Author’s Afterword
463 14 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As you might expect, this is a very personal story for me.  What you might not know is how long it was unfinished.

I wrote the first twenty or so chapters back in 2018.  The whole story was plotted out, but I got stalled about the same time that Cayley's "true" identity was unmasked.  I left the story with her in her room, unwilling to let anyone see her.  She was at her lowest point, and I could not write her out of it.

The reason I couldn't was because I hadn't experienced getting out of it myself.  I was at my lowest point, hating myself and feeling completely unworthy of love and acceptance.  How could I give my character something I couldn't find for myself?

Three years later, I was in a better place, and found it far easier than I'd ever hoped to finish the story.  It was a slightly different ending than I'd plotted out before, but it was the right ending, one I couldn't have written three years ago.

I debated with myself how I should end the story.  There was the ending you've just read, but also two others.  In one, there was no physical change to Cayley's body; in the other, the change was left ambiguous.  Any of these, I think, would have been a suitable way to end the story.

Why did I choose the one I did? Because I could.  Because I, as the author, could give my character the happy ending she wanted, even if such an ending is impossible in the real world.  I can live vicariously through Cayley, even if that same outcome is not possible for me.

I hope you enjoyed this story.  I certainly enjoyed writing it, and maybe some day I'll explore some further adventures set in this universe.  Thank you all for reading!

24