6 Cat Talk and Ley Lines
23 4 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Moira scratched her head. This was quite a headache she had herself gotten into, but at least she could always justify her actions with the transgressions the demons had committed of late. Her mother had told her about, but until this moment she had procrastinated the matter to when she was bound to the court. Now the nuisance came handy. Not that she would ever have admitted that her mother had helped her in anyway. That would have put her in a position where she would have to repay the favour and a favour was the last thing you should owe to any Sidhe much less the reigning queen.

Moira herself was a mere bastard. A product of a fling of her mother. Before she married the actual king, who was at the moment dealing with personal responsibilities, as he called it. Leaving the ruling to her mother, his first love. She had been called a burden and a mistake. Frowned upon by the court. Her leeway was somewhere between the adopted princess she was and the dragon scum she was called.

During her youth forced to tread lightly always trying to gain approval only to be either scolded as either scum or waste. Always being the best in her generation, a shield-maiden, par excellence. Only frowned upon as a war-hungry dragon. It had only gotten worse, when she had entered the melting, a period of time every dragon went through. Making her parentage obvious, giving her slitted pupils and dragon powers that had to be used unless one wanted them to run wild.

At this time the dragons had joined the ones trying to take advantage of her. With her father killed by some human knight, whilst visiting a Mortal plane, her aunt had tried to 'help' her. Manipulating and forming her to be the perfect tool. She had broken free, tried to at least. Her only duties were to come when summoned, fulfilling the tasks given and to be a judge at the high-counsel. Relative freedom she had fought for. A highly unusual freedom. Only granted due to her mother believing she couldn't do on her own and would come back eventually.

And now here she was depending on her mother's grace whilst walking the line of legality. It was dumb to help the girl, even though it was the right thing to do. She gambled her freedom for an unknown moon-shadow-elf. Moira sighed, looking at the Caithsidhe next to her.

'You are an unusual one. Neither dragon, nor Tuatha de Danann. Mixed blood and strict morals, though you like a good deal. The court's crazy to let you go, you have the making of a fine knight. But those blind snobs were the reason I left, seems they haven't changed. Prejudices all over the place.' Sweeper poured as she scratched his ears. It seemed as if the Caithsidhe had really made the effort to sneak into her mind. Moira smiled at the comment, unable to be annoyed by the cat.

'I guess you're right, Sweeper, thanks for the compliment by the way. I hope I can escape those strings completely one day.' Moira said smilingly.

'Unlikely, child, unlikely. That would be out off character for you. The king might even draft you for his upcoming war. The Morrigan is preparing all crows and wolves talk about it. The Hound will need every single one loyal to him in this war, especially since Manannan's people are still bound by searching for his stolen daughter. The Seagod even cursed his own kin to fire them up. Unlucky bastards, instead of being able to turn into any form they are bound to only turn into rats until she is found. And they have to turn from time to time to satisfy their nature.' the Caithsidhe declared shaking his head.

Moira grunted. This was not the first time she was thankful for dragon-kins resistance to magic. Being forced to turn into a rat was neither useful nor pleasing. The old trickster was mad to do so in her opinion, but cursing others into animal-forms was kind of a tradition in the Sidhe. She remembered the horse goddess Rhiannon forced into horse-form, for a deed she didn't even commit in the end and the swan-children to name only two examples.

'Good news for the commoners in the Mortal Planes, no Kelpies to fear at the moment.' she joked to loosen up the tension.

'You are right. But I guess you know how unfortunate a sudden change can be, especially if you are to small to protect yourself afterwards.' Sweeper sighed and wanted to add something when Lunara and Tora arrived.

The young elf now wearing traveller's clothes looked at Moira as if she was crazy talking to a cat. Tora on the other hand wore a worried expression.

'Sounds like the war you two are talking about is likely to sweep through all realms. Be careful not to be the spark, I know you would never forgive yourself if you were.'

'Don't fuss about it too much. I am going to take this little mouse here to Elric right now, so no need to worry for us right now.' Moira said and headed towards the door. Lunara caught of guard by the sudden movement hurried to follow. Tora looked at Sweeper and chuckled 'I guess she will never change. Always doing what she deems right, though not as reckless as she was, when younger.' The caithsidhe nodded knowingly in response.

Outside the of the tavern Moira turned to Lunara and asked 'Ever travelled the Lines?'

'What lines?' the young elf asked astonished.

'The Ley-Lines, fast-tracks to travel between different planes and places inside certain planes. They are like veins of energy connecting special places like that circle of stones, but you can also leave in the middle of a ride if you can stand the energy and know what you do.' the half-dragon explained

'Well I just entered Stone Hedge and did a certain ritual ending up here. Does that count?' Lunara asked.

'It certainly doesn't. It's like touching a horse and telling you knew how to ride. But fear not before the end of this endeavour you will be considered excellent. But since you will need to get used to it first, I will carry you this time.' Moira said and changed into her dragon form.

Lunara looked flabbergasted at the huge red and gold dragon kneeling down in front of her in order to help her get on her huge back.

'Get up, ya Idiot. Won't stay like this for eternity. Ain't a horse, you know. Hop on and hold fast. There is a between my shoulder spikes sit there and you won't be stabbed.' Moira snarled rolling her eyes at the frightened elf.

Lunara shaking of the fear gathered her courage and climbed on Moira's back, who sat herself in motion.

' how is it possible to change forms... I mean you gain and lose a lot of mass? And your clothes why aren't they ripped? ' Lunara asked as she settled down. The dragon smiled. It was a disturbing thing to behold due to the display of sharp teeth.
'Well I am a being of the Sidhe a being of magic. That means I am a summon. We are not bound to a certain physical form. I promised not to go into detail about it. So I can't go any further than that. But now hold fast... we will take off...' Moira explained and jumped into the Ley line.

Lunara was more than a little relieved that she could simply sit on her guides back and watch her navigate through the line. It was a turmoil of colours, sounds and feelings nothing tangible but far too real to ignore. After about two seconds the journey was over and Lunara heaved a sigh of relief. Moira chuckled lightly and said 'Get down. I have to change forms otherwise I will not be welcome in Bergströmer.'

Lunara glided down and Moira changed to her Sidhe form. But this time the princess didn't bother hiding her aura.
The young elf who had thought about it as a coat now saw a blinding halo until her magic sense got used to it.
' Why are you revealing your aura?' she asked curiously.
'It's meaningless and impolite to hide amongst allies and old friends. I am well known and a representative of the Tuatha de Danann as well as the dragons here. I am to show my power. And that is not even near my maximum. ' she replied with a crooked smile.

'Than why didn't you hide at the tavern?' Lunara asked her curiously.
'Well first of all I didn't really hide, just dimmed it a bit. Second I was not sure who you were. Third I thought it impolite towards the being far older than me to be boasting. I just keep my aura at a level that is comfortable for me. Tora doesn't like boasters and snobs. It's not she hasn't dealt with my aura in full bloom... It's impossible to control whilst unconscious and it likes to act up and protect me than.'
'Honestly I can relate to that thought. I don't like boasters too.'Lunara answered not knowing what to think about such an aura running wild. Sounded creepy, like something she would rather not endure.

At the end of the broad street they were walking through huge city gates, that were opened widely. They let into the foot of the mountain. Although the inside was brightly lit it still looked like a maw of some giant creature.
Lunara shuddered she was a little afraid of going down under the surface. Tons of stone between her and the sky.

'Some part of me doesn't like it either. It feels like suffocating to the Tuatha de Danann. But my dragon side feels right at home. This makes me feel torn. Itchy of sorts. It is worse in this form.' Moira told her companion.
'Than why don't you change form?' Lunara asked happy about the distraction.
'My paternal ancestors aren't exactly the most beloved species among dwarfs. Rivals in almost every discipline. And their wars were gruesome. They struck a deal with each other. Dragons would only be welcomed in their second form and dwarfs would only visit with enchanted weapons. If not especially told otherwise... It's much better this way. 'she explained earnestly.

They had passed the gates and were greeted by the keepers in a very polite way.

After entering the city the street directly divided into many other smaller tunnels.' in case of war it's easier to block them.'Moira answered the question in Lunara's eyes.
Lunara felt completely lost after a few turns and curves in the labyrinth of Bergströmer and wondered how Moira navigated it so easily.
She was sure she couldn't even backtrack to the gates if asked.
After a while they reached a tunnel that had an opening to a crate at its end.
Even before she smelled the smoke she hear the Dwarven hammers put to work. It was deafening and melodious at the same time. They were working in the crate.

The two women entered and Moira led Lunara straight to the back end of the crate. There was a good looking young, rather Sidhe-looking dwarf at work.
'Hello Elric.' she said in a calm tone that still was easily heard.
'Long time no see, my love. You come to work with me? To answer my woe? Or do you bring work for me?' he asked without looking up.
'you know what would happen if I were to marry you, my love. you know that doesn't mean I am not here to be with you.'
She answered sincerely.
Lunara wondered what they meant by what would happen if they were to marry. She could tell their love was not for show. The beautiful dwarf sighed.
' Even my own mixed ancestry can't convince our royals to allow us to be together... I am half a dragon.... But I see that you brought work as well.' 'I know dear.... Yes I guided her to you. But I won't mingle in your business deals. That's for the two of you to negotiate.' she answered and smiled at them.
'Yes that's what I thought. But I won't even negotiate with her if you don't agree to help me smithing her weapon.' he smiled back. 'I know you are at least as good as me.' he added. Moira looked shocked and angry at him. But he just smiled at her. After a while she lowered her head and said disgruntled 'Fine... I will help. But if anyone of you ever talks about me as a Smith I will flay you.'
'Charming as always. It's still about your mother I suppose. 'her spouse laughed, leaving Lunara even more flabbergasted.
Than he turned to her 'Okay. This won't be cheap. You are about to commission not one but the two of the best smiths existing. What will you offer?' he asked businesslike. Nothing remained of his flirting tone. 'You aren't asking me what kind of weapon I want?' Lunara asked.
'No. I won't because we won't be producing what you want, but what you need.' he answered her sternly and smiled in an odd manner.

1