Chapter 12: Bridal Chorus
20 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It happened in an instant. One moment he was trying to reel his temper in and hopefully have a decent conversation with Leo, and then when he blinked, the man was suddenly up in flames.

V had no time to think. There was a fire in front. There was water below. The next thing he knew, he was free-falling with the Beta struggling in his grip.

When he opened his eyes, this is what welcomed him—his nearly-drowned and aching body, a soaked Beta, and an Alpha that had not spoken for three minutes.

Echo had been quiet since he asked what he was saving Leo from. V knew how unbelievable he sounds. People don’t spontaneously combust. Not like Leo did, at least.

Still, he saw what he saw. It was so lifelike he even felt the heat from the close distance. He didn’t know where he got the courage to grab a burning body and drag it with him but he had no regrets.

If there was anything he would apologize for, it was that the guy was still wearing his wet clothes. Why didn’t anyone get him to change? A towel was not enough. V should know because even under the heavy blanket, he was still cold.

He had to applaud his brother and their staff, though. He couldn’t appreciate more than at this moment how comfortable and soft the blankets and pillows were. It almost made him ignore the discomfort, making him drowsy.

When V thought that their allotted five minutes would end just like that, Echo finally spoke. “You’re having visions,” he stated with no room for argument.

V didn’t know what to say. Perhaps a, No, thank you. I’d rather not, would suffice.

As V was still trying to think of what to say, Leo couldn’t stop trembling by the Alpha’s side. Whether it was from the cold or something else, V doesn’t know, but he could see the clear shock in the Beta’s eyes.

He squinted, thinking, Am I the only one who doesn’t understand a single thing? He wanted to demand to let him in on their little secret but he was too tired. He needed to sleep more.

Alas, the Alpha wouldn’t heed to his request when Echo asked, “What else did you see?”

“That was it.” It was the truth. If he saw any more than that, he might have nightmares for a long time.

“Under normal circumstances, this wouldn’t be surprising. A lot of people get visions from time to time.”

So what’s the big deal? V didn’t have the energy left to talk.

“This, however, is far from normal. From our observation, you can touch other people’s fate. On top of that, you suddenly saw a vision. Any other person would’ve brushed it off as a coincidence but there’s no such thing as a—”

“Coincidence.” V had to interrupt him this time even though he doesn’t know where the conversation was going.

“And there’s one more discovery that makes you … special,” Echo added. “I was hesitating to tell you before but it doesn’t seem like an option now.”

V forced himself to sit up, curiosity piqued. “What is it?”

However, before the Alpha could answer, a knock came from the door.

Without even waiting to be told to come in, Arwan opened the door wide and strolled in saying, “Time’s up.”

V stared at his eldest brother’s overbearing face and felt that it was more annoying than usual.

“You have my number. Call me if you need me,” Echo said while standing up, way more casual than the rest of them. Understandable, since he was not directly involved.

When did he even get here?

He walked out the door with Leo at his heels. Before completely leaving, he turned around with a solemn face. “The offer still stands, V. I hope you think about it.”

With that, he left V with a ticking time bomb called Arwan who was for sure going to interrogate the poor Omega.

--

V didn’t come back even on the next day, earning the ire of his mother and other brothers. He made Arwan shoulder most of it, passing him the phone when they started asking the same questions over and over again.

He still felt weak but he'll be damned if he stays weak. With only his phone in hand, he went down and out, past the eyes of the security team his eldest brother tried to hide from him. Arwan knew that V wouldn’t like being monitored like this, but well-built men randomly standing in a relatively empty place was not exactly the best camouflage.

At first, he wanted to go to the garden, to be at peace and alone while surrounded by flowers and facing the sea. Remembering how the place was still charred from yesterday’s accident, he chose to wander instead.

V didn’t really have a destination in mind. He wouldn’t automatically be familiar with the place just because their family owned it. If anything, the renovations done after it was purchased made the castle a foreigner to him. But will that stop him?

Undeterred, the Omega let his feet lead the way. The old castle may be fancy now but the layout was still the same from his memories. He walked the other way whenever he heard someone passing by and somehow ended up in another lush garden.

It was bigger than the one near his suite, with more open space and fewer variations in plants and decorations. It was neater and obviously arranged with purpose; it was meant to hold a crowd.

V raised his eyebrows upon seeing an arbor weaved with rambling roses and jasmine standing somewhere in the middle. If the floral arch did not make it evident that the place was often used for weddings, then the white grand piano placed a few feet beside it certainly did.

Seeing this place reminded him of the forthcoming nuptials between Caoli and Mick. The thought brought him both joy and despondency. A wave of guilt surged through him upon realizing that he was sad—envious, even— because his best friend was starting a new chapter in her life while he was with no mate, no partner. He knew he should be nothing but supportive, but he couldn’t stop himself from asking why it couldn’t be him instead. He chased love for so long yet he could never catch up.

He brought his slender fingers to the piano and pressed the keys tentatively. The sounds were crisp and even, showing that it was kept in a good condition, courtesy of the events regularly held here.

V scanned the area to make sure no one was around before taking a seat on the cushioned stool. Even though his heart was heavy, his hands danced lightly on the black and white keys.

The opening tune was a child learning to walk, wobbly and stumbling. He was out of practice, bringing only the guitar when he moved out. In the beginning, he promised himself to fill his abode with instruments - keyboard, drums, violin, and many more - but the neighbors weren't so kind to a man singing his heart out. Thinking about the pile of noise complaint notice tucked in the corner of his apartment, he chuckled.

Once his clumsy fingers warmed up, it didn't take long for the notes to come in fast, piercing the air with melody. He switched from Chopin to Bach to Mozart, transitioning halfway from piece to piece.

After feeling a bit better, he decided to play the Bridal Chorus to mock himself for his moment of weakness. The venue was perfect, anyway. He pushed his chest, modulating his voice as he sang:

Here comes the bride

All dressed in white

Something flashed in his eyes and his fingertips turned weak, the tunes going softer, less passionate.

Oh how I wish

It was I, by your side

The harmony that was previously a storm became a drizzle. The song lost its vigor, leaking through a crack of vulnerability he didn't know he had.

Here comes the bride

Her smile so bright

If you hold my hand again

I won't let go

I'll hold it tight

The familiar melody changed into something unrecognizable. The thunderous chords were now soft whispers. It was gentle like the breeze calling a distant lover. A serenade for no one.

Here comes the bride

Bouquet a shade of blue

All these years

I loved you first

You never had a clue

So if you promise me

That you'll live happily

My love for thee

Will last; our past

I'll guard our memory

As I say goodbye

I sing this lullaby

This wedding bell

Farewell, my friend

My great love till the end

The music faded with sustain, hands unmoving atop the keys.

He let himself cry for a minute or two, tears freely falling down his face. When the sobbing hushed, he abruptly stood up and faced the wide but empty expanse.

"And scene." Facing an imaginary audience, he bowed low.

V tried to keep it in, he really did, but the ridiculousness of what he did hit him like an uppercut. His laughter was loud and boisterous.

He was fully enjoying himself, patting himself at the back for singing as if his first and unrequited love was being taken away from him. The stiffness in his body let loose with every cackle.

His laughter turned into chortles, and then into giggles, not knowing that some distance away, there was someone laughing along with him.

How many instruments do you think V can play?
Hint: a lot

Share your thoughts if you like it so far!

2