Chapter 27 – Trains Running Late
159 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Indeed, When Vincent returned back into the room, he was met with smoking cloth, his uniform a bit tattered only exhaustion extruding from him. Having lost his match against what seemed to be the tournament favorite, Deveron Mosely. The sun started setting on the final evening for the tournament, and the stage was set for the finals.

“Urgh…” Vincent slowly moved over to the couch and sat down next to Caitlin. She finally recovered thanks to the foundation medics.

“So. Had fun?” Gabby once more asked Vincent.

“...Getting hit back with the same force I laid out isn’t fun…”

“Sounds like fun to me. Heh… You got to fight the star of the tournament. In front of more people than any match before yours.”

“Look if you’re trying to make me feel bad. It’s not working. Besides, that Deveron is no star. The real one is in front of me right now.”

“Flattery will get you nowhere, besides. It allows me to show you how it’s done.”

“Go get ‘em, Gabby!” Daniel raised his voice, interrupting Vincent from speaking who followed up after.

“Yes, I have no doubts in your abilities.” Vincent slouched over exhausted. As for Gabriel, she tightened the bandages around her arms, grabbed a nearby suitcase similar to Caitlin’s slinging it over her shoulders.

The moment finally arrived for the finals of the state tournament. The victor here would represent Idaho in the nationals, winner takes all in the final bout for the night. On the other side of the arena, Alexia stood up after witnessing the arguably one-sided match with Deveron. Though, maybe it was unfair for his opponents not knowing his ability. That or being too cautious about said ability that they become crippled by it.

“So I'll be the one to say it. Try not to lose, please.” Cheveyo looked to Alexia seriously on this comment, it was the first time he whole-heartedly pleaded with her in a way to make her do better.

It was a necessary attempt of concern, but Alexia understood his feelings on them getting this far and having to rely on the end of their ropes. An uncommon ending for a tournament with two captains going at it. A highlight nonetheless for the media to take hold of.

“I learned a few things from my last match. I promise I won’t throw the fight.”

“Don’t say it like that either, you’re fighting the lion.”

“Lion? Oh right, you mentioned East Bridge was like animals.”

“What we fought were cubs. You’re fighting the main course.” Cheveyo voiced a bit of scorn when the word cub came from his voice. As if it was someone else speaking for him only in a deeper tone.

“... That really doesn’t help. Then what did we fight yesterday?”

“Cardinals.” As if he was portraying a joke right there, Cheveyo almost snickered to himself before his hand covered the mouth. Raising his free hand, he motioned for Alexia to leave now.

“The team?” Roy glanced over, sitting next to a sleeping Heidi.

“No, he means the bird.” Reynolds butted into the conversation before catching Alexia’s attention to keep her focused on the match ahead. “Anywho, Alexia. We’ve gotten this far thanks to you for sticking to it at the very end. One more match and we’ll be on the road to the nationals. Where you all can truly shine.” While Reynolds gave a little speech, he did hesitate a bit upon ending, knowing they’d need more training before they could even consider fighting on a national level overall.

Cheveyo moved his hand away from covering his mouth and began to speak. “Don’t feel intimidated by the lion. Patience shall guide you, Little Star..” Clearly, this wasn’t Cheveyo speaking but something else. Alexia’s eyes diverted onto him, seeing bluish energy wrapped around his body. On top of his head was an owl, transparent and gazing into her soul. The energy she felt from this owl was distorted and warped, but it showed no malicious intent.

Reynolds couldn’t see any type of energy and just jotted it down to Cheveyo merely wanting to help, Roy was more focused on Heidi sleeping than the conversation.

Alexia took this as a sign to leave, while the owl on top of his head made her a bit nervous, she’d take it as a sign of good faith. It did just warn her, after all.

“Well. I’m off.” Alexia exited the room heading down to the stadium. After she left, the owl vanished, and its energy no longer had control over Cheveyo. He sat there, horrified with what the owl might have done.

“I apologize, Teach. But… I might have just cursed, Alexia… Maybe. I’m not sure yet.”

“Is that something your singularity can do?”

“It’s rare, but it can happen… Yes.”

“To me, it seemed like you gave her some good faith.”

“I..Is that so?” Cheveyo clenched his chest, hesitant at what just occurred. Hopefully, it was in good faith and far from the bad omen he believes it to be.

Alexia made her way down the hall from a distance seeing Deveron approach. The two didn’t speak much nor have any interesting interaction upon passing by. He didn’t have radiation leaking off him like yesterday, so that was a plus for Alexia.

“Good luck out there.” Deveron finally spoke after they passed each other. With a simple wave of goodbye as well.

“I will!” Though, she couldn’t entirely return any hand gesture since he was already on his way back to the room.

“WELCOME BACK VIEWERS AROUND THE WORLD! We’re down to the captain’s match for the finals for the Idaho State Championship!” Joel’s voice rang out across the stadium. The sound of the crowd's roar from outside the closed double doors made butterflies move around inside Alexia. They’d quickly go away knowing she might have a few fans up there and sponsors watching.

“Yes, this time, we’re expecting a show that will dazzle everyone’s amusement.” Pearl finished speaking and took a sip from a cup of hot tea next to her. On the side were a few empty boxes of pizza she and Joel consumed during the breaks.

“She’s the talk of the town and the upset of many folk’s fantasy teams! Starlights one and only captain that keeps their ship stationed! INTRODUCING! Alexandria Winchester~!” The double doors opened up as the crowd roared and cheered for Alexia, making her way out onto the glamorous red carpet before taking her first steps properly onto the singularity machine.

“Alas, her opponent is no slouch. Ranked 8th on the national school boards for overall performance, the dark horse of last year's tournament, which decimated the likes of Mammoth and Saint Mary. Introducing, Madam Gabriel Harper!” Pearl introduced someone to the stage this time, which leading up to this point was rare on occasion. On the sidelines, Quinn felt annoyed that a pro-fighter had to rub it in on his school's position last year.

“Wait...8th?” Alexia now seemed concerned about not doing proper research beforehand. From the double doors across, Gabby made her debut to the scene with a much more eminent uproar from the crowd than Alexia.

Lyn approached Gabby from the side to inspect her suitcase. Revealing the very same rapier, she used to displace someone's limb a month prior. After a few glances and taps from Lyn, she handed the weapon back to Gabby. Clearly, the two knew each other, though Lyn pretended Gabby was no one of her concern except a fighter participating.

“Heh… Alright, Lyn. Still the same stoic woman. I’m amazed you’re still singl-” Gabby was given a death glare from Lyn, which resulted in Gabby halting her comment. “I mean, I’m amazed such a beautiful woman is committed to her work, you deserve a promotion!” Though, this didn’t make Lyn speak much.

“Uh. I’ll just leave the comments to myself.” Gabby walked onto the machine, looking towards Alexia, who admittedly was shorter than her. “Best of luck.” Giving a smile to Alexia as the machine began to kick into the gear lighting the panels up.

“Likewise…” To say Alexia was unnerved at the taller and more muscular toned wasn’t a stretch, even the weapon she used might be sharper than an actual blade. Sadly, this wasn’t a time for Alexia to back down now, tightening her special gloves. Energy proceeded to generate into her hand. Their suppressors detached themselves, and the two were warped back into the badly damaged city. The same one as their teammates had rampaged through, with skyscrapers still half-broken against each other, debris scattered across the empty streets, fires burning in the distance from the previous match, and the same of a train approaching from a distance in the air. Alexia materialized in a train station that had been opened up potentially by one of Caitlin’s heaven arrows. The sun began to set onto the stage as night-time slowly crept its head from a distance.

Without any hesitation, the energy Alexia had gathered finally culminated. Throwing a small orb of light above her, it rose past the skyscrapers high into the sky, moving past the clouds only to vanish without any trace.

Whatever she did caught Gabby’s attention, though they waited for a good two minutes to see what Alexia did. Seeing if it had any impact, it did not. A dud? She thought to herself, keeping a mental note of the light that transferred into the sky.

After launching the energy up into the sky, Alexia let out an exhausted exhale of air only to gasp it back up moments later. Not even five minutes into the match and her energy was drained, Alexia took a moment to recover it before encountering Gabby.

The horns of a train rang out once more, this time coming closer. The station as a whole expanded a few blocks within the city, housing a total of 10 tracks leading both ways. Alexia stood right in the middle, feeling the vibrations from the railings. A train approached fast, but not quick enough for Gabby to pinpoint her location, dropping down from the hole in the station's ceiling and landing behind Alexia.

Gabby tightened her bandages, gripping her rapier before slowly walking to Alexia. Merely walking without even a sign of attacking, Alexia readied herself fists raised only to throw them at Gabby.

Her fists connected onto Gabby’s body only for them to pass through. Alexia amazed at what just occurred only to bring her fists back in attempting to jab at Gabby’s body once more. Yet again, her fists passed through the body.

“Heh. Good attempt.” Without even raising her weapon, Gabby punched Alexia, the single force that slung Alexia deeper into the station. After hitting the rail hard against her back, Alexia gritted her teeth, feeling the track's vibrations get steadily faster.

Gabby stood there, continuing to adjust her bandage after that punch. It seemed to have come loose quite easily as for Alexia, she quickly moved out of the way and onto another track. Narrowly missing an incoming bullet train that whizzed past both of them in a matter of seconds.

With the bandages tightened adequately around her arms, Gabby gave Alexia a generous smile with a second bullet train whizzing past both of them this time on the far-left. “Nice and tight~. Let’s have fun.” With her smile turning into a smirk, Gabriel went on the offensive.

The two quickly exchanged a brawl in which Alexia could not connect a single hit each time her fists moved through Gabby just like before. However, she quickly caught onto this, and opted for another strategy, though this could get either of them eliminated immediately.

After all, stage hazards were always a threat. Alexia raised her hand into the air, a chilling breeze brushing past Gabby. “Hm?” Gabriel was interested in where this was going but only began to pace herself towards Alexia before making a quick dash.

A dozen shards of ice materialized above Alexia before being launched at high speeds only for most to miss their target. At the same time, the rest were sliced in half by Gabby’s rapier. Alexia was kicked towards the left onto another track, the sound of a train rapidly approaching. Instincts adjusting to the situation before her body forced itself to move onto the next lane over.

Another bullet train whizzed past separating the two fighters for approximately five seconds. The speed of the train was at least hitting past 600 km/h. After it passed, Gabby walked forward onto the same track only to have another bullet train ram into her.

“Did she just throw the match!?” Alexia couldn’t quite believe what she saw, knowing fully that both of them could feel the vibrations of the tracks.

The train whizzed past only to reveal Gabby nowhere in sight. Hands wrapped around Alexia’s ankles, forcing her to remain in the middle of the tracks. “W-What?! Let go!” attempting to break free, but to no avail. The tracks rumbled, signaling an approaching train.

Frantically, Alexia began to fear for her life. She never imagined the possibility of getting hit by a train, one going insanely fast no less, but the window of opportunity was short and the chances to escape slim. She lowered herself down and touched the other hand once more, a chilling breeze brushing past the area. A slivering chill oozed down to the hands, forcing them to let go due to the sheer coldness.

Alexia jumped up just in time for the bullet train to pass over only to land on it seconds later. The train started to slow down from its max speed, keeping a steady and fast pace with Alexia holding on for her life.

Gabby rose from the tracks before concentrating, allowing her rapier to spring up from the ground. “Sheesh… Could have ended it there. This one's a bit clever.” Shaking off her hands due to how unbelievable cold they became at that moment.

Gabriel was not in a mood to lose; however, this match started to get fun for her. With the match progressing steadily like this, sooner or later, Alexia will falter. “Switchin' to plan B~!” Upon picking up their weapon, Gabby looked in the direction Alexia went with the train. With the right trajectory, she could fling herself easily towards her opponent.

Pacing back and forth on the tracks, Gabby waited for the right time. Before long, a bullet train hurtled its way towards her, using the train as support their body phased through collecting the energy inside only to alter its flow.

Propelling out of the train as a human bullet, Gabby passed through signs, and walls hurtling towards Alexia. Standing on her feet on top of the train, Alexia managed to keep her footing with the train's speed slowing down to a bearable level.

Immediately, her attention turned to something approaching from behind. Her senses heightened for a moment, Alexia barely dodging Gabriel’s rapier with it grazing the side of her cheek. On the other hand, Gabby could not control herself that well after being propelled and moving through objects, thus a weakness with her singularity of intangibility.

Blood trickled down Alexia’s cheek while the pain seared a bit, Alexia took this opportunity to attack. Once more, sending shards of ice towards Gabby only for all of them to pass through her body.

Gabby landed on top of the train as it made its way through the destroyed city. Nearby power lines as they passed by only narrowly touching the tracks. The two engaged each other on top of the train as it entered the deeper parts of the city, in the distance buildings caught in a blaze only for the rising smoke to fill the sky, closing in on dusk.

Air swirled around the tip of Gabby’s rapier, propelling the blade forward, extending its attacks onto Alexia. She dodged with extreme precision, each succession of attacks increasing by the second—Fencer vs. Boxer. To the audience viewing the match, all they could discern were the dances of the two fighters marching in a blur.

Joel himself couldn’t keep up that his commentation started grinding to a halt, this type of movement didn’t suit him. Pearl, as per usual, kept up fine with the action, so much so that she took charge of the commentary.

Unfortunately, Pearl paused, wincing at the sight of Alexia getting clotheslined by Gabby, knocking her into one of the fiery streets. Gabby jumped off the train, rushing at Alexia — Swift wind blowing past Alexia’s face. Another cut formed before she used her own hand to deflect the rapier's blade.

Hands covered in a hardened metal nearly chipping the tip of Gabby’s blade.

“How bizarre...Metal now?” Gabriel took a glance at her weapon only to toss it high into the air towards Alexia. Immediately followed up after with a charge — fists swinging. On the other hand, Alexia took the bait watching the weapon be thrown her way only to be smacked right in the face.

Balance lost — Vision hazy and pain searing its way across. Alexia gritted her teeth, throwing a punch only to be kicked in the side. Her body collided with a burning building. Gabby caught their weapon, gently motioning their hands across its blade, causing a harsh wind to wrap itself around the edge.

Flames swirled inside the building only to have a dozen flame balls fly out the broken window at Gabby to have them easily swiped in the air. Fires continued to pour out of the building encroaching upon Gabriel's reach. It wasn't dying out as if an endless source continued to fuel it. A single hoist of the rapier wind gathered together, taking the flames swirling them upward into the starry sky, expelling them high into the clouds. Gabby’s attention was finally set on Alexia. She held onto one of the building's supports to avoid getting caught up with the flames.

Dusk finally arrived, and night dawned upon the city. Only the light of flames and haywire electricity visible from above. The finals entered into its 2nd stage — Gabriel preparing to attack once more and Alexia on the defensive.

3