Chapter 143: The Confused Rescued
286 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      Gaul started driving again once the Boss was asleep. Or at least that’s what Gaul thinks . A needle dropped a mile away could wake him up if he wants.

Wendy sat to the side of the vehicle. Her eyes on the blurring vistas of the Finian land.

“How long have you been working for him?”

“Not that long.”

Wendy asked which Gaul replied curtly.

“I don’t understand. You two refuse to elaborate. Refuse to tell me why you are doing all of this. All I hear from the four of you is refusal to talk. Denial of my curiosity. I know that I am not supposed to know your identities. Nothing hides identities more than silence. Still, this silence makes me curious. Are you really not going to answer?”

Gaul tapped his fingers on the steering wheel. “We mean you no harm.”

“I know that. I know. You’ve been repeating that same line. Look, at least you try to entertain me with rumors and gossip, but now that we are close to the airport. I would like to know why I do this? I don’t...understand. You do not identify yourself. You try everything to avoid the eyes of my company, my allies, and my friends. If you wanted to do anything to me, I know that you all could get away with it. But even so, it makes me even more confused. You want no money. You killed our enemies as if they were nothing but flies bothering you. And you don't want me to owe you people as well. Your intentions...I cannot understand why.”

“It’s to keep you safe.”

“To be rewarded? What do you want from me? I can’t understand it at all. At least those guys in the broadcast station were clear on what they wanted.”

Her words were filled with confusion and fear. Was it because they were so close to the drop point that she was able to speak out? Then again, this could be her way to get something out of them.

“I almost forgot that you are the President of a company raking in millions of florins every month. I really have to remember that.”

Gaul said plainly. Wendy took that as if she was trying to pry information away from him. Information that could somewhat reveal what they are trying to do.

“You offend me. Just because I manage a company makes me feel you think that I feel unafraid?”

“Perhaps, but I can see that you are tempered, composed, and oddly used to this. Ma’am, I know someone that has put a lot of work into their fitness and skills. I know a trained combatant when I see one. And I must say that you have done a lot. Which makes me wonder why you were so easily caught despite it.”

“Colonel Elric was superior to a human. I feel that in you, but less. While your Boss...he reminds me of someone that I respect. His aura is suffocating.”

“Aura? Ah. Is that why you don't want to ask your questions? I think the Boss will lend you his ears.”

Wendy bit her lower lip gently, clearly hesitant to do so. Gaul saw her reaction, and said, “Well, I can’t blame you. Talking to the Boss feels like trying to converse with a stone wall. Not even the kind of wall that has amusing graffiti.”

“You are an oddity as well. If you were a hired mercenary, you would have been asking, making connection.  Your Professional, I can tell, but I can also tell from a glance that you are not lying when you said that you haven’t spent ‘a lot’ with your Boss.”

“Well, it isn’t that hard to tell why. You’re confused, and people are afraid when they are confused. I have nothing to say other than despite what is happening, our intentions really are just to return you safely. Odd, yes, but that’s what the Boss wanted.”

“Why does he want that?”

“I don’t know,” Gaul as if amused by it. “I do understand the hesitation when you know what he can do. Three of your foes done in because he wanted them gone, simply because there was a need to.”

“And that’s why I want to know why. Why bother?”

“I want to know too.”

Wendy studied Gaul for a moment, wondering if he was telling the truth. “You...don’t know either?”

“I have my ideas, but he wants you back home safely. I haven’t asked, and there is a good chance that I won’t. Yes, all that he wanted was to get you back home. Strange it is, but if he had a reason to do so, then it’s something that he keeps to himself. I’ll try not to talk about it. I have my own idea on what he’s after, but I’ll follow his orders for now.”

Wendy felt like all he said was nothing other than assuring that she would be returned home.

“All I want is to know the reason why you would do this. Forgive me for being a pessimist, but no one does anything without any gain from it. I’ve been in business circles, and so far this is the first time that I am lost on what to think of this.”

Gaul took one glance at her before focusing his eyes on the road ahead.

“Forgive me, but a straight answer is something I cannot provide. You are a clever woman, plausibly perceptive as well. Our technology, our methods, and our secrets, a few looks into this camper can give you what you want. Hell, just me talking to you is enough to reveal some hints. Besides, if anything, all that we asked from you is secrecy. Then again, I’m sure that we missed a mark considering that someone made the Boss wary enough to do that to your hand. He made little preparations when fighting the Colonel and the Magi. But this one, he’s ready, and doing something other than explain a small plan and do everything himself. If there is a confrontation, then can you intervene?”

“I won’t deny that I was saved by you two. My grandpa told me that he was saved by someone once. From a shell-hole, and because of that someone, he somewhat found his way back home.  To help and repay the favor, that was always the golden teachings of my grandfather and I honor them when I can. If this one chasing after me is who I think it is. Then I can explain what has happened.”

“Must be powerful, to make the Boss careful.”

“The Guardian Angel of my family, and the Company.”

Gaul nodded. “So if this Guardian thinks that you’re kidnapped, then what do you think this Guardian will do?”

“Not good for anyone around the road. But the Guardian of my family is not so callous. If anything, what I worry about is the two fighting. I imagined that it would be something terrible. I don’t need the two of them to fight when I’m saved. You guys haven’t done anything wrong, and I understand the secrecy considering what you guys have.”

She looked at the camper. “Your technology that is beyond what we even have, and we are supposed to be the best there is when it comes to these kinds of technology. Your communication has little to no delay, and the way your camper doesn’t stop for anything other than checking the tires is amazing.”

“Please, it’s not that great.”

“I know what this camper is made of. I can identify the steel. None of the equipment you have here is made of the usual brands I know and none of the serials that identify which they belonged to. I made sure to know them. And this camper alone, and especially that ‘drone’ you have has so much potential. This vehicle could make you an instant millionaire,” she observed Gaul. “The way you sit here, the way your posture slackens could mean that you are familiar with this, but also not careless enough to damage it. You reach out for the cups, and any of the controls naturally, as if you were trained or familiar to do so. Perhaps it's because you are an enhanced human that you can do so with such preciseness, but there is that. Your tone of voice also, no, you are quite adept at the lingua franca, and by the way you speak reminds of a certain university that I had an honor to get a tour. But what makes it odd is that your posture, and sometimes your gait reminds me of a Lazonian Soldier.”

“Your point?”

“You’re not bothered with money either. Pardon my arrogance, but I own a lot of money, and a favor for saving me is enough to fund you a retirement plan. I’ve also seen how people pretend they are rich, but do not have the habits of one. Professionals are better, but even they always hint about wanting to get a piece of the pie. And what I gathered, you’re not exactly close to your Boss, and you speak to him like a subordinate would. You're familiar with the pilot, and the Miss that I treated in that place. But you do not have that tender/friendly tone. When it comes to him.”

“Again, what is your point?”

“You’re not after money, not for reputation, and not for benefits other than some goal. If you’re going this far, then it’s not a connection with the Angelus Company that you want or wealth, but nothing more than secrecy and an unknown gain you will get from all of these.”

“Perhaps,” Gaul affirmed.

Wendy leaned on the window of the camper. “You won’t say anything, and I won’t say anything as well. We can agree on that, but I’m willing to talk to the Guardian if it means we can avoid any misunderstand or conflict.”

“All that I ask,” Gaul said plainly. He caught Wendy making another glance, she opened her mouth slightly, but decided to swallow her next words and returned back to staring at the scenery passing by.

10