of them lived respectable lives. And in the end, they would all die anyway.

“Ragnarok is upon us…”

“The fate of the gods…”

“I welcome it.”

“Me too!”

“We will be victorious!”

“Lady Valkyrie, it is in your hands!”

“Fill Odin’s army with the strongest heroes!”

Lilith grew solemn at the reminder of her supposed duty. She never expected to die after giving birth, much less reincarnate as a Valkyrie. The end of the world should scare her more, but it was difficult to care considering she had barely lived two days in Asgard.

“Have none of you heard of the tenth realm?” a loud voice rang through the tavern. “It’s called Earth!”

Her ears perked. Did she hear right?

No. No one here could possibly know about Earth…could they?

Lilith grew curious of the stranger standing on the bar counter. His leather trench coat went well with his long, midnight hair, but the horned headpiece he wore looked utterly ridiculous. He would never get away with it outside Asgard. Yet, she couldn’t help but feel drawn to him. Maybe it was his eyes, which glowed bright in the dim tavern, like twin suns in space.

“I think you’ve had one too many drinks, Lord Loki!”

“I’m very much sober.”

“You can’t fool us.”

“Believe me, I’ve been there myself.”

Lilith couldn’t resist any longer and went over to join the conversation. “Did you say Earth?”

“Valkyrie…” Loki leapt down and stared intently into her eyes. “At last, we meet…”

She wanted to look away, but found herself hypnotized by his gaze. “Please tell me about the tenth realm.”

Suddenly, Mimir’s Eye flashed.

The tavern erupted in cheers.

“A new hero has appeared in the Hall of Hrestyi!”

“Duty calls, Lady Valkyrie!”

Lilith desperately wanted an answer from the stranger. “Have you really been to Earth?”

“Of course.” Loki paused for effect, then slyly smiled. “Many times.”

 

What do you think of Brunhilde? Loki?

10