Chapter 49 – Flash Heroics
123 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

BOOM!

The sound of thunderous pounding echoed throughout the playing field. Xavion tumbled down the mountain path, crashing into the pagodas. Electricity sparked around the water, with quakes rupturing the ground with each step Ariella took. The clash between her and Hayden shifted the land with waves crashing into the pagoda every second.

Charging down the mountainside, Roy leaped forward, brushing past the cascade of forest and back into the open field. Hayden grabbed hold of Ariella’s leg, slinging her back into the pagoda as well. His attention now turned to Roy, who appeared different than before. Steam seeping from his pores, his body less round and plump, looking similar to his own, muscular. Despite being the youngest in this tournament, Roy held his own against the vanguard finalists. Hayden felt a sense of pride and passion in this one before him. Thus it only elevated his power even more at the moment.

“Alright~! You and me, Starlight! Let’s see what you got!” Hayden clenched his fists, a concentrated circulation of air wrapped around them. Roy let out a breath of air before raising his own.

From the eyes of those watching, what followed became a repeated slug-fest. Deveron recalled always seeing when Roy fought back home. Hayden's companions watched on within their room as the fighting continued.

“Soo... When do you think he’s going to stop messing around?” Elsie, the lieutenant of their team, leaned against the couch, rapidly tapping her feet. Occasionally, bunny ears popped out from the top of her head, only to retract with each tap.

Lei was still taken back by the display of the entire match in general. Usually, finals where she came from ended within minutes, but the Americans were so tanky, even overall aggressive, that she never thought of a single match between four individuals taking more than five minutes to end.

“You know, when he feels the fans are expecting a climactic end…” Now looking more sleep-deprived than before, Drogo rested on the couch watching the match. Next to him would be Mason Carter, dressed in uniform only ordained in more punk attire. Mason said nothing, simply picking his teeth with his finger watching as the fight went.

“Well, he needs to hurry! But I was supposed to fight Ariella. Didn’t think she’d be Millennium’s vanguard this year.”

Mason finally spoke up, “Well, it’s because compared to her peers, she is the one always on the offensive.”

“I thought that was Mahdri?”

“Mahdri takes time according to those that fought her. Ariella just keeps the pressure on. You and her share similar powers anyway. But, you’re pretty lacking on the offensive, heh.”

“Nonsense, I’m all power~.”

“Keep tellin’ yourself that.” Mason finally rose up from his seat to stretch. “Besides, he’s going to end it soon anyway. We shouldn’t worry about Millennium or Blackshear until later, so don’t go losing. I’d prefer to end this tournament with a sweep of victories.”

Lei sat there quietly, keeping her faith in the hands of Hayden; Drogo didn’t care and merely dozed off into a quiet slumber. Elsie seemed the only one keen on keeping the streak going.

“You got it!” She’d reply.

Within Georgia’s room, their team watched as Xavion was now going toe to toe against Ariella, the latter of which, despite being insanely fast, could not dent Xavion.

“She’s havin’ trouble, huh. Think only Hayden and that Roy fella are the only ones that can even break his defense.” Jumon, fiddling with his suppressor, felt if this wasn’t a free for all, Xavion would win simply by outlasting his opponent till the timer. Off to his side seated Tae, fiddling with their phone uninterested in the fight at hand. Her entire mannerisms appeared lacking, feet propped up on the table, And a demeanor that made her seem less like a princess and more so the top girl of the entire school.

Across from them, standing tall watching the fight, would be their current captain and overall team leader this year, Khinara and Tate seated in a nearby chair.

“Unlikely, maybe against Millennium, but Starlight didn’t seem to be pulling punches against him. Though, We should be careful when throwing ourselves against these newcomers. It will be difficult to keep up our winning streak this year.” Khinara let out an exhausting sigh afterwards.

“On the contrary, both newcomers have experienced players on their team. I’d argue the worst one Xavion is facing right now.” Tate finally spoke up.

“Who? That Hayden fella? His power is a bit freaky, almost like Cha-Cha’s right here!” Jumon moved his hand over to pat his companion, yet it was deflected quite quickly by Tae.

“My power ain’t freaky. Just because you suck at team matches.”

“So you do agree his powers are similar to yours?”

“No, not even close. He seems to fall into the category of friendship and love. Or whatever that group of schmucks believe to be fueling them.”

“Aye! Regardless, I place my bets on my boy, Xavion.”

Khinara turned her gaze to Jumon, almost opening her mouth before Tae rebuked.
“I don’t think he’s going to make it. Looks to me like Millennium is finally breaking through that ‘defense’ of his.”

The sound of lightning crackled around the playing field, Ariella's legs swiftly moving with the wind delivered devastating hits to Xavion’s chest. With each step forward, she shifted the ground underneath, disrupting Roy in the process, who was knocked back into her from Hayden.

“OH YEAH! Time to show you all what California is all about!” Enormous concentrations of wind circulated around Hayden’s arm, his excitement bundling up into a fierce storm. Ariella kicked Roy off her, realizing the sudden change in pressure in the area. Xavion, having taken the full brunt of Ariella’s kicks, braced himself for this next attack.

“Brace yourselves, valiant warriors of America! For you face the west coast's tremendous power!” Hayden continued to concentrate energy into his fists, only to feel the tingling sensation of being struck in his neck by a lightly fast kick from Ariella. Yet, it made no effort — A burning sensation next against his chest as Roy attempted to punch him back, yet again to no avail.

“Ha Ha~! A good attempt, but now face the fury of [FREEDOMS EMBRACE]!” Lifting up both arms high above his head, a surge of wind and energy altered the playing field; the earth shifted and uplifted the waters as the pagoda collapsed in on itself. A maelstrom formed near Xavion, pulling him in — Wind currents hauled Roy and Ariella high into the air rendering them unable to break free.

“[The END]!” Clasping both of his hands, the density in the area rapidly changed. At a moment's notice, Roy and Ariella, along with Xavion, were about to be crushed until the system immediately kicked them out.

"Winner! Silver Valley High!" The system replied as Hayden materialized back into reality, waving at the audience cheering him on.

Jumon watched the match end. It seemed his bet was crippled in half in a matter of seconds. Yet, he finally took a stand.

“Annoying as always, alright. Guess I'll go win us one then. No worries since we don’t have our shining devil with us~!”

“Good luck.” Khinara replied.

“I have a bet on you losing.” Tae continued tampering with her phone.

“Don’t be like that; you might jinx it.” Tate steered his head in their direction for a moment to judge, then quickly turned it back to the screen.

“Heh! Aight, I'll play along with the bet if I win. You gotta treat me to some nice food when we get back.”

“Yeah, Yeah. Just go.”

Within the confines of Millennium's room, a few of them were shocked to see Ariella be defeated so quickly, not only that but the other two fighters as well.

“Man, that Hayden fellow is tough. Maybe we should have sent Mahdri in first.” Triston continued to laze around the room watching the match, yet the rest of the team didn’t seem all too worried.

Osvaldo turned his head towards Taylor, taking a moment to think before allowing her to pass.

“Alright… I know it's hard, but please. Don’t toy with your opponents this time. Give us a win?”

Taylor looked to Osvaldo with a faint smile, only gently pushing up her glasses. The same tablet filled with information of nearly every person fighting was in her hand. On the side, the mark of the singularity foundation plastered onto it.

“I’ll try my best, but my opponents are those that defy what I am. Sooo… I’ll just give it the same as the rest of us. I swear it’s like I'm about to fight multiple Mahdri’s.”

“Well, I can already tell you have a plan in action, so good luck.” Osvaldo waved Taylor off.
“Have fun!” Mahdri replied. Taylor looked back at Mahdri and merely gave them a thumbs up.

“Yeah, I have a plan, though fighting two of ‘em will be quite difficult, the Starlight guy in particular…Cheveyo, was it? Yeah, I might need to adjust some backups. Anywho, I'm off.”

Within California’s room, neither of them was surprised that Hayden won. Drogo had fallen into a slumber by the end of the fight, only to be woken up with a slap on the head from Elsie.

“Wake up! You’re next!”

“Hey now…Don’t disturb me….” Scratching the area he was hit in, Drogo finally arose, taking a deep breath in before begrudgingly leaving the room.

“Good luck!” Elsie waved him off, only for Lei to speak up.

“He won’t need it…”

“Yeah… What she said. Uuuh… I’ll see how the ‘buddy’ is doing.”

Elsie confusingly watched as Drogo continued on, only to look back at Lei.

“What’d he mean by that?”

“You’ll see.” Lei gave a gentle smile turning back to the screen.

The crowds lined up around the stadium waited for the Sargents match. Announcers all throughout chimed in on the Vanguard match. Yet, Paige just continued to draw within the main room as Livia continued to shout next to her.

As each vanguard made their way out, the sergeants passed each of them. On the way, Roy stopped to face Cheveyo, who had a worried look upon his face.

“Ah, sorry about that. Not used to matches like that. Prefer things one on one. But, if you need my aid, they said you could call upon me!”

“No, I don't intend on using our little aid ticket for this match. Just have a few things rambling in my head right now. Though, if I recall, my opponents aren’t going to be pushovers just like yours.”

“Yeah, but you got this! Even though I ruined my debut during the finals…”

“I wouldn’t go that far with it. You held out very well against three opponents.” Cheveyo slowly lifted up his fist to Roy. Roy did the same as well. The two bumped fists and continued on. “I got this, don’t worry.”

“Yeah! Best of luck!”

From the double doors of the south, Cheveyo emerged, looking at his three opponents already awaiting him. To his front was Jumon, the loudmouth that seemed to know Deveron. Cheveyo’s eyes flashed green, momentarily locating a density of wind circulation around him. To his left was Drogo, a sickly purple aura coating him; out of the corner of his eye, he swore he saw another figure looming in his shadow. Lastly, to his east, Taylor the girl adjusting her glasses their eyes met. Yet, unlike the other two, he could not trace any energy or aura to her being.

Finally making it to his spot, the machine activated, immediately shifting its gears for transfer.

“All fighters at the ready! The Sargents match is about to commence! Beginning transfer!” The system called out.

In his mind, the spirits were screeching at Cheveyo’s mind warning him about the one on his left, yet his eyes kept being glued on the one to his east. A bad sign if the spirits were in a frenzy already, and his own gut feeling opposing what the spirits felt.

2