Chapter 10: An End of a War
2.2k 5 51
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      Mavin found himself staring at the window with a rifle in his hand. Cartridges could be found on the table. He wore a tunic and brown trousers with his eye on the scope.

The door opened. The Colonel swaggered in with his eyes trained on Mavin. He sat across the square table and rested his back on the rest of the couch. He looked annoyed at something again and he was keeping his pistol around.

“I assure you that you have no one to shoot.”

“Not trying to shoot anyone, Old Tom.”

The Colonel leaned back and eyes still trained on him. “Axel, Marcus, and Josef are now being called heroes. I told the bastards that they should ‘work’ under the Prince, but do you know what they did?”

“I bet they declined.”

“Exactly, they didn’t want the honor of protecting the Prince. They said that they rather remain a free agent, a goddamn constable.”

“What about Josef?”

“Bastard likes the name Storm Vanguard for their ‘Constable Team’. Fucking Constables, them? Don’t make me laugh.”

“Oh no, don’t look at me like that, I am going to remain a free agent.  I exchanged my merits with that, and if you want to do anything against my current rank then please contact my lawman,” Mavin made it clear.

The Colonel frowned.  Mavin chambered the bullet out of his rifle and placed it back on the table, resting it on top.

“The Upper Ranks want to thank you for what you did for the Prince. Everyone in the Empire now thinks that we are so righteous. We receive praise from anyone, trying to bootlick us now.”

“Can’t believe that we would be able to turn the opinions around.”

“Our guys did well in taking care of royalists around the city. We cause chaos, our men had found people to put their blame on and put a bullet hole on them. Most of the factions moved to secure their right to kill the sons of bitches trying to start a war.”

Old Tom usually doesn't curse. Mavin found it odd that he would come here to start cursing about the anti-peace forces. So when Old Tom saw Mavin’s look. He turned his attention outside of the window.

“Any more problems?”

“Nothing much other than a cleanup. I just find it unbelievable that Old Sable would do this.”

“You know him?”

“Know him? Boy, I grew up with the bastard, my buddy in the Academy. He had always been a patriot and he spent most of his time visiting the Empire before the war. If most of his family’s land wasn’t on Federation Lands. He would have moved in the Empire. Look at him now. A dead man who was found orchestrating the murder of the Crown Prince of the fucking Empire he loved so much. I don’t understand it. I don’t know what the fuck was that idiot was thinking doing this. He wasn’t a fucking war monger, I know that man.”

“I killed him.”

“I know. I don’t care if you did. He was no longer my friend the moment I heard he pulled this kind of stunt. Bah, I am glad that you shut the conspirator down before he could tell everyone that you were the one who pulled the trigger behind Alfred.”

He waved his hand dismissively. Old Tom had always been one to quick sides when it comes to people that he disagrees with. He was decisive about that. Mavin liked that part of him.

“I know. We can always deny it, not that anyone saw me. They think that I was the one who did it. But no one knows that I was the Ghost and even if I do say it. No one would believe it, but they’d do anything to drag me out in the open to ‘pay’ for my crimes against a person that I killed in the field of battle.”

Mavin couldn’t even remember Alfred Silheid’s face. On the day that he spotted the so-called Field Marshal of the Three Alliance. He only looked at him as if another head of the hydra he was trying to slay. He shot the man like every other man he had shot in the war.

There was no grand tale to tell about it. He just looked like another officer commanding in the front lines, and he was ordered to take a shot at every officer he could find.

“So what you come here for, Tom?”

“What? Can’t even escape here? Do you know how many of these bastards are telling me to do this and that? I was only a goddam mediator between the hundred nobles. Now that I did well, everyone suddenly thinks that I should be the one taking a charge. Son, I have enough trying to make sure the command keeps their head straight here. Thankfully, Josef knows how to handle Axel and Marcus. He knows how to keep the lads in line.”

“So you just came here to complain about your work?”

“Shut it. I got you a penthouse. You could at least show some pity on this old man for dealing with all of these people.”

“Tom, I think one of these days you should go back home, take a rest, and have a date with Madam. She’ll appreciate you coming back home.”

“That’s my plan, son. This treaty will happen and I’ll be damn if it gets delayed yet again.”

“Do you still want me in the rooftops?”

“Not quite. I want you on the ground with the rest of the troops.”

“Hopefully in my field uniform, not in a suit.”

“We’ll have you equipped and armed to the teeth. Not unprepared like you were in the halls.”

“Is the building clear?”

“It is. We made sure that none of the bastards can get close to it. We have it inspected every five hour, and we are taking turns. We are keeping an eye on every employee and officers that are handling the checkup. We’ll make this happen, lad. I know that we will.”

 


 

Mavin wore his field uniform this time. A rifle slung to the side and fully-armed for battle. He had to wear a field cape to hide most of his gear that weighed about 45 kilograms. Not only had he wrapped himself with a bandolier containing twenty, five-clip rounds of ammunition. Attached to the bag on his back were four thirty-two round drum-magazines strapped to his webbing. He also carried a bulletproof vest on top of his uniform. He looked heavy, but this weight was nothing to him, considering the boons he had received.

He had preparations before going to war. The Tomas Family also had secrets that allowed him to keep up his peak body condition. Geared up he commuted to the Compound of the Crown Prince where it was even more heavily guarded.

On the checkpoint he was about to be searched when he showed the pass given to him by the Colonel. Sauntering inside the compound he navigated through the throng of nobles and clerks as usual before finally being able to get close to the door.

He knocked thrice before the door opened. Inside of the room was Lord Gunther, and the Grand Duke’s dear daughters who were sitting across each other with their arms folded.

“Your highness, my lord, and my ladies,” he bowed.

“Looks like you are doing well, Lord Tomas,” the Crown Prince threw aside the paper on his hand. “How’s your wound?”

“It doesn’t really hurt, your highness. It’s just a scratch.”

“That is good. Can you continue to keep guard this coming event?”

“I can, your highness. I’ve been through worse than this.”

“I’m sure you did,” he clasped his fingers together. “Tell me, what can I do for you?”

He looked at the ladies and then to Lord Gunther. The Crown Prince seemed to take note of what he was wary of and said. “Don’t worry, everyone in this room knows who the Ghost is by now, besides, it’s not like they’d believe us easily.”

“So what are your other desires?”

“Nothing much, your highness. But all I want is to get this treaty done.”

“Are you really sure about this?”

“My family currently holds an entire region that we control. Even if it is the Emperor who asked for this, he will have no right to take the lands we cultivated and claimed for ourselves. It would be fine if you could support the Tomas Family in this.”

“The land you hold…is even greater than a foreign nation.”

“And our loyalty has never been questioned. Not even once.”

“It was also never tested as well. I do recall the fence sitting of the Tomas Family all these years. Your family don’t side with anyone and that’s a problem.”

“If you cannot promise this, then it means that I have nothing that I want from your highness.”

“I see. I’ll allow the Greater Lazon Regions to continue their status. Nonetheless, I’ll have to thank you 1st Lieutenant.”

“Your highness, that is.”

“I know,” he stood up. “You are now 1st Lieutenant of the Imperial of the Imperial Army.  Sir Mavin Tomas, you are worthy of the name they call you. I wish that I could somehow bring you into working under me, I would need good men under me.”

“That would be impossible, your highness. What I have done is nothing more than what the Empire expects of the Tomas Family.”

“Then I shall expect the Tomas Family’s help in this coming event. Tell me the truth, Sir Mavin Tomas. What can we expect from the weapons of the Holmian Ambassador?”

“We should get anti-tank rounds positioned over vantage points, your highness.”

“It seems you have knowledge of what they have.”

“My family has a sister-city in their homeland. We cooperate with them through the bonds of trade.”

He was fully aware of it. It was hard not to remember about the prime setting of the ‘memories’. Considering that the ‘memories’ told of strange things that would start to happen.

“Is there any reason that you cannot tell me?”

A non-disclosure agreement, your highness. The Tomas Family’s vow is harder than steel. I cannot tell you any of the weapons that they have.”

“Then I will not ask.”

He nodded and turned to Lord Gunther. “You are a first lieutenant, and among the youngest in our hierarchy. I believe that you are acting as a Free Agent?”

“A Constable, your highness.”

“Those three that were with us, Lord Tomas. What do you think of them?”

“Do you mean the Storm Vanguard?”

“Yes, they recently refused my invitations, but are willing to protect me. I see that their loyalties belong to the Imperial Army.”

“They are loyal to the Colonel, your highness.”

“The Colonel, if he didn’t refuse his promotions, he would have been a General worthy of serving the Imperial Army. I see a pattern on them refusing to serve under me.”

“Forgive me, your highness. But the Imperial Army protects, as always. For we are a sword and shield loyal to the Emperor, not to the Princes. We may follow the orders of the Grand Dukes in battle, but only because they have been given the permission to hold the sword and shield of the Emperor.”

The ceiling fan sounded out. The Crown Prince moved the paper weights on the side and took his pen out. “It looks like I still have a long way to go, Lord Tomas. Once again, I would like to commend you for your work in helping us achieve these results. However, I will need your help in the upcoming event that will decide the fate of the war and formally end it.”

The Peace Treaty had been delayed for two-years now. The bickering and the arguments didn’t stop within those years, and only in the last month that they could finally come to an agreement.

 


 

This time he was asked to accompany a medical professional who arrived in the train station in gloomcrossing. He took the professional doctor to the field hospital that was converted by the people of the republic. Though he was riding on a diplomat’s car. The stare of the republic soldiers didn’t leave him as he escorted the doctor to the field hospital.

There was a sign he saw on the right of the door. It was the sign of a red cross covered in thorns. Inside of the lobby he was immediately greeted by two wards on both wings of the hospital.

A woman with emerald eyes and red hair walked to the professional medic before letting another escort him to his patients. Most of the ones in the ward were civilians caught in the crossfire. Young and old shared the same bed and were being attended to by the white uniformed nurses and nightingales of this field hospital.

“You were that person that was with Taly.”

The woman with the emerald eyes looked familiar. Then he recalled that this should be the same woman who picked up Natalya in the hotel. Mavin greeted the woman with a raised right hand.

“I am called Mavin Tomas. May I have the honor of knowing your name?”

“Don’t worry, I am merely a minor noble with a few lands, Sir,” she shook Mavin’s right hand with her gloved hand. “I am Rosa Dolina, so you were the one who did that to my best friend.”

“Do you perhaps know?”

“Yes. For now, how about we visit the break room? I don’t want the ears here to hear what we are talking.”

She led him to the break room located on the second floor of the building. There was no one other than him and her. She sat across the table with eyes trained on Mavin.

“My girl usually doesn't talk to people. She had become anti-social so you can imagine my surprise to hear that she had another date that wasn’t the person that I had tried to escort her.”

“Yes, she’s quite the woman, Madam. Ah, wait, forgive me, Madam, but are you Lady Angelus?”

“That’s right, that is what they keep calling me.”

“I see. Do you and Natalya come from the same shooting club?”

“We do. There were hundreds of us who went out to war. Most of them become nurses, and the rest died before they could even show off their marksmanship. We were the only ones who got truly lucky. My girl was always a proud woman, and I had thought that I was going to lose her in the war when I heard she got shot by someone.”

Mavin joined his fingers together.  Rosa Dolina went on. “To my surprise she seems to have been humbled, calmer, and so on. You could say that the scar on her right head gave her a reminder how dangerous it was. She was always the perfect girl, an outstanding woman, and it may sound strange, but I am happy that she had that scar to humble her.”

Rosa spoke with a soft stone that made Mavin listen. A tone that was strangely sincere to what her real thoughts were. That was something that Mavin realized lately, that those who had fought in war seem to lower the guards in their hearts when sitting conversing with people who experienced the same hell as them.

There was a shared universal bond that they could understand. For Mavin he found it awkward and unnerving. He had received a lot of boons and gifts before he could participate in these wars. He knew what was coming, prepared for it, and during the war there was a time where he had foolishly thought he was invincible as well.

“I had the same thought. I thought that I was unmatched in battle. That for sure nothing in that field could stop me,” he started. “But there was a boy I met in Torven, Hapia, whose home was hit by one of the shellings.  I was one of the first who saw the scene so I had contacted every fire man and anyone who could help to save anyone or anything in the blast. Most of the Imperial Army was holding Torven that day, and an expedition force composed of your Republic and the Kingdom came in to blast the city we had taken.”

Rosa’s face darkened.  Mavin continued. “We managed to stop the shelling with our own bombs, had it dropped from a monoplane to stop them. That day I killed four artillery officers, and ten troopers managing the artillery batteries in that region. The rest were finished off by attacking their position with our storm troopers. We didn’t leave anyone alive after they shelled that city. I am not going to blame anyone on what we do and we shouldn’t do. All of the nations caused much unneeded sacrifice from the people, but even I looked at it as merely just another day in the field. We managed to secure the city of Torven by four days. We dug up the survivors from the rubble, most of them were trapped in their wine cellars. One of the homes there was meant for a rather big family. We spent two days digging through this compound for any survivor when we found this boy just sitting inside a basement with his family members dead except for the father of his cousin. That little boy just stared at us, you know? He got up, climbed out of the basement, and let the medic patch him up. There was no one to guard the boy so I had to keep him around while I kept watch.

“The boy then tugged my sleeves and asked me. ‘Sir, why are they fighting?’ I replied that there was a war going on and that the three alliances are trying to bring down the Empire. I told the boy why we were fighting here and why we are staying.

“He didn’t say much. He kept quiet for seconds and asked me again what the purpose of the fighting was. I couldn’t understand what he wanted to hear so I asked, ‘Why would you know?’ and he told me, ‘I want to understand why my family was killed, Sir. I already know that brothers and cousins died, I just want to know why. My grandfather’s house was suddenly torn. My grandmother was torn to pieces. My aunt is missing. I want to understand why they dropped bombs on our home, Sir. Is it because we aren’t fighting? I saw how the houses were destroyed like papers. My cousins were all young and one of them was praying to the statuette when the bombs started dropping. I don’t know why, Sir. My cousin wanted to save coins to be prepared for giving birth to my little cousin. Sir, can you tell me why?’ and I couldn’t squeeze out a word out of my throat.”

“I don’t think any of us would be able to say anything,” Rosa said with pain in her voice.

“Yeah, the boy kept asking everyone that same question. He just kept on asking until he just got tired and stared at his home. Once in a while, I think of that boy and thought how easy it was for someone’s life to be ruined. The father of his cousin survived, but he wanted nothing more from the Imperial Army other than wanting to bury the corpses of his family properly.  That father started sleeping next to his son’s graves. Greeting them good morning when he wakes up, and giving them rations in his bowl. We sent him to the Lazon borders once we had dug out the corpses, and I don’t even know what happened to him.   It was that encounter that I thought to myself I cannot find it in my heart to feel like some invincible bastard. I found it hard to turn my heart into steel truly. I couldn’t be hard, only strong.”

“That is an admirable train of thought, Sir Tomas.”

“No it isn’t,” Mavin said as if he was disgusted by himself. “No one should get used to feeling strong when it comes to killing. I don’t kill anyone for the sake of anything other than if it’s necessary for my survival and for protection. I think I admire you medics more than anyone. While we are killing each other, you folks are doing the right thing and keeping us patched up and alive so we can go back home.”

Miss Dolina heard a knock. She looked at her pocket watch and shook her head. It was expected, knowing how busy they were. This field hospital was filled with new and old patients after all.

“Unfortunately, we need to do our duties.”

“I understand, Miss Dolina.”

The two stood up and shook hands again. Rosa looked at Mavin with a rather understanding look on her face.

“I kinda understand why she didn’t outright shoot you in the head. She was quite angry you know? About the scar since she really does love her face. Not that she is obsessed with it, well, let’s just say that the one thing her mother was proud of her.”

Mavin didn’t say anything and just nodded. He followed Miss Rosa out of the break room and the two separated after saying goodbye to one another. Mavin thought how one-sided that conversation was, but he didn’t have much to say to the Lady.

Using the car he went back to the hotel where he found soldiers gathering on the sidewalk. The street was almost full with how many convoys were readying themselves to transfer to the center of the city to camp there alongside every force in the city.

Colonel Tom boarded an armored truck driven by Axel. Josef rode with him and Marcus was accompanying the Colonel inside the armored truck. “Lieutenant, mount the machine gun and watch out for anyone.”

Mavin climbed up the armored truck and slid down on the hole. Checking the side of the machine gun, he pulled the bolt and pressed both of his hands on the trigger. The convoy started to roll out and on the side of there was a march of soldiers accompanying the convoy. The whole convoy was like a pack of sardines inside a tin can so they didn’t waste time on showing off and immediately went to the four-lane main road that led directly to the center of the upper town of the Flost city. Most of the damage that was done by fighting was cleared. Even if there are strugglers among the populace, the march of every force in the city would discourage them.

Right now there were professional duck-shooters turned soldiers among the marching lines who could shoot any thrown projectiles with their shotguns. They were doing it when they were in the trench so it wouldn’t be a surprise if they could do it again.

The march was obviously led by the Crown Prince who was in his armored truck.  On Samlet’s Road, Char Road, and Cotton Gate, the factions were heading to the same destination.

There was less tension in the air, ironically, because of the common enemy that they found inside the City of Flost. The reenactment of the hell that they experienced that day seems to have reminded the soldiers of the pain and misery they have experienced in the war. They recalled those who have fallen and those who have fought bravely until the end.

When he arrived into this city there was this feeling of something that was going to explode within the city. That same anger had been released and now there was only this sobered emotion that they just wanted this to be over with. Most of them wanted to go back home and return to their lives.

Mavin knew that his body could take it. He had remained the same even after the war, and though he carries mental wounds. Mavin knew that he wasn’t going to easily break after he was tempered in fire, mud, and gunpowder. Most of the people who survived would be stronger and at the same time weaker than anyone. Seven years easily passed since the start of the nightmare. He was young when he joined the war, like everyone who dreamt of honor and valor in the field, they would return home as grown men.

 


 

When the men stood in line with everyone. The flag bearers stood proudly as the diplomats of the nation’s involved in this war approached one another in the center. It was then that everyone noticed the eight feet tall metal giant made of aluminum and steel.

The arms of this giant were machine guns and it carried thousands of rounds inside of it that are directly fed to its arm. The head of the giant looked like a great helmet and it had a bulky and heavy body that seemed to shake the ground. Despite the size of this walking steel-giant. It moved swiftly with its elephant-like legs that kept the machine standing. The armor chassis has distinctive patterns of ladder and roses. The machine was a Vulcan, one of the latest inventions of the Holmian Nation, and one of the technological marvels. Holmia was one of the most advanced countries in the world and a pioneer of such technologies. Most of the prosthetic limbs used by the Empire come from Holmia. There were the only ones who could possibly create such machines that are clearly made by technology that the three nations, and the Empire has no knowledge of.

One of the reasons that Holmians are friendly to nations was because of anyone in the world. They would be the ones who require the single thing that keeps their nation afloat. That was diesel and without diesel, then their nation could collapse under its own weight. Though they do produce their own, the amount is always not enough, and thus nations around Holmia are always eager to exchange technologies, buy patents, and sometimes try to steal from them.

Mavin had recollection of these giant machines because of the ‘memories’ and though they look ominous and frightening. They were still two-legged giants that would fall over if shot by an anti-tank round, fired by single shot, bolt-action rifles that are basically a bit larger versions of the rifles the men of the Empire are carrying.

Though these machines are perfect against infantry as ‘Juggernauts’ who could trample anyone and protect themselves from infantry fire. Nevertheless, most of these Vulcan Armors do not last long and can only function for about six hours in combat before they need to be refueled.

Not to mention that the developments of the tanks and rocket propelled grenades would turn these monsters into a walking coffin. Of course, though they are useful when it comes to construction and battle against infantry. Mavin was sure that only a few would keep these expensive and money-draining machines to be deployed in live-combat unless there was a need for these impressive machines to act as loaders and tractors in emergency situations.

To him it was not so intimidating, but to the others it was a steel monster. It was the same reaction that they had when faced with tanks who roamed the field of battle in the earliest stages of the war. It was only because of their defeat that they were able to grow unafraid of the tanks.

As the atmosphere stifled. The Holmian Ambassador led the four representatives of each nation to the seat of power of Flost with an intention to lead discussion to confirm what they had agreed. As the four forces waited under the heat of the sun. Men carried the round table where the agreement would be signed.

As the wind blew the silence that came over as the last truck was turned off was evident. The soldiers who were in the lines stared at one another, not knowing what they should do while waiting for the four representatives.

Sliding back inside the truck where the Colonel kept up with most of the commands. Each patrol is armed with backpack-sized field telephones carried by an officer who reports the situation around the area.

Everyone inside the truck was anxious as they kept on listening to the reports made by the officers in charge with communication. Axel, who was usually cool unpacked a cigarette off his pack and threw it on Marcus. Josef, who walked inside the truck fished one out as the three sapheads started to smoke inside the trucks. Mavin didn’t react, he was subdued, listening to the reports of the officers.

“No sign of any threats, Sir.”

“Do it again. I want everything clear. Make sure that we don’t let any of the bastards try anything. Detain anyone who is even mildly suspicious and those who cooperate.”

If you heard of them, they sounded like overly worried fools who thinks that there was something more going on in the background.  The three sapheads and the Colonel were the bravest and most steel-hearted men that Mavin had the honor of meeting in the fields of battle.

But what are they right now? Anxious men who were eager to get things done so that they could finally bring an end to this war that had lasted for seven-years. Everyone feared what would happen if this treaty was not signed. Some thought that the war was only ‘temporarily’ stopped in order to secure their losses, and ready another batch.

However, the world was not in favor of the three allied nations who were eager to bring down an ancient regime. Though the Empire seems like a despotic state because of its ‘old’ and ‘ancient’ system. It was able to function because of the combined brilliance and wisdom of the Empire and its Citizens. Not to mention that with the Empire being a melting pot of customs and cultures, change was easily accepted. Perhaps there are those who refuse to accept the changes, calling themselves as traditional and conservative. Even if they don't want to change. the world keeps on moving forward, and if they don’t adapt to the whims of the world, then they would only be left behind and become obsolete.

“Sirs, the four are out.”

When Mavin heard that voice. He climbed out of the truck and manned the machine gun again. The four representatives followed the Holmian Ambassador who wrote a contract bordered with gold linings to the round table. The Crown Prince and the other representatives surrounded the round table with solemn expression. Each and every single one of them holding their pens.

With a nod from the Holmian Ambassador. The four representatives wrote their names and bit their left thumbs, using their own blood as a thumbprint.  Raising their right hand they started to speak the vows of peace.

“We swear, under skies and above the land.”

Everyone raised their right hands and gave heartfelt vow.

“We swear, under the skies, and above the land.”

“That the lands shall be rested.”

“The waters stilled.”

“And the hearts of the fallen be rested.”

Cheers did not erupt. No one said anything after the vow of peace was said. The silence speaks for itself as they begin to mourn the fallen. The recent chaos that happened had made everyone anxious and afraid of what’s to come.

Can they go home after this? There was no reason to celebrate with the deaths and yet even the hardest of men didn’t understand. Within the silence tears poured out of their eyes. Though they kept their stern faces, they couldn’t hide the streak of tears flowing down their face. Some tried to stifle their cries while some laughed wearily as if a great burden was lifted off their shoulders.

The event continued as the representatives shook with their bloodied hands.  Each and every single one of them is making speeches that the soldiers were ignoring. The Crown Prince looked at everyone and said only one thing.

“You can go home once this is over, my soldiers. You’ve fought long and hard. I am proud of all of you. The Empire is proud of all of you.”

That was the only thing they needed to hear. The soldiers who volunteered to keep on fighting to secure this peace seemed like they were close to breaking down. The emotional ones couldn’t hide the smile behind their tears.

Slowly, but surely, the cheers that did not erupt finally happened. The three sapheads inside the truck cheered while Old Tom breathed in and out before returning to his duty.

“You fools! It’s not over yet until we get the Crown Prince safe. Right now, watch the streets, the buildings, and let everyone know to keep themselves clear. If anything bad happens, then they ain’t going home!”

“Aye, Colonel.”

The three sapheads finished their smoke and went back to listening in. As the cheers of the crowd grew louder. Mavin felt his shoulders go heavy as the weight finally came in. That weight he was expecting to happen had come and he might see a world that was different from those ‘memories’. Mavin tried to squeeze out any ‘memories’ and he thought of the many people. Who was missing? Mavin widened his eyes and vaulted out of the truck and ran to a person that was among the press. Breathing thinly, he disarmed the man first, and held him in the wrist.

“Don’t do it. I promise you that it isn’t worth the fucking price. Look around you, there are hundreds of soldiers who are going to kill you here. Do not do it, turn your back away, and let them drag you out of here. I am saving your life here.”

Mavin carefully dragged the man back to the truck where the sapheads were and kept still with their eyes giving him a deadly stare. Mavin returned to the top of the truck with fearing eyes.

He watched everything with his breath held. His vision of everything slowed and the minutes become hours as he watched everything that moves. By the time the four representatives parted and returned to their armored carriages. The soldiers who were left alone were called to cease and return to formation. However, one of the soldiers took out a pack of cigarettes and approached one of the republic forces soldiers and asked for a pack to exchange. They exchanged cigarettes and strangely, the rest of the soldiers followed, exchanging packs and walking back to their marching lines.

Mavin sat on top of the truck, exhausted, but looking at the marching troops who were still emotional about the signing of the treaty.  The cadence they sang sounded out as they then sang songs. The

Mother waits in the horizon,

When we come home,

She bring us pies,

And a lovely cry, as we go home,

The soldiers sang together and their voices seemed to infect the pedestrians who could not bring to throw stones at the soldiers who were going home. They do not have courage. They do not have the heart to stop the soldiers who had gone through hell from going home.

“Looks like all things are clear, the Crown Prince will take a monoplane back to the Empire. He’ll be accompanied by the Honored Ladies.”

“That’s great. What about the pilot?”

“Captain Loch will be the one flying so they will be in good hands.”

“The Sky Knight himself huh, that’s good.”

Old Tom pulled a cigar out of his pockets and started smoking as the truck moved alongside the troops. He leaned on the hatch and stared at the troops who have finally shown another expression other than stone.

“What now?”

“I don’t know. I’ll…go back to Lazon for now. It has been long since I saw Cousin Derrick and Count Elma. I need to see my niece, Elea. I just want to go home for now. It’s been seven years, Tom.”

“I’ll have to stay in this place for a while. I need to make sure that all our things are pulled out. The train will be coming for us and I’ll ride it home.”

“It’s over, right?”

“Who knows? We don’t know what will happen next, lad. For now, how about we take it that the Great War had finally formally ended? You and the lads have been through a lot, I say that you all deserve to go back home.”

Mavin nodded.

He…could barely remember what home was.


Thank you for reading so far!
I'll update every week, and this is only the beginning, so wish me luck!
So, please look forward for more!

51