Chapter 47 – Out of Sight
122 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The American Nationals continued on with roaring excitement around the nation, from the pristine beaches of Hawaii to the bustling city of New York all within the country awaited with interest in who’d take the prize. Stationed at a cafe not far from the actual tournament site, Dr.Teagan watched the Sargents fight finishing up against Idaho and Texas from a nearby screen.

Seated across from him would be his hired gun, Blight. Though, dressed very casually despite preferring his military garb. “This is one long vacay, Doctor...Didn’t think America was all that interesting truthfully.”

“Oh? Does the tourney catch your fancy? Or was it the city? Frankly, I can’t be bothered when coming back home. Not like we’re going on any expeditions anytime soon.” Teagan continued eying up the screen in the distance — Carefully paying close attention to the next batch of participants. On the screen, it showed Heidi approaching the stage along with her statistics in full display.

“Yeah, we’re getting paid to do nothing but relish in luxury. No offense, Doctor. But, these tournaments are the only thing interesting about this nation.”

“I’d argue the same for many places. Doesn’t your queen host a special tournament also?”

“Ol’ Liz? So I heard, but I’m not interested in my own home anymore. Especially after the last case, we were on.”

Teagan simply looked back at Blight, recollecting the past year, an assortment of events colliding worldwide. Yet, here in America, nothing out of the ordinary except blind politicians and a grand tournament.

“It’s like they want us to look elsewhere...” Teagan muttered before taking a stand. “Come along, Blight.”

“Of course, Doctor. Hopefully, the foundation takes a liking to your case.”

“They’ll have no choice.” Teagan reached down beside him picking up a briefcase, and the two departed the cafe.

The tournament continued as the day started to whine down within starlights room; Alexia stood up from her seat, glanced around the room, and looked back at the monitor. Heidi’s match commenced, yet Alexia had faith they would win the day. Still, no signs of Reynolds anywhere, So no was the time to act before the day ended.

“Alright, I’ll be back. I need to find a restroom.”

Cheveyo turned to look at Alexia, noticing the bioluminescence in her hair starting to glimmer in the shadows. “...Try not to get lost.” While Cheveyo wanted to remind Alexia of her place in the team, he knew not to keep up the same process that’s been repeated since regionals. Deveron, meanwhile, seemed to have fallen asleep in a nearby chair while Roy’s eyes were glued to the screen.

“I don’t get lost that easily~.” Before Cheveyo could mount a response, Alexia quickly left the room, pacing herself down the hall.

Though she only had one match thus far in the tournament, Alexia could not disregard the energies swelling in a single place still. Despite this segment being a team tournament, people lined up to see the individuals starting in a few days. Something she never signed up for.

“I should have signed up for the singles tournament, way more money in the making~.” Yet, with the new prize pool having increased, joining the individuals would likely have not banked her much. Her expression slowly morphed into wicked cheerfulness, thinking about the prize money, darkening shadows loomed in the hall.

With a single step forward — Wind brushed past Alexia forcing her to instinctively halt in place. Pressure loomed in the narrow passage as a familiar face approached. Adorned in their usual salwar kameez blanketed in an orange and red coloration, Mahdri continued marching down the hall only to brush past Alexia. A faint aura of gold seeping from Mahdri and two golden arms reaching out towards Alexia ready to grab hold.

Suddenly, the pressure subsided with Mahdri stopping in place. Any energy or mystical power extruding from them went away. Mahdri finally turned to face Alexia. A cold sweat moved down Alexia’s face, while Mahdri had a more perplexed look.

Just as Alexia blinked, Mahdri now stood inches away from her face. The girl quietly examined Alexia moving around them ever so slightly to gauge who this was. Then, It hit her!

“Oh~!” Clasping her hands together, Mahdri gave a bright smile to Alexia. “Great fortune to you, Quasar!”

“Quasar?”

“Oh, I’m sorrys. Millennium greets Starlight~.”

“H-Hello. You must be….” Alexia also took a moment to observe Mahdri. America always had its mysterious and wild characters, perhaps even potential rejects of a nation. Yet, the one before her was something entirely different.

“Mahdri! Forgive, I caught an interesting individual.”

“Looks like we both did. Didn’t expect to see the champion stroll past me, let alone talk to me.”

“Champion? No, No...The real champion is too much for Mahdri.” Mahdri’s eyes glanced upward at Alexia’s hair; the strange glow emitting from the ends put them into a wary state as if something in her wanted to rip off the strands.

“Your...hair…”

“Yeah, I know it’s a different color. It’s hair dye...”

“...” Mahdri tilted her head slightly as if awaiting another response; after ten seconds, she nodded. “I see~! It looks good on you. Maybe improved when hair is cut shorter~.”

Alexia tapped the top of her head only to move her hands steadily through their strands. Taking a few quick glances at Mahdri, Alexia thought about her having shorter hair for a brief moment.

“Maybe. But, I think I'll be fine. Um, was there anything else you wanted to say?”

“Hmmm… Nope!” Mahdri started to back away. “I look forward to when we can meet ~ properly.” With that, Mahdri waltzed off.

“...Um...Okay…” Alexia left dumbfounded at meeting the fan-favorite Mahdri. Just as quickly as they met, the two departed. A quick and awkward greeting, was this going to be commonplace in the future?

By the time Mahdri returned to her tournament section, stepping foot into their team room immediately grabbed by Triston, her team's vice-captain.

“Stop wandering off on your own. Where did ya’ even go?”

“Hm? Huh? Oh? Oh! I met a star.”

“Come again?”

“Yeah~. It was surreal, a ton of energy extruding, waiting to pop~. I hope we fight.”

“Oi, Taylor, what is she saying?”

Taylor took a glance from the couch before slightly shifting up her glasses to observe the two. “She must be referring to Starlight's captain. The one that defeated Gabriel.”

Suddenly, Ariella hugged Mahdri from the side, bringing her own face close to theirs. “So, you’re saying, Mahdri encountered her opponent? Didn’t the same thing happen last year with Clark?”

“Yes. We all were there. The strange phenomenon that occurs when walking past someone stronger than you is a harrowing experience...Well, demotivating.” Taylor replied, continuing to dabble on her tablet.

“What makes you think you’re going to fight her anyway, Mahdri? For all you know, Texas is likely to knock them out.” Triston separated Mahdri and Ariella.

Taylor grabbed the nearest remote, turning on the T.V. instantly; they were given the screen of Starlight moving on to the next round. “Because of that.”

“Well, damn, I'll be.” Triston moved to the nearest chair and seated himself. Mahdri stood in place watching the screen of Starlight’s Heidi Graham winning her match. Ariella started to stretch while taking glances at the screen.

Taylor once more pushed up her glasses. “So...This means the finals are decided.”
“What do you mean, we have one mo- Oh right. The free for all battle.” Triston let out an annoyed sigh. More work for them all.

Pressure in the area started to build up ever so slightly as everyone's attention turned to look at Mahdri. Excitement brimming on Ariella, Annoyance on Triston, and a cold sweat on Taylor. Osvaldo was nowhere in sight. Arms extending outward as if to grasp hold of something, Mahdri’s pupils resembled that of a lotus flower blooming.

“A western dragon clinging its jaws against the black panther of the south beneath the malevolent star, O’ caste against the years of eternity~.” Mahdri started to twirl around in place.

“Mahdri…” Ariella tapped their shoulder.

“Hm?”

“Please, speak normally.”

Mahdri’s twirling halted, a confused expression set in, and with the day finally ending — Tomorrow would begin anew.

Starlight finished their match against Texas, having experienced a more suited team for all-out brawls than team combat. Such cases were expected, but the remaining schools would be a far more daunting task to handle.

By the time the team made it to their hotel, Reynolds was still nowhere to be found. Deveron and Cheveyo considered the possibilities yet knowing the foundation. Still knew their teacher was in good hands. When the morning came, however, Alexia found herself abruptly woken up by Heidi.

“Wake up! We almost overslept!”

“H..Huh? Overslept?” Moving her hands around briefly to grab her phone, Alexia looked at the time, realizing it was almost 9:30 in the morning, closing in on 10. They were required to be at the arena before 10 hit, yet they were tasked with waking up themselves with Reynolds not around.

“W-Wait! Gimme a minute.” After a few minutes of freshening up, Alexia quickly put on her uniform and walked out the door to be greeted by the others.

“Took you long enough.” Deveron said, beginning to rush down the hall.”
“Why didn’t you guys wake me up sooner!” Alexia started to chase Deveron, with the rest following.

“We all sorta overslept until the last moment.” Roy kept up pace beside Heidi as she adjusted her hair. Cheveyo wouldn’t comment, despite him being the one to wake most of them up. This was only due to one of the spirits within him taking over.

“Yeah, well, let’s hope they don’t disqualify us if we’re late.” Deveron sped up, making it out of the building before rushing down the streets. Snow steadily twinkled downward as Cheveyo overtook Deveron jumping over crossroads.

“Tch.” Stopping in place for a moment, Deveron noticed the others brushing past him. “It’s like you guys want to race.” A gentle tap of his right foot against the pavement and a quick breath of icy air into his system. Deveron took off in a hurry.

Cheveyo glanced behind him, momentarily noticing Alexia keeping up pace now. A slight whistle emitted from his voice. Their hotel wasn’t that far from the tournament grounds, only a couple of blocks down, yet they all carried a sense of excitement and nervousness for the match today. Cheveyo halted himself upon jumping into the air and landing directly in front of the tournament building. The tournament on this day was highly crowded compared to the rest.

“Woo~.” Alexia finally caught up, taking time to straighten her hair a bit from giving chase. “You know, that’s kind of cheating using your powers there.”

“My powers?” Cheveyo smiled. It seemed Alexia noticed a little trick he used. “You’ve got quite the eye.”

Deveron arrived a few seconds after with Heidi and Roy behind him. Roy, in particular, took a moment to catch his breath, but such a moment to capture it would subside the moment he saw way more people than before.

“Geez. We might get lost at this rate. Where are we even supposed to be this morning?” Roy asked.

“The main arena. Remember the one in the finals back at state?” Deveron crossed his arms, taking a moment to gauge the building itself. The pressure from the tournament starts finally building up to a fine point.

“Yeah! Man, I’m even more nervous now. Not to mention the national stage is way bigger than ours back home.”

“Well, smile for the cameras….” Cheveyo faced forward, noticing foundation members approaching them.

“Starlight Academy? Please, follow us.” One member said, before heading back towards the building, Starlight followed the foundation members through the thick crowd only to enter a secluded section of the building. They were shown their living quarters for the final duration of the tournament, an entire lounge to themselves only for the foundation to push them along deeper into the building.

Eventually, the team came across two large double doors. A tense rumbling and roar from the crowd shaking their anticipation. Then one foundation member broke the silence.

“Starlight Academy, All of you, please make your way to the Singularity Machine. There you will greet the remaining schools.” The double doors opened up with a long red carpet leading up to the final stage, another from the north, west, and east.

The Singularity LX 9000, a device more prominent than anything their state tournament could muster, even the stadium they entered dwarfed their own — The American nationals weren’t messing around. In the announcement room, Livia and Paige were the announcers for today's matchup!

“Welcome everyone around the US of A! For the grand-finals! A free for all match to claim who's the best school in the nation~! Joining me today is the lovely, Professional Fighter Paige!” Livia excitedly motioned towards Paige seated next to her. The mute fighter merely waved at the camera.

“But, let's cut to the chase! You’re here for the schools! The future warriors of our great nation! Without further ado! Introducing~! Reigning in from the far west! A newcomer to the team tournaments and overall juggernaut! I give you Silver Valley High~!”

A roar from the crowd as Silver Valley’s entire team made their way up to the Singularity Machine from the west. Hayden led the charge waving to the masses. Behind him would be Drogo lagging a bit, only to be kicked in the back by Elsie to pick up the pace. A Mason Carter tailing Elsie, and last but not least, Lei Lingxin quietly making her way up the machine.

“Yet, Let’s stop and take a moment to reveal the runner up’s of last year's tournament! A powerhouse in their home territory! And boasting an outstanding performance among all their members! Millennium High~!”

A tremendous roar echoed across the stadium, even to the city streets across New York — The home-field advantage laid with those of Millennium. Out from the double doors to the east leading the way, Osvaldo waved to his glorious fans. Behind him, Ariella blew a kiss to the audience, Taylor tablet in hand, still tampering with it; a slight annoyance grew as they pushed up their glasses with Triston behind, taking in the moment. Lastly, Mahdri, in the last position, finally stepped onto the machine after her teammates, eyes presently closed — hands gently held together with a calm demeanor.

Lei looked upon Mahdri closely as the two teams now faced opposite of each other. Mahdri peeked one of her eyes open to perceive the other team, primarily Lei Lingxin. Then, both eyes fully opened upon hearing the following announcement commencing.

“Such a home-field advantage! That’s what you’d expect from New York’s very best! However, we cannot dismiss this next newcomer! Soaring through the toughest of challenges, defeating the most valued schools in their respective areas! The stars have aligned for this moment, I give you! Idaho’s very own, Starlight Academy!”

Cheveyo’s nerves seemed to finally get to him, exhaling a few breaths of air as it appeared he was going to be designated the ‘leader’ for the team. Yet, before he could step in first, Deveron took his spot.

“Man, whatever’s inside you is hating this.” Deveron started to march on with a bit of a cold sweat, just looking up at the machine, and the two teams' pressure would send shivers down anyone's spine.

“I’m amazed you could tell.” A graceful smile crept across Cheveyo’s lips, following behind Deveron.

“I can’t blame them, honestly. Even I feel threatened right now….”

Once the two of them stepped onto the red carpet, Roy and Heidi marched on behind them. This pressure wasn’t good for either of them — Heidi clung close to Roy, squinting her eyes at the machine ahead. The vision was hazy, and the constant cheers didn’t make it any easier. Even Roy was shaking a bit, a cold sweat dripping down his face.

Taking in a deep breath of air, Alexia finally followed behind her team. With a firm placement of her foot onto the red carpet, the wind swirled beneath her feet and blew forward towards the other groups. Cheveyo and Deveron slightly peeked behind them, feeling this wind. Mahdri, Osvaldo, Lei, and Hayden also turned their attention upon Alexia. A new power surfaced with lights and cameras viewed upon Starlight, stardust faintly loomed around Alexia. Stepping onto the machine, Alexia glanced at the other two teams — on her right, Mahdri coincidentally. Five fighters on each team… Only one remaining.

“Now! Give your best cheers for the Reigning National Champions! For the first time in American history, the only school to score four consecutive victories breaking the national record! Give it up for the devil’s own crew! From the deep south of Georgia! Blackshear High!” Livia finally delivered the last team to the stage. With it, the crowd's uproar dwarfed what was Millennium's shining moment.

Suddenly, on instinct, all teams on the machine turned their attention to the north. From the double doors stepped out five individuals dressed in a black and green uniform. In the front would be the vanguard, Xavion Hopkins. An African American male looks the most stylish in his uniform, ordained with a red headband and bandages wrapped around his left hand. A smile and wave to his adoring fans around the nation only for a gentle hand to shove him forward. Behind him was an African American female, leading the team into their fifth year, Khinara Curry.

Not to be left out, Tate Kingsley, who stood at about the height of Cheveyo, pale white skin, glasses to boot, and brown hair slicked back, followed behind Khinara. Behind him was a Korean girl by the name of Tae Bong-Cha. They’d attempt to block their face from the cameras as if it mattered in the grand scheme. Yet, she’d be startled by the sudden loudness that was the final player.

“LETS GOOOO!!!”

His voice was full of energy and, like many others, swept in by the excitement all around him. There stood Jumon Hudson, another African American male whose hairstyle fashioned dreadlocks. Much bulkier than anyone on his team, he too wore a headband similar to Xavion, only his being colored red.

Finally, all four teams were gathered, the four final states standing across each other for the last bout. Jumon gently nudged Xavion and Tate.

“Hey, isn’t that…” Jumon snapped his fingers while pointing at Deveron.

“Ah, that’s Deveron. I thought you’d remember him?” Tate responded.

“It’s been a while. HEY! HOW'S IT GOING MAN?!”

Deveron looked towards Jumon as he could only give a simple wave back. Choosing to not engage in conversation with Jumon — Especially during a match.

“Hey! Don’t ignore me! Where’s the love?!”

“Ease up on him man. He’s probably remembering the beatdown from the individuals you gave him.” Xavion finally responded.

Khinara, however, had their eyes set upon Millennium. With their trump card no longer around, she wondered if either of them could stop Mahdri this year. Cheveyo gazed upon the national champions. It felt a bit surreal. Compared to the other two teams, the champions barely had any aura of personality to them. Absolutely nothing, no auras at all. The only thing he could sense...no rather feel. Was pressure... an intense pressure coming from all of them.

Lei gazed upon the champion team. Her hands and legs couldn’t stop shaking. This feeling of uneasiness was common back home — If she had been exposed to this months ago, they’d have fainted on the spot. Her eyes peered onto her team… Was it because of them that she could hold up against these crazy monsters? Still, there were lingering doubts in her mind about most of the American teams.

Before anyone else from all teams could mutter a word, the audience started to quiet down, the lights all shined down onto the gigantic machine. From the corners of the stadium, a black mist swept through the crowds and down towards the device, converging in the middle of all four teams.

From the mist arose the same tall and slender figure that announced the rewards during the ballot picks. Long arms extending outward from his black uniform, his face still obscured by a strange shadow the light could not touch. On his uniform was a tag with the name ‘Overseer.’ Upon speaking, his voice commanded the audience.

“Welcome to the grand finals...America’s strongest teams have assembled this year for another...exciting match. This year it will be a grand free-for-all! But, a special rule makes its way around this year. Once a match has concluded, each team may call upon the previous fighter to aid them in the match. Yet one must also consider said actions when performing it — You only get one chance. So choose wisely when summoning aid. If the primary fighter is knocked out, the supporting one will also be incapacitated.”

There was a moment of silence before the overseer continued; this time, the suppressors of all the teams started to emit a synthetic beep before a scratch of static rang momentarily from their devices.

“We have modified your suppressors to allow them in the fight. Please retain your suppressors on even during transfer… Now then, shall we begin!”

The uproar of the crowd alerted the overseer it was indeed time.

“Now then, may the vanguards of all teams remain standing. The rest may return to their rooms. The first match of the finals shall now commence!”

A tap on Roy’s shoulder forced him to turn to Heidi, who tightly held his hand momentarily.

“You can do this! I have faith that you will bring home a victory!” Heidi gave her blessings to the side. Alexia gave a thumbs up while Cheveyo let out a breath of cold air. Then, Deveron chimed in.

“Aye, good luck out there….” For a moment, he wanted to say something more, but upon locking eyes with Roy. He knew it wasn’t needed.

“You bet!” Roy clenched his fist and watched as his team returned to their rooms. When he turned around, there stood his three opponents.

Standing proudly, the tall and rather bold Hayden allowed his cape to flow with the light breeze of the wind, gently slicking back his hair for the fight ahead. On the opposite side of Hayden was the lovely Ariella, Millennium High’s vanguard, who gently started to tie her hair up before the match kicked off. In front of Roy, however, was Jumon stretching his legs.

“Fighters at the ready!” The machine called out with an enormous amount of blue and yellow particles shooting forth beneath them.

“Transfer commencing!”

3