Chapter 4 – Death’s Friend
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Elemental magic, the foundation of the Serion Kingdom, the most simple yet the most variable and unique experience to Mages. Affinity can’t be forced, but the development and advancement of Elemental Mages are far from being decided by their birth. The greatest magic instructors would say that the decisive factor for advancement is the relationship of the Mages with their element.

Genes can play an indisputable part in the Mage’s power though. A strong affinity makes it easier to find that deep connection with the element, but personality also plays an important role. The discussion about what is the cause and what is the effect never reached a defined conclusion, some defend that strong affinity influences the personality, while others believe that the personality increases the affinity.

The fact remains that Mages can only advance when their emotions are in sync with their element. However, the really powerful Mages say that their strength comes from better understanding the element, which isn’t publicly announced because touches upon the secret for the Commander's advancement.

The levels that portrait the strength and ability of Elemental Mages over their elements are well known, but the requirements to advance past an Invoker are heavily guarded by the Powerhouses. Candidate, Invoker, Commander, Evoker and Elemental, the five levels that promise to transform a common person into a powerful immortal entity, though few believe the last level (Elemental) can be reached by Humans.

The Candidate level, as the title involves everyone with elemental affinity, even though there is a large difference between an untrained and a trained Candidate. Mages in the Candidate level can hardly use the element, but they can reach for the connection and benefit from its power, or suffer from it…

To advance to the Invoker level, the Mage needs minimum control over the element. The specific process starts with acquiring one or more of the unique abilities from the element and ends when the Mage learns an innate Elemental Spell. The innate spell is the symbol of the Mage’s connection with the element and the only spell available without the need for casting.

Elemental spells are formed by elemental energy, which is present in practically everything in the material world, but in low concentrations. Some elements are easier to find than others, like wind or earth. The more difficult ones, on the other hand, will be found in higher concentrations, because everything is balanced in nature. Wind is available everywhere, but fire contains much more elemental energy.

The challenges of elemental casting are usually solved by the use of elemental crystals. For fire Mages, they offer that initial spark so difficult to find in the environment, while the crystal can help wind Mages cast stronger spells that need more energy concentration. What brings a problem back to the innate spells.

An innate spell is instinctive and thus needs to be cast using only the Mage’s innate resources, even though it could be powered by external resources after being formed. Therefore, most of the innate spells are very simple and weak, and could be taught by an instructor. However, sometimes a Mage can form an unexpected innate spell, which would be more suited and stronger than a basic innate spell chosen by an instructor. Even so, practically all Mages prefer to learn an innate spell than to form it naturally, which could take years if not decades.

Alice was being taught a simple Water Breathing Spell, which was an easy spell that spread her affinity to attract air bubbles, allowing her to breathe underwater. However, she couldn’t imagine that a moment of strong emotions and deep connection with her element, would result in her forming an innate spell, marking her advancement to Invoker.

Actually, the Bubble Spell was very common and a signature of bubble Mages, like Flame for fire Mages, Water Jet for water Mages, Breeze for wind Mages, and Earth Wall for earth Mages. However, the Bubble spell was too complex to be an innate spell, making it a fortunate incident.

Being an innate spell didn’t mean that the Mage would cast it without noticing or understanding it, just that it could be cast without effort. So, in the milliseconds that took Alice to cast the spell, she already understood what it was and even hoped that her jewels, the necklace and ring, would strengthen it, but she wasn’t expecting it to hold against the strong Poison Dart.

Surprisingly, the Bubble held and only disappeared after stopping the dart, leaving the green energy to spread around the room and failing to touch the pair before vanishing into the ice floor.

Everyone was shocked, Ivy looking at them with hatred and disbelief, Reaper embracing the delicate girl without comprehending what happened, and Alice silently thanking her element while holding to the boy.

“Mistress! Run!”

The magic scene was broken by Clarissa's scream, who looked desperate at the Poison Mage trying to form another spell, but Alice wouldn’t back down, not now that she felt powerful and worthy. She reached for the familiar connection trying to summon another Bubble.

The strong feeling of protection, now much more confident and familiar, grew in her heart creating a Bubble that left her and got empowered by her jewels before forming a dome around them. However, because of the adrenaline, Alice failed to estimate her own strength and almost fainted. Thankfully, Reaper was already embracing her and could easily offer the needed support.

Even with the tense atmosphere, they couldn’t help but blush because of intimate contact, but Ivy wasn’t planning to let them enjoy the moment. After taking another poison MQ crystal from a drawer, she started to form a Poison Mist around the Bubble. Ivy laughed maniacally and spilled a lot of curses while pushing the poison energy towards them.

The Bubble started to show signs of corrosion, Alice felt weak but she pushed herself up and started to create a connection with the Bubble and the crystals in her jewels. Fortunately, she had enough spiritual energy to create the connection, once they touched, the energy flowed from the crystals and supplemented the Bubble Spell. 

The Bubble shined stronger again, disregarding the damage caused by Poison Mist and earning a displeased reaction from Ivy. Unfortunately, the Mage was more wicked than they imagined and started directing the Mist towards the desperate attendants.

The unexpected move, took everyone by surprise and made the servants too slow to run from the Poison Mist. Clarissa and Dolan screamed in pain while falling to the ground. Alice started crying, the scene was too unbelievable and evil for her to comprehend, while Reaper had already released her and reaching for the death element connection inside him.

His hate for Ivy had grown stronger than anything else he was feeling, the only thought in his head was to bring death to her. Alice felt the strong uncomfortable energies growing beside her, she tried to engage Reaper but he dashed out of the Bubble before she could, only leaving sorrowful words behind:

“I’m sorry…”

Reaper ran towards Ivy, pushing all his hate towards the deadly connection. Black veins appeared over his body, spreading towards his hands until they concentrated on his palms, forming a big dark spot. The Mist made him sick, but he ignored it, his own energies were affecting him more.

For the first time, Ivy looked scared, she finally understood how dangerous the death Mage could be. The Mist started to disperse while Ivy decided to flee, but Reaper was already on her.

When the black spot touched her shoulders, a strong feeling of sickness and tiredness invaded her, weaves spread quickly through her body taking away every good feeling along with her energy. Ivy tried to scream, but even her voice was robbed, while the darkness in Reaper’s eyes only grew.

He felt good, really good, the savory taste of revenge got mixed with the fulfillment he felt from drain her life, birthing a new hype sensation in him. Alice saw, for the first time, Reaper’s dark side, which everyone warned her about. It scared her, making her hesitate in believing he was different from how everyone painted him.

However, the thought of abandoning him to deal with his element connection alone made her feel angry with herself. After she advanced, she understood how strong the elemental influence was and she could only imagine how much he had to fight against the deadly desires.

“Reaper, stop…”

Alice said it softly while walking towards the raging death Mage. He didn’t respond, but she continued:

“She is evil, but you don’t have to kill her, look at how scared she is… Calm yourself now… I’m safe, Clarissa and Dolan are safe, let’s leave her to deal with her loss alone.

Something in Alice’s voice woke him, from the sea of dark emotions, Reaper saw a bright light, it made him want to smile, a happy smile. He tried to push the death energy away, but it didn’t respond, he pushed harder until he finally realized it was his energy, something that came from inside him.

He remembered the ancient voice that made it recede last time, the words were unknown to him, but also strangely familiar, he repeated them loudly in his mind:

Amsugno, egni marwolaeth…

The dark feelings retreated inside him, the big dark stop on his hands started to faint, spreading in form of black veins through his arms and body to a place he didn’t know. Reaper’s eyes finally cleared and Ivy started to breathe again.

Reaper allowed Alice to guide him towards the door without speaking or looking at each other. Before they left the room, she turned back to pitiful looking poison Mage and said without a hint of hesitation or sympathy:

“Next time, I’ll help to kill you…”

.........

“Should we punish her, mother?”

“Hmm, no need… She understands her place now… Either way, her part is done, Reaper now needs another type of push… Now, the girl really surprised me. Her genes are strong, she’ll be a great wife for you…”

“So we should separate them… Their proximity bothers me, even more now that he pushed her to complete the advancement with such a strong innate spell…”

“Haha… Kids and their plays… I don’t care if it bothers you, deal with it… Just don’t hinder his path and don’t separate them right now, it’s not the right time, a broken heart is a great last push towards darkness…”

0