2 Questions and Answers – Mark
35 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'It's quite busy here of late. Those young men, lying dead in their hotelrooms. Two dead vampires found next to the rucksack of a student, Rhiannon Marrow, who wasn't seen ever since. Just around the corner of her apartment. A little blood but no other traces to be found.' detective Lisa Schulz muttered under her breath and leaned back on her chair. After not even a second she shifted her position placed her elbows on her desk and supported her head with her hands.

Her young partner and protège eyed her with a sour expression. Mark Stern the youngest one to ever be promoted to being detective in the capital crimes unit was displeased with his situation. Well not entirely that was for sure. He got to work together with his stepmother and reached his goal of becoming a detective quite early. These things could only be counted as pro. But on the other hand side they were kept on a tight leash.

'I am still convinced that those murders a to much of a coincidence... They have to be related. I smell the handiwork of a female serial killer. There's a signature. All men were athletes with dark hair and without any signs of force applied to their bodies. Besides they are dead. Struck down with a knife in their chests. I can't imagine why there aren't any signs of struggling or a fight. Their toxicology results are negative. No drugs or anesthesia. They are even holding a knife in their hands. Just how did they die? ' he asked his mentor.

Unsolved riddles. That's what Mark was all about. ' Sometimes he reminds me of a bloodhound. Never satisfied until he's got his kill.' Lisa thought watching him pacing in the empty space between their desks. She couldn't help but smile. This adopted son of hers was just like a child of her own. Her old team really needed someone like him. But right now wasn't the time for her to return. She couldn't even tell him the facts he longed to know. Lisa sighed frustrated.

Those rules were meant to protect them but sometimes they were just shackles. She watched her son being frustrated about those little details that would fit the whole picture in the right frame. Her whole being longed to tell him to release herself of the chains the council placed on her the moment she adopted Mark. But she just couldn't.

Even if he deserved to learn the truth. The decision to tell had never been hers. There were people not to be messed with. Watching him so agitated tore her apart. She felt guilty to keep it from him. But soon this damned play of seek and hide would be over. Her son would learn the truth he kept on searching for.

A moment of relief for her but also one of fear. How would he react? Learning about her connection and his past? His goddamn future that was not his to decide. Right now she could only keep quite and endure. Just a little longer.

She shook her head and answered with another lie 'Mark, my dear, I know a serial killer would be much more exciting for you but you have to face the truth. The special unit didn't find any evidence. By the way how is a female serial killer supposed to be able to get an athlete like this martial artist to do her will? Just a little seduction and they let her just kill without any resistance ? That's not really realistic. I think they killed themselves. Those nice dinners in fancy restaurants seem to be a way of saying goodbye to the world. Way above their station. Why treat them only to kill them later on? Maybe some kind of a suicidal sect? But even if you are right this so called series died of two months ago. '

Distracting him wasn't easy at all. Her bloodhound. He was quite a talent. His talents would be of great use in the future for the clans. She just hoped he would not be wasted in politics. Not like his late family.

Right now he was a young wolf running a track defying any force that went against him. She was so proud of him. Her only hope was that the people who were determining his future were worth it. No one should try to tame this spirit.

Meanwhile. Mark was still occupied with his own train of thoughts. Oblivious of the fact that his mother secretly shared his opinion he tried to convince her 'How are we supposed to understand the mind of a psychopath? And overpowering someone else in this way might be near impossible for a human woman... But I am not considering a human but a clan member.'

Secretly satisfied by his ability to come to the right conclusions she jumped onto the only gap in his defense. 'That's a narrow path you are walking... Better take care no other hears this thought of yours otherwise you will be grounded for racial profiling.'

Mark who knew she didn't contradict in meaning smiled inwardly and shook of her remark with a wave of his hand.

'you do know what I mean. Don't try to distract. You know that I am no racist. It's not that I think the clan members were more tending towards crimes due to their character. That's what those racist say. I think they are physically able to commit this kind of crime. '

Lisa sighed. Checkmate. He had already cornered her verbally. She would really like to admit it but she must not. Right now her only way out seemed to be bureaucracy. 'Even if you are able to convince me... We would still have to convince our boss. You know him. He is stubborn like hell. And by the way shouldn't we focus a little more on the case of that poor girl who went missing? You know 48hours...'

Mark shrugged and saw no reason to contradict this time. ' Guess you are right, mom.' Using her personal instead of her official address. She felt like she was torn apart. It felt like betrayal to leave him in the dark. But how could she tell him and without violating her oath.

In this moment the only thing she wanted was to bite him and transform him into one of her own. A member of her pack. Her alpha instincts were hard to keep down. She was the head of her clan. A minor clan without a say in the council. Her wolves were nothing but mere mortals compared to the big four. Dragon. Phenix. Sphinx. Vampire. Those were the only clans that mattered. Her feelings were close to overwhelming her.

She was saved by a little piece of paper. The departments secretary entered their room holding it in hand. Old and seasoned as she was she grasped the tension in the room with one look. Smiling she handed the paper to Lisa and left without a word.

Reading the few words hastily scribbled onto the sheet she sighed. Bad news. 'They declared the case of the student off-limits. They say she was well and taken care of. Being a member of the ancient clans now. The death of the vampires is declared solved too. This order is not to be disputed it was issued by the Minister of internal affairs directly. This is the power of the great clans. ' She told her son knowing he really would not like it.

Mark knew that this was the end so he decided to loosen up the tension he joked.' well mother if that's not racial profiling... '

Lisa knew she had said too much was happy he decided to let her of the hook. Luckily her son was merciful not pestering as if he knew she couldn't give in no matter what.

Looking at her wristwatch she was surprised how much time had gone by just discussing. Their shift was coming to an end. The nightshift was about to arrive. She smiled and replied to his joke 'guess you're right. I've been a hypocrite. But it's enough for today. I guess you are in a hurry right now, aren't you? Your rendezvous is waiting, son. Don't be late.'

'thank you mother. You know that I am going to propose to Jennifer. I am so nervous about it. Wish me luck. ' he smiled sincerely with a hint of shyness.

'you are my son. You do not need luck. You are more than her match, my dear. She will agree. With pleasure no doubt. Have a nice celebration afterwards with your hotblooded fiance-to-be. ' she smiled and chased him out of the room. Waving goodbye he left her running towards the elevator unable to keep his anticipation at bay. Just like the little boy he was the Lisa got to know him.

His mother stayed a while watching his back disappear. She knew this had been the last time she saw him in this life. He would return. Of course. But he would never be the same. The day of truth had arrived.

'A firebird. A goddamn phenix that is what you are going to be. The way you have chosen is one of the hardest. You didn't even know you had the choice. I guess that little girl didn't know either. See you in the morning light. That's what those immortals say. But another saying is that you have to die to become an immortal. Those great Clans play great games and we are only pawns. I will always be a pawn. But I guess you're going to become a player, my son. They are recruiting promising people like you. Make them choose sides without knowing they are choosing. I guess a war is about to start a civil war like none that has ever happened to be. I guess I am getting old. Maybe my time has finally come. '

With a sad smile the old wolf closed the door. Returning to her empty house she had shared with her son. That son that was going to be robbed of her tonight.

0