Painful history and strange dreams
2.7k 6 126
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Well, I can’t say that this is what I expected exactly, but I’d say it works for you,” I said, trying not to look too dumbfounded.

 

“Thanks, but there is one more thing that isn’t apparent just from looking at me.”

 

“Oh, what might that be?”

 

“Well, being a succubus, I might start affecting your dreams. During the day I can control my allure, but while I’m asleep it leaks out a bit.”

 

“How do you mean, affecting my dreams?”

 

“Are you really gonna make me spell it out for you? You’re probably going to start having a lot more wet dreams, and a lot of them will probably feature me,” Rowan answered, trying to stay as deadpan as possible, but a deep purple blush betrayed her otherwise stoic face.

 

“Oh, I guess I can see how that might have made a roommate situation untenable over time.”

 

“Yeah, normally I don’t tell people I’m a succubus anymore, but they still get weirded out by how often they dream about me, so they ask me to leave, and that’s when I know it’s time to split.”

 

“That sounds like a pretty lonely way to live, but why not just have a straight woman or a gay guy as a roommate?” I asked, feeling sympathy at how long she must have been living this way.

 

“Well, the reason I don’t room with gay guys or straight women is that they still get the dreams and that has the potential to get really ugly really quickly if they think I’m corrupting them or some shit,” Rowan replied with a weary look on her face that made it clear that she knew this from experience.

 

“I’m sorry you had to go through all that.”

 

“It’s fine, things have gotten a lot better in the last century or so. Nowadays it’s more common that I get people that are a bit too into having a succubus as a roommate.”

 

“Ugh, that sounds unpleasant.”

 

“Yeah, that’s the main reason I don’t tell people these days, and I just don’t even bother trying to room with religious types for obvious reasons.”

 

“Well, I promise I’ll try to be as professional as possible.”

 

“Thanks, but if you start to feel uncomfortable with me living here, don’t hesitate to let me know.”

 

“Will do,” I said, hoping it would never get to that point.

 

We spent the rest of the night just hanging out like usual, just with her being a succubus rather than a human. After a little while she showed me that she could make some minor alterations to how she looked while in her succubus form, like having human feet or hiding her wings. After a couple of hours of just hanging out, we both decided it was time for bed, and I was a little bit nervous what kind of dreams I might have. As soon as I was asleep, I was dreaming, and the strange thing was that it was the first time I was able to tell I was dreaming, but I didn’t have control over the dream. The first thing I noticed was that it was nothing like what I expected; there was nothing sexy about the dream at all, all that was there was a field that on one side was bordered by mountains and in every other direction just continued endlessly. After some unknown amount of time exploring, I saw something in the distance; when I reached this object, I noticed that it was a mirror, but for some reason when I looked in it the image was extremely blurry and I couldn’t make out anything. Then just as suddenly as the dream started, I woke up. 

 

I opened my eyes to find the sun just starting to shine through my window bathing the room in the warm glow of dawn, not unlike the environment of my dream. I wanted to just stay in my bed while that magical early morning light washed over me, but my stomach reminded me that it was time for breakfast. Getting up out of bed and brushing my hair out of my eyes, I realized that I already should be getting a haircut, which was strange, because I’d just gotten it cut a month ago; it shouldn’t have been getting in my eyes yet. Slightly confused by the fact that my hair had seemingly grown faster than I thought and I hadn’t noticed, I made my way toward the kitchen to make some breakfast. I decided to make something simple, just some bacon and then eggs scrambled with chopped pieces of bacon and green onions in the bacon grease. About halfway through cooking breakfast, Rowan made her way into the kitchen and this morning she was in her partially transformed state.

 

“Mmm, that smells delicious, I always loved your cooking,” Rowan said while inhaling deeply over the pan.

 

“Yeah, well, don’t get used to it; I only cook like this on my days off and I expect you to chip in too, since we’re roommates.”

 

“Of course, but for now I’ll simply revel in it. Anyway, did you have any interesting dreams last night?” Rowan asked while trying her best to look sultry and nearly choking on a piece of bacon.

 

“I thought succubi were supposed to be good at flirting.”

 

“Just because I supernaturally seduce people doesn’t mean I’m any good at it the normal way, and don’t try to get out of telling me all the lurid details of your first dreams in the same place as me.”

 

“Honestly, there’s not much to tell. There was just this field with a mirror in it that didn’t work, nothing sexy at all,” I replied, almost feeling a little ashamed at how boring it must have meant I was.

 

“Huh, that’s really weird; I actually amped up my aura a bit to try and give you an extra good night. What do you mean, the mirror didn’t work?”

 

“I mean it didn’t work; when I looked in it, all I saw was this blurry blob. Maybe I’m just asexual and it was some weird normal dream.”

 

“Nah, that’s not it. Even if you’re ace, you’d still get the dreams, you just wouldn’t enjoy them very much.”

 

“Then what does it mean?” I asked, starting to grow nervous that there might be something wrong with me.

 

“Honestly? I have no idea, I’ve never heard of anything like this; I’m going to have to ask my parents about it. In the meantime, there shouldn’t be anything dangerous about this, so just try not to stress about it,” Rowan said, trying to reassure me.

 

The rest of breakfast passed in silence, which left me with some time to think about what all of this might mean. My first thought was that maybe I was just somehow immune for some unknown reason, but there had to be a reason. I then remembered that one time my mom had told me that one of my ancestors was a demon, but I always thought that she just wanted me to be more interested in our family history. I decided that I was going to have to talk to Mom about this, which was going to certainly be an interesting experience.

126