Chapter 16: The First Step
1.6k 6 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      Mavin woke up later in the afternoon feeling like he had just taken a hit on the side of his head.  On the kitchen, Mimi was back again, she prepared a dish or two. Mavin sat on the stool, took a feast on the meal she placed on the kitchen counter.

“I saw the bottles,” Mimi pointed. A sweat on the tip of her nose. Her eyes on the dishes she made.

“Thank you for this.”

“Its okay, Mav,” she leaned on the counter. “I like doing work for you. So, you stayed up drinking with the lady?”

“Yeah. We couldn’t sleep.”

“One of those?”

“Yes, one of those days.”

“I heard that it’s bad for others who were in the front lines.”

“The constant shelling, the lack of sleep, it does drive someone crazy. Let’s not talk about that.”

The sunlight coming from the windows bound on the kitchen. The winds from the coast entered through the gaps. There were sounds coming from the farthest roads that they could hear.

“That reminds me. Is she up?”

“I don’t think so,” Mimi rubbed the top of the counter with a piece of white cloth. She rubbed the cloth between two hands and placed it down.  She pulled the stool and sat down. She adjusted her dress by the collars.

“So any changes between you and Rigel?”

Her calm expression went away for a moment. Mavin might have taken a step on a landmine. However, to his surprise, Mimi only shook her head.

“No. But we are betrothed.”

“Congrats, when’s the wedding?”

“Soon, when he has time.”

“Do you want me to tell Cousin to give him time?”

Mimi shook her head. “I don’t want to trouble you with that. Besides, I think he wants to get this done by himself.”

“Then I won’t do anything,” Mavin thought that it was best that his people knew how to take care of their problems. Who was he to interfere when he had left the burdens that comes with ruling to them?

“So what do you plan to do?”

“Stay in the Imperial City, do some things, and when I am done here then go back home.”

“Why not go back home before doing this?”

“They can wait.”

“Don’t think so, the Lady heiress wants to see you.”

“That can wait,” Mavin said. “I don’t have time for now.”

“This must be important for you to delay going back home,” she tapped a finger on the counter.

“You can say that.”

Her eyes stayed on Mavin. “I won’t ask, Mavin. Just hope that nothing happens to you.”

“I hope so too.”

Mimi’s finger froze for a second, then it touched again.  She didn’t ask any more after hearing what Mavin said. She of all people knew how strange his actions were sometimes. Many of the Lazonians knew that he was one of the many people that kept his secrets to himself.

Mimi didn’t say anything after listening to him. She was a busy person who had come here to take a rest and cook for him a little and he appreciated that. Mimi left the old house before long. It was then that Natalya walked down the staircase and stared at the food on kitchen counter. With half-open eyes she walked to the side of the counter, ate her food silently, and kneaded her forehead.

Once she was done eating, she handed the plates to Mavin who proceeded to wash the plates in the sink. After washing the dishes, he stayed on the counter, watching the afternoon light touch the window panels. Natalya’s eyes finally opened and then she swiveled her head to the staircase before walking back upstairs. Ten minutes later, she was wearing a coat and a pants that gave her a rather boyish appearance.

“Let’s go to the coast.”

“Hmm?”

Her expression did not allow refusal. Mavin contemplated for a second before refusing. Natalya folded her arms and stared at Mavin without looking away. There was demanding expression on her face. Mavin stared back and the longer the two stared against one another. Time passed by.

“I can do this all day.”

“You will, huh,” Mavin nodded.

He got out of the kitchen, washed his face, and changed his clothes. He wore his pea coat and carried a piece on his waist. Mavin went to the garage, and was about to pull the motorbike out of the garage when Natalya poke her head out of the garage door and shook her head.

“I am not riding in a motorbike.”

“Fine.”

Natalya threw the keys to Mavin. He took the keys, moved his legs to where the car was and started it. She rode next to the steering wheel and leaned her head on the backrest.

“Bad headache?”

“It got worse.”

Mavin didn’t ask anymore. He drove the car to the main road, followed the cobbled five-lane road until they reached the promenade of the Imperial City filled with shops and stalls. The promenade faced a giant pier and there were many walkers traveling from left to right. Mavin found himself a parking spot and took the keys and pocketed them. Natalya went out and walked to the front of the beach without even looking at Mavin.

Mavin followed Natalya from behind. He found a place near the seawall where Natalya sat without saying anything. Mavin sat next to her and stared at the sea she was looking at. There was no trace of expression on her face and as they continued to stared at the ocean. She behaved as if she was wrestling with something. Mavin didn’t speak. He didn’t made any movements as he leaned on his thighs, and placed his chin on his knuckle.

There was a cold salty breeze coming from the south. Ironclad ships, some with sails, traversed the blue waters with smoke coming out of their chimney. Mavin wondered what he was even doing here. Then again, he was only following the whims of his companion.

 


 

“I wanted to be a pilot.”

“Huh?”

Mavin snapped his head to look at her. She gave an irritated gaze. Mavin raised his shoulders as he let her continue on.

“I wanted to be a pilot. There are many that are trying to become an airman. I thought that I had a chance, but it looks like they are keeping it within their circle for now.”

Mavin didn’t expect that of all things that she wanted after the war. She would become a pilot. Did she wanted to see the sky that badly?

“You should have expected that to happen.”

“I did. But it pisses me off.”

“Is that why you were drinking?”

“Part of it. Not that I’d drink alcohol if I am troubled.”

Mavin didn’t open his mouth and just listened in to her troubles. From what she had tried to accomplish. To the direct rejection that she had faced from the people who she wanted to learn from. Though her friend had the status to allow her to become a pilot. The political bias towards the people who had plotted to invade the Empire was harsh. It was fair for them, but it did irritate her.

He was surprised by her sides. Her face shone by the moonlight, the shade from the lamppost on her hair. She was sincerely ethereal that made him look away in a hurry. She continued to speak until the wind become colder. Then she became silent again, staring at the ocean.

“Should we go home?”

“Yeah, I am done.”

He led her back to the car without stopping. He drove the car back to the old ancestral house and found Old Fred in the living room enjoying his tea. He greeted the two of them and offered to cook for them. The two couldn’t refuse Old Fred so they waited in the dining room where Old Fred served a chicken dish with a sauce dipping. The two ate heartily while Old Fred stayed in the kitchen taking care of the utensils.

When they were done eating, Natalya wiped her mouth, pushed her chair back, and stood up. She stared at Mavin for a while with a rather complicated expression. “Goodnight, Mavin Tomas.”

She walked back to her room. Old Fred appeared in the dining room with his eyes trained on Mavin. He don’t know what to make of that stare so he had to ask. “The Lady had told me of your relationship with her.”

“How far?”

“The part where she barely survived fighting you. How she had got scar. Sir, I think that the Lady does appreciate the fact that you had saved her life in Flost. There is no grudge, and I believe that she only wants to befriend the person who had given her a lesson.”

“I didn’t mean it.”

“Yes, but I think the Sir needs to try and befriend her.”

“I am trying.”

“Yes, you are. But I can sense that Sir is quite wary of the Miss. I had known her since she was a sweet child, Sir. She is not unreasonable, Sir.”

“I will try to think on your words, Old Fred.”

“That is what this old man only ask of you.”

Mavin had a problem establishing bonds after that day. Where he had learned of what the world was and where he was. It felt like a grand joke that the world had played on him. He had accepted what the world after seeing some changes. However, it seem that there are still lingering parts of him that didn’t believe.

With that thought. He didn’t hesitate to climb up to the second floor where he found himself standing in front of her door. He knocked twice and when she opened the door. There was a rather bland look on her face. There was also a rather curious expression on her. What did he wanted?

“Look, I know that I’ve been acting rather stiff when it comes to you.”

“Most of the time.”

“Yes, most of the time. I do not hate you as well, Natalya. I don’t know what you are using me for. Nonetheless, I would like to apologize to whatever my behavior was.”

She looked at him for a second, she lifted her lips. “The last time that I saw that expression on you was when you were on that train. When you were talking to that man with a prosthetic limb.  Indeed, there might be many reasons that you would find yourself uncomfortable by my presence, but I would like to assure you that I do not mean you harm. This will be the last time that I would say this to you, Mavin Tomas. Thank you for saving me in Flost, and though this scar of mine had been quite an annoyance. It is nothing compared to the life that you save during that day. So if that bothered you, then please don’t be,” she raised her hand and vowed.

She stood close enough for him to smell. “What made you do this? Ah, Old Fred wasn’t it?”

“Yes, seeing my foolish self. Old Fred had decided to give me a push.”

“It’s not like you’re confessing to me.”

He rubbed the back of his head. She giggled lightly.

“I’ve been a terrible host to you.”

“You’ve been. Honestly, I was going to slam that door on you for bothering me, but I think that this is the first time that your brows didn’t meet when talking to me.”

Mavin regarded her with astonishment and threw his head back to laugh. She just curiously glanced over him. There was something that changed within her expression, and though he had no idea what it was. Even he was confident enough that he had somehow made the right choice. He might know what she might become, but for now, he had decided to look at the person that was standing in front of her instead of the tyrant or the monster she might become.

It was a single step.

46