CHAPTER 1 A RUNAWAY VILLAINESS
764 7 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I’ve always wanted to live up to my family’s expectations. Both in this life and my last one.

“Mother, Father, I’m sorry for all the trouble I’ve caused.”

But, it looks like even in this life I end up being such a disappointment.

“No, there is nothing to forgive.” Father was a always a man of few words. He was stern on himself as well as on others. The look in his eyes were so gentle as he lightly caressed my head. I wonder how long it’s been since he’s treated me like a child like this. It makes fighting my tears all the more harder. And this parting all the more sorrowful.

My mother tried hard to keep her tears in as well but, she couldn’t hold it in for long. No matter how many times she rubs it away, the tears just kept flowing. Mother embraced me as tight as she could, not wanting to let her baby go. Through her sobs she gently whispers in my ear, “You’re a good girl, Violet. May we meet again.”

I wanted to say so much more. I wanted to say how grateful and proud I am to have such loving parents. I wanted to tell them that it’ll be alright. That everything will work out just fine. But the pain and fear kept piling up and all I could do was cry in my mother’s arms.

A royal knight abruptly ended our farewells and urged me inside the carriage. As the carriage darted on its way, all I could do to pass the time was stare at the passing scenery. And think.

Replaying it over and over again in my mind. On how this plan will go. On how this may very likely be my last chance to escape. My rigged trial will begin soon and with it my likely execution. But I will not go down without a fight.

It’s been almost an hour since we left our mansion. We’re almost at the halfway point of this journey. And just the beginning of mine.

 The carriage came to a sudden halt. The clanging of swords could be heard from my seat. And in this instant I knew it was time. I peered half of my body through the window and saw the knights engaging in battle with several Dovaboars and Cryawolves that had blocked the path. Both of which were Class A monsters in the area.

The plan in itself was risky. An aggravile potion would be “accidentally” dropped by a merchant at the halfway point who had traversed this road, half an hour before we arrived. In that time, monsters attracted to the smell would gather to block our path and distract the knights. Father had warned me of the danger I would be dragging myself into. But I’m no stranger to battle and this would give me just enough time to make my escape.

While almost all the knights were in the front battling the monsters, in the rear end of this fiasco, a single knight remained stationed by my side. To protect me, his eyes were vigilant for anything that might sprout out from the forest. How commendable. But with his back facing the carriage, he hadn’t even noticed that I had gotten out.

As he was about to turn around, I had given him a full roundhouse kick to the head; knocking him unconscious. I dragged his body inside the carriage, just in case. It would be pitiful if he gets attacked by a monster while unconscious.

 While the other knights were still busy, I stealthily stole a horse and began to ride towards the North Eastern Harbour. Waiting there for me was my most trusted maid, Lizzie. Everything was already prepared for my escape. The only thing I needed to do was survive.

My only allies were my family. I may not have won the lottery for a good ending but, I obtained a loving family.

“Mistress! I knew you’d make it!”

And that was all I could ever ask for.

12