Chapter 31 | The Precipice of Sweet Remembrance
425 2 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Now Entering the Unique Dungeon of Sweet Remembrance

The ambiance changed immediately upon entering the dungeon. While outside of it, the air was a brisk chill, within the confines of the tunnel of roots was a more... Naturey feel? It was certainly hard to explain, but the feeling was bizarre as I could feel the ambient life all around us. It was peculiar. The roots that adorned the entire tunnel were literally shimmering with magic though, and I could only wonder at the true nature of the tree above us. Hopefully, it didn't turn out to be some sort of glorified Venus Fly Trap and we were just happening to walk right into its gut.

I doubted it though. After all, it was established as an entrance to a dungeon by the system.

The tunnel was only about thirty feet long, which was still rather remarkable considering the nature of the tunnel. Ahead of us, the tunnel appeared to open unto a large, and natural-looking cavern, illuminated by strange glowing lines that snaked through the entirety of the space. As we entered the cavern, we noted the presence of several branching shafts in various locations, mostly hidden by the overabundance of vegetation crowding along almost any open space available.

The cavern was much larger than we anticipated, being about half the size of a football field. The vegetation made it appear almost like some sort of underground jungle. All three of us couldn't help but to hesitate in utter amazement as our mouths laid agape by the sight in front of us.

We stayed like that until suddenly, Kevin fell to the ground and started to be dragged away by some sort of vine originating behind a cluster of bushes and jungle trees. Alex moved quickly as he jumped forward and grabbed hold of Kevin's arms, straining against the pull of the vine. Despite its appearances, it was much stronger than a plant had any right to be. Alex's efforts proved crucial as he stopped the force of the vine, halting it in its pull of Kevin.

Taking the opportunity, I pulled my sword out and quickly slashed forward, cutting the vine just a few inches from Kevin's entangled foot.

Suddenly a shrill scream was heard from the cluster of vegetation from which the assaulting vine had originated. It was at that moment when we caught sight of the culprit, as a three-foot-tall humanoid-looking plant monster slowly trudged forward from its hiding place. The thing had three, long, vinelike tentacles emerging from each of its arms. The central vine of which was thicker than the other two and capped with what looked like a rose sprout, except it looked much, much harder. I figured that if any of us was impaled by the thing, it would deal quite a bit of damage.

The tentacle-like arms connected to what was largely a humanoid body, with feet that looked more like stumps than a traditional foot, and a head capped with a large three-leafed flower with an orangish hue. It would have almost been beautiful had it not been for what looked like some sort of plant tongue that was surely designed to impale and drag prey into its waiting maw.

Its advance was fairly lethargic, and after losing its sense of surprise, it appeared to be largely at a disadvantage considering it was the three of us against the plant-like monster.

Taking the opportunity, I focused on the beast and used [appraisal].

Name: Mordremic Flesh-Eating Floweroid

Level: 5

Health: 79/84

Info: A Mordremic Flesh-Eating Floweroid, creations of the ancient jungle beast Mordrema. This particular Mordremic Flesh-Eating Floweroid prowls among the first precipices of the Dungeon of Sweet Remembrance, marking a stark reminder of a time long-sense forgotten.

"A Mordremic Flesh-Eating Floweroid", I announced just as Alex was helping Kevin up. Even though I figured the meaning of the name likely meant nothing to Alex, perhaps Kevin could attain some usefulness from the proclamation. Regardless though, all three of us were looking at our assailant as it slowly approached.

The info piece on the new monster seemed to give a few hints as to the nature of the dungeon itself as well, in addition to the monster. Our surroundings only seemed to solidify my thoughts on the additional theme. It was quite clear we were in some sort of plant-based dungeon, the title of which also wasn't just some sort of theatrical name. No, it appeared that the dungeon may also bear host to quite a number of monsters that even Kevin and I have likely never encountered within Holy Arc Online.

Just like the [Treant], plant-based monsters were largely susceptible to fire, meaning that if anything, I ought to utilize fire mana. Granted, the only concern might be burning down half of the forest around us. So, I'd have to be careful.

Alex and Kevin both were wielded with their new weapons and looked as though they'd be quite capable of defending themselves.

"Guys, I'll provide support, you two go ahead and attack. It doesn't seem too dangerous, so we can use this as a sort of test-run!" I yelled out.

The sound of my voice seemed to cause a reaction in the monster though, as it began to speed up, closing the distance between it and our group.

Reaching inward, I began to pull at the mana circulating around my core. It was still remarkably interesting to feel the mana pulsate inside of me. Almost entirely like a new sense, which, I guess wasn't too far off the mark.

I began to channel and feel the mana through my mana network. In the back of my mind, I was almost prepared for a sense of sharp pain, but it failed to materialize, and the mana went through without issue. I guess the trauma of overtaxing my mana networks was still quite present. On the contrary, instead of hurting, it almost seemed like the mana was going through even smoother than before.

Do mana networks work like some type of muscle then? Or perhaps it is simply the level increase in my skill since the fight with the [Treant].

Regardless, I wasn't going to ignore a positive when it presented itself, so while continuing to channel the mana, I held out my arms in front of me with my palms facing forward and began to channel the mana in that direction. Let's try about thirty points of mana worth then. I thought.

Almost immediately a small ball of fire began to well up in between my outstretched hands and coalesced into what was about the size of a tennis ball. Directing my focus, I launched the ball forward, towards the Floweroid, just as Alex and Kevin began to flank the beast from both sides.

The ball of fire sailed between the two of them and just as it was about to impact the floweroid, the monster reacted. Within a fraction of a second, the five remaining tentacles moved in front of its face, blocking the path of the ball of fire as it impacted against their surface. Immediately a small, fiery, explosion erupted from the impact site, and as soon as the smoke cleared, the damage was obvious.

Missing from the beast were clearly an additional two tentacles, including one of the more massive central ones, sacrificed to keep the explosion from enveloping the core of its body. Evidently, the beast had some measure of intelligence, which was impressive in and of itself. Granted, having a sense of self-preservation wasn't exactly a unique quality.

The beast, having noticed its new lack of two more of its tentacles let out a shrill screech.

SCRRRrrreeeeee!

And suddenly, I had a terrible feeling about our situation. Rustling was heard from pretty much every direction except back through the way we came.

"Alex, Kevin, take care of it NOW!" I screamed out.

In almost immediate understanding, their blades both bisected the plant beast despite its efforts to defend itself. Its last act of screeching for help had caused it to lower its guard, leading to its death. I had the feeling this was certainly not going to be the end of this though.

Level 5 [Mordremic Flesh-Eating Floweroid] was defeated with the help of others.

10 experience points received.

271.36 / 381.65 experience points until Level 9

 

Its death gave us a few seconds of respite before we would be forced to turn our attention on the beasts that the floweroid had signaled. Alex and Kevin immediately retreated and joined me back towards the mouth of the cave entrance.

Readying ourselves, we were greeted by half a dozen more of the [Mordremic Flesh-Eating Floweroid]'s moving into our small clearing.

Now, this is more like it, I thought. I wasn't too concerned about the dangers these monsters presented, at least, as evidenced by the first floweroid we encountered.

So, without a word between the three of us, I resumed a supporting position, while Alex and Kevin advanced forward, ready to take out any of the Floweroid's that ventured too close.

Once again, I began to cycle more mana through my mana network and into my palms. It was getting progressively easier as I performed the act. As such, it only took a few additional seconds before I had another fireball ready. I launched one towards the closest of the six Floweroid's.

Once again, and with a similar reaction to the first Floweroid, the monster maneuvered its tentacles forward to block the fireball. It once again impacted and the Floweroid was rewarded with several mangled vines. It was noticeably slower after being impacted as well.

It seemed that the Floweroids didn't have the agility to dodge attacks. As such, they were forced to tank them instead. The fire, anyhow, seemed to prove too much for some of their defenses, as such I conjured an additional fireball in a matter of a few seconds and once again launched it at the Floweroid I had just targeted.

The ball of fire whizzed by, and closed the distance between us in the blink of an eye, exploding through the paltry defense the Floweroid attempted to erect. This time, the explosion blew past the remaining tentacles and impacted its head. The Floweroid closed the leaves making up its mouth in order to protect itself, but it was too late, as it almost instantly erupted in flames, and a shrill, albeit deafened, screech was heard before it fell to the ground, smoking.

Level 6 [Mordremic Flesh-Eating Floweroid] defeated.

40 experience points received.

311.36 / 381.65 experience points until Level 9

The other five that were left were clearly enraged by the death of one of their own, and despite their slow gait, they quickened their efforts to close the distance.

"Alright guys, now or never!" I yelled out to both Kevin and Alex.

Alex nodded, "I'll take the one on the far left if you take the one next to it Kevin!"

"Just don't get yourself hurt," Kevin laughed in turn.

Smiling, I continued my efforts by conjuring another fireball, this time, while glancing through my stats, I noticed that my mana levels were still at a fairly comfortable level: Mana 292/320 [350] ( +51 / hour )

As such, I pumped in about thirty additional points of mana into my fireball this time. It immediately began to balloon until it was near twice the size it was before, about a quarter the size of a volleyball.

I launched it towards the next closest Floweroid that wasn't being targeted by either Kevin or Alex. This happened to be the one that was located right in the middle. The last two were situated on the flanks of the one I was targeting, just a few steps behind it.

Focusing on the ball of fire once again, I launched it towards the central Floweroid. This time, something interesting happened. I knew that the added power of the fireball would likely take it out regardless of what it did, however, I did not expect the other two, adjacent Floweroids to also get involved and attempt to shield their ally.

As such, what instead happened were the tentacles of the other two Floweroids also being extended in addition to the central one's efforts. They once again formed a shield of vines, and despite the fireball's increased power, it failed to break through their reinforced defenses. Nonetheless, despite their success, it didn't nullify the impact of such a powerful unstructured spell, and the central Floweroid was still blown backward. Remarkable, its feet still remained connected to the ground, rooted in place, and as such, the upper half of the monster disconnected and was flown nearly a dozen feet behind where it had originally made its valiant stand.

With the monster practically incapacitated, I focused my remaining attention on the other two, damaged, yet still threatening plant creatures. I decided at this point I was more curious about the potency of my sword rather than casting more fireballs at the monsters.

I turned to the side slightly and looked over at Kevin and Alex. Kevin had already managed to slay his target, and it was currently a pile of discarded scraps on the ground. Alex on the other hand was still engaged with his Floweroid, and in fact, looked as though he was struggling a bit. Kevin looked towards me, and I nodded, indicating that he should move to help Alex out.

Understanding my intent, he rushed over to Alex, and I turned back around. The two remaining Floweroids had advanced until they were within proximity of my sword. With them only being about ten feet away, I rushed forward. Almost just as quickly as I had moved forward, their remaining tentacles lashed ahead of themselves and towards me, I leaned back, dodging the first two tentacles, and immediately lifted my feet off the ground and rolled through the air, effectively dodging two additional tentacles that had moved to grab my feet.

I landed in a crouching position and twirled to face my two opponents. I was actually surprised at myself. The maneuver I had just performed was something I had seen plenty of times in movies or even video games, but I had never done anything like that before in my life. I was never exactly in shape enough to execute an act like that. Now though? It seemed that my physical increases in agility and strength were helping with the finer points of my motor control.

Once again though, one of the Floweroids lashed out, this time with their thicker tentacles that were clearly designed to make an impact. Time seemed to slow slightly as my adrenaline began to pump quicker, and my primary reaction was to swing my sword and place it at an angle to block the attack. I was rewarded as I deflected the intended blow to my side, as such, I capitalized on the now off-balanced Floweroid, and, while swinging my sword back up and down, severed its arm from the rest of its body.

At this point, I was beginning to receive notifications, but I ignored them.

In reaction to my counterattack though, the Floweroid immediately pulled back and let out an additional shriek. I didn't let it distract me, as I noticed that the Floweroid that had been on the right had maneuvered behind me and was going all-in on its next attack.

With its remaining tentacles, it thrust its arms forward seeking to impale me from behind. However, once again, my agility proved its usefulness as I narrowly dodged the strike by adjusting my body slightly to the side, and subsequently felt the wind its attack caused brushed against my side.

I glared at the beast, and, with all of its tentacles currently being outstretch behind me, I took the moment to swing my sword around and sever its flowery head from its neck. As soon as my sword passed through, the head flew off, and the rest of the body immediately spasmed and went limp.

Turning my attention on the other Floweroid that was still attempting to recover from its detached appendages, I jumped forward and thrust my sword through its mouth. I was rewarded with a satisfying thwimp as my weapon exited from the other side of its head.

Similar to its comrade, this floweroid also slumped down as the life left its body.

Without further ado, I turned around, and, noting that Kevin and Alex had finished their opponents, subsequently advanced on the Floweroid I had targeted with my fireball earlier in the fight.

It was still plenty alive, albeit quite weakened. It was currently trying to crawl away from me, dragging itself with its tentacles.

It was a bizarre reaction, as I wouldn't have expected a monster to actually flee from a fight, but here it was, doing exactly that. Ignoring its obvious plight, however, I decided that I might as well be rewarded with my efforts and gain some more experience points. After all, I was sure once the fight concluded I would be rewarded with another level up.

So, without mercy, and once I caught up to the fleeing monster, I once again gripped my sword and shoved the blade through its skull. Or at least, whatever structure counted for its head.

With satisfaction, I watched as this final Floweroid also drooped and wilted into a lifeless state.

16