Chapter 148: Lost In A Sea of Changes 2
264 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      Mavin took a step out of the train. He saw the unchanged, but modified train station. It felt like it was just days ago when he last saw the station of Flost. Concrete and steel it was, but more refined and better looking than the rigid, old look. The black steel supports said ceiling and columns supported by the concrete foundation.

In the center of the train station of Flost was the familiar mechanical clock that told the time. Below the clock was the number 1921 inscribed, and farther below was a digital LED display of the time and date. On the left and right side of the halls of the train station was the schedule for the trains that will be coming in and out of the train station.

Flost has changed as well. The rigid and steely look of the train station had been modernized. There are traces of what he remembered, but they were not the same. Gaul took a step on Mavin’s right, next to him was Wendy, wearing glasses and a wide-brim hat that covered some of her features. Wearing sleek black suits coupled with red ties and polished shoes. Gaul didn’t bother to hide his equipment, and the straps of his shoulder holsters. Mavin carried nothing more than the hilt of his black iron sword and a holster tucked inside his suit.

“It’s been long. Too long,” Mavin said mildly. Mavin took the first step, the coming crowd naturally avoided them, and though they were curious enough about who the person was. Mavin took a silent step, and then paced behind the two. The eyes of the people became focused on Gaul and Wendy while he hid behind them, without shadow, without presence.

The congested train station made Mavin think about how large the population had become. The combination of noise, smell, and designs overwhelmed Mavin for a second before the sturdier part of him took in and hid the confused one. The three made their way through the shoulder-to-shoulder crowd while avoiding any traffic. Mavin took out their permits, showed their papers, and got out of the train station where he saw the view that somewhat remained unchanged. The old buildings were maintained, the roads that were stone however became concrete. He saw four towering towers scraping the sky. Most of the roads next to the train station were filled with blue-colored transportation. One of the drivers spotted the three, but Mavin politely refused the driver as black four-wheeled sedan appeared before them. An older man with a trimmed mustache appeared before him.

“Sir,” the man seemed to take in the sight of Mavin. “It has been…too long.”

Mavin studied the man as if he was confused who this was.

“Timon?”

The man visibly smiled. “It’s a pleasure that you still remember this one, Sir.”

“You are still alive…quite sturdy as well.”

“That I am, Sir. That I am. I was told by the Miss that you would need transportation while you are here.”

Mavin looked at the two and gestured for them to enter while he stood with Timon. “How’s your daughter, Timon?”

“She’s living well, Sir. Though there were challenges because of the war, my employment in Lazon and my roles have kept my daughter well-fed and survived from her disease. She has many grandchildren and I adore their presence.”

“That’s…good.”

“Sir, it is because you stopped me that day that I wouldn’t be here. I would have died… done something I wouldn’t be proud of.”

Mavin nodded, “Not that it mattered when the civil war happened, didn't it?”

“Perhaps, good Sir. But there are just things that we are not afraid to do for the sake of one’s goal. How about we continue this when we arrive at the hotel, Sir?”

“We should,” Mavin looked at the crowd. He sat next to the driver seat, letting Timon drive them through the changed city of Flost. There are traces of what remained, but most of it was changed by the flow of time. He noticed the advertisements for products, films, and even the LED traffic signs and advertising signs that seem to be everywhere.

Mavin went silent. He leaned on the side of the sedan while traveling his gaze on the new world. The morning shade of the city made him wonder if it would be different in the night. Timon’s driving was moderate, and he arrived in one of the tall buildings, and parked the sedan. He got out of the car, ordered the valet to park the car. Timon entered the hotel, and accommodated the three to the highest floor of the building. It didn’t take long for them to arrive at the top floor of the suite. Mavin walked out to the balcony and took in the city of Flost. Sighted behind the city was a mountain peak piercing the sky.

 

“It has changed hasn’t it?”

“It sure has,” Mavin replied, placing his hands on the railing. “How much do you know, Timon?”

“Sir, I was part of the project that produced the bomb that wiped out the demifiends. I was included after you had saved me from that awful day.”

Mavin stared blankly at the city of Flost. His eyes clouded and drowned by it. “Timon Denzel, do you regret it? Creating a bomb that would, eventually, one day would be used to hurt people?”

“A weapon is a weapon, Sir. Not once have I stopped asking myself if I do regret it. If I ever thought of myself as some villain. Perhaps, in the future, they may judge me as a monster for being part of it, but my name will echo through history books. One of the men who had designed the bomb that would bring about a destruction that could shake the world. Yes, many lives, perhaps it will bring an end to the world…but I do not regret it. I have time to accept that.”

Mavin studied Timon. Nowhere he could see the desperate father who was scheming against a treaty. Perhaps, he might have become worse, but nonetheless, that same man had grown old, unafraid of what may happen.

“Did she contact you?”

“Yes, Aunger’s little girl asked me for a favor, and knowing who it was… I wanted to, Sir. I am old, Sir. It wouldn’t be long until I passed on. I am quite envious of your state, nonetheless, I do not wish for it as well. I've had enough of this world and although I don’t wish to die. I wish to at least see the person who saved me and my daughter for one last time despite my age.”

Mavin didn’t speak. He stared at the scenery once more, muted, lost, and unable to reply. “Have you heard of what I went through?”

“I’ve been one of the contacts of Sir Aunger back here. I had my loyalties, Sir.”

“I see. I expected Rigel to welcome us, but you are a surprise, Timon Denzel. But your presence reminds me that despite what I tried to prevent, it still happened.”

“It’s not something you should be concerned about, Sir. The Crown Prince, his reasons are true, and no one could blame him when he wanted to save his sister. He wanted the hounds to be used to save Princess Cecilia. We don’t know what happened to the Princess, but even without the Princess as a reason. The nobility, the power of the 108th nobles could not be maintained in our changing world. You feel it, Sir. And tell me if I am wrong, Sir. But you wanted to destroy the demifiends because if they knew that you have such a weapon, they would do anything to get it. Why did you create the Hounds, and funded the Vulcan project? Sir, I think you know it will happen. That it was something that could not be prevented no matter what.”

“Perhaps, I understand that it will happen, but nonetheless… I wanted to believe that no war would happen after the treaty. Still, I guess seeing that you have made it well, and live such a long life pleases me, Timon.”

“Sir,” Timon smiled at the scenery before him. “I still remember how happy you were…how pleased you were at the sight of us being free… I didn’t understand and yet at the same time. I could never forget it, Sir. Goodness, it has been so long, that I just couldn’t believe it, Sir. Nonetheless, I always remember it, Sir.  What you told me a long time ago. That I should think twice of what I am willing to throw away. It might have been nothing to you, but it was the words that were on my mind during the war years ago. My name will be part of the history, one day, they might call me a murderer. Nonetheless, I thought of it twice at least.”

Mavin nodded. “Then I have to ask you one favor, Timon. A place where I think it might be appropriate to meet someone who might be a problem for me..”

10