Chapter 3 – A New Beginning
218 3 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arthur opened his eyes.

He was in a bed in an unfamiliar room.

This was the first time he's been in a bed since he was unwillingly transported from Earth

"Hi. You're awake" a beautiful woman said, as she sat next to his bed

"Er. hi!" Arthur said weakly as he tried to sit up, only to groan in pain.

"Don't sit up. Your ribs are still broken." she said

"Did you.. rescue me?" Arthur asked

"No. It was my husband who rescued you from the river while he was out hunting" she replied

"Victor! He's awake!" she yelled suddenly

A muscular handsome man walked into the room with a smile

"Good. You're awake! I am Victor, and this is my wife Alysson" he said

"Thank you for saving me. My name is Arthur...us.... Arthurus" Arthur answered

"May I ask what happened to you? Why were you naked and drowning in the river?" Alysson asked

"Well I....suddenly appeared in the forest while I was showering at home and suddenly a large tiger attacked me, injuring my chest as I jumped into the river" Arthur said, pretending to be a new arrival.

People still regularly appear from Earth, so this gave him the perfect opportunity to start anew. 

"Yes, that makes sense. Your wounds match those of a sabretooth tiger clawmark. You were fortunate to survive that. Most people who appear from..... Earth.. usually appear in the cities or towns. I seldom hear of anyone appearing in the forest, but maybe all of them died in the wild without anyone knowing" Victor said. 

"Perhaps" Arthur said, letting Victor fill in the blanks himself. 

They continued chatting and Arthur found out that Victor was an C grade adventurer in the Adventurer's guild. Alysson was a healer who concocted potions to sell in the market. 

After a week of staying in their house, Arthur was well enough to get up and walk slowly, even though his ribs were still heavily bandaged. 

Victor assisted Arthur to get his potential tested at the Adventurer Guild and as Arthur expected, he was found to have an incredible amount of mana. 

The orb that the adventurer's guild had could detect a mage's potential, but it didn't have a meter showing the amount of mana. So it merely glowed very brightly. 

And such, Arthur was registered as a E grade Mage in the Adventurer's guild in the small town of Guanar.

--

6 Months later, Arthurus had already risen to Level 6.

Although it was reasonably fast, it was only marginally faster than average. 

 And although he had an impressive amount of mana, he didn't have a natural element he had an affinity to. 

He was learning from several mages in the guild, water magic from Listria the lamia water mage, to Anita the elven air mage and of course Druff, the dwarven earth mage.

They were all famous locally for being the top elemental mage of their type in the region and were B grade adventurers. 

They all agreed to take him under their wing to see if he was suited to their element as they went on missions together and taught him their elemental basic spells. . 

And although he did gain some degree of ability in each element, he didn't really demonstrate a great talent in any of them. 

As they had already taught him the basics in their element, it was a mage's duty to improve by themselves.  

Thus, they released him from his apprenticeship and went on their way. 

He was grateful, as although he wasn't particularly great at any of those elements, at least he was now a qualified mage. 

As an adventurer, Arthurus was an anomaly. 

If you were looking for a mage for your mission, he wasn't one you would look for. 

However, if you were looking for someone like an archer, you might want to consider Arthurus because he shoots wind blades, has water whips and can generate earth shields. 

These were all basic spells, but Arthurus seemed to be able to conjure them without tiring, unlike an archer who could run out of arrows. 

Thus Arthurus slowly gained a reputation of being useful. Not overly powerful, but useful enough to be promoted to D grade adventurer. 

As Arthurus was improving at a steady pace, he decided to widen his horizons and learn more magic by going to the city of Castalot, a week's journey from Guanar. 

He also had to register in the Mage's guild to be recognized as an official mage, which he couldn't do from Guanar. 

He said goodbye to Victor, Alysson and his friends, as well as the local mages Listria, Anita and Druff, not knowing if he'll decide to stay in the city or not. 

This world was large, and now being 17 years old, he still had a long life to live. 

As he now could stand on his own two feet, he decided to explore the world, and see what it is all about. 

It also revitalized his dream of perhaps returning home some day. 

As he set off the next day, all he had were two changes of clothes in his bag, dry rations, his staff and his mage robe. 

It didn't really provide any protection like an armor, and contained no magic spells of protection. 

However, wearing a mage's robe provided some form of intimidation and favor, since mages were well respected. 

The first few days were uneventful as he ate his rations and stayed out of trouble 

He hunted small prey like rabbits and chickens if they were available, but most of the time, he tried to stay out of trouble.

Halfway to the city, he suddenly heard sounds of battle. 

He immediately hid himself, but his curiosity got the best of him and he got closer and closer to the battle, while still remaining a safe distance away. 

To his amazement, he saw a group of adventurers fighting a large hydra!

A hydra was ranked a S ranked beast, which was way higher than his level could handle.

But the group seemed to be keeping the monster back.

There was a high level archer, shooting lightning arrows at it, without needing arrows from a quiver. There was a swordsman, fighting it with his blazing sword. 

Suddenly, the hydra retreated and started running in Arthur's direction!

Seeing the hydra's speed, Arthur closed his eyes as he knew he was done for.

Suddenly, he could see his own breath condensing and his body started shivering.

He opened his eyes to see the hydra completely frozen in ice!

A beautiful woman stood in front of the tree he was hiding behind

She had white hair which covered the right side of her face, and there was a small sprite sitting on her shoulder.

"You may come out now" her cold voice sounded as the archer and swordsman ran towards her.

Arthur walked out from behind the tree, shivering

"What are you doing here?" the swordsman asked, sheathing his sword, realizing that Arthur provided no threat.

10