Chapter 13: The Live Stream
28 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Angelique was squatting against a wall next to Harper, shoulders shaking as their hands clasped their mouths. The model completely forgot about maintaining her image, the corner of her eyes pricked with tears from keeping her laughter in. Harper, to her credit, still managed to keep the hand that was holding the phone steady.

The camera was pointed at the Omega model but there was also someone else in the background. Silver-haired and with a good figure, the man stood laughing next to a white, grand piano, completely oblivious to the two onlookers and a thousand more online spectators.

Yes, the live stream was ongoing. Bullet comments fired up the screen in rapid succession.

[that was so funny lmao i thought it was real]

[i almost cried but it was fake. my whole life is a lie]

[is this real life or is this fantasy]

[i’m wheeZING he rly said AND SCENE]

[AND SCENE LMAOOO]

[why was he so dramatic lolol he even changed the song]

[i heard crying he so extra]

Harper was pleasantly surprised that her simple suggestion of live streaming while on a walk would lead to this encounter.

15 minutes earlier, she only wanted to show off the castle, to interact with the model’s fans since their job was delayed and they had nowhere to go.

Angelique, with her keen hearing, followed the sound of music. They moved quickly despite the shorter Beta taking two steps for every one of hers. Soon enough, they found the place where the music came from.

She recognized the pianist immediately. The exquisite face was unmistakable even if Angelique only saw it for a few minutes yesterday. He was still as beautiful with his head bowed and eyes focused, the air around him dignified yet lonesome.

Playful by nature, she pulled Harper down to squat against the wall instead of revealing themselves. She made a shushing gesture to both her assistant and the camera before pointing to the man.

The viewers’ curiosity was aroused by the sudden development.

[who’s that]

[i love u angelique marry me]

[are you playing hide and seek]

[it’s too far what are u looking at]

[like like like]

Angelique and her vague gestures only confused the viewers, but the two ladies giggled at themselves. They had a tacit understanding; they were waiting for something fun to happen.

The man did not disappoint when he stopped playing classical music and started with the familiar chords of a wedding march. The peeping toms looked at each with wide eyes when the man’s smooth and soulful tone carried the familiar lyrics.

“Holy shit,” Harper mouthed behind the camera, her usual harmless features warped in disbelief. 

Like them, the comments were also silent. If Angelique didn’t occasionally blink, the screen would’ve been suspected to be frozen.

The audience, both live and online, only snapped out of it when the melody and lyrics started deviating.

[huh]

[????]

[wait. Is that how it goes?]

[it wasn’t like that at my cousin’s wedding]

[? ? ?]

[by whose side now?]

The song turned mournful and the comments were even more fervent.

[i am not ready for this]

[i will NEVER be ready for this]

[hold it tight mf]

[stop stop no]

Angelique and Harper’s pupils were shaking. It was like they were hearing someone’s best-kept secret. Was it right to be hearing this? Should they turn the stream off?

[all these years i loved you first YOU NEVER HAD A CLUE]

[i’m not crying u are]

[whatt is this no no no]

[i love you FIRST]

[this is so painful]

[one-sided love suxx]

[i came out to have a good time and i’m honestly feeling so attacked right now]

[this should be illegal]

[ILL GUARD OUR MEMORY]

The song ended alongside everyone’s cries, the singer included. They didn’t have enough time to wallow in sadness before the man shouted, ‘AND SCENE,’ followed by a bow and laughter so cheerful it seemed unreal.

The audience was stunned for the second time.

The model and her assistant were still hiding by the wall, laughing at both the sudden sharp turn of events and themselves for being bamboozled. They didn’t even notice that the viewer count and comments were breaking Angelique’s personal records.

People were clamoring at each other, posting comments at breakneck speed. Some were playfully chiding at those that got swept away by the mood while others were vehemently denying they were moved. A large majority, on the other hand, was asking who the singer-slash-pianist was.

[idc if you cried i need to know who that guy is]

[his singing was so beautiful]

[name the little drama king]

[i am looking respectfully]

[the audience needs to know]

[why do i feel like the voice is so familiar]

Normally, the last comment would’ve been lost in the sea of messages, but because everyone kept a hawk-like gaze at the screen, it immediately caught the attention of everyone.

[poster above what do u mean]

[who is it]

[do you know? tell us now]

[guys chill im not sure but theres a streamer i follow that sounds like him]

[he doesn’t show his face tho]

[but i swear they sound the same]

With this revelation, the fans of the anonymous streamer came out one after another. Some redirected the curious folks to the streamer’s account directly. Others recounted the interaction they had and songs they heard. A small number got brave and even posted links to the recordings they took of past streams.

The streamer’s consistent refusal to show his face did not discourage people’s interest. In fact, it spurred them on even more. Like crows searching for crumbs, netizens began scouring for whatever hint or clue that could possibly reveal the person’s identity. Those who were unaware of Angelique’s live stream were shocked by the unexpected zeal; it was as if a corner of the internet was captivated by a spell. Afraid to be left out, they did their own digging.

Because of this, the account of streamer @Coffee5019Jam received a massive following and attention that would continue for weeks. The username would even trend with the hashtag #WhoIsCoffee5019Jam, #FreeCoffee5019Jam, and #AngeliqueStellaMysterySinger.

All the while the account owner continued strolling around Tala Hotel without a care in the world.

--

V rushed back to his room the moment his Mom sent a message to their family group chat. From the hotel kitchen all the way to his closed-off suite, his phone pinged continuously.

He didn’t want to look at the notifications, throwing the hot potato on the bed upon opening the door. As it bounced a few times, he caught a glimpse of the messages from [Boss 2], [Boss 3], [Boss 4], and [Big Boss]. With it landing face up, he saw a message that made his pulse speed up:

[We’re picking you up.]

The Omega paced back and forth, anxiety coating his every step.

His brothers were getting impatient yet he wasn’t confident that he could hide his nearly-drowning experience from them. They would have immediately noticed that his skin was pallid and his breathing was rough. If he got himself cornered, he wouldn’t be able to make it to Caoli’s wedding. If he missed the wedding, that would be another set of problems.

He could try to talk calmly with his family. Tell them what happened, what he saw.

Yes, he could. 

He would do that.

It’d be alright.

No.

It wouldn’t.

They would not listen to him. The reason wouldn’t matter to his family at all. It never did. It was the consequences that mattered. 

He would be locked up. He could already see it; none of them would be leaving the house for days. It wouldn’t be the first time they put him on house arrest, after all.

He couldn’t go home now. Not until he gets better, at least.

His hands were clammy, heartbeat thundering in his ears. Was it him or was the room getting smaller?

 It was definitely smaller. How did the walls get so close?

And why did it feel like he couldn’t breathe all of a sudden?

He stopped in his tracks.

Small tremors were running over his body.

Is that me? Am I shaking?

“V, I’m coming in.”

--

Echo was lost. As much as it pains him, he had to admit it.

One moment he was following Leo through twists and turns, and then the next moment, he was alone.

It would’ve been easier for him if he had his phone but perhaps this is what he gets for never riding the train until the ripe age of 30.

Was he by the entrance or by the exit?

People were walking both ways, it was hard to tell. The signs weren’t helping either. He saw a father and a daughter pass by, the little child surrounded by a thin, golden glow while the man was covered in flickering fragments of deep red.

The Alpha turned his head around and closed his eyes, hoping that if he was quick enough, he wouldn’t see anything. He knew it was futile, the image of the man crying as he received the diagnosis invaded his mind faster than he could blink.

This is why I don’t take the train.

There were always too many people, too many lives, too many fates. It made his stomach churn.

Thankfully, the restroom was nearby. He could at least wash his face with cold water or something.

Barely ten steps in and he caught sight of a figure crouching with his head down. Echo would’ve recognized the person not because of the 10 months spent watching him—no, but because the Omega was the only one without color.

What do you think of the book cover?
I put it together myself.
It ain't much but it's honest work.

2