Ch 68 – The Celestia’s Convoy
124 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Um, weren't we just discussing the urgency of leaving?" I interjected, attempting to redirect their focus.

Ultear suddenly seemed to snap back to reality, a realization dawning on her,
"Oh, you're absolutely right. The agents of Celestia are waiting for us. Just give me a moment."

With deliberate grace, Ultear positioned the cross before her.
Adorning the cross were seven sizable green gemstones, each one prominently set on its surface. The cross had elaborate detailing, with intricate runes and designs meticulously etched into its form. Even to an untrained eye like mine, it was evident that this cross was a mana-infused weapon, intricately linked to the unique ability she wielded—self-inflicted harm as a means of hunting down those assassins.

Her eyes became fixated upon her own cross.
Then, in a sudden burst of action, Ultear's hand clenched into a closed fist, and with astonishing force, she punched one of the gemstones. The punch caused the gem to shatter and crumble into fine dust, the remnants dissipating into the air.

"Is she still in her crazy state?" I whispered to my mother, unable to contain my amusement.

In a swift reaction, my mother quickly covered my mouth, her eyes wide with urgency, "Shut up! She might overhear you!"

In the next heartbeat, a faint yet unmistakable green luminescence enveloped Ultear's form.
Her injuries, inflicted only moments ago, began to mend at an astonishing pace. Deep gashes sealed shut, the contorted finger straightened and restored.
Even the little finger that had been torn off seemingly regrew.

Ultear stood before us, now fully restored except for the telltale stains of her own blood that still stuck on her clothing.

"Very well, we've spent enough time here. It's crucial that we get moving this instant," she declared with an authoritative tone.

We hastened to follow Ultear as she skillfully guided us out of the city, maintaining a hushed demeanor that matched the gravity of the situation.

Our path was briefly impeded by vigilant city guards, yet their initial suspicion turned to recognition upon seeing Ultear and greeted her with the utmost respect.

With an authoritative directive, Ultear instructed them to open the gates, granting passage for the Almond family. The guards swiftly complied, allowing the gates to swing open. However, prior to our departure, the guards retrieved the purple bracelets that had been clasped around our wrists throughout our ordeal. With their removal, our arms felt oddly lighter, the sensation akin to shedding an unwelcome burden.

Ultear led us down a winding dirt road through the dense woods. The darkness and moisture made the air feel heavy, and Ultear kept a watchful eye on our surroundings.

We were all aware that our enemies might be following us, so it was important that we be careful. Fortunately, the moon provided enough light to see where we were going.

For now, the woods were quiet and peaceful, and we could relax for a bit.

I moved closer to my mother, my eyes sharpening as I posed a question, "Mother, are you the daughter of a Viscount?"

Her initial reaction seemed a mix of surprise and a hint of sadness, the curve of her lips forming a bittersweet smile.
"Well, how can I put it... Your grandfather does hold the title of Viscount, one of the kingdom's high-ranking officials. Yet, he's displeased with me for leaving the family household behind. After the incident when I lost my mage abilities, he practically declared me dead, likely to spare the family from further disgrace, trying to salvage the remaining reputation," she explained, a glint of moisture glistening in her eyes.

A pang of guilt pricked at me for broaching this sensitive topic. I should somehow change the subject,
"Listen, your magical core has been healed now. I'm sure he’ll accept you eventually."

My mother quickly wiped her tears and tugged me in her arms,

“I'm not entirely certain about that, but I'd like to believe that perhaps, once he realizes how remarkable mage his grandson has become, he might find a reason to accept you,”

Abruptly, Ultear halted her steps and pivoted to face us.
Her voice cut through the air with a serious tone, "I regret shattering any illusions, but the Viper Fangs guild that attacked us is sponsored by the Boldigrio Household. It's mere intuition, but my instincts have rarely led me astray."

A veil of heaviness seemed to settle over us.
My mother's smile faltered, replaced by disbelief, "That can't be..."

Ultear's words only served to deepen the gloom that had descended upon us,
"I dislike casting a shadow on your hopes, but it's important to you to be aware that the Boldigrio household won't be extending an olive branch anytime soon." She turned her gaze to me, her expression solemn, "Now that your son has garnered considerable attention for being an exemplary candidate, they plan on quashing potential threats while they're still young. Had your son's ceremony result not attracted so much attention, they might have conveniently overlooked your existence,"

"Lady Ultear," my father shook his head, a quiet gesture to signal that it might be best to stop this conversation.

Tears welled up in my mother's eyes.
She valiantly attempted to muster a smile, her voice coming out weakly, "I suppose that settles it then," her words carrying a hint of vulnerability, as if on the verge of an emotional breakdown.

Ultear's breath escaped as a sigh, her hand tenderly patting my mother's head in a reassuring gesture.

"Listen, Beth," she began her voice, a blend of empathy and determination, "The family you have now, they're worth a hundred times more than the one you left behind. Hold onto them tightly, and appreciate their worth. I'm speaking so blunt so that you won't be tempted by any surface-level gestures or false reconciliations that the Boldigrio family might offer to tempt you."

My mother regarded Ultear with a solemn expression as if slowly coming to terms with the reality before her.

Ultear's words remained steadfast, her gaze resolute,
"Safeguarding your current family from being entrapped within the clutches of the Boldigrio household is of the utmost importance. To achieve this, it's important that you sever any lingering ties with the Boldigrio family forever. Neglecting to do so could inadvertently jeopardize the safety of your current family, particularly your son's life. You must do so until your son can stand on his own as a mage. I assume you have no desire to put your son's life at risk at your family squabble."

My mother's eyes held an unwavering determination,
"Absolutely not. I understand fully," she affirmed.

My father's hand found its place on my mother's shoulder, offering a tangible show of support.
She leaned onto his touch as the two hugged me in an Almond family embrace.

Ultear acknowledged the scene with a subtle nod, a faint smile gracing her lips.

"Um, I think it's likely that the Celestia agents must have ditched us and gone home already," I interjected, reminding them of our previous goal.

Currently, I have been info dumped with a lot of backstory of my mother that I can’t even try to digest all at once.
What was clear, however, was that my grandfather seemed to be far from an admirable figure, making life exceedingly difficult for my mother.

Amidst this swirl of thoughts, my primary concern remained our escape from the city, evading the clutches of the assassins.
The new ability I had discovered made me feel even more insecure than ever.

"Oh, you're absolutely right! Time is of the essence," Ultear chimed in, swiftly hoisting the metallic cross onto her shoulder, "We've gone past the meeting time, and I can only hope they won't cut my pay for this delay."

The urgency was palpable, and we hastened our steps to keep pace. My concerned father approached Ultear with an offer of assistance.

"If finances are a concern, I could certainly-" my father suggested.

Ultear's head shook with determination, a firm refusal on her lips,
"I can't accept money from Bethrina's – I mean Bethenny's – husband in this manner. Rest assured, my compensation has already been arranged in installments. Your worries are unfounded."

"Alright then," my father acknowledged with a nod.

We continued to tread deeper into the woods, our distance from the city growing with each step. The absence of pursuers provided a glimmer of relief in the midst of our predicament.

A sense of cautious optimism took root.

While Ultear possessed an undeniable and somewhat enigmatic power, the looming possibility of facing an entire army of assassins was a concern that couldn't be brushed aside. After all, even with her unusual and potent abilities, there was a limit to what she could achieve. The Viscount's elevated status suggested that they likely had the resources to assemble a formidable force without much trouble.

Ultear might be capable of confronting a dozen or even fifty mages on her own, but the thought of her battling an entire army was unsettling. Her unique skill, while powerful, had a troubling potential to turn against her, leaving her injured or incapacitated. My trust in Ultear's character was steadfast, yet I couldn't entirely rely on her strange abilities to safeguard us against such overwhelming odds.

I was also worried that Ultear might go bonkers any second and start attacking her own allies. I mean I have seen my share of bloodthirsty demons who loved killing, so I can tell Ultear surely loves the thrill of killing.

So I came to the conclusion that meeting the Celestia Agents and sending my parents somewhere safe should be the best plan so far.

After traversing the woods for several more minutes, we emerged onto an expanse of open plains. In the distance, a cluster of lights caught our attention, guiding us toward a specific location.

Ultear led us unerringly to the designated spot, where the Celestia Agents had established a modest camp. Four sturdy monster wagons were neatly stationed on the grassy terrain, the creatures within seemingly at rest. Around a crackling bonfire, several figures cloaked in white attire awaited with an air of serene anticipation.

Ultear's nonchalant demeanor led us smoothly into the midst of the Celestia camp as if we were merely old acquaintances joining their company for camping.

"Hey there, is dinner ready yet?" Ultear cheerfully waved her arm, a playful tone lacing her words. "I'm absolutely starving!"

The Almond family followed in Ultear's trail, adopting a more cautious approach.

Abruptly, a cloaked figure stepped forward, her voice laced with sternness, "You're late!"
Before us stood a middle-aged woman with a tanned complexion, her arms folded and a noticeable air of displeasure about her.

Ultear offered a dismissive shrug, her tone seemingly nonchalant,
"Late? Really? I'm pretty sure we still have time."

The stern woman's skepticism remained unshaken,
"Any more fibs, and I'll be docking your pay as a penalty – from 10% to 20%."

Ultear's expression turned to a pout, a sense of injustice evident in her demeanor,
"Come on, that's not fair!"

Yet, the woman stood resolute, her resolve unwavering.
Ultear, shoulders drooping, eventually conceded defeat. With her metallic cross in tow, she trudged away, dragging it along the ground and leaving deep gashes in her wake.

The tanned woman finally shifted her attention to us, her gaze focused and intense.

"Alright, this little guy must be Benjamin Almond. And you two must be his parents. I hope Ultear has informed you of our current predicament," she said with her voice holding an air of authority.

Then, her eyes turned to my mother, her tone carrying a hint of blame, "You, in part, are responsible for allowing this situation to escalate..."

My mother's head drooped with guilt, clearly affected by the woman's words.
My father stepped in, his voice firm yet gentle, "Hold on now, it's not entirely her fault. Blaming her won't help this situation."

The cloaked woman raised her palm, a silent signal for my father to stop,
"I've heard enough excuses for today. Consider yourselves fortunate that one of our informants provided us with crucial information about the impending attack on your son. Our swift decision to dispatch an elite mage to protect you is what saved both your lives."

My father's retort was silenced by the woman's stern demeanor. He couldn’t argue with the woman who saved our lives just now.

The tanned woman, who appeared to be in her forties, was undoubtedly affiliated with Celestia Mercy, donning the distinctive white cloaks and attire.

She continued, "Regardless, we will be escorting your son to the Royal Academy of Celestia immediately. By now, you should have received the letter prepared by Grandmaster Casia herself."

The woman gestured towards the letter tucked in my vest pocket.

"Yes, indeed," my mother responded.

"Excellent," the cloaked woman acknowledged.
"We are moving out now. I have arranged for a wagon to transport the both of you to a safe house. There, you can wait until the situation cools down and I will relay further instruction through Ultear,"

With her clap, the other cloaked figures sprung into action, bustling around as they readied themselves to depart.

The sound seemed to be the cue they were waiting for. They all hustled, gathering their gear and packing their supplies back into the wagon.

My attention was drawn to a small group of individuals, distinct from the Celestia members due to their varied weapons and armor.
It was clear they weren't part of the usual group. They stood guard around the campsite, watchful and vigilant. I guessed they were Ultear's associates as she seemed to be having a lively conversation with some of those folks and they also seemed close. Even though Ultear was usually composed, she seemed to be in a sour mood, venting her frustrations to her companions while glancing at the cloaked woman from time to time.

Pretty sure she was badmouthing her employer.

My mother's face revealed her concern,
"Ma'am, is it absolutely necessary for us to leave right now? Wouldn't it be wiser to wait until daylight? We could have better visibility and avoid any unforeseen dangers. Maybe waiting until morning-"

The woman in the cloak regarded my mother with a mix of surprise and authority,
"I don't need you questioning my decisions after all I've done to ensure your safety. The darkness of night gives us an advantage, a chance to slip away unnoticed. Daylight travel would expose us needlessly and make us vulnerable. If your priority is staying alive, then we must move now, utilizing the cover of night. Any further discussion is wasting time we can't afford."

My mother seemed disheartened, unable to press her point any further. She stayed quiet, gripping my shoulder tightly for comfort. The tanned woman appeared to sense her concerns.

With a softer tone this time, she conveyed, "You've got a few minutes to bid your farewells to your son. After that, our paths diverge. Trust Ultear's instructions completely if you wish to make it through. Your child's safety is assured – he will be taken care of at the academy. Until then, goodbye." With those words, she turned and walked away.

I guess the lady wasn’t really that heartless, I guess.

Thanks for reading as always.
Have a Nice Day.

6