Chapter 30 Patching the Holes
1.6k 2 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After hiring William as the CEO, they had spent days after days talking about the company problems and proposed many changes, both simple and complicated.

David's goal for this Hollywood company was to have a platform and a gateway to Hollywood.

Since the very first day, he had already expected many challenges coming along his way.

Like his current company, Frost Pictures, they are literally bleeding money each month, and David does not like it at all.

So as his first fully owned company, every part of the responsibility will fall on him. This time, he can't rely on anyone anymore, unless, of course, his CEO is capable of doing his job.

From his observation of William in the past few days and seeing his actions, it seems like he truly knows what he was doing.

Now that David gave him the necessary and long-awaited freedom to make changes, William quickly decided to restructure the company.

The details were urgently discussed by the two of them day after day till midnight, losing many hours of sleep.

After going over numerous proposals and plans, they finally went on to throw out old divisions that won't be of much use in the future, keeping the remaining few crucial divisions for the company's future development.

Naturally, this would mean layoffs.

Before acquiring the company, they had already laid off many employees due to losing so much money, but it seems that it is not enough to break even.

David could understand why this was what William had proposed. Their current company only distributes videotapes to many branches because they can't make any movies yet. No one wanted to put time and money into starting a project.

And so, there's not much cash flowing into the company. Obviously, no one wanted to pull out money from their own pockets, and even David won't do this without a good reason.

So the next best thing would be to lay off another group of employees for now and hire once more when they need extra assistance again.

David agreed to this proposal, and so William was appointed to be in charge of making these changes.

He sometimes greets others and speaks a few words to several employees, but recently he tries to stop himself from showing up in the company.

William knows more than David about the company employees, so William was the one picking who will be the ones to stay and who will be the ones to leave.

David has only been the owner of the company recently, so he doesn't know much about the employees.

So in the previous days, he was put in an awkward spot where he doesn't know which employees to communicate with.

After all, a chunk of them will have to be let go. He didn't want to become familiar with someone who will be fired the next day, so he can only wait for the company clean-up to be over before he can come out properly.

Now, William was responsible for communicating with the employees, and David just watched him making a motivating speech in front of the remaining employees to cheer them up.

He is the company CEO, after all.

After the great clean-up, there was no need for David to hide. Hence, he enthusiastically showed up to attend the first company meeting along with William and the remaining employees.

Since these employees will likely be the first group of hires in the restructured company, William didn't waste any more words and reassured them about the company's future and briefly spoke about their plans for the rest of the year.

For the company's sake and to promote a healthy working environment, there was no need to speak sweet, polite words, and they went on to tell the full truth of the company situation.

The employees, both the new and older ones, greatly appreciated this gesture, and for the first time, hope rekindled in their eyes. Looks like this company will not fall here.

These long-time employees join the company for its stability, and the prospect of a stable and secure job attracted them, but the past circumstances made them extremely concerned for their future.

It was as if dark clouds were hovering over their lives and careers, and the past situation makes them very worried about their future.

However, now with the familiar CEO's assurance that they had forged a great relationship through the previous years of challenging experiences, they feel more relieved.

The new boss was also young and respectable, that they felt assured knowing the company is now in better hands than before.

Yes, the increase in employee salary is totally unrelated to what they were feeling.

Along with the promise of more benefits and promotions as the company grows larger, they only became more motivated, looking forward to their bright future.

And after seeing the company plans for the year, they became even more ecstatic.

That's right. It's important to remember that Frost Pictures is a Hollywood company. They are not some videotape distributing company.

What does a Hollywood company do? Make movies!

It's not a surprise that they are excited. This was the core business of Hollywood companies.

The fact that they haven't made a single movie in the past two years was already depressing. This usually signals the approaching doom of a company.

But now, it seems like they would go back to making movies just like in the past.

They now have the budget and currently plan on starting their first movie project in the second half of the year.

There's no point in wasting time. Soon, everyone went back to their own station, waiting for the project to start.

For now, let's finish most of the work so they can have the opportunity to be part of the upcoming movie project.

Let's start making movies as soon as possible!

...

William is indeed very talented, and his work had proven this time and time again.

In just a few weeks, he had done the preparatory work for the rejuvenation of the filming department. Many employees from other shutdown departments had been relocated here, and the department was slowly becoming complete.

The company had already long started earning profit once again. This was not because they did something special.

In terms of company revenue alone, they were earning quite a good amount from buying copyrights of small movies and distributing the tapes in a few states.

But the expenses of many unprofitable departments and numerous employees eat up all those revenues, leaving them losing more money than they were earning.

However, now that they had scrapped many unsustainable expenses, the company was back to its stable condition once again.

All the profits were reinvested heavily in the filming department, just like David had planned.

This was why he bought the company, after all. To make movies. The distribution channels are just an extra useful benefit from the company.

David did not give William a deadline for the completion of the filming department as he had not even decided what movie to use for their first project anyway.

This is a problem for David since their filming department obviously isn't the best yet.

Producing a 'top-quality' movie in his memory, he feels like they might not be capable of pulling it off yet due to their average filming technology, small movie budget, along with all the risk of failures due to having no influence, being an unknown new company and all.

...

One morning, as he was sunbathing, lying in his pool loungers back at his home in Los Angeles, David suddenly thought, low budget, not the best quality technology, and a high box office?

Aren't most successful horror movies like this?

 

 

 

New Chapter five times a week! (Except Tuesday and Wednesday)

 

24