Chapter 68 – Churning Cog
92 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An intense pain radiated at the top of Teagan’s head; the researcher finally began to wake up, opening his eyes to what appeared to be him lying on the floor. In the room, a few others would still be knocked out from watching last night's match.

“My head… Urgh… What happened?”

His eyes scanned the room only to get up to take a moment to process all that had happened. The sound of feet pacing around the building was heard outside the room. A few researchers frantically moved through the building, trying to make sense of where the time had gone. Scratching the back of his head, Teagan started to stretch for a moment. His body felt a bit weak, almost like a cold beginning to take over, and in general, he felt low on energy. Not even coffee could help this.

In the corner of his eye, Rhea happened to still be knocked out, but everyone still breathed a breath of air; they were alive. Only likely to have the same hangover as him once they awoke. His ears soon caught the attention of a few knocks coming from the doorway to the room.

“H-Hang on, just one moment… Let me catch myself….”

Placing his hands on the desk, and the knocks kept repeating until his eyes finally turned to the door.

“I said, give me a mo-”

Teagan froze, only to squint his eyes slightly before properly adjusting himself to stand. Standing at the doorway would be two enigma members clad in a special red robe over their uniform. And standing in the middle of the entrance would be the pregnant Abby. The crimson-haired, scarlet-eyed woman gave a benevolent smile to the doctor. She allowed him the moment to properly wake up, but this was only for about a few seconds, and then she spoke.

“We meet again, Doctor. It’s been some time… Two years correct? I see you’re the only one in here awake.”

“Y-You must forgive me, my lady… I had quite a rough night.”

“I’m well aware. I thank you for participating, even if it was unwilling.”

“I’d kindly like it if you steered us, normal humans, away from your experiments… But, I take it you’re not here on catch-up. If it were, I’d have a cup of coffee in my hand.”

“Always quick to the point. Correct. I have a task for you and your team when they awaken. And don’t worry, this experiment just got a bit out of hand, hehe~. But do not worry, I’ll be away for some time for most of next year. It’s time to clear up some loose ends after all.”

Teagan slowly adjusted his tie, trying to remain standing. He slowly felt his energy return as the conversation went on. His focus is primarily on Abby, his mannerism in how he stood almost in the way of him bowing his head out of respect.

“W-What would you have me do this time? I’ve tried my best to get the senate and house to recognize what's happening in the rest of the world. But they’re blind in thinking such cases are extremely rare. After all, this world has its tight reins over singularity users.”

“That is true, but it’s fine, even what occurred last night. I’m sure some in this land of freedom will awaken to what may be happening. It matters not now. I’m soon to leave this city, and I want you and your team to head to Japan for me. At least for a month or two, and aid the foundation researchers there.”

“M-May I inquire why? M-Milady?”

“... Let’s say I’ve caught yet another prize there, but complications have arisen. I want you to aid in luring out someone… or something. A killer, you could say. It shouldn’t take long; you’ll be back home for the world tournament.”

“I-I see. You’re having a mere doctor hunt a serial killer?”

“You’re too modest. And here I thought you switched your title to being an artifact hunter. Trust me when I say you’ll enjoy what you’ll find there. Even under the guise of ‘killer.’ Besides, I won’t let you go alone. You'll have one of our latest experiments when you get on your next flight there. An android by the name of Byte. They’ll protect you. That’s all, Teagan. Until we meet again.”

Abby let out a soft chuckle. Her conversation with Teagan was over; thus, she turned around and left. As much as Teagan wanted to say something, even object. He could not; the All-Mother had her influence everywhere. Yet, even if there was a complaint, the pay was good and may let him acquire more relics. Once he was sure she was gone, he let out a breath of air, only to lean back a bit to think.

“Of all places… Japan? Wait… Byte? Giving me Guiles's favorite project… He must have developed something better than if I’m taking their reins.”

Teagan would wait until his team and the other researchers awoke. Thinking on it further, it wasn’t so bad if he was getting an android to help.

___

Abby stepped outside, watching as a few foundation members opened the door to a rather robust black limo. The sun was still rising in the distance, and the morning dew still fresh upon the grass. Her business with Teagan was complete, and they had other issues to fix before the next year pulled over. Holding a hand to her stomach closely, Abby cherished the one inside; it only took a single person to catch her attention from embracing it.

Glancing upward, Abby saw Lyn. The professional supervisor of all these tournaments.

“Ah~. Lyn, you’ve made it. Let’s take a trip back to one of our domains, shall we?”

“Of course, My Lady.”

The two entered the limousine to have a private conversation on the way to an unknown location early in the morning.

“I thank you for taking up such a role, Lyn. What do you think of my little project?”

“If you’re referring to you and Lord Reynolds… pet… She has promise, but are you sure you wish for the tear to lie within her? It could make the world… upset.”

“I’ll leave the politics to those that are near their coffins. Any issues they have will pass and only truly affect the youth. I’ve seen it countless times. If they make a big fuss over her, if they even notice, I’m sure you can handle it~.”

“With all due respect, My Lady. There are only around 10 million singularity users and around 10 billion humans. With one like that Alexia around, especially with the tear in them, it’ll only lead to a worst situation than before.”

“I’m aware, which is why we need the other two tears. Do remember, Lyn. There are only three. We had two, and now we have tracked the final one to the east. Keep an eye on that situation for me. I’ll be mostly stagnant starting next year, as you know~.”

“Of course, the arrival of My Lady’s offspring. I’ll keep an eye out… What would you have me to do in the east?”

“Oh? I must apologize. You’re not going to the east.”

“I’m not?”

“Indeed, you’ll be heading to Britain, France, Germany, Poland, and Italy. I want to make sure the Europeans are ready for the world stage. I’m sure they’ll enjoy America participating this coming year. How long has it been since this nation participated, hm?”

“A decade, My Lady.”

“Oh? That long, huh? Well, I’m sure a few of them have met Clarice. I do hope they give me quite the show~. But, to finish things off. I want you to make sure all of their national teams are in tip-top shape, their strongest. I’ve already pushed the foundation to accelerate operations in the east. We will need all tears converging in one location next year.”

“If you do not mind me asking. Where exactly are we setting the stage for the world?”

“Why, Switzerland, of course.”

“... If I'm heading to Europe, then you’ve sent most of the dragons to Asia?”

“Indeed, I have. It’s best to have the majority of them working together for once in finding the second. I hear we have quite the troublemaker in Japan.”

“The Singularity Killer?”

“What a dumb name to give them, but yes. They slew two dragons earlier this year, and I have a hard time finding replacements~. Oh well, I must say this person is quite interesting, enough to the point I may have to intervene~. But that’s a scenario I’d rather not have.”

“Are you sure you would not have me handle it?”

“No, Lyn, I need you in Europe. After all, time is ticking~. And my time waits for no one.”

“Of course… But I have one final question.”

“Ask.”

“What if the person that has killed your dragons… Has the tear?”

Abby closed her eyes, the crimson woman taking a moment to think for once. Yes, this was a very rare moment; even Lyn was slightly stunned. Usually, Abby was always quick and decisive, never really much in thinking, for she had everything planned. It took a good minute before Abby would reply again.

“Then I will step in. Let’s hope I don’t cause a great calamity~.”

“I’m sure the others you assigned will have everything under control.”

“One can hope.”`

The limo continued to drive off deep into the state, with the sun rising on a new day. The two would not speak much further until they arrived at an unknown destination, and the topics between them would stay with them until the time was right.

___

The day kept going, and when the sun reached its peak at noon, stationed in a local church somewhere on the rural outskirts of New York. Clarice sat next to Polita front row before a giant cross and a Vatican priest across from them giving a sermon. The church itself was honestly empty. That and the sermon felt more like a torturing lecture to Clarice more than anything, but Polita happened to be in prayer. When the priest finished his sermon, he finally looked at the two seated.

“Welcome, Child of the lord….”

The priest's eyes looked to Polita. He could only smile and be in awe at the halo that constantly stood above their head. His gaze then fell upon Clarice, the smile still there but certainly lower.

“And… Devil’s Host, Ms.Clark. I take it your task is complete?”

Clarice tapped her feet against the floor, impatiently looking at the priest.

“Yeah, it’s done. I will need a few favors from that ‘holy father’ of yours.”

“The Pope is quite busy these days, as you know, and we cannot simply let you get close to him.”

“I’m aware, but I doubt he’d care even if I approached him in Rome. This favor isn’t in meeting him; it is something else.”

“Oh? Do tell. Or is this part of the foundation crawling up your ankles, and you need recovery? Or perhaps you require a loan? I’m afraid the church cannot offer you such a loan without compensation.”

“Nothing like this, pay attention. That and I don’t need a loan! You implying I need money?”

Polita turned to Clarice, giving a smile to them. The halo girl knew Clarice did indeed need money. They both required cash, but due to the constraints on Polita’s job as a bodyguard, she was reimbursed through other means but generally lived with Clarice wherever they went. The mute girl continued to watch and listen to the conversation.

The priest took a moment to think and, after around ten seconds, acknowledged Clarice and would let her speak.

“Nothing of the sort, Ms.Clark. So what are these favors? I’ll try my best to send it towards the Vatican for verifi-”

The priest was cut short for words.

“I want you to investigate the Dragons. I know you all know about them. You keep secrets in that tomb below Rome. Specifically, three of them. In fact, I want support in the upcoming months. Tell the Pope to sponsor and help me with this little project.”

“... T-These are some unreasonable requests, I’m afraid. We know nothing about drago-”

“Like hell you old men do! Look, I’m giving you a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! All you have to do is those two things for me… and sponsor me for the world tournament….”

The priest stood silent for a moment, only to quickly rush to a nearby corner and pull out a phone. Clarice continued to lean back, only this time laying her head against Polita’s shoulder, waiting patiently.

“Oh, Shut it, Lucy… This helps you too…”

A low demonic gargle left Clarice’s voice, only for her to immediately burp afterward. The halo above Polita shifted from a golden yellow to an eerie white coloration. Her expression became that of boredom, it seemed. After a few minutes, the priest returned.

“... You’ll have your sponsor… As for these… Dragons… We cannot help you with that, I’m afraid…. “

“What! Why not?!”

“ To get involved with such people, even for someone of your… stature, would prove fatal. It’s best you pretend they don’t exist, Ms.Clark… Shall we offer a prayer?”

“You’re telling me you’ll sponsor us but won’t help with the real issue looming over everyone?”

“I’m sorry, but we cannot help you with such an issue… Especially when ‘she’ is always watching. We attempted in the past, and lessons were learned. We hope you do not deliver this child of god to her death so quickly with your actions.”

The priest aimed a finger at Polita.

“For if we were to lose such a person as her. Even we cannot save you from judgment!”

“Hey, no threatening, Poli! If she’s so important to you all, why don’t you find someone similar and worship them?”

“... I’m afraid our conversation ends here, Ms.Clark. You may see yourself out.”

“Yeah. You’re right. It has ended. Thanks for the sponsor; tell the big pops I said thank you and hello!”

Clarice stood up, marching her way out of the church with Polita right behind. The halo above Polita changes from a white color to purple. She’d wave goodbye to the priest, who waved back in return.

Once the two made it outside, Clarice kicked a nearby trash can into a tree out of frustration. Polita almost let out a soft yelp, but the voice never truly manifested in the long run. Once Clarice calmed down, her gaze fell upon her bodyguard.

“Well, that was a partial success, don’t you think?”

Polita had the same smile, their halo changing from Purple to Green, and the mute would give a thumbs-up to the other.

“Seems we’ll have to do things another way if the Vatican doesn’t wanna give me their complete support. Still, got the energy to warp? I’d rather not have you take me across the planet and be out cold for days on end.”

Polita nodded her head, only to grab hold of Clarice’s arm. The two placed their heads together momentarily to speak correctly. A sort of telepathic communication, with the help of Lucifer's power, made it easy for Clarice to hear Polita. After a few seconds, they’d retract their heads from each other.

“Yeah, take me there. It should only be a state across… Not sure if you can pick up the location from memory.”

It took Polita a few minutes to muster up an image in her head of the place. A beeping noise occurred from the girl's suppressor and the two warped out of New York State to another destination. Clarice and her companion were off for now. After settling things with Starlight and now the Vatican, they were off to set other plans into motion.

2