Chapter 25 – Urban Slog
194 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With the match underway and the students of each respective team headed back to their room. Alexia decided to take a bit of a detour since her match wouldn’t be till later in the evening, or it would never come if her team made it through quickly. Separating from Heidi — Alexia went down another corridor, which was sparsely filled with people jotted about. Two of which stood out to her the most, one being Campbell in his trench coat and Maria, who was far below his height. To which Campbell had to slightly stoop down to speak with her. Just as Alexia tried to turn back around not wanting to deal with that, Maria pointed her out to Campbell and, in three seconds, moved, grabbing ahold of Alexia’s arm.

“There you are! This is her!” Maria pointed towards Alexia, looking back at Campbell.

“Maria? Could you please let me go, I really don’t want to talk right now.” Alexia’s expression being more annoyed than pleased when encountering Maria. Only for Campbell to interject into the conversation as he approached.

“I’m sure you’d enjoy speaking at the prospect of monetary gain, yes?” Campbell reached into his trench coat, pulling out his datapad from yesterday. “Alexandria Winchester and Maria Sutton. Captains of their respective teams and upcoming fighters in popularity. I’m glad I found one, and it led to the other.”

Alexia’s mood wasn’t entirely soured by Maria. It was merely their attitude from yesterday demanding more fights later that she thought it would become a slugfest. Both of their abilities would keep adapting to one another; however, the prospect of hearing about monetary gain lightened up her mood. To earn more money on her way to the top would ease the pains on her family before she moved out of the house so much, so her attention on Campbell turned into a bright smile.

“Money? How much are we talking?”

“I see that caught your attention. While I can’t sponsor you, I’d like to offer you two juniors an opportunity to test yourselves against a new combat situation.”

“Hold it! You said you’d sponsor me.” Maria grinned a bit displeased. Campbell smiled and merely brushed the thought past him.

“Yes, Yes, We all love the sponsors, but this will give you both greater opportunities for the future. Shall I register you both for the trial runs?”

“Wait, who even are you?” Alexia looked up at Campbell, honestly confused. To Campbell's shock, it actually hit a nerve of his to hear someone in this field has never heard of him, then again. This was the first time he’s seen someone like Alexia.

Taking a brief moment to compose himself, Campbell reached into his pocket, taking out his ID. “I am Giles Campbell. Part of the Science division of the Singularity Foundation. Though, I’m more well known for my robotics. The trial run I suggest will be either of you together or alone against one of my newest models.”

For a moment, Maria and Alexia looked at each other a bit baffled. However, Maria seemed rather distasteful at the thought of beating up a robot. On the other hand, Alexia merely thought of how much money she’d be paid in the process.

“Doesn’t sound fun.” Maria replied.

“I assure you both, you will be safe during the testing with the latest machine to fight in safety always on. I’m also willing to pay you for your services in providing data to the foundation.”

“Should I even ask, why us?” Alexia responded.

“Because out of all the matches in this poor state. The two of you fighting was remarkable. On the level of nationals! I’m sure my employer would love to see you two shine.” Campbell leaned close to Alexia specifically.

“And, if your team wins the tournament. I’ll be willing to sponsor you at the nationals.” Campbell was hitting all the right cords with Alexia. At the end of the day, Alexia’s main goal was to earn money and provide a secure income source. Albeit, her way of achieving it ended up needing to claim the prize at the nationals, but being sponsored was even better. While a local gig would be more modest and natural, aiming for the top in the world of singularity provided absurd amounts of money if a team or individual did well.

“You have my approval!” Alexia quickly accepted, which surprised Maria, who also didn’t want to miss out on fighting with or against her again.

“Sign me up also!”

With the clap of both hands, Campbell was pleased with the situation of both fighters accepting. Bringing his datapad closer, he’d show the two of them a waiver with paragraphs of words scrolling down to the very end. “Sign at the bottom, please.”

Maria didn’t think much of it and signed it immediately. Alexia had to take a moment to glance over the rest of the waiver. You can never be too sure; once done, she signed it also. With that, Campbell took the datapad away before his attention looked elsewhere.

“I will notify your schools and both of your advisors. Lennox and...Reynolds right? You may bring them and another team member along. No more than one.” With that, Campbell adjusted his trench coat and scurried off, no longer needing the two fighters.

“Heh… He’s a weird one, isn’t he, Alexi~?” Maria slightly jabbed Alexia’s Side.

“I wouldn’t call him weird when comparing it to us or anyone else we know. Why aren’t you interested in it? Don’t you want the extra cash?”

“Cash? The money won’t satisfy me long enough, but I am interested. His robots tend to get scrapped easily, though from what I heard.” Maria’s expression changed, also becoming that of a cunning swindler as if beckoning Alexia onward. “That and I heard East Bridge’s star fighter scrapped his last one. If he didn’t sponsor her, she’d be in debt by a billion.”

Maria’s words didn’t make the cut, robotics became a growing industry more than a decade ago. But it still baffled Alexia to the point she forgot they cost a ton. Though, this was the first time hearing about robotics interacting with singularity officially outside of rumors.

“He’s practically paying us to trash his machines. It’ll be fun… Hopefully. Apart from that, heading back to your team?” Maria glanced towards Alexia.

“Yeah, until I ran into you two. Not like I’ll be fighting today anyway. It depends on what happens.”

“Today is the day of fortune for you. I was meant to kick East Bridge from their spot, so you and your team have to do it for me. You’ll be fighting for sure! If you don’t, then your team won’t make it. Though, your team has weak-links the same as mine.” Maria gestured towards their teammates, losing their respective matches.

“I know what you’re saying, but I don’t think they’re weak-links… Though, when they do win. They win spectacularly. More so than me.”

“Regardless, they’re gonna need to get better or at least on our level if you’re looking to win the nationals.” Maria then paused for a moment, placing a finger to her lip, trying to think. “Perhaps, I'm overthinking things.”

“Perhaps, you shouldn’t comment on people you don’t know.”

“Touche. But I assure you. You’ll be fighting Gabriel. I don’t think she wants to miss the chance to fight before the nationals. Unless her team has flawless victories. You never know.”

“I don’t think my teacher would let us down if we didn’t get at least one win. Especially after yesterday. Anywho, I have to be off. Take care, Mary.” With that, Alexia nodded her head to Maria and headed off.

Maria rolling up her long sleeves, took a moment to watch Alexia walking away. A chill oozing down her spine the very second they walked past each other. It seemed Alexia was getting stronger even if unconsciously. For a brief moment, Maria peered at Alexia’s suppressor. Black as coal and looking more advanced than even her own suppressors, never noticed it before their match, she did take note that it showed readings of measurements. Sadly, it was hard to pinpoint what it was by the time Alexia left.

All Maria could do was wonder where she got such a suppressor from. Only to have her train of thought interrupted by the subtle vibration of energy coming from the stadium.

Within the realm of the fight, the battle taking hold in the city escalated to the point. A skyscraper broke on its bottom side tilting into another building, which held it upward above the street. Each step Daniel took caused a tremor of energy to shake the ground.

Losing balance as well as being on the losing side of the fight, Roy caught himself only to have a fist go colliding against his stomach. It did not send him flying to his surprise, was he getting used to the combat now?

“Show more spirit! Think with your head instead of your body. You won’t be able to maintain your current state like that.” Daniel kicked Roy in the side, forcing him to lose feeling in his lower half for a moment only to drop to the ground.

He picked Roy up by the arms, only to begin swinging him around and around. Gusts of wind collectively gathering together morphing into a small surface whirlwind. Only for Roy to be released, tossed up into another skyscraper. Breaking through the windows and landing on an office desk.

“Urgh...Easy to say when you’re not getting thrown around like a rag-doll.” At this point in time, Roy knew both of their powers were the same. Though Daniel was far more experienced with his, it didn’t surprise Roy one bit after the first hit. “Smarter, huh?” Taking a quick glance around the office before moving through the building.

Daniel smacked his fists together, bulking up in front of the building he tossed Roy into. “Let’s end this!” An intense amount of heat started to extrude from his body, causing the surrounding pavement to melt away. Flames burst around his slick hair blending in gently along with flames ejecting from his elbows.

“[HOWL!]” Daniel’s body phased out of reality, his arm was first to go missing or instead look as if it fell off. The rest of his body started to dematerialize only for the aftershock to kick up, causing the buildings behind him to break apart collapsing. His body manifested back on the other side of Roy’s building. A trail of flames leading from his last position with the many broken walls.

Then, it happened — The building Roy was in collapsed, missing all of it’s lower supports as it came crashing into the ground, dust and rubble kicking up into the city streets.

“A spectacular move from the vanguard of East Bridge! Showing us his power and skill in breaking buildings, Daniel knows how to rile up the crowd!!!” Joel shouted from his microphone while Pearl, at this point, finished up the last of her coffee. The crowd's cheers from outside erupted around the stadium.

The clicking and clacking coming from the gaming device Tommy used became louder. The more focused he became with it. His attention was purely occupied on his game instead of the match itself.

“That should have ended it.” Vincent leaned back in his chair, observing the match. “Is Daniel toying with the poor boy?”

“I wouldn’t put it past him, after all. He’s facing someone with similar powers to his own. Maybe he’s teaching him.” Gabby wasn’t focused on the match either; instead, her primary attention was inside the fridge rummaging through an assortment of drinks wondering which one she’d take.

“Teaching? How on earth could he be doing that? He has a match to win!”

“Ease up there, Vinny.” Gabby took out a cherry soda popping it open and drinking it down before continuing to speak. “Maybe, he knows he’s going to win and just wanted to help improve his opponent.”

“That’s insane logic.”

“Not really, what better way to help someone than beating them till they get better.” Tommy cut into the topic at hand, continuing to play his game.

“This isn't a game.”

“I’m pretty sure it is, Vince.” Tommy’s game emitted a victory chant. He just completed a level and now onto the next.

“Either way, Relax.” Gabby walked over to Vincent, wrapping one of her arms around his shoulder. “No matter the case, Daniel clearly is up to something. Not like you can barge in on his match to tell him to stop.” With that, she took a sip of her drink, watching the match display. Vincent couldn’t quite understand the laid back nature of his team despite being part of it for a year now. As for Caitlin, she was too making motions in the air practicing as if she started shooting a bow and arrow.

With the dust settling around Daniel, his flames faded away — The damage done had affected nearby roads and shops. Waving his hand to clear the dust, Daniel wondered if Roy even made it through it. If not, the game would be ending in a matter of seconds.

“AAAAAAAAALRIGHT!!!” Letting his own ego get to himself, He started to pose. Flames bursting from his body.

“Another victory underneath my bel-” His words were cut short by the appearance of Roy in front of him. Roy’s body slimmer, more toned, muscles to fit with blood trickling down his face and a fist ready to impact. Daniel could only smile at his opponent as if expecting this only to open his arms out, and he wanted the fist to hit.

And hit, Roy did — His fist connecting into Daniel's gut, his muscles expanding and the force knocking Daniel through the city streets before finally colliding into a bank. This did not stop his assault, Roy picked up the rubble from the downed building ranging from concrete to steel beams chucking them with tremendous force towards the bank.

Flames erupted from the bank-breaking through all the windows before one of the steel beams launched inside was kindly given back to Roy at an even faster velocity.

“Urgh!” Roy attempted to catch the steel beam back upon doing so his body slid back into a broken wall. “TAKE IT BACK!” Veins appearing around his arms he threw it back at the bank even faster than before.

Daniel broke out of the ruined bank's entrance, flames flaring off his body. He caught the steel beam again, launching it back this time. What followed was a rapid succession of the two throwing it back and forth with it rapidly accelerating until the two came face-to-face, forcing the beam against each other.

A tug of war commenced from the two — The ground proceeded to split open cracks appearing in the streets and along with the nearby buildings from the pressure that bounced off them.

“I’ll admit it! I’m impressed, but the games end here!” Daniel gripped harder on the steel only for it to be engulfed in ablaze. Roy quickly took his hands off it due to the burning sensation only to be whacked against his side by the steel beam.

“[DYNAMIC!] Daniel immediately stopped himself from calling out a random move only to swiftly kick Roy through the broken walls behind him and back into the rubble.

“Ahem! I apologize, I caught myself! HAHAHA!!! I almost forgot this was a tournament match. I’ll save the dramatics for the nationals.” This time, flames proceeded to swell into his right fist. The wind picked up, and the pressure he distributed onto the area intensified.

“[HEAT GEYSER!]" Throwing the gathering flames towards Roy. The flames emitting from his palm engulfed the entire street. Daniel smirked clearly knowing what he just said was now a lie.

“But! Also, you’ve earned this much!”

The flames continued to erupt for 15 seconds any longer, and Roy would be cooked alive if the safety was entirely off. When the attack was over, he’d look on to the scorched street with burnt rubble all around.

The sound of stones being pushed caught Daniel's attention only for him to be caught off guard with a large stone wall hitting him dead on. Roy had hidden behind it and kicked it back at Daniel.

Upon impact, Daniel staggered before holding his ground being met with a fist to his face by Roy. Giving one back himself before the two entered into a fistfight clashing against one another. The match had become a slog-fest with neither fighter budging an inch.

Pearl couldn’t believe her eyes at how bad the fight had become — At least to her, this fight was a mess, save for the crowd cheering it on who had opposite opinions to her own. Pearl wanted to drink more coffee, but instead, she had her servant Milton fill up another cup. However, time was fading from the match; the fights now had a 1-hour time limit more than enough to slug it out, but with the way these wrestling styled fighters go about their fights, it was bound to end quickly.

[ROYAL SUPLEX!] Roy shouted, attempting to grab hold of Daniel and suplex him. However, Daniel’s body became more substantial in the process despite bulking up more himself. Daniel, on the other hand, was confused as to why it was royal.

“Very well, I shall return in kind~!” Gripping hold of Roy, flames engulfing the two of them. Without even showcasing his move’s name, Daniel reverse suplexed Roy as flames scattered across the street. The force from the suplex knocks Roy out of the system and back into reality.

“[Winner, East Bridge!]”

Without realizing it, Daniel had returned to reality as well. The crowd cheered at the two fighters; he was disappointed it ended like that, but he still wanted to show off more.

“OOOOH YEAH!!!” Daniel proceeded to pose for the crowd among their cheers.

“Urgh…” Deveron wasn’t pleased with what he just saw. It was literally two Roy’s going at each other; only one was more reliable than the other. Clearly, something needed to be done if they made it to the nationals with him. “So much for wowing the crowd.”

“Don’t be like that.” Cheveyo proceeded to stand up.

“Yeah, Yeah.”

“I’ll go get him and win us the next one.”

“Oh! If you run into Alexia, tell her to hurry back also.” Heidi added in.

“We should put a leash on her so she won't get lost easily.” With that, Cheveyo made his way out of the room and down to the stadium. On the opposite end, Caitlin moved over towards Tommy, picking up his gaming device from his hand.

“Hey! I was almost done!”

“You’re done now. Time’s up, you’re next.” Caitlin replied.

“Oh?” Tommy quickly adjusted his uniform, ignoring his device, and headed off. “I’ll be back with a win. Keep my game safe for me~.”

Gabby simply waved goodbye to him, he was quick to leave not even having second thoughts. Who knows, maybe Starlight will surprise her or East Bridge was on the way to another victory.

Regardless, she couldn’t stop what would happen even if eager to fight.

“Hmm. Maybe I shouldn’t have traded spots.” It was already too late for Gabby to change her mind now though, the damage had been done.

6