Chapter 57 – Glimmering Star
143 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The uniqueness of one’s power often determines their stance in this world. Unique, the keyword among even the most common singularities, you can find uniqueness in a variety of people. But, ever so often there may come one or two individuals that defy what is unique.

To say that my power is unique, wouldn’t serve it justice.

Honestly… I’d say it is the only singularity out there. The ability to form stars and anything related to it is law-defying — Earth Shattering, and utterly unique. But, it wasn’t always like this, could you tell? Probably not.

Originally, it was water. Yep, the control of water — a common one at that. Proficient at it at the ripe age of 4, though I feel it's best we keep this story on track with where it began. About five years ago, there was a great solar event in America. My family at the time was vacationing and we happened to be in the right spot at the right time to witness the solar eclipse.

A whole crowd had gathered to watch the event. Some were up on the hills, a few even brought nifty cameras for either a better view or to record the action themselves. My father and I walked up the hill to get a better look for ourselves, while my mother and sister stayed down below.

Strangely enough, there was a glimmer of bluish light on the edge of the eclipse. At first, I assumed it was merely the light from the sun doing weird things, but no, it only got brighter and brighter. When I asked my dad what blue light was, he simply responded, saying he didn’t see any blue light at all. And when the eclipse fully set in, all I could see was that light getting brighter and brighter, as if it were closing in on me.

I could see all the stars in the sky, the eclipse, and what my mind could only assume was a falling star besetting me. As it drew closer and closer, it was as if the surrounding space became a vacuum. It was just me, alone, among a sea of stars.

Before I knew it, the eclipse was fading and the bright light in the sky kept approaching, causing me to close my eyes out of fear. Or was it because I couldn’t bear the light? I honestly can't recall right now, all I know was when I opened them again I was laying down flat on the outskirts of town. I later found out I could form stars in the palm of my hand, which regrettably led to setting a forest on fire. Burned my hands too — Apparently, I had gone missing for quite a while that day. My father had me in his sights for a moment, then seconds later it was as if I wasn’t even there to begin with.

That day is still a bit mysterious to me, honestly, it feels like because it was during an eclipse I’m always feeling stronger when the sky is doing something amazing or freaky. Though, that’s about all I can remember up until now.

The sound of crowds cheering from around the building echoed into the private room where Alexia and Clarice were. The sun had finally set and the bioluminescence lighting up around Alexia shined brighter in the dark.

Clarice shook around the drink in their hand gathering their thoughts on the story just provided to them. Not a fascinating story? To Clarice, it checked off all the marks they were looking for. The woman merely started to drink before glancing at the monitor displaying the victory of Starlight.

“Hmph. Well then, little star. I thank you for sharing, go and enjoy yourself to the fullest. You’re certainly right about it being unique…Hell, One of a kind in my books.”

“Urgh, yeah…Should I be worried that you’ll use this against me?”

“Against you? Aw, Little Star, I'm hurt you’d think such a thing. No, no. Don’t worry your story is safe with me, it’s helped me fill in a tiny gap after all.”

“Fill in a gap? How?”

“Mmm… Well, as I said, win your match and I’ll tell you everything. Even the world… Now, off you go, don’t want to keep the fans waiting.”

“Keeping me in the dark isn’t a good idea ya know. But, yeah I’ll try my best…no I’ll show you my absolute best! That money prize is mine~.”

Alexia walked out of the room, leaving behind Clarice to herself. As the door closed, the only source of visible light came from the sole monitor inside. A bioluminescent glow of crimson slowly illuminated the ends of Clarice's hair.

The woman merely exhaled, the temperature in the room dropping rapidly as her breath became visible in the form of a chilling fog, though it seemed the woman was used to this cold.

“Hm? Yeah… I know. We’ll just have to see how those two, Mahdri and her, are with our own eyes then…”

Clarice sets down the drink.

“Achoo~!”

Rubbing the bridge of their nose, Clarice appeared to be in a cheery mood, the final piece was set. Now to see if Abby would interfere.

Alexia continued down the hall making their way past a flock of people coming out from the stands, a break between the matches while people went about to gather more food and prepare for the final event. The entire building was packed, and even more, people watch at home.

Stopping by to talk with Roy and Heidi wasn’t in her priorities, preparing for the big match being the priority. Yet, on her way to the machine, she intercepted Cheveyo and Deveron. Dev, in particular, holding the side of his hip, the medics patched him up nicely, but he could hardly walk from being so sore around his waist.

“And here I thought, we’d have to go find out lost captain.”

“She doesn’t get lost that easy.” Cheveyo rubbed the side of his head, as one of the spirits broke out from his body. It was the owl, as it landed perfectly at the top of his head.

“As if I’d get lost for my match. Besides, I can follow the energy.”

In her eyes, Cheveyo and Deveron were at their limits in terms of energy. Taking a moment to glance to the right, she could sense the energy of Roy and Heidi through the wall, they were weak as well. It was to be expected anyway, everyone exhausting themselves to pull out a victory. But, in these conditions, she really was the anchor now.

“She literally lost her way here when we first arrived. Not to mention back at the regionals…Which was even SMALLER!” Alas, Deveron merely shrugged.

The owl flew off Cheveyo and landed in front of Alexia, the spirit didn’t appear to be giving a blessing, nor a curse. It merely gazed upon the girl only to slowly waddle over to Cheveyo and slowly vanish.

“Oi, What’s up with that spirit, Chev?” Dev asked.

“Did it just curse me?”

“No, No. That one doesn’t really do anything mischievous as that. I thought it was about to give a blessing, but it didn’t do that either.”

“A blessing would have been nice, but I don’t think I’ll need it.”

“Your opponents included the runner-up from last year and the winning school of last year. Not to mention, the other school which defeated California’s powerhouse. I advise caution, please try not to do anything crazy from the get-go.” Cheveyo gave a bit of a lecture to Alexia, though it was out of worry more than anything.

“Relax, I looked over the data you gave me. But, I don’t know if I can hold back against, Millennium~.”

A bright smile shined through Alexia, that same exhilarating expression that made its frequent debut when faced with strong opponents. Deveron knew the filling but never leaned so heavily into it as Alexia did. Cheveyo couldn’t lean into such an emotion of excitement some of the spirits in him wouldn’t allow it.

Just as Cheveyo was about to continue, the intercom started to play.

“Would all captains please make your way to the stadium.”

The intercom cut off right after, and people started to file back into the stands and viewing rooms.

“Looks like I'm up then.”

“May the spirits favor you, Alexia.” Cheveyo placed his faith into her, hoping the spirits would provide some blessing, but none of them did. For what reason, he could only assume they wanted to see how far the girl would go alone.

As for Deveron, the look on his face happened to be mixed with pain, excitement, and anxiety. Before Alexia could even take off, he started to speak up.

“Listen, Alexia. I don’t care how you’re going to perform, but you better beat all their asses. For yourself, Me, Chev, Heidi, Roy, and even Teach. I bet teach is watching somewhere. Can’t disappoint the man now can we?”

“Of course, we can’t!”

Deveron slowly raised his hand, for the passing Alexia. The two would give each other a high-five and be on their way. For once in his life, Deveron would have to place his entire hopes and dreams into Alexia. But, it was something he’d gladly do now.

Alexia marched on, the glimmer of a star shining brightly in their eyes.

3