Chapter 179: Still On Path
261 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      Natalya waited for husband. There was nothing much to say after they got the permission from the Archmagi and the others. She was sure that her husband would visit her after getting permission. Nonetheless he had hurried steps and had contacted her to give him an hour. After an hour, she heard a knock, and Mavin, who looked like he was carrying something, approached with loud and heavy footsteps.

“Natalya.”

She entered his circle of arms. She found it odd that her husband would act intimate. He was not the type to show affection. Her time with him had been short, no, even during those times he was not so affectionate that she felt scared for a moment.

“Ah, was I too affectionate?” he smiled wearily. His voice was a little quiet. The two remained standing while Natalya watched his back.

“It’s awesome how powerful reputation and money could be, isn’t it?”

“It is. It makes people do less fighting. They understand what we can do and therefore are cooperative. There is no need to fight when we can just point our guns and talk madly about them.”

“True.”

Mavin accepted that as if it was the smarter choice. He looked at Natalya as if drinking her in. She didn’t understand why, but she wasn’t so shy. She locked eyes with her husband. Her lips pressed to him before she knew it.

A smile curved his lips. He raised the lock of her hair and stared at her. “Natalya, I saw you back then in the train and when I first saw you...I was rather intimidated by you. And during that time in Flost, I still remember how you looked. How we danced so godly that I almost wished to confess my attraction.”

“You actually liked me?”

“I did. At least before I know that you are the same woman that I tried to kill.” 

He touched her hair and then her cheeks. She returned the favor by placing her hands on his shoulders as if they were going for a tango.

“Oh my, you should have said so. I don’t mind being in a relationship with you back then. I was far too stubborn and in my defense. I never wanted to date anyone who wasn’t stronger than me. You bested me and I swore that I would make you my man deeply.”

“Your looks made me think that you wanted to kill me,” Mavin said.

“That’s because in a way I wanted to make you mine. Customs of my house require me to do so. I wouldn’t want a man who can be easily intimidated. Nonetheless, gosh, speaking so long of times like that. It felt like a dream. Days passed and passed. Who knew that one day,” she crossed her hands around his neck. “That I would marry the man who would harm and bruise my ego.”

“You are a strange girl. A strange woman.”

He pressed his face on her shoulder. It took Mavin a while to lift his face again. She truly didn’t understand why her husband was acting like this. He wasn’t scared of this ritual, was he?”

“Are you truly alright? It may not have been long, and although I regret not having a grand wedding for us. We are still husband and wife. Come, tell me, what it is that makes you… like this.”

He raised his head. He took something out of pocket and then plucked the ring from it. It was a decorated ring carved from a familiar material. He inserted it into her right hand instead of her left.

“It’s a wedding ring. I carved it out of some black iron so it would be useful to you. I have done nothing good to you and even I wouldn’t be so shameless not to give you one.”

There was a ring that he wore on his left ring finger. It had the same appearance as the ring she wore. She looked at the ring and then lifted her own hand. “This is quite the gift. I… never expected this from you. Not especially today.”

“I saw madness in your eyes. I hated that look and thought to myself that I must extinguish it before it could take root again. Natalya, I need to talk to you about something.”

“I hope it's nothing serious.”

“It is.”

“What is it?”

“Have you seen the cracks in the sky?”

“Cracks?”

Mavin judged her. Then he shook his head.

“I see that you did not. That’s good. Let me explain to you. This world is like an isolated bubble floating in the vast darkness. In this darkness we are separated from the multitudes of worlds out there. We are a world floating in the void. Of course, normally, we would be part of a bubble that has semi-merged.”

Natalya listened. She stayed her hands on his shoulder. Mavin popped a wine and drank a sip and handed Natalya. She felt like something was off but seeing that Mavin didn’t hesitate. She didn’t hesitate to.

“I saw worlds before. Worlds that made me shiver. But do you know that there is something evil out there? It was said in a lore that I have read that it seems to be a twisted being. No, it is more of a corrector of mistakes, and that any irregularities are fixed by this being. It is a merciless being and even in my dreams it doesn’t hesitate. It screams. It comes. And there is nothing that one could do once it starts to move. But if that man was here who had given birth to the black iron, perhaps we would have a chance. But that chance is long gone. The volcano itself is a lesser problem compared to the ones coming.”

“What are you saying?”

Natalya felt her legs weakened. She held onto him. She hasn’t felt so weak. “What have you done to me?”

“A concoction that will give you a bit of time to sleep. Long enough, it wouldn’t affect our child, and I made sure of that.”

“But why?”

“You’ll stop me. I… didn’t give you a goodbye during the time in the Exiled One. You know me. For a long time, I’ve always been seeking to end something or accomplish something. I lied. In conjunction, it doesn’t reduce the vitality, but it merely takes what is in the air and passes it on a single vessel. Kismet’s Tale, the artifact, even if it's incomplete, it would still be useful. What Kismet’s mistake was that he had overdone it and induced himself with too much sparks. With the sphere of Merez, I can make and contain the sparks and form it into my own core. A core that would sustain and give me enough power to at least talk to the being coming. You should have seen this coming. This body is strong enough and my abilities can suppress the sparks. The boons I carry will help contain it. I’ve always advocated and had done my best to remove the danger. The demikins, the Exiled One, and even the Sparks. You should have seen this coming.”

“Wait, no, please, don’t leave me.”

“I am sorry. I wish to live a hundred more with you… but you’ve been with me throughout those nightmares you speak off. You’ve lived long enough that you had decided to love such a person like me. I’ve never felt so blessed and among the things that I cherish. You and the little one inside you is a good enough reason to go down this path.”

“Y-you don’t have to do this. W-we can survive the storm. I know a way...so please don’t leave me again,” Natalya found herself unable to stand. She fought the sleepiness with her sparks, but Mavin gently palmed her. The sparks dissipated like water poured on ashes.

“It’s alright,” he kissed her forehead. “Perhaps I am too arrogant to think I can do this. But nonetheless, if it means that I can let you live longer...then it won’t matter if I burn this soul. You’ll be fine. You’ve done so much for Lazon...and think of this as a compensation for what you have done. It is cruel of me to do this. I know. I won’t ask for your forgiveness. But I hope you understand that there is a need for someone to stand before that corrector and stall him long enough. It’ll be fine. I spent fifty-seven years being pieces of meat. I honestly don’t know how long, but I will make it so that it would be long enough for you and the child to live a good lifetime.”

“Please…”

“Hush, it’s okay. There is nothing to be afraid about, Natalya,” he kissed the back of her hand. “There shouldn’t be a problem, and besides, you’ll be fine. You are Natalya Tomas after all. If there is a next life, and if I am blessed despite the blessings that I already have. I hope that we meet again, my wife.”

She was carried and although as much as she tried to stay awake. The concoction that Mavin gave her slowly made her eyes closed.

“Goodbye.”

That was the last word she had heard of him.

 

9