Chapter 4: Duties To Uphold
2.5k 7 57
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      Though it may sound like a good jest. The Empire of Athesia had a history of Grand Dukes sending their daughters to the Prince to be married. Some of these histories consist of a web of conspiracy and schemes that tried to ruin the competitors. Being the Empress was the second highest seat of power in the Empire. Who wouldn’t want that seat of power? Not to mention that the Future Emperor of the Empire itself was the most eligible bachelor in the Empire.

Mavin had thought that it couldn’t be absurd as it was. Nevertheless, the strangest comes from the reality, whether it was for power or for love. It didn’t matter for those below them. Would it benefit the Empire and them in the long run? That was the two important questions that the nobles have. Old Tom knew very well how these forged bonds could result in factions growing larger.

Though as much as the two wanted to stay in the penthouse to catch up. There were many duties that they needed to attend. Assigned as temporary escort of Old Tom. Mavin accompanied Old Tom back to the ground floor where the delegates of the nobles had come looking for him, demanding for Old Tom to speak to the concerned party.

“Who is this man?”

“Someone you don’t have to worry about.”

Old Tom answered one of the delegates with an icy voice. Mavin’s face remained apathetic and passive as he followed Old Tom with his rifle at hand. Being a head taller than the old veteran had made him quite a sore thumb while he was following Old Tom around the North Gate and Upper Town streets.

Outside of the hotel, a few meters away, Old Tom found himself thumbing his forehead at the sight of the young nobles of the Empire huddled around the corner. They smelled of booze and cigarettes. One of them was missing his trousers. The MP’s in charge of the young nobles were having quite a headache as they threw around their titles and ranks.

“What are you looking at, Old man!?” barked one of the soldiers who then guffawed.

Old Tom gestured with a hand. Mavin slung his rifle to the side and mashed his knuckles on the young noble’s face. The young noble went to sleep, and before the others could react. He had punched the lights out of these booze-induced soldiers with a speed that their human eyes could not follow.

“Get them out of here and make sure that they know what a disgrace they have been acting.”

One of the MP’s froze for a second before they started dragging the nobles out of the street. The rest of the bystanders eyed Mavin. In return, Mavin lowered the cap he was wearing.

“Are they always these bad?”

“Two-years waiting had made these fools despondent and uncaring. It doesn’t help that they are fed with vices. If it was not for the military rankings that are based on merit. I would have a problem declaring my authority upon these fools.”

“You’re not going to make me punch any drunkard we met today, right?”

“Only some.”

Mavin inwardly cursed as they continued the strolling. Old Tom inspected the occupied buildings, checked on the outposts, and inspected the checkpoints that separated the factions. On one of the checkpoints located two streets away from the hotel. It had a different atmosphere with two machine gunners facing each other with this cold glare. It doesn’t help that the watchtower located across was manned by a rifleman armed with a scope. Most of the squad attached to this checkpoint was armed with sub-machineguns with 32-round drum magazines standing guard. Most of them carried five spare drum-magazines on their webbings.

“Republic Forces don’t look happy.”

“Of course they aren’t. Same on the other side with the Noradians. They kept glaring at us with looks that could kill.”

“Have there been any accidents, Tom?”

“None that matters so far. They think that they could provoke every bastard in the city. Most are common brawls and disagreements over whose bar or establishment one faction should visit. Segregation of the forces have been enforced to avoid conflict. Not that it stops some of our soldiers from dressing in civilian clothes and taking over these buildings.”

Mavin sensed that there was something more Old Tom nodded at his stare. “We’re letting some of our lads take over when they have the time. Most of the time they don’t resist after we ‘ask’ them to provide watered down drinks. May sound petty but as long as it pisses them off. You gotta find something to do while you spend two-years waiting for the negotiations to be over.”

“I guess you aren’t always alone then.”

“I usually am, son. Having one of the Imperial Colonels strutting around keeps them occupied and behaved. If anything happens to me then they answer to the soldiers.”

“You need to be more careful, Tom.”

“Son, you think that they’d try to take my head, but most of these lads just want to go home. If they try to kill me here then they have to fight another five years or more to go home if they are going to be lucky again.”

Mavin looked at the gunner staring them down. “Looks like some of them don’t think that way.”

“Of course. Not everyone shares the sentiment, but they know how to control themselves.”

Old Tom’s voice was like a whisper. He stared at the soldiers on the checkpoint before lowering his head. “Sometimes, I wonder how many lads I had sent down the trench to die while I cower in a dugout, waiting for the shelling to stop.  This is the best thing I can do to repay them, son. I just hope that we can conclude this treaty peacefully.”

“Where are we going next?”

Mavin noticed Old Tom’s look. He took out a letter from his pocket and handed it to Mavin. Opening the letter, he found the name of the Crown Prince written on it alongside his Imperial Seal.

“Are you serious?”

Old Tom nodded. He wordlessly walked to the direction written on the letter.

 


 

The Crown Prince’s location was written clearly in the letter. Arriving in the location of the Compound that was claimed by the Crown Prince. Mavin followed Old Tom in the gates where they had their documents checked.  Cleared, they followed the straight path to the double-doors where he saw the amount of young aspirants, clerks, and even assistants carrying all sorts of documents. Passing through the crowd in the ground floor, he tailed Old Tom till the third floor where they were once again stopped by two imperial royal guards who demanded for their documents.

“Colonel Tom Bedlam, and Second Lieutenant Mavin Tomas,” the guard announced.

The door opened and it showed the spacious office of the Crown Prince filled with his retinue arguing about something. With their eyes pointed at the two of them, they quieted as the Crown Prince demanded them to get out of his office. The retinue got out of the office expect for the man who wore sash across his shoulder, a sword on his belt, and an officer’s pistols holstered on his shoulders.

“Your highness,” Old Tom gave a crisped salute. Mavin Tomas followed. The eyes of the Crown Prince stayed on Old Tom for a moment. Then, it landed on Mavin who stood right behind Old Tom.

“I have heard many stories of the Tomas Family,” the Crown Prince started. “Born of the Strongarm Clans who had been said to have appeared in the longships in the bays of Hosponova. You are very same clans who conquered the regions of what we call Lazon. You were one of the many first families that joined the founding of the Empire. My Lord Father, and my Ancestors have tasked the Tomas Family of being the Wardens of the West.   Marcher Lords who would protect the region from any of the 150th nobles back then. Many of our nobles have parted with the Empire, with only 108th of these Houses remaining as steadfast and loyal subjects of the Empire.

The Crown Prince pushed his palms against the table. “In the war seven-years ago, the Strongarm Clans, led by your family have once again guarded the Empire from its enemies. Among the regions, your people suffered less.  Among the many regions that were invaded, the Lazon Regions were the only region in the Empire to have repulsed the enemy out of their lands. You have good people. Strong and brave enough to push back the tide.”

“It is an honor that you think highly of my home, your highness.”

He scrutinized Mavin with his amber eyes. It threatened to strip Mavin off his secrets. “But it is said that without the recent developments nine years ago, Lazon wouldn’t be as defended. As if there was someone with the insight to predict that a war was coming. The ones they call the ‘demifiend’ region are said to be home of those gigantic animals that are not commonly found outside of those valleys. Four years before the war, there was a massive movements that allowed the forces in Lazon to conquer the regions of the demifiend.”

The Prince’s voice went on. His oratory skills and his confidence in his speech made Mavin understand why he was a Prince. The deepness in his voice, and the ‘boom’ of his words made everything flow out of his mouth skillfully that he couldn’t help but listen in silence.

“These movements have led,” he pointed his index finger on the map, specifically south of Lazon, “to the clearing of these regions. The giant animals were domesticated and driven to the corner. Your people hunted down every single of the predators and by the end of the first year. The mouth of Pustalo, the second entrance to this region, has been turned into a bustling port ferrying tons of steel and concrete. Three years later, there is a bustling port, and an industrial complex in the new city of Omevia. Which had become one of the most secured and naturally walled-off industrial zones of our Empire. North of Omevia is Jorvi City, the breadbasket of Luzon that comprises an area of 371 square miles of farmable fertile land.”

Mavin remained apathetic. He stared at the Prince without a stir on his face. Not a single flinch even with the scrutiny of his trusted aide by his side.

“Your people have done well without asking for a single coin from the coffers of my people. I’ve wished that more of my subjects have the same drive. Even my Imperial Father is pleasantly surprised that those lands are finally cultivated. House Tomas has given the Empire two hundred thousand rifles during the two years and almost five hundred thousand artillery shells and millions of bullets in your Munitions Factory. Your House had never asked for anything, nor did your family care about asking the Empire if they want a piece of those lands. I heard that recently your people have started manufacturing birds in Viota?”

“I am not aware,” Mavin blandly replied.

“Are you?”

He walked out of his desk and stood left of Mavin. The Crown Prince was a tall handsome man. Amber eyes that are mistaken for gold and wheat-like hair that shone when basked under the light.

“Yes, your highness.”

But Mavin remained steady. He duly stared forward.

“I was aware that you were the heir of the Tomas Family. Why did you hand it to Count Derrick and his wife?”

“My lord,” Mavin replied slowly. “Count Derrick and Countess Elma have visions that far surpasses mine. Under their leadership, they have defended Lazon, and commanded the armies of my home. I think that in the matters of governance, war, and management of the Lazon Regions. This subject humbly believes they are far more competent in handling such matters.”

The Prince cupped his hands behind his back. “But it was you who laid the foundations of Omevia and Jorvi, wasn’t not?”

“I merely have the name Tomas. I beg your forgiveness, your highness, but I believe that it would best if you take this matter to the hands of the current head of the Tomas Family.”

“Oh? Why?”

“Because even if you asked me, your highness. The answer remains a ‘No’.”

The Prince glared. His eyes piercing. His shoulders squared and face leaned forward. Mavin remained impassive. Keeping his eyes still and firm against the mixture of emotions in the eyes of the Prince of the Athesian Empire.

“The Tomas Family,” he said so blandly. “Have been neutral in regards to the affairs of the Empire. Some of our subjects have even asked my Lord father if the family is still part of the Empire. Do you know what they call your lands? The Autonomous Region of Lazon.”

“Forgive me your highness, but as I said. I am merely someone who came from the Tomas Family.  If you want to discuss the affairs, please converse with Count Derrick.”

Mavin decided not to speak. Seeing this, the Prince of the Athesian Empire nodded, he walked back to his chair and sat down. “I told you Gunther, that the Sons and Daughters of Lazon are too guarded. They barely ask for anything. They take care of themselves. Wonderful subjects that produces great warriors such as the Second Lieutenant.”

Lord Gunther nodded. Crown Prince Arno looked outside of the city before returning his attention back to Mavin. “The steely confidence of the Tomas family remains the same. I assume that you will be watching our backs, Second Lieutenant?”

Mavin nodded.

“Good, I shall breathe easier knowing that one of our marksmen is here to watch the scenery. Are you perhaps accompanying the Colonel?”

“Yes, but only today,” Old Tom gestured to Mavin.  “You can go now.

Mavin walked out of the office without making a sound.

 


 

 After he got out of the office, he found himself coming to wonder if he should interfere with the coming events. “No, I should focus on the treaty first,” Mavin put the thought on the back of his mind. He went back to the lobby where most of the officers and people of the Crown Prince gathered. The mechanical sound of a typewriter, a pencil scribbling on a sheet of paper, and the sounds of footsteps seem to pollute the lobby. As he passed through the shoulder-to-shoulder crowd. He was able to find a bench near the wilted hedges.

Though he was officially here to observe the signing of the treaty. He was also acting as a ‘free agent’ of the Empire. If the memories of events that will transpire in the future was true, then he would like to prevent it from happening in the first place.  He couldn’t move in his current outfit so he went out of the compound and went back to the hotel to change. After removing his clothing, he took out his brown pea coat, gray cargo pants, and the flat cap he carried on his luggage and wore them. Hiding a pistol in the shoulder-strapped satchel on his back. He took the emergency exit without letting any soldier spot him. He had no prior knowledge of the alleys of Flost City, but he had roamed alleyways and streets to be streetwise enough to understand how to avoid prying eyes.

Once he was close to the North Gate. He waited in the line and was able to get out of the North Gate without being spared a glance. As soon as he stepped into the Four Arches, he took a tram headed to the Grove where he vaguely recollected through the memories he knew of the man responsible for the dissolution of the treaty. Mavin was not confident enough to find the rest of the saboteurs who would try to prevent the signing of the treaty. He had no connections in the city, he did not know the streets, but he knew where the home of this man was because of his memories.

Those ‘memories’ he had were vague recollections. As he grew older it became a blur, but he had written and remembered the important points and by referencing what knew of Flost and the lay of the city. He had concluded that the man was residing in the Grove District. Ten minutes after riding the tram, he started to go in the direction of where the house should be. It was an ill-maintained district that didn’t have the asphalt road and the usual cars that could be found outside of the district. Most of the civilians were malnourished and covered in grease. There were working women even in the day and the stalls were filled with highly priced fruits and dried fishes that were starting to smell. There were no power lines, telephone cables, and authorities in the district compared outside.

The shell craters, the bullet holes that were on the walls, and the slab of rock with the names of every person that died in this district were decorated with candles. This slab of rock was the only thing in the district that was well-maintained and kept into a pristine condition. Though there are ill-natured folks who are lazing around on staircases and sidewalks. No one had enough energy to even care about where he was going. Searching four streets, he finally found the house he was looking for.

Mavin sat on the side of the road to discern the area first. Examining the streets and any possible exits that the saboteur may try to use. He tried to find any possible royalists that are trying to protect him. He didn’t know if the man himself was inside and he wasn’t going to take chances with a man who had only two things to lose in his life.

After confirming that there were no vantage points and possible royalists watching his back, Mavin waited until six in the evening. When night came he rounded the building, locked the backdoor of the building and entered through the begrimed window. After entering the window, he climbed down, disarmed the shabby alarm system that the man placed in the front door and searched the room. Clearing the rooms, marking each room with a tiny pencil.  On the bedroom located above the staircase he found recently dated medical bills that belong to a hospital called ‘St. Theresa’ that could be found northeast of the Four Arches. There were also documents detailing the amount of loans he owed, and the interests he had to pay the debt creditors. There was a lone wedding ring with a name on it placed on the desk that sat next to a photo containing one adult male and female and a little child in the middle. There was a pair of tiny footwear that would not fit a man just below the desk. It hadn’t been worn for months.

Next to the bedroom was a room with dust gathering on the bed and a blond marionette doll placed on next to the pillow. Clearing two bedrooms, he marked an ‘x’ on the doorway and moved to the kitchen where he found disassembled rifles with their firing mechanism ripped out of their chambers.

There were also dissected field mines and emptied out dynamite casings spread on the table. Marking the kitchen as clear, he went to the last the room that could be found in house which is the basement located just below the staircase. Pressing an ear on the floor, he could hear something being tinkered under the basement. He didn’t know the layout of the basement and he could only do it as quietly as possible. He checked the hatch first, tracing the corners before carefully lifting it up, after opening the hatch, he dropped down and landed on his toes to be quiet as possible. In the basement he found a man facing his makeshift workshop and a lingering odor contaminated the air.

Timing his steps on every time he made a sound using what he was tinkering. He pickpocketed the pistol on his holster, and checked his table and area for any weapon that he can use other than the tool he was holding. He expected him to react by now. He also noticed the thick smell of grinded coffee beans that lingered alongside the odor coming from the explosives he was working on.

“Good evening,” he kissed the barrel of his pistol on the back of his head. “Please drop your tool and raise your hands. Would you kindly take a seat?”

“Tsk,” the man clicked his tongue, and raised his hands high. He walked to the stool and sat down with his hands still raised in the air. Mavin studied the man with eyebags and a pale complexion whose eyes lacked any light.

“Are you Timon Denzel?”

“Who knows?” he said with a smirk. “I don’t know what you are talking about.”

He held no fear even with the barrel of a gun pointed to him. But Mavin could sense a degree of desperation in him. That regretting face that he barely could hide from him.

“It seems that the dogs of the Alliance have good noses. You actually found me here.”

He looked at Mavin as if he was despicable. Mavin answered with the blandest and calmest voice that he could muster.

“I am a Second Lieutenant of the Imperial Armed Forces of the Athesian Empire. Timon Denzel, you hold sympathy for the Empire, are you not?”

Timon was about to snort when Mavin lifted a doll in front of him. Timon’s confident façade crumbled immediately. His form twisted as he tried to hide the worried look he had.

“I asked you the question.”

“Yes, Sir.”

“Do you know what will happen if you complete what you are making?”

“I-it should take out the assembly, Sir.”

“Do you know what will happen if it does?”

He became quiet. The doll in front of him was the tool that could open his mouth. Mavin dangled the doll while keeping the barrel of his pistol pointed at him.

“It will show the determination of the loyal subjects of the Emperor.”

“You don’t believe that.”

He quieted.

“It’ll start another war and if it happens this city will be shelled to death again. I assure you that St. Theresa’s Hospital will be included on those that will be hit first, Timon Denzel.”

His jaws shook. His eyes dilated and he held his wrists. This man had nothing to lose other than the little child in the photograph Mavin found in his bedroom.

“Let me ask you again, Timon Denzel. Are you willing to lose your life for this fraudulent cause? Or are you willing to go back with me to Upper Town, write every bastard’s name, hideouts, and whatever they are planning on a sheet of paper, then take your child away from this city’s hospital, get a train ticket to Lazon, and deliver a letter to the person-in-charge of Carina Hospital located in Sahus?”

“W-why are you giving me an offer like that?”

“I do not want a question from you, Timon Denzel. I want an answer. Are you willing to take this chance that I am giving you or pursue this path and leave your child alone in a cold hospital bed without no one holding her hand?”

Timon Denzel stared at the wedding ring on his left hand’s ring finger.  Mavin threw the pair of the wedding finger on the man’s palm. He stared at the ring for a long time and sobbed. The tears streaked on his cheeks and he found himself kneeling in front of Mavin with his eyes hand holding on to his pea coat. He looked at Mavin as if he found a way out of a dark tunnel.

“P-please, let me take your offer, Sir.”

“Good. First, I want everything in this workshop properly disposed before dawn. You will take your luggage with you and we’ll head to Upper Town and tell us everything. After that, I’ll escort you to the train station and we’ll work something out if there are soldiers going Lazon’s way. Do you understand me?”

Timon Denzel nodded without a hesitation.

There was a profound light that was burning in his once despondent eyes.



These are the chapters for the week.
Any comments are appreciated.
It gives motivation!

Thank you for reading!

57