Chapter 10 | Strategy
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Year 768 of the Journey Calendar, 7th of April, midday.

"Get them, get them!" shouted one man in the Ogoz who was going after the extra kills.

This happened in multiple places so the soldiers were shouting loudly, their momentum carrying them forward without much hesitation, and a morale that goes through the roof, the same was with the Vix's troops.

"About time you made it..." thought Farook as a small grin appeared on his face while he was shouting to the troops around to not back off, but to no avail.

A small distance away from the back of the Vix and the Ogoz's troops, a small-sized, barely noticeable cloud of dust was being kicked up, this was noticed by some of the men who stayed at the back and they were very alarmed by this, as most of these people were either strategists for the Vix or Ogoz, or they were some form of informant for their armies.

"What is causing this..." thought some of them, as they went to take a closer look.

"It's coming closer... this is not caused by the winds! It's most certainly enemy troops!".

"Who do they belong to though...!".

The same man who was the messenger of the Ogoz who carried a message to the Supreme Leader of the Vix, suddenly thought, "Hold up... The Vix told me that the Kai's cavalry and a few elite units were missing from their formation... Considering how many troops were missing, we, and even the troops, would have noticed their reinforcement from the side of the Kai to save their soldiers, but we haven't seen that yet, despite their grim situation... Could this possibly be...!".

As he looked closer, and the cloud of dust came closer, his suspicions grew, and he was instantly horrified!

"The Kai, they're definitely the Kai!" he shouted, his voice reaching the other informant officers that stayed at the back.

"F**k! We need to carry over this news as fast as you can! The Kai are approaching us from the back, and it's most of their elite units! Alert the units! Come with me!" he shouted to all officers, pointing with his last statement at one officer.

"Roger that!" replied the officer as he grabbed two of the horses who stayed at the back in case something went wrong. Both got on and dashed towards the battlefield, trying to inform the troops, specifically, Zenio!

However, as much as their horses were fast, they weren't warhorses, and couldn't match the speed of the incoming troops.

"We're going to have a bit of luck in this because we noticed them a bit early, luck is still on our side!" thought the messenger, as he was riding his horse as quickly as possible.

Meanwhile, Zenio fought at the frontline and backed off every so often, which seemed suspicious to Farook, who was already in anticipation of his troops' arrival.

Unknown to Farook, Zenio had already been informed about the missing units, but the only thing he knew about them was that they were missing, and expecting that they were underestimating the Vix, he naturally assumed that he will meet them at the front line of his troops and not at the back.

Three minutes later...

"Sir!" The messenger who was supposed to carry the news of the Kai troops, managed to reach Zenio who was still supposedly anticipating the arrival of the elite unit at the frontline of his troops.

"What's going on? Why are you so stressed? Did something happen?" asked Zenio, noticing the distress on his messenger.

"Yes, general! We've spotted troops flanking us, and they're most likely the missing Kai units!" replied the messenger.

"I was lucky to have arrived earlier, so we're still winning this battle, but we need to notify the army instantly! Otherwise we might very well be decimated and be left with an incalculable loss!".

"What'd you say?!" Zenio shouted, as he turned his head, and after looking a bit closer, he noticed the small-sized cloud of dust being kicked behind his back!

"These damn Kai!!!" he shouted with Fury, his voice barely reaching anybody, with all the shouts of the excited and hyperactive soldiers, he kicked his horse, and dashed towards the troops.

"Soldiers! Beware, for the Kai are behind our backs, beware! You must pay attention to both sides, soldiers!" he shouted, with all of his might, a bit of relief appeared on his face, as he shouted a few times again among the troops.

However, this relief was short-lived as an unexpected variable popped up, that he hadn't anticipated, their momentum!

"They aren't listening!!! No... rather they're blocking out all the noise because they're so focused on killing the Kai... No.. No...! Not now! Not now!" he thought, then continued to shout, "Soldiers! Attention! Men! The general is calling for your attention!" many drops of sweat appeared on Zenio's forehead by now.

Unbeknownst to Zenio, one of the main factors that was giving them victory a second ago, turned out to be the worst variable at the worst time!

Farook, who was trying his best to rally the troops who didn't know that support was coming from the flank of the Ogoz, noticed Zenio's distress, "Seems like he figured it out, but it seems that from his face, he can't get it through to his units, as they still haven't noticed our troops behind them, and they're still trying to kill us... What a stroke of luck!" he thought.

Farook didn't have to worry about the troops he was trying to rally, as most of them will notice when the flank happens, and that the tides of the battle turned in favor of them.

However, he still had to be careful, and backed off along with his running troops to match the tempo that they're running away with, so as to not face a wave of hyped up war veterans that were trying their best to score any kills. Even he, as the general, with decades of battle experience, wasn't so crazy to take these losing battles.

Seconds that seemed like hours for both Farook and Zenio kept passing, Farook waiting with anticipation for the arrival of his troops, and Zenio crumbling little by little under the stress, knowing the impending doom of his troops.

One minute passed, some Ogozian soldiers were trying to score as many kills as they could, but couldn't get many because they were at the back, relative to the current positioning of the troops, and were just running with the troops to increase their momentum even more.

One couldn't explain these irrational thoughts, some would like to accompany their troops on any winning occasion, even though it might seem like a bad decision or a completely useless one.

While they were following along with the troops, a subtle rumble spread around them, noticing it not because of the feeling, because it might've been the Ogoz's infantry stomping the ground hard, but rather, it was sound. The sound didn't come from the front, nor the left or right, but rather the back.

It also had a different beat to it, since there's a certain distinct sound about the steps of the cavalry that differentiated them from infantry, some soldiers started to turn their heads towards the back, though not many.

And to their dismay, they took notice of the cavalry at their back, however mistaken it to to be reinforcements, as they continued their stride.

However, this assumption was soon gone, as it seemed, these 'reinforcements' are going to stomp them down, and what confirmed that their assumptions were wrong, was them looking for Zenio, and finding him in distress, shouting to take cover from the troops at the back.

The first thing on the minds of some of the people who took notice was to try and notify the people around them, and while they had mild success with some of the people who were directly next to them, the amount was so little compared to the entire army.

However, as one man kept telling the others that were directly next to them, it spread through the army. It was very slow though, as many of the kill-chasers were too excited and had to be abruptly interrupted, and the amount of time to carry the message every single time they try to notify another man of what's happening. However, this effect slowly got less and less worse.

But to their misfortune, the progress was too slow at the start for it to have spread to at least 50% of the army by the time the Kai units have arrived.

At the same time, moving to the currently flanking Kai units.

"Remember, kill on sight, leave no man alive, however, when the situation has been settled, any leftover warriors that haven't die and have dropped their weapons and surrendered, take them as prisoners of war, and don't you dare harm any of them! We're not here to spill more blood, we're here to fight for our country's survival!" said the leader of the flanking units to the troops as they were moving.

This news was carried over to the infantry troops at the back who weren't as fast as warhorses for obvious reasons.

All of this had happened in the matter of two minutes, the Kai troops were now only a hundred meters away from the back of the Vix and the Ogoz's armies.

At this point, all that could've been done has been done, and it was all up to fate, experience and luck on how the battle would turn out.

Many thoughts were running through the minds of both sides, Farook had hopeful and optimistic sights.

Zenio's whole plan was collapsing right in front of his eyes and he couldn't even do anything about it.

The Vix & Ogoz troops who took notice had a rather hidden look of despair.

These two minutes felt like they took months on end for them to pass for those who were aware of what's happening, but it finally happened, the Kai troops have now clashed at the back of the battlefield.

"GET THEM!!!" shouted the leader of the cavalry units who were the first to arrive at the scene.

They began to slash the heads of the unaware enemies. Some of them survived because they were aware of what had happened, but the infantry were soon to also crash, so the cavalry didn't look back.

"Eh?" was the last thought of one soldier who caught the whiff of a spear behind his ears, and turned to his right to find the headless standing body of one of his allies, he had also followed right behind him after he took notice of what happened.

"Thank the lord..." thought Farook, as he caught the sight of the cavalry crashing with the back line, and a few other Kai infantry who were unaware of the flank, finally took notice and were the first ones to rally, placing pressure from the front and the back.

Farook had also began to fight alongside with the few men that finally started rallying, what was happening slowly spread through the retreating, frightened Kai troops, and now the momentum was finally on their side.

"Why are they fighting back?" thought some of the unaware front-liners, and the current state of the battle was spilled to them in the most unfortunate way.

The cavalry units by now had gone through most of the backline. There were a few hundred that had survived the onslaught, but were soon to be mowed over by the incoming, fully-energized infantry of the Kai who have now arrived.

Due to the flank, most of the cavalry unit of the Ogoz was decimated, leaving the Ogoz no chance to retaliate.

An hour had passed, and by now, most the Ogoz's troops were annihilated, and the battle was over by now.

A critical point in the battle was when the few hundreds that had survived, that might've stalled the infantry from coming to the support of the cavalry at the cost of their life, dropped their weapons, and raised their hands up in the air, signifying their complete surrender.

A unit of infantry stayed behind to place them in cuffs and shackles.

Zenio at this point in time was one the few surviving troops at the frontline, facing weapons from their fronts and back.

"Damned Kai!!!" were his last words as he collapsed on the ground, he wasn't dead, but he was too wounded to continue.

Being a little level-headed, the troops who were fighting him didn't go for the finisher, but rather placed him in cuffs.

This was the last critical point in time of the battle, and with the capture of their leader, this signified the complete defeat of the Ogoz and the Vix.

0