Chapter 16
1.6k 18 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I feel the need to put in this edit for new readers: Erik is far from perfect. He needs to learn a lot of stuff and will make some bad or careless decisions, like not spending Favour for stat-points because it felt unpleasant when he first tried it. But Erik isn't stupid either and learns from those mistakes, mostly. Can't cure carelesness or a lack of knowledge overnight.

Yrret was not like the previous two. Those had been a beginner and a regular Marauder while Yrret could be considered an elite Marauder. Erik had 3 major things against him when facing Yrret.

Experience, armour and a shield. The experience was largely mitigated by Erik’s 200 Proficiency, making them roughly equally matched in skill. However, Erik’s Greatsword was ill suited for dealing with an armoured opponent.

The steel plates made cuts and slashes lose their effectiveness, only causing bruises to the body underneath. The tip could potentially be used to penetrate the gaps in the plate armour by stabbing into the unprotected joints, but this required an opportunity. And the shield made these opportunities rare and incredibly difficult to exploit.

‘The shield has to go first, otherwise I simply can’t get to him.’ –That was Erik’s first plan.

‘And considering the difference in armour between us, I should be able to drain his stamina if I don’t let him crowd around and control me movement.’ – Erik was wearing only medium armour that weighed considerably less than Yrret’s full plated armour. He hoped to exploit the difference in stamina exertion to gain an advantage over time.

‘The problem is that he knows this too and will try to settle this quickly by rushing me… is what I would do if I were him…’ – Logically speaking, Yrret should know the weakness of his own equipment and act to minimise this by aggressively pressuring Erik.

Wearing such heavy armour, Yrret could almost neglect all defence in favour of a continuous, reckless attack. And Erik felt like he was David facing Goliath, except this time Goliath wouldn’t go down from a single stone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the drums started beating, Erik jumped across from the tower to the stage. And as expected, using the jump as an initial boost, Yrret came barrelling towards him with his sword raised high.

Erik also ran towards him, both hands on the Greatsword but keeping the blade low and pointing behind him. When they were within reach of each other however, Erik did not meet Yrret’s blade head on and instead made a dive-roll, dodging under his opponent’s swordarm and coming up behind him.

Moving his right hand towards the pommel of the sword, Erik moved his left hand up the blade where he had blunted a part of the edge and wrapped it in leather to create a ricasso. This way the Greatsword could now be wielded like a short spear, improving the manoeuvrability of the sword due to reduced inertia when swinging and increasing the accuracy when stabbing.

And as Yrret tried to turn around, Erik tried to stab the back of his knee to bring the steel Goliath down in one fell swoop.

But suddenly Yrret increased his movement in an inhuman manner. One moment facing his back towards Erik, knee open for attack, the next, Erik’s sword was met with the solid steel of front-facing greaves as the fighters now stood face-to-face once more. A wisp of pale purple mist oozing out between the plates of his armour.

Upon seeing this, Erik’s mind felt numb.

“You’ve made a pact with a Daemon of Slaanesh!” –He softly muttered, loud enough for Yrret to hear but not for those standing below the stage.

Within  the open faced helmet, Yrret now showed a savage smile as he confirmed Erik’s statement.

“Why yes, when I saw you being led away by Sven and coming back out with Sigrun, I decided to accept his offer.”

And as he continued talking, Yrret started swinging his blade again, forcing Erik to step back and dodge.

“You see, I tried to court her once but was rebuffed. I was very sincere you know, especially considering I am the most promising of ALL Marauders. She shouldn’t have had any reason to refuse! To refuse ME!

Another swing, Erik dodged again but this time Yrret swung his shield in a follow up, catching Erik full on the side and blowing him across the platform. Still, Yrret continued talking as if none of this really mattered or was a foregone conclusion.

“Just a nice face and a good pair of tits, and she thinks she’s too good for ME? When I take your head off, do you think she’ll cry? I would like that!”

Before Erik could get up, Yrret once again moved incredibly quickly and more purple mist spread out, more visible this time. No, it wasn’t really moving, Yrret seemed to blink next to Erik from across the stage. And without pause, he slashed down at the half-kneeling Erik.

“Argh!”

A large gash opened up on his back, the leather armour parting like paper as Erik started bleeding profusely.

Not satisfied, Yrret continued attacking, opening wound after wound on Erik’s body. He could have finished it already, but Yrret seemed determined to inflict as much pain and torture as possible on Erik.

Then Yrret stabbed his sword deep into Erik’s thigh and leaned in close, whispering in his ear.

“Hey, hey, how long do you think she’ll continue crying when I mount her tonight?”

He paused to look Erik in the eye and seeing Erik’s eyes full of hatred, he chuckled before casually continuing.

I don’t think she’ll struggle much actually. After all, she gets to be pleasured by ME!”

Drawing out the blade and throwing Erik flat on his back, Yrret stomped on his chest, hard enough to crack ribs but not enough to shatter them. Fully intent on inflicting as much pain as possible.

 “Though of course, I’ll first need to get her alone tonight first before bringing her to MY bed. Meh, bribing a servant should do it.”

Grabbing him by the throat, Yrret started talking about what he intended to do with Sigrun later tha evening and the days after.

“Sadly she’s used goods by now, right? You’re a man too after all. A shame. A shame because it means she’ll only be worth that much then.

I will just use her till I get bored of her before throwing her to those shit-shovelling thralls… No, I don’t like sharing something of mine with those things.

Would the hounds perhaps like her? When I am done with her, she’ll have become a nice, obedient bitch so I guess she wouldn’t mind? Hehehe.”

All this time Yrret had been talking in low voices so only Erik could hear. He wasn’t just physically torturing him, but also inflicting psychological torment.

At this time, Erik was consumed in an all-consuming rage. His eyes bulging from their sockets as he wished to rip Yrret’s throat out, consume his heart and shit in the hole it left. But alas, while his rage was all-encompassing, it was impotent.

Bleeding all over his body and drawing shallow breaths that pushed against his fractured ribs, Erik lay powerless.

“Good, good! I like the look in your eyes! Hate ME, envy ME! Feed ME with more power!”

For a split second, Erik regained a bit of clarity and in that moment he spent all his Khornite Favour for STR stats, spending 90 out of 163 Favour to instantly go to 30 STR before being unable to purchase more. He used the trump card he had prepared.

Feeling an incredible surge of power infuse his limbs, Erik sprung up with a roar. Pushing Yrret off of him, he started wailing his Greatsword in powerful swings, connecting with Yrret’s armour and showering them in sparks.

*Thud, cling, thud, thud, clang!

Surprised by the sudden increase in power, Yrret was slow to react and allowed Erik to hit him rapidly and multiple times in succession, even forcing him back a few steps.

However, the incredulity was quickly replaced with anger as the two continued their fight in earnest. They exchanged mighty blows, hacking, slashing and crushing as they went.

But Erik’s wounds were to grave and he had lost too much blood so he was once more steadily suppressed by Yrret. He wasn’t unscathed either, with large parts of his armour dented in or torn away, Yrret now also bled from multiple large cuts on the exposed areas.

Determined to end it this time, Yrret swung his shield. Erik dodged, but before he could recover, Yrret blinked once more to the side, cut off Erik’s right arm at the shoulder and stabbed him straight through the chest, blood dripping from the blade on both sides of Erik’s torso.

*Thud – squelch

“There, just go lie there and die!” –Yrret said as he used his foot to kick Erik off the blade.

Erik’s body, completely broken, slumped to the ground as his vision began to darken.

He was unresigned. What the hell was this?! He didn’t want to die! Not a second time after only enjoying this new life for 9 weeks!

But he simply could not move. Erik could only vaguely distinguish Yrret’s shadowy figure as he posed in victory.

In a desperate but futile attempt at final resistance, Erik raised his remaining hand. And touched a sudden notification.

~Bleep! –Player Erik earned Favour! Nurgle, God of Perseverance, admires your desperate struggle before death!

~Bleep! – Player Erik meets all requirements; increase all Player stats to 30 by spending accumulated Favour?

Not understanding what showed up in front of him, Erik swiped at the blue box.

~Bleep! – Spending Favour to increase all stats to 30!

~Bleep! – Transaction completed, stats raised!

~Bleep! – Player Erik has reached 30 stats in all relevant categories, unlocking additional features. Favour can now be spent at a higher ratio for stat points or for boons from your chosen deity or patron.

Erik had stopped listening to the continuously ringing notifications. In fact, he couldn’t hear anything at all over the sound of blood rushing through his veins, flesh and muscle repeatedly mending & tearing while his bones audibly cracked & popped. And a bestial desire for blood tried to bury his rationale as a beastly roar escaped from his throat.

39