Chapter 13 – For the Team
217 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Back at the academy, lunchtime had arrived, with Alexia and Matty meeting up to eat in the cafeteria. A disgruntled Matty was still off about earlier that very morning with Deveron, along with Alexia's entire decision.

"So. You're finally going to tell me what's going on?" Matty asked, taking a seat at an empty table.

"Whatcha wanna know?" Alexia sat down close to her. The cafeteria food wasn't the best, merely slop on a tray for the most part. Prisoners had better food than this.

"For starters, That device on your wrist. Let me see it." Matty reached her hand across the table to get Alexia's right hand. Alexia allowed her to take it, not bothering to eat her food at the moment. Upon closer inspection, Matty could tell this device was remarkable, but she had never seen anything like this. This particular device's framework was like something out of a science fiction film due to its black coating around it. Matty glanced up towards Alexia with a concerned look.

"So what does it do exactly? Or better yet, how does it feel?"

Alexia took a moment to take her hand away from Matty. She'd hold up her wrist into the light coming from a nearby window. Indeed, this bracelet was quite an expensive trinket. Taking a moment to collect her thoughts, Alexia wondered if she should tell Matty what this bracelet did to her during the first month of wearing it. Honestly, it was better to ask her to begin with since Matty was her best friend and closest friend she had at this two-year-old academy.

"To tell you the truth. It was hell."

"Excuse me?" Matty perked up a bit, also glancing at the bracelet with Alexia.

"You heard me; I've never been sick before in my life. It was honestly a literal hell! How can you do it, Matty." Alexia lowered her arm, beginning to eat.

"Well, being sick is normal for me. But I'm not sick all the time. Was that really your first time getting sick? Why does that thing make you feel sick?" Matty continued the question.

"Yes, even now, just thinking about it makes me upset." Alexia's expression became more annoyed at the thought of her sickness. Just the mere thought brought discomfort.

"Did you go see a doctor?"

"I did, but they didn't find anything out of the ordinary and just gave me some regular cold medicine."

"Ah, my apologies for asking then. So… They didn't think it odd you were wearing that bracelet?"

"I wasn't wearing it when I went."

"Clever, Okay. But does that model have a name?"

Alexia looked back down at her suppressor to see if it had a model number or name on it. Nothing was found when she tried to check before, but giving it a glance once more, she found a strange red-marking engraved into the side of the suppressor. The words marked 'EX' were etched onto the device; that was odd. It wasn't there before, she thought.

"EX. Is what I'm seeing…" Alexia informed, remembering that she did feel this device was adapting to her body and only getting stronger as she grew.

"EX? So Extreme, maybe? Or something entirely different." Matty began to eat her food as well before moving onto the next question.

"Scho. What about?" She quickly swallowed her food, placing a hand over her mouth for manners.

"Ahem… What about the club? How'd they get you to join?"

"Oh. They made me play a one-round match, and I would have won too if time didn't run out." Alexia leaned up against the table, placing her hand against her face.

"You're very easy to pull in, Alexia." Matty wasn't entirely pleased with how easily Alexia joined the club, but overall she seemed more cheerful.

"Well, regardless. I'll be your number one fan rooting for you. Just know that." Matty gave a brief smile before turning to eat.

"Thanks! But they put me in the captain spot. So you probably won't see me play until much late in the afternoon. That or at night."

"Oh? Well, that just means even more pressure on you to win for us." Matty reached into her pocketbook, which laid up against her chair, and took out her phone, beginning to mess around on it for the moment.

"More pressure is right. I have to give it my all. But that's only if the people before me lose their matches. Which… I doubt they will." Alexia's eyes darted towards Matty's phone. Immediately, Matty showed off a video on her screen; it was a match in another state. The entire video was a promotion for the new singularity machines. Still, it had some well-known faces in both wrestling and singularity in it.

"You never know. Even in wrestling, the unexpected can happen. Sorta.." Matty chuckled to herself after saying that, putting her phone away. "Besides, it's best to give it your all. Though, you might have trouble on a more physical level. When do the tournaments start?"

"Next month from Wednesday to Friday. It's a three-day tournament; regular matches are on Wednesday, semi-finals on Thursday, and finals are on Friday. Specifically, September 12 to the 14th." Alexia informed.

"I'll only be able to catch the Friday one, sadly. But, as I said, I'll be cheering you on from home! Oh, Right. Did you learn anything new from joining? Besides, you know what." Matty's finger pointed towards the suppressor on Alexia.

"Hmmm… Well, I know how to box now. But, I don't think that's going to be useful."

"Really?! That's awesome to me! It's going to be extremely useful; most fights tend to close up from the ones that I've seen."

"How many have you seen?"

"Ten!"

"That's not helpful."

"If you'd like, I can help you study other fighters. Besides, your petite frame might get damaged at close range even if you have learned boxing." Matty pushed up her glasses. Indeed, Alexia had a petite figure compared to Matty, who had a more heavyset build. Alexia could be considered a lightweight when attending these matches.

"It's not like I'm going to get tossed around like crazy. At the very least, I hope I don't." Alexia was now concerned about ending up with broken bones from the fights; of course, she knew that the system would heal their injuries.

"So. On to the final topic I'm concerned about." Matty began to tap her fingers gently against the table.

"Reynolds, right? He's not here today."

"Odd for a teacher to not be here in the first few days of school. Is there a big reason?"

"He might be registering us for the tournaments. The team most likely, but I'm not sure about the individuals. I recall him telling us this is around the registration point." Alexia's eyes began to glance around Matty moving a single finger in the process.

"Ah… What are you doing?" Matty, now curious about the single finger movement. For a brief moment, Matty quickly swatted something behind her head. When she moved her hand back in front, nothing was there, merely an odd sensation of heat.

"Nothing. But, teach relies on me a lot. I know from being the team's anchor." For a brief moment, Alexia looked disappointed as she continued to think. "The prize money is so far away!"

Continuing to pat the back of her head, trying to feel for that heating sensation again, Matty, now more freaked out a bit, turned her attention back onto Alexia. The cafeteria was becoming more crowded as more and more students poured into it. The aroma of food was continually flooding the noses of all inside. There were benches along with tables students could use to eat outside if they so pleased. As well, the seniors were the only ones seated down eating away. Those within the lower grades finally filed in.

"Stop thinking about the prize money!" Matty finally stopped messing with the back of her hair. "You're so bent on a single one-way ticket to success. We're about to leave this place soon anyway. Didn't your mother pick out a nice job for you down at the post office?"

"Listen here. That prize money is gonna be mine. I appreciate your overall support of me but believe me when I say this will be a piece of cake. Besides, all I have to do is apparently show off for the sponsors, and it's a one-way ticket to fame~." Alexia started to smirk this odd sense of confidence wasn't what Matty expected from her best friend. In fact, it was utterly new to her.

"A one-way ticket to embarrassing yourself. You know how scary it is, especially on the national level. Like the 'devil' or you know Mahdri."

"You know I don't watch this stuff. Also, stop saying 'devil.' This person has a name, right?"

"I don't watch it much myself, and sorry. I just don't know their name off the top of my head. But, still. Want me to show you some matches from other nations? The Chinese one was bizarre. Or are you looking for something more western? Britain's team is looking ni-" Immediately as she was about to go on, Matty was stopped by Alexia.

"Stop~! Okay. Enough, I get it. I'll do a bit of research with you before the tournaments start. You're more into this than me."

"Nonsense, my brother simply watches a lot of singularity on Friday nights. You have to admit it's both scary and awe-inspiring what those people can do." After Matty was done speaking, Alexia continued to tap her fingers along the table, patiently thinking.

"Hm… I'll take your offer to help, by the way."

"Oh, right, through research?"

"You're gonna help me find out about these players. Or at least any useful information for my fights!"

"That's going to be a tough task. We're not even sure who you're going up against. Let alone if any of the schools and players we help you research face you." A calming yet pain-staking expression was now laid bare on Matty's face. A sign that she was becoming annoyed despite still having a friendly presence.

"Don't be like that. I'll even split the prize money with you."

"Now you're just pandering." An exhausted sigh escaped Matty before she gave a brief smile.

"Fine. I'll help you with your research… Besides, this gives me a chance to hang out with you again. At least, we'll be doing something productive this time."

"Hey, that little experiment of ours worked out fine."

"We made acid water. Not something to boast about for a school project."

The two of them continued their little conversation until the lunch period was over. A moment of peace was bestowed upon Alexia when she talked with Matty. Yet, this moment of calm wouldn't occur for everyone.

Back at the stadium, those attending the exhibition match would be in shock & awe of what they had witnessed. Reynolds only had his eyes squinted to see what was going on. Blood was leaking from the machine as the two medics from the foundation rushed to heal seven severely injured individuals. The agonizing screams coming from these fighters were unbearable for Angela to hear as she dropped to the floor, holding her head. One opponent seemed to have had his leg cut off entirely as one of the medics quickly rushed to put it back in place. These medics specialized in healing powers highly proficient in their ability. The other three were more bruised with burn marks around them. The fighter whose leg was cut off fainted from the pain, yet this allowed one of the medics to place it back in its usual spot. A bright green light coming from the surgeon's hands began to seal it again in place, healing the grievous injury.

Cheveyo's eyes were widened along with Angela's. They couldn't quite believe how chaotic the exhibition got. Quinn had a stoic expression; his eyes solely focused onto East Bridge, who both came out unscathed from the match.

"Looks like I'm the captain now." Gabby looked at her, rapier the tip dripping with blood. Swiping the blade against the air, the blood flung off onto the nearby grass.

"Damn it! Uh… I mean. Congratulations, Captain!" Daniel was disgruntled about not making the captain spot.

"Good… Now I don't have to push myself until the nationals." Gabby thought to herself before turning around to the other fighters being healed. "Thank you for the opportunity." Her body was now beginning to shake, a cold sweat beating down her face. This was an odd match.

Most of their injuries weren't fatal since the medics were there to heal them up. Though, this exhibition match in itself was crazy. Having the safety off can potentially kill someone if the machine didn't eject them in time. It was amazing to think such a sport could even be considered 'revolutionary.' Matches like these weren't rare, but to have them with a high school no-less was an oddity.

"Aye! Indeed! A valiant effort, We commend you!" Unlike Gabby, who was too shaken up. Daniel gave a bow of respect to the other fighters. Of course, he also had a cold sweat coming down his cheek.

Quinn stopped focusing on East Bridge and glanced back over to Angela, who was freaking out over the gruesome injury. Lowering himself to face her, he brushed his hands up against her cheek and gave a generous smile.

"Do not be shaken by this act, Dear Angela. For their souls are being steeled through this trial. Cast aside your anxiety and place it on me." An air of serenity and peace was now cast upon Quinn and Angela. Angela looked towards Quinn feeling a steady calmness. Tears would be rushing down her face before they were wiped away by Quinn's hand.

"Oh, deary. We might be in trouble." Lennox remarked while the other two stood up. Angela turned to look at Lennox.

"No! We still have, Mary! I know Mary can beat them. She can beat them all!" Angela's ferocity was unleashed for a moment, her voice almost heard from below.

"Relax." Quinn placed his hand on her shoulder. "Indeed, but for now, we will give Mary time to grow. We're done here, shall we go, Sir Lennox?"

"Oh, deary. Let's." Saint Mary's Academy departed shortly after.

Reynolds stood up from his seat and tapped Cheveyo on the head.

"Come on. Sorry, you had to see that."

"N-No. It's all fine, Teach. Just...Which one of us is going to go up against that?" Cheveyo's concern was there, but he wasn't as shaken as the rest in the stadium. A firm resolve in his eyes, he'd slay the lion if he had to do it.

"We aren't changing the positions. So Deveron most likely will face her if she's in the vice-captain position like last year. If not… Well… I have faith." Reynolds gave a brilliant smile then proceeded towards the exits.

"I'll commend Alexia for having a remarkably unique singularity, but against those more experienced, it's going to prove diffi-" Cheveyo followed Reynolds but was cut short by him.

"Well, just have faith in her if things end up down that path."

"Y...Yes, sir."

Starlight Academy departed from the stadium that day. The odd exhibition match was over, and the questions raised about it would soon fade over the month. With the pieces finally set and them falling into place, the regionals were finally upon America.

4