Chapter 35 – Finally Escaped! [End of Arc 1]
6.1k 32 170
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After Lloyd finished his seemingly infinite tour, taking us to every nook and cranny of the town, we were finally given a chance to absorb all of the information. We went past multiple guilds which Lloyd explained was the true reason as to why the town was flourishing. There were two huge marble buildings, one was the ‘hunters’ guild whose name was self-explanatory. They hunted m-

 

*shudder*

 

They hunted monsters and sold their cores to the guild which would be exchanged at the merchant guild in return for money. I guess bordering a demon’s territory made it a bustling opportunity for merchants and hunters alike assuming they gathered ‘rare’ cores.

 

*gulp*

 

While I’m by no means weak or like my ‘fellow’ monsters, it wouldn’t stop my stomach churning which didn't necessarily help with Marie smirking at me the entire time while we visited the building. Though the exterior of both buildings looked the same, their insides couldn’t be further apart, with the merchant guild looking like shiny and rich as if all members were nobles, the hunters’ guild was full of jocks and the occasional average looking person or mage.

The other buildings didn’t look run down or like the wooden stalls ‘back home’ by any means, they just didn’t stand out. Other than the toys store I guess which Emil wanted to visit. Oh well, time to catch a breather and leave inconspicuously!

 

“Hey Alice, would you like to visit the library?”

 

“Sure, Ll-master,”

 

It might be a good idea if I can find some books to take with me once I leave through border.

 

“Brother Lloyd, is it okay if I go to the toys shop while you and Alice look at books?”

 

Emil asked, eyes shining.

 

“Of course, Marie look after Emil alright?”

 

“Fine.”

 

Was that an internal sigh I was hearing? After her reaction about his visit to the carriage, this was pretty unenthusiastic. No… could it be… she has a brother complex?

 

*shake*

 

Marie wouldn’t do this. I hope.

 

“Pardon me Alice, but is everything alright?”

 

I should be more mindful of my actions in public.

 

“Yes, sorry!”

 

“Well then, with that, we’ll be off!”

 

Giving a wave, we left the duo. Ideally, for the last time in a while.

The library itself was grand and fully categorised into various sections. Surprisingly close to a modern-day bookstore despite the very large warning in bold saying that there is a countermeasure to thievery. Well, it was time to find what I was looking for! I needed something similar to the one with the map in the estate and the one on monster biology.

 

“Master Lloyd, if we may, is it okay if we split up from here?”

 

I tried to smile as brightly as possible. Last time I’ll have to put up this act!

 

“Sure, let me know if you find something interesting!”

 

“Of course,”

 

And with that, time to find the ones I needed. What was it called? The one on monsters was called the ‘compendium of monsters’ and the other one? Wooden cover with geography plastered on the title somewhere. God bless categorized shelves!

After making sure that the geography book had the pages I needed, I tried to find the one on monsters, but to no avail. The closest one was a hunter’s guide – which I refuse to take.

 

Checking to make sure my surroundings are clear, holding the geography book I try to absorb it within me.

Urgh. I clutched my chest with one hand and the other, my stomach. Where was this pain coming from? Closing my eyes, I took the book out and relaxed myself again. Was the book coated in magic or was my internal storage full?

If I hold the book in my palm and try to absorb any magic-

No, there’s no reaction.

This damn merchant filling his ring up with useless rocks. Maybe not useless since I already absorbed them, but my idiotic brain not removing these when I had the chance. I have money with me right now, but maybe I could sell these crystals at the cursed guild if they have one in the demon lord territory. Time for the fated moment. After the absorbing, the book again, as the pain started to return again, I bit my lip and tried to apply the body strengthening magic I absorbed. It failed in Marie’s room, but……

 

Phew. They don’t have anything that applies it here! I’ll assume that the countermeasure to thievery was something like the detectors in the entrances of markets used back in Earth. If so, I’ll just have to jump out of the window. As I climbed the stairs up to the top floor, occupied by a couple of readers I tip-toed to the window facing another building, opened it and readied myself.

My heartbeat got faster from the adrenaline as I bent my legs getting ready to spring myself up to the roof of the opposite building. Breathing in for the last time. I think to myself, “thank you for this wonderful opportunity Lloyd and goodbye!”.

 

*Kick*

 

“Aaaaaaaaa”

 

The body strengthening really allowed me to jump far higher, but since I didn’t test the skill out properly previously, I underestimated it and fell face first to the roof. Hopefully not too many people were alerted. Or at the very least, they don’t look into it. Continuing to scale the various buildings that stood in my way from here to the exit. I finally saw the opposite side of the border we entered through. It was much more heavily guarded with various species standing in lines. On the road with forests on either side. With all of this done, time to take the leap of faith and leave this life of servitude behind!

170