Chapter 38 – Dynamic Roy
129 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The official start of the nationals finally commenced the next day. Making their way back to the building, the pressure Deveron and Alexia sensed prior happened to be even greater than before. While Deveron always played it off jokingly, a part of him did feel worried.

“Oi. Don’t start getting cold feet now.” His eyes darted to Roy and Alexia. Both of which were shaking for two entirely different reasons.

“It’s not cold feet, okay! I’m just… Anxious is all.” Roy continued marching ahead of Deveron.

“That’s a first. And here I thought you were always hot-blooded charging ahead. I guess people can change if you shake them hard enough. Ha ha~!”

“You’re one to talk, Dev. Besides, I think Roy will do fine. Keep it up, Roy~! You got this!” Heidi brushed past Deveron catching up to Roy. Alexia was in her own little world, her body shaking more-so from the cold instead of anxiety.

Cheveyo tapped Deveron on the shoulder. “She’s right, you know. I guess the regionals shook you also.”

“As if.” Deveron scoffed at the fact.

“You say that, but clearly, you’re more trusting of us now than before. Don’t think too hard on it, and let's just get that prize money.”

“Hmph. Yeah, Yeah.”

The team made it to their room, specially made for them. It looked similar to the one the regionals gave them, except no indoor kitchen for their own purposes. Comfy couches, chairs, and tables are sorted around a flat-screen T.V. along with various interfaces near the entrance to call for anything.

“Wow, they’ve really improved this place since last time.” Reynold’s surveyed the room, ready to relax and let the team do the rest.

“Last time?” Deveron caught on.

“Heh, you should know this isn’t my first time in this building. I’ve been here multiple times in the past. Though, this one’s new.”

“Uh-huh… You’re gonna need to explain your story to me soon, Teach. In fact, after we win~!”

“It’s not an interesting story to tell. Unless you like standard procedures. Either way, sure, go and win, then I'll take a moment to inform you all.”

Deveron nodded his head; it was honestly a mystery having a teacher like Reynolds who seemed to have ties everywhere teach at a no-name school. Yet,him and Cheveyo could hardly find anything on his credentials. Just like Alexia — He came out of nowhere. Not to mention his connections with shady involvements — Something they’ve all ignored up to this point. Even Alexia took note of it. Every high official person that either has a connection to singularity knew of Reynolds, who to them just seemed like an ordinary teacher.

It would be a few seconds of silence as everyone stared at Reynolds. Grasping hold of his hair, ruffling it a bit, it seemed his students really wanted to know more about him. Cheveyo and Deveron are always trying to find dirt on him in some form — All Reynolds could do was smile.

“Okay, Okay. Well, for now. You all focus on winning. When the time comes, we can have a long conversation.” Just then, the intercom turned on throughout the building announcing the starting sides to commence.

“Would Vanguards for Side A and B head to their designated match rooms.” Just like that, the intercom turned off.

Roy finally stood up, still anxious but prepared to finally show the nation what he was made of! “Excellent timing, Roy! Go knock 'em dead...Well, knock 'em unconscious.” Reynolds gave his seal of approval.

Without saying much to the rest of the team, Roy walked out, heading towards one of the fighting rooms. “Will he be alright?” Alexia asked.

“Of course~. Just leave it to Roy. Those that go first are often the strongest~!” Heidi replied.

“Strongest...Sure.” Deveron let out a sigh; whatever was up with Roy, he’d only hope it would fix itself quickly.

The team turned on the T.V. as the tournament commentators started to introduce one was dressed fashionably similar to Joel in the regionals. It was a normal human woman who didn’t really stand out much, yet instead of another announcer working with them. There was another professional fighter, but an odd choice for an announcer, likely due to being understaffed. Pearl Schneider’s duo partner — Paige Braun — was there beside the woman drawing things on a small drawing board they carry around with a marker. There were a multitude of announcers broadcasting different sections of the tournament. Starlight just so happened to have this odd combination.

“Beginning one of the first matches of Side B. We have Starlight Academy VS Springfield Technical School! In the vanguard position of Starlight, we have Roy Brooks! A newcomer school to the national tournaments, they’ll be pitted against Springfield Tech’s very own vanguard! Ruby Porter! Madam Paige, what do you think will happen?” The announcer known as Livia turned towards Paige.

“...” With a quick sway of the hand, Paige brought up her drawing board. She showed it to the cameras. The words “Fight!” written on it, with some rather cutely stylized animals fighting each other on the side.

“An excellent choice of words from our most wondrous, Madam Paige!!!” Livia immediately started to cheer for the pro-fighter. Clearly a hard-core fan of sorts.

By the time Roy arrived into the room, he’d take off his suppressor before taking to the stage of the machine. His eyes turned to see Ruby also doing the same, yet the moment she did, wings of a crane sprouted from the back of her uniform, ripping parts of it up.

“AH?! NOT AGAIN?!”

“Y-You okay there?”

“Yeah...G-Gimme a second.” Ruby started to adjust the wings allowing herself to stretch. The wings followed suit; there wasn’t much to say about this girl. A ‘normal’ looking lass with crane wings sprouting from her back. Obviously a singularity user, but a new kind Roy has only seen in internet articles.

Once she was done stretching, Ruby took to the stage. The singularity machine they were using being the same as the one from the state tournament in Idaho, small and compact. The real machine awaiting use for the finals.

The machine started up as the two fighters began transferring to the playing field. Roy took a moment to close his eyes and take in a breath of air. By the time he exhaled and opened back up again, he stood in front of a traditional tournament stage. Simulated crowds of people gathered in the stands, along with Ruby a few inches in front.

“Fighters at the ready!” The machine's monotone voice echoed among the simulated crowd's roars. “Get set!”

Ruby’s wings started to expand, appearing far more extensive than previously shown — An intimidation display?

“Go!”

Out of the gate, large gusts of wind started to blow upon Ruby’s wings flapping. Slowly levitating off the ground, Roy charged through the sheer wind. Swiftly throwing out a punch that missed causing Ruby to instinctively dodge into the air.

“Whoa! I didn’t expect someone your size to be so quick!”

Hands clenched, Roy bent down and then sprung up into the air, catching hold of Ruby’s leg! “Thanks for the compliment!” His body started to mutate, becoming more muscular in the arms and heavier in the gut. Ruby could hardly withstand his weight as the two instantly collided with the tile floor.

Waving away the dust, Ruby rose from her crash once more, flapping her wings picking up gusts of wind — Unfortunately, she just received a punch right to the face by Roy. Sliding across the tiles, she picked herself back up.

“Urgh! That was one helluva punch. But, try this!” This time the wind that picked up from her wings became razor sharp, cutting up the tiles near her. A dosage of electricity sparked around her as she started to rise into the air once more. “Let’s see how you handle my—” A shadow loomed over the girl despite rising into the air. Then, she was smacked back down by a large fist!

Roy grew to about 10 meters in a short time. As soon as his attack landed, he immediately reverted back down to normal. Taking in big gasps of air — Roy once more clenched his fist. “T-That makes two! One more…”

Ruby rose to her feet once more, this time bleeding from her forehead and one of her wings broken from the impact. So much for savoring for a long fight. The girl immediately aimed her finger at Roy, sending out bolts of lightning to zap him.

The bolts made impact, shocking Roy as he continued to stand firm, slowly marching towards her building up speed as the volley increased. Gusts of wind started to circulate around his right fist — upon realizing a delay in Ruby’s attacks. He charged! In a bit of a panic, Ruby attempted to take flight. Unfortunately, she was too late and received a rather harsh punch to the gut. The girl was sent flying into the crowd and knocked unconscious with the imprint of a fist on her.

“Match end!” The system relayed — warping both Roy and Ruby out of the playing field. In the commentators' box, Livia and Paige couldn’t believe it.

“AMAZING! Starlight takes the win of the vanguard match! Madam Paige, what do you think?!”

Paige simply started to draw once more, revealing elongated blue streaks around the board. The simple word ‘Fast’ was planted in the middle.

“INDEED! That was one quick match! Will the sergeant's match be the same?!”

The medics took Ruby off to the side to tend to any lingering wounds. While Roy walked back to his team. On the way there, he intercepted Cheveyo.

“So, how was it?” Cheveyo asked.

“....It was…” Roy couldn’t conjure up a word to describe his feelings for the nationals thus far — yet a smirk shown across his face. All he could say was simply ‘AMAZING!” Good ol’ Roy back to his usual self.

“YOU WON'T BELIEVE HOW BADASS I WAS! You think I'll get a reward for the fastest match?”

“The fastest, huh? Who knows, glad you’re happy about taking our first win. I’ll be sure to break your record of the quickest match this tournament.” Cheveyo smiled, preparing to walk past Roy.

“As if~!” The two bumped fists together and departed. Starlight's debut to the nationals was looking up. Upon making it back to the room, Roy was met with a rather forceful hug from Heidi.

“YOU DID IT! See! I told you guys.”

Heidi released herself from Roy and looked towards Deveron and Alexia. “Have no fear, for this time around. We’ll make sure none of you have to fight~!”

“Easy there, sunshine. Let’s not get crazy. So long as all three of you don’t lose. We’ll carry you the way through.” Deveron leaned back on the couch, watching as Cheveyo’s fight was about to commence.

“Didn’t think you’d increase your size like that, Roy. Luckily, they weren’t that fast.”

Roy’s attention turned to Alexia. Thinking a bit about why he even grew to that size.

“Oh! That was a mistake. Force of habit from training. Luckily, that girl didn’t have as much firepower as you did. Or else I'd have lost at that moment.”

“Though I’m more so upset the match ended so quickly.”

“Well, I can’t have a match lasting so long my opponent gets strong! Case in point — You!” Roy’s finger motioned onto Alexia. Alexia, who instinctively looked a bit shocked, didn’t really think about why he improved his quickness to end fights.

“I don’t drag matches on!”

“I’m not saying that, I’m saying you keep getting crazier as the matches go!”

“Well, from all the people we’ve seen over the past few months. Quite a few people sort into that category.” Heidi chimed in. “Though. Marie could probably halt your quick win also...Chev also… and Deveron.”

“Ha!” Deveron laughed.

“They have cheats clearly and don’t know of the hard work put into a common singularity~!”

“At the rate you're going, you’ll probably go from a two-star to a three. Maybe in one of the future games, they’ll make you a semi-rare.” Deveron continued to take jabs at Roy. But, the two eventually came to a halt upon Reynolds reining them in for it. For now, the fights went on as the vanguard matches came to a close for this side, and Sargeants began.

3