Chapter 18 : Breakthrough
384 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I remain stagnant at current level, I don't raise the number of minion for over a month. Fortunately, there is no threat.  We take the opportunity to train our fighting skills as well as research. 

We successfully developed guns. Rather than gun, it is actually a more archaic version of my previous world's musket. It uses gunpowder which is compressed into small round shaped bullets.

These muskets are ugly, looks like clubs. The good point is these muskets can be used as blunt melee weapons. It also can shoot 3 times before being reloaded. Although the muskets cannot reach the distance of short bow, they can hit accurately within 5 until 10 meters.

We are hiring the town's blacksmith to make the muskets. At the moment, we have 10 of these weapons.

Upon successfully developing the muskets, the research team has been studying with our druid to develop nutrient supply. 

After about a month of research and experimentation, the improved recipe of nutrient supply is successfully developed. When I hear the news from Yui, I immediately returned to the village.

When I arrive at the billage, I meet the director of the research team, Tesla in research house.

“I heard you finished it?” When I see the slim man, I hastily jump to the topic.

He looks at me in excitement as he quickly nods his head.

“We finished it – yesterday, we completed the trial process. It’s hard to believe we did it; we previously thought we were just improving on the recipe, but we somehow made a technological breakthrough in the live cell preparation field.”

“Technological breakthrough?” I take a moment to digest this before my face turns to shock.

In the medieval world we are living in, it was a feat to replicate the technology from my previous world, let alone make any technological breakthroughs. But now, Tesla tells me that the research team manage to do just that.

“That’s right.” Tesla nods in excitement. “Following your requirements, to compress the production cost and improve the nutrient supply, we chose to use seaweed discovered by Mei, that has the most yield and shortest growth cycle. But when we were in the process of induced differentiation of the seaweed cells, surprisingly, we created a new type of seaweed.”

“What is it?” I am drawn into it.

“A type of seaweed that can generate electricity!” Tesla says, ecstatic.

I am truly stunned.

Energy has always been  a critical priority in development, whether it is in this medieval world or the modern world. At the 21st century of my previous world, biological power generation was the research priority of the many countries before there was a miraculous breakthrough in nuclear fusion power generation and before the first space elevator was built. It was only then that Hydrogen-3 was continually collected to create the relatively cheap nuclear fusion battery. It cooled down the investment in biological power generation.

One gram of hydrogen fusion generation created an equivalent power equal to the complete combustion of 11.2 tons of standard coal along with preserving the environment. Such a massive amount of energy was leagues ahead of other types of power generation techniques. Because of this, although other power generation methods all possessed the theoretical potential to develop further, no one conducted more research.

But whether it was in this medieval world or in my previous modern world, renewable clean energy dominated the large market! Just like in the country I was in my previous life, since my area was designated as a tourist area, the coal-fired generation plant with relatively high pollution would not be built on the country. The country could only use the high cost and low-efficiency tidal power generation combined with solar power to meet the energy needs of the country.

But if this exist here, this place massive sea would provide us with an endless amount of energy! We would no longer need to worry about power.

It was certainly a pleasant surprise to make a breakthrough in biotechnology during the nutrient supply recipe development process. I am astonished.

“The seaweed cells during photosynthesis cause a special photographic effect, creating a trace amount of electricity within the content of the cell. Although the electricity of a single cell is negligible, it is substantial for an entire seaweed plant.” Tesla begins to explain the theory behind this type of seaweed. Although he explains it in simple terms, I am only interested in the last sentence.

“What’s the power generation amount per area?” I can’t help but ask.

“The current power generational efficiency is relatively low; it can only achieve 0.1 kilowatts per square meter. Most of the power is converted into heat, diffusing and increasing the temperature of the nearby water region, and there are also concerns about electricity diffusion under water. But with the prediction of the mathematical model, if all these problems are fixed, it would generate up to 1 kilowatt per square meter.”

“1 kilowatt per square meter!” I am again stunned.

If it were solar generation, 10 kilowatts of energy would require 40 panels with an area approximately equivalent to 64 square meters. Therefore, the energy generation would equate to 0.15 kilowatt per square meter! The “biological generator” used solar energy, but its electricity generation was 6.6 times better than traditional solar panels!

With the stunned look on my face, Tesla is relieved.

While the technology is yet to be completed, it isn’t a hard task to create it standing on top of the giant. Just like a math problem that couldn’t be done by an elementary student could easily be solved in high school. Another drawback is we yet to have any electrical items.

1