Chapter 56 – You naughty little girl!
2k 22 89
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Slimes are a common monster found all over the world. Monster hunters don’t normally hunt them since they have no anima cores. It is believed that their entire body is itself analogous to an anima core, hence why they have no discrete core that can be extracted.
—Monsterpedia entry, 112th edition

Asteria

“I saw you! I saw you slap Seraph’s butt!” said Sofia. There was a pair of binoculars hanging on her neck.

Oren and Katja laughed uproariously.

“Is that true? Did you really slap Seraph on the ass?” asked Oren.

I just smiled.

“So what did it feel like?” asked Katja.

“It was very firm,” I said.

“You naughty little girl!” said Katja.

“What’s your relationship with Seraph?” asked Sofia.

“We’re friends,” I said.

“Friends? Friends don’t slap each other on the butt!” said Sofia. She crinkled her nose cutely.

“Not at all. Friends slap each other on the ass all the time,” I said. “Here, let me show you.”

I moved behind Oren, but Katja shoved him aside then bent forward, placing her hands on her knees to offer me her behind. I slapped Katja’s ass with a loud smacking sound.

“Harder, baby, harder,” said Katja.

Oren got ready to comply, but Katja straightened up, and they tussled a bit.

Sofia sidled closer to me and whispered, “No, really, what’s your relationship with Seraph?”

“We’re really just friends,” I said.

“Friends,” said Katja, who’d overheard.

“Very close friends,” I said.

“Did you see his face when she did it?” asked Oren.

“He liked it,” said Sofia. Her cheeks turned pink.

“I bet he did,” said Katja. “Asteria, have you had a lot of practice smacking Seraph’s behind?”

They kidded me about Seraphiel for a little longer, but we soon had to go back to our preparations.

Like us, the priestess was convinced that a monster wave was imminent. I’d managed to persuade her to not broadcast the news to forestall a panic that would do more harm than good. She offered to let us stay in the temple for the duration of the monster wave. Her parents had died the year before so she was the only one who lived here. I guess she didn’t want to be alone when it came time to activate the artifact. It must be scary for her to be responsible for the city’s survival.

After the commanders left, some Lifers came with food, water, clothes, and other essential items we would need during the monster wave. They also had a backup generator that they were installing. Guards were stationed all throughout the temple grounds.

Cooking and dinner kept us busy for two hours. When we were done I asked to see the temple records about the previous monster wave.

Sofia showed me the temple archive room.

“Ugh, sorry about all the dust. I’ve been too busy to clean everything,” said Sofia.

We were in a small room filled with books, scrolls, and paintings. Notebooks, loose papers, and pens were scattered on top of a small hardwood desk.

“No worries. I’m just glad the records are still intact after all this time,” I said.

“These are just copies. The originals were lost a long time ago,” she said. She handed me the catalog of works that could be found in the temple’s archive. “This is the list. If I’m not mistaken, all of the material about the shield should be in… yes, it’s on this shelf.”

She showed me the bookshelf that had over a dozen books, and we got right to it. Sofia had read this before, but she wanted to refresh her memory. We pulled the most important books from the shelves and sat down at the table to read.

“It says here that there should be people monitoring the casters’ vital signs,” I said. I offered her the book, but Sofia shook her head.

“I know, but I couldn’t trust the Kraej. It would be too easy for me to have an ‘accident’ after I raised the shield. Then they could claim the temple since I’m the last of the Parian priests,” said Sofia.

The Kraej had sent some magicians over to examine the artifact. Sofia had tolerated it, but she obviously wasn’t happy about the Kraej Company’s involvement.

“Not if they knew that only your bloodline can activate the shield.” But she did have a point. “I can do it if you’ll trust me. Monitoring and healing people is what I did to survive during the avalanche with my parents. I have a special skill for that.”

Sofia rested her chin on her hand and closed her eyes. She seemed to be contemplating my offer. “I’m not sure. It says in the records that the magicians who monitored the priests were their closest relatives. Spouses, mostly.”

I shrugged. I didn’t want to come on too strong since we’d just met. If Sofia refused my offer, I could help her from afar, but it would be much more difficult.

“Let’s sleep on it,” said Sofia.

“Okay. We should get as much rest as we can tonight since we’ll all be busy tomorrow.” We put the books back on the shelves and retired for the night. It was still early, but I wanted time to meditate.

I spent the night meditating and readying the spells I wanted to use. Based on the records of the last time the shield had been used, Sofia didn’t have nearly enough anima to use the ancient artifact. In “Tales of Vesterland,” Sofia had been able to do it but that had been after she’d leveled up. Even then, she’d fallen into a coma and had to be revived using the Crimson Pearl Flower, a legendary panacea.

Right now, it was probably impossible for her to raise the shield. I’d have to help her.

The safest way to do it would be to let her activate the ancient artifact while I channeled the anima for her. I readied the chibis I would need. Chibis to monitor her body and keep her heart rate, breathing, and anima levels normal. Chibis to protect her mind and keep her calm. I imagined a host of friendly little guys and gals with chubby cheeks and adorable little hands carrying out my orders to keep Sofia safe.

As for me, well, I’m a demigod. I’ll be fine.

My first book is now available on Amazon.

Early access chapters are available for as little as $1 on my Patreon.

89