– 9 –
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Time passed and Xavier’s days became significantly less free now that his Rank had climbed past the threshold for the lower class. Xavier claimed Aria as his significant other and she was given access to his residence. Months later, the bi-annual tournament came around. They both participated in their own Rank categories. Xavier placed third, leaving a bad taste in his mouth, but he was recruited by a hearty, enigmatic mentor. His Rank growth had some of the senior generations wide-eyed as he rose to 2132 in mere months after the tournament. Aria’s growth was much slower, but she eventually crawled across that line which meant they could spend much more time together. It only took a few more weeks for Xavier to cross the line of 2000, in which they were relocated to the inner city. Xavier claimed Aria as his life partner and disciple, and when she could focus on studying, her Rank rocketed upward.

Two tournaments later, Xavier broke through the barrier of the top 100 and Aria broke through 2000, though not without constant coaching from Xavier. At this point, Xavier overtook his mentor and claimed his spot as Rank 85. When his rise was highest and his growth continued meteorically rising through the ranks, tragedy struck.

Seventeen tier one cities were destroyed and five tier two fell. The One spoke for everyone to see after many years of silence, not a peep could be heard as the dome filled with The One’s face - a Race Xavier had never seen; a thin face leading to a large cranium with several eye-stalks twitching in every direction, and her eyes were a deep cerulean.

Her calm voice, garnering every person’s attention, echoed out through the domed city. “My people, we face trying times. Our world is crumbling and only Eternia will remain in another ten years. The information was kept secret, but the calamities have collapsed a tier three city.”

Gasps and cries of hopelessness rose across the world.

“Yes, these are trying times, but there is hope,” she paused as she looked off-screen. A deep sigh escaped and she turned back to the screen, “Three more tier two have fallen. Any who wish to come to Eternia to discuss salvation, let your nearest Representative know. Thank you for your valuable time and never forget: We are the last hope.”

Six months passed and, instead of participating in the bi-annual tournament, he was shipped off to Eternia with Aria in hand. In no time, they were led to a meeting area and were surprised. Almost nobody showed. For how many cities that remained, the few hundred people really showed how many people were ready to accept their fate or live in denial.

“This is sickening,” Xavier said under his breath. He reached for his smokes but realized they weren’t there. All of his paraphernalia had been confiscated before he got onto the underground tram. “Shit, this sucks.”

Aria only held his arm tightly, her rapid heartbeat telling him everything he needed to know. This can’t be it, right? They have to have more than one location…

The room had plenty of space for nearly a hundred times the amount of people with a stage at the front. The room dimmed and the stage lit up, the curtains being drawn aside to reveal The One in all her glory.

Beside her eyestalks, she looked pretty average compared to other races he’d seen in his time. She also had two pairs of limbs lower down her torso and a pair of wings folded neatly on her back. When she spoke, Xavier blasted out with all the magic in his body as his mind felt like it would be torn to shreds.

He could read her lips from his position, “That was… unexpected.”

His eyes steeled and he stood his ground as his violet mana roiled in protest. She kept speaking and he saw that each person in the room had collapsed forward.

Her eye stalks closed and she whispered out with a wave of her hand, “Disperse.”

All the energy around him faded and returned back to his body, seemingly locked behind the will of The One.

“Your energy type is unique- unlike anything I’ve seen before. Also, quick reflexes and a strong will. It’ll be you,” she said dismissively before turning away, the stage curtains closing behind her.

Xavier breathed heavily and he slumped back against the wall. She had only been testing them and she was that powerful…

“Monster,” he said, all consciousness fading as the adrenaline faded and his mana wracked his body in painful spasms.

When he woke, he saw that Aria sat next to him on a comfortable bed. When he tried to sit up, he almost passed out and his head hammered in protest.

“That…”

“Yeah…” Aria agreed with him. She touched his face gently, trying her best to soothe his pain. She asked in confusion and anger, “What the hell happened?”

“It was a test, and I passed somehow. Those eyes of hers seem to amplify her magic,” he said as a look of fear and apprehension washed over him.

“Why doesn’t she lead an army against the calamities or the expedition into the underworld if she’s so powerful?” Aria asked and Xavier just looked at her.

“You don’t think…?” he questioned, but he really didn’t know what to think. “Do you think they’re that powerful or is this something more insidious? What if… do you think she could be holding back?” His mind raced at a mile an hour.

“I really don’t know. I’m afraid, Xavier. Have we made a mistake by coming here?” she asked as she hung onto his waist.

He reached for his pocket, annoyed by the lack of the familiar pack of smokes. His lips craved the familiar feel of cigarettes on his lips. He instead turned and kissed Aria, taking comfort in her presence.

“Maybe you should-.” he started to speak.

“I’m not leaving you,” she interrupted, holding him tighter.

“Okay, then we should-.” A knock at their door interrupted him again, and a letter slid under their door with a silver stamp. He looked at Aria and she looked away, a grin on her face. With a roll of his eyes, he got up and picked it up.

 

0