Chapter 61 – Appraisal and Negotiations
372 0 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 61 - Appraisal and Negotiations


A new day began for Vlad after having a good sleep time. He exited from the wooden house while not disturbing Robert and Aerius, then went to wash by the water stream. On his way towards the water stream, he turned to look at the new building close to his own, the little orphanage that he built yesterday.

Calmly he walked towards the water stream and chose a deeper point he created inside the stream's path to wash, where he could submerge himself a bit deeper.

He felt the weakness of the flowing water, but it wasn't something that would drop him on the ground. His body was only half-submerged in the flowing water. Sensing and feeling that weakness was peculiar for Vlad whenever he washed by the water stream. It felt like he was back in his first life body, old and weak.

Thirty minutes passed quickly for Vlad, who was enjoying himself in a morning chill bath. Some more minutes passed for Vlad, feeling refreshed from head to toes. Then he heard footsteps moving in proximity to the houses.

Not knowing who could be coming to his house at this early hour, he quickly exited the water stream and began putting some clothes on his chiseled body.

Taking a bottom-down white shirt which he left open, and some casual black trousers, he walked to welcome the visitor. As he approached the house, he saw that in fact, it was Sofiya who held a full bag with unknown things to him.

He looked a bit confused at the Sofiya and her bag, only asking her.

"You were supposed to come a bit later. Did something happen to you which made you come earlier? The kids are still sleeping, while I'm also preparing to head towards the district for some business."

"There's no problem with me. I just like to wake a bit earlier because of my training and morning exercises. Sigh, you also don't have to look with those confused eyes at me, I only brought some things for the little girls that I used to have when I was younger. And also some story books for them. I've also brought that book we talked about yesterday which discussed the body organs and function."

"I see, so you're also someone who wakes early. I really didn't expect for you to come so early, you took me unprepared. Well, all I can hope is that you handle well those kids, they will get harder and harder to manage with time. I'll also leave you some money if I don't come back before all the kids wake up, for their food expenses." said Vlad to Sofiya while tying his hair in a low tie that let his hair flow behind his back.

"You don't have to offer me any money. I'll pay for their meal with my money. Right, don't forget to prepare all the things you need for that business of yours. Also, are you sure those clothes of yours are suitable for that kind of meeting?

"I have no clue Sofiya, but I don't think people here would even care, especially the ones I'm going to meet. Also, I'm not trying to sell myself for some quick change of money. However, what do you think? I only need to pick my pair of shoes from inside and my sword belt and I'm good to go."

"Like this? Come on Vlad, be a bit more presentable, are you going to brothels or something? It's a business deal you're talking about, not some brothels. Do you have an undercoat or coat to go along with the buttoned shirt?"

After thinking for a bit, he looked at Sofiya with a smile before saying to her. "I'll show you a coat I found inside the junkyard. Wait a bit."

Then he walked inside the wooden house and came back holding in his hand a black frock coat with silver embroidering around the sleeves and the buttons of the coat.

When Vlad showed his finding to Sofiya, the girl quickly got the coat in her hands and said with a surprised face.

"How in the world did you manage to get your hands on such a prestigious piece of clothing? Do you even have an idea how expensive is one of these? It's enough to fill your entire grave with gold."

.

Vlad chuckled at the white-haired beauty who was overreacting to something that wasn't so important in his eyes, only dismissing her idea. "You're saying this coat is something prestigious, you should've seen in what state it was. It was so dirty that the silver embroidering was entirely covered by dirt and trash."

Sofiya shook her head while looking at Vlad and explained yet again the value of this frock coat.

"This might feel to you like trash. But I assure you, those pieces of clothing are unique in the kingdom, only the nobles of high title wear this kind of coat."

"That's really unexpected. But how do you know all of these pesky things about nobles and their clothing?" asked Vlad while chuckling a bit when looking at Sofiya's face.

Hearing that question, Sofiya started pushing off the question, a bit caught by surprise. "When you live in the capital city for as long as I did you will get the chance to meet a noble who flaunts his status on the peasants and commoners."

Yet, in her mind, she was screaming something else. 'How can I even tell you that I'm the Duchess of this kingdom and have the same clothing left in a chest by grandfather!? This is so embarrassing. I hope he doesn't pressure me around to tell him that.'

Vlad, still smiling at Sofiya's attempt to brush off this situation, only said. "Fine, let's say that I wear this flock coat. Would this draw attention to me, more than I can expect? You tell me Sofiya, would it make sense for a nobody such as me to have clothes a noble would wear? I appreciate your help, but this place doesn't deserve such a flaunt of power."

"Well, I guess you're right. Do as you wish, your clothing is good enough for this place's standards." Said Sofiya as if remembering where exactly they were, the Forgotten District, a place where criminals, thieves, and all short of failed humans reside, but especially the ones trying their best to reach a better status in life, climbing the ladder of society.

"Haha, that's how you should be from the start. Now, if you excuse me, I'll get going." As he said that he threw the noble coat to Sofiya while continuing saying.

"Here, catch this and place it somewhere by a tree for all I care.  Also, If you want to relax while you're waiting for the other kids to wake, there's the water stream just for you. You don't have to fear being leched by any pervert here." said Vlad as he was closing some of the buttons of the shirt, leaving only the part of his chest open.

"Thanks for the offer. With regard to the perverts, that's good. Well, what else can I say to you? Good luck, or don't get killed?" replied Sofiya while staring at Vlad, who was preparing his clothes, while also feeling the sensation of the silk fabric of the flocked coat.

After finishing arranging a bit his clothes, and taking the bag with gold jewels from his house, he gave another stare to Sofiya and finally went towards the city.

Vlad slowly, in about 20 minutes Vlad arrived at the location Johan directed him towards where Behemoth Syndicate headquarters was situated and precisely where he could find Aldenis.

To his surprise, their location was right in the center of the district. From there, you could get to all the locations of the district with ease.

Entering the alley of the headquarters where Aldenis oversaw everything from here, he could see the place being clean and in order. Everything seemed to be maintained and new.

.

At the end of the alley, there were a two stories high brick mansion that had some greenery around. Walking towards this mansion, he noticed patrolling a bunch of red-clothed guys with firearms close to their bodies but compared to the rest of the syndicates. They were disciplined when patrolling around the mansion and alley.

Those guys stopped when they spotted Vlad, and as Vlad approached, only said.

"Hey you, do you have any business with Behemoth Syndicate? This is the headquarters of the syndicate."

Vlad calmly stared at them and only said to them after giving them Johan's recommendation letter. "I know where am I. Here's my recommendation letter."

Taking Vlad's letter, the one who seemed to be the leader, began reading the letter's contents. He, too, found out that this guy in front of him had the recommendation of the only craftsman in the district, better said in the entire capital city.

The leader nodded his head, said something to his guys, and said to Vlad while looking at him with a serious face.

"You're clear, however, you have to follow me inside. Boss Aldenis likes rules to be respected, that includes even us, his men."

Vlad said nothing and walked closer to the syndicate member. Like this, the two began walking towards the mansion.

When entering inside, Vlad saw that it was fully crowded. All short of guys were moving different materials in boxes, weapons, or other things unknown to him. The syndicate members didn't bother with Vlad, only nodding slightly towards the guy escorting Vlad forward, continuing onward with their job.

Soon, Vlad found himself being rechecked when he reached the second story of the building by some men who were looking quite tough.

They had scars all over their arms and faces, which made Vlad guess about their backstory. Looking around at them without creating any conflict, he didn't felt any ominous sign from them.

Just like the first guy who checked on his legitimacy for coming here, they nodded a bit their heads. After that, they opened the door towards a room.

With his bag of gold in his trouser pocket, he calmly walked inside the room. Vlad could tell just from when he first stepped inside that the room was simple. It looked close to Pholbor's room in this regard. The room had a library, some decorations, a large couch, and lastly, a desk where there was seated an old man.

The old man in question seemed to look in Vlad's eyes close to sixty or middle fifties. He has normal-length white hair that he could still style if he wanted and a grizzled white beard.

As Vlad approaches a seat beside the desk, he could see the person's icy blue eyes, deeply set on him, giving him a hard and severe feeling, like a person who experienced many things in his life.

Vlad could estimate the height of the seated old man to be about 1,83 meters. Also, from the other side of the desk, he could see the old man wearing a buttoned black shirt with a red undercoat.

Vlad walked slowly towards the open seat, not feeling any pressure on him to hurry. He also used some of his [Blood Enhancement] on himself to react if things went downhill quickly.

The sounds of his heavy steps resounded in the room until he finally was seated on the chair arranged for the meeting.

.

The old man observed everything with keen eyes and could tell from the time this young man entered that he was not here for something insignificant.

The way he carried himself was similar to a powerful noble who could care less about what the people thought of him.

"What brings you to meet me, young man? Do you wish to join my syndicate?" Asked the old man with a calm face.

Hearing that question, Vlad raised his lips a bit in amusement and only said to Aldenis.

"Sir Aldenis, let's cut the complimentary, I'm here to do some business with you after hearing from Johan that you can solve my problem. Also, don't try to bring on the subject of me joining you guys."

"Ohh, so you know Johan. Then it means you come inside with his recommendation. Good, then if he did business with you, I'll also not jump away from this new ship. Before that, how should I call you, young man?"

"Blood. You can call me that." replied Vlad with a dull expression.

"Okay, Blood. So what do you want? To sell or buy services."

Taking his full bag of gold, he placed it calmly on Aldenis' desk, then only said in a casual way. "How much can you give me for this bag?"

"Hoh, that sound. Don't tell me you got there some jewels?" asked Aldenis before opening the bag. Then when he saw the bag full of gold pieces of jewelry, he turned to look a bit surprised at Vlad continuing saying.

"This will be tricky and a long process to check the quality of the gold you brought. However, you're also in luck because I have the right person for this kind of thing."

Ending saying that he presses a button under his desk while staring at Vlad with a more serious face. Seconds after he did that, one of the guys with scars on his face appeared in the room.

Aldenis only said in his old tone. "Go bring that brat, Faust, right away. He knows more than me about gold and other alchemical things. Just drag him out of his room if he's not cooperating."

The syndicate member nodded his head, and after exiting the room, Vlad soon could hear the same person who left give a loud scream, yelling at a certain someone.

"Faust you crazy bastard, boss Aldenis is looking for you, quit your little experiments and get going."

Interested in finding out more about the situation inside this place, Vlad used a bit more [Enhancement] on his ears to amplify his hearing. What followed after that yelling was the voice of a young guy, that had the tone of a young adult, responding to the syndicate member with some frustration.

"Wait a bit, I was in the process of doing another test of gunpowder. Argh, don't pick me up yet you morons, I need to get my set too. Probably that annoying old man wants to check again on some gold or silver."

"Sigh, how come I got to work for this old man. I am a man of science who is treated so unfairly by a bunch of brutes." said the man in his twenties, a bit frustrated by the situation he was in.

"You said something you smartass? Do you want to remember again the feeling of getting stuck in bed for a week?"

"No need. I'm done preparing my testing kit. Let's get going, I want to get back to my experiments again." said the man called Faust.

Vlad listened to the guy's voice tone and could tell that this person sounded similar to the alchemist he had met in his first life, like snobbish bastards who think of themselves as mentally superior to ordinary people.

After some minutes, the syndicate member entered inside, followed by a person in his twenties that was about 1,78 meters tall, had blonde hair and blue eyes. Similarly, his face wasn't so bad as if to contain any deformities. His nose was straight while housing his glasses that he was wearing. To Vlad, this person looked just like the alchemist he had met, only that this guy is younger than the old bastards who liked to talk about mystic stuff.

Walking inside, the blonde guy stared at Aldenis and said to him. "Old man, do you need my help again with your so-called businesses? Can't you give me a breather, will you always summon those gorillas of yours to drag me from my experiments?"

The syndicate member, a bit offended, wanted to raise his fist at Faust, but Aldenis coughed and gave him a sharp stare, making the guy with scars on his face exit the room in silence.

"Faust you're still under my contract, so I can get you to do my bidding for as long I wish. I even give you money for your so-called revolutionary scientific ideas, but it never bore fruit. So in the end I can only use you on some simple things, to check the validity of gold."

"Well, I guessed a bit old man. You're in luck I still got some Royal Water from the last batch you had me verify. Let me see what you got this time. Ohh, this person is the client this time?" asked Faust while moving forward and seeing Vlad's jet-black hair and straight back.

'It's this person referring to Aqua Regia? Is the liquid capable of destroying gold? 'Though Vlad, when hearing Faust mention Royal Water.

"That's right Faust, so you better show respect to my client, sir Blood." said Aldenis while staring right in the eyes of Faust.

Faust just smiled as he approached the desk and placed his test kit for all to see. After that, he extended his hand to Vlad and said. "It's nice to meet you, I'm Faust. To tell you the truth,  I never imagined that in this place young people like me can actually get a hold of such treasure. I'm actually quite jealous of this treasure of yours. You can easily live off this treasure for some years, while also spending as you wish."

"Ahem, after this business with old Aldenis, are you interested in employing my services? I can turn metals to gold, make explosions, even create all short of useful things for people, or even make weapons for you."

Hearing the alchemist say this, Vlad nodded his head and replied while taking the alchemist's hand. "You sound quite capable from your abilities, but let me ask you. Do you know about the Philosopher's Stone?"

Faust looked a bit surprised at Vlad because most people in this kingdom didn't place much focus on such things, yet he responded as humble as possible. "Sir, the Philosopher's Stone is just a legend, a myth to make new aspiring alchemists drawn on the subject. I don't know from where you picked that notion, but that's just stories. Even the subject of alchemy is outdated, I would call myself, as a scientist if I may. Alchemy is just parlor tricks used to scam people."

"Ohh, so these stories were just bullshit? You call yourself a scientist? Are you better than an alchemist then?"

"Indeed sir, I'm far superior compared to those old idiots who only know to say big words, but not even explain certain phenomena."

Instantly when Faust said that about the alchemist, Vlad's interest in this young man was picked, giving him another stare in his blue eyes, he only said as if ending this conversation for the moment.

"Sir Faust, you sound in all respects, capable. We'll do it like this, after your contract here expires, you can contact me by leaving a message to sir Aldenis since I doubt we will end our contacts just from this exchange, and I'll see what you're capable of doing."

Faust when hearing Vlad said that, as if light shined under a dark cave, once again grabbed Vlad's hand and shook them with great emotions.

The syndicate leader Aldenis watched from the side as Faust was scamming yet again another unfortunate person to believe in his stories. Seeing them end their conversation, he ordered Faust in a heavy tone.

"Get going Faust, check if those gold jewelry are the real deal, I don't have all the time in the world to hear all your bootlicking words."

"Damn old man, can you calm down?" asked Faust, a bit annoyed, while taking out a piece of black rock that looked close to sandpaper, some glass flask that had an orange liquid inside.

Then he grabbed one of the jewels from the table. To be more exact, it was a gold ring. Grabbing that gold ring, he rubbed the ring on the black rock like sandpaper until there were remains of the gold on the stone.

Nodding his head while checking the black stone, he placed the ring down on the table, and taking his flash with Aqua Regia, he took a pipette and took some drops from the flask with Aqua Regia.

With a casual face, he placed the drops from the pipette on the rock and slowly watched. He waited for something to happen. Both Vlad and Aldenis were also staring at the black rock that had golden marks on it being touched by the solution.

.

Yet the golden marks were still there which made Faust comment. "Hmm, this is high-quality gold, highest grade of 24 karats if I may say, or for you simple guys, it's pure gold that doesn't have any other shit inside that can damage the quality. My Royal Water works only on the 22 or lower grade. Congratulations sir Blood, your ring will fetch you quite the sum of money."

"Continue on Faust, stop wasting our time, there's still 3 earrings, necklace, bracelets, and a weird-looking chain." said Aldenis annoyed when looking at Faust as he praised Vlad for his luck.

Faust only snorted and began checking on the rest. The next one he picked from the table was the weird chain. Similarly to the first process, after cleaning out the rock, he began checking the quality of the gold. He nodded his head when seeing the same effect as the first ring. He didn't bother saying anything and just let Vlad and Aldenis watch in silence as he graded the jewelry's quality.

Then he followed with the three earrings, which to Aldenis relief, he saw as the gold dissolved in the solution Faust used. After that, he picked the bracelets which didn't dissolve under the strong solution.

Finally came the last piece he needed to check, which was a necklace befitting the highest person of society, especially one for the princesses of kingdoms or high nobles. Same process, this time like the bracelet, ring, and weird chain, it didn't dissolve, which made Aldenis face drop.

Later he turned his head to look at Aldenis, who had an annoyed face, he said to Vlad.

"Sir Blood, I'll tell you the results as they are. The ring is made from pure gold, highest grade, those 3 earrings you brought, they dissolved in the acid but still, I would give them about 20-21 karats, which is not bad for gold which is extracted by stupid morons. Later you have this weird chain that I can't make anything out of it, it is also made out of pure gold. Likewise the bracelet and necklace are of pure gold. Ahem, also I'll tell you how much those jewelries would fetch you, but this is just an estimation, it remains for you two to negotiate."

"The value of all those jewels it's about 20 millions, the one increasing the value of the price is that exquisite necklace and bracelet which would sell well with the noble ladies of any kingdom."

"Well old man I'm done here right? Can I get back to my experimental room?" asked Faust as he packed his test kit.

"Sure you can leave. Don't you dare blow anything up in my basement, there are many goods I got inside that I have to send to the port by tomorrow night." said Aldenis as he watched Faust with his old eyes that turned a bit cold.

"Ohh, yet again one of those deals you got with the nobles? Sure I'll leave my gunpower toys alone for the following days. Old man, before I leave, a piece of advice from maybe someone that sees things from a different perspective. You should get out from your business with the nobles or you'll get really hurt. I've heard from your brutes that the old king got out from his grand cage, so I don't see the side of the nobles doing so well in the following years. Once they get drowned, you'll also get drowned since you got chained by them, just like those other idiots from Leviathan and Gargoyle." Faust ended by saying that, simultaneously giving Aldenis a stare while looking with his blue eyes straight in Aldenis black eyes.

"So you also think about the old Oplhetius escape? Yes, the nobles seem to be in some trouble after the old king escaped. I also remember Marshal Galleot Nius. That old guy is also probably still alive somewhere preparing to strike back after licking his wounds enough. Anyway, you can go Faust. I know about my choices, I'm old enough to understand some things going behind shadows that maybe you with that smart-ass attitude and head can't get."

Then Faust exited from the room before blowing a bit towards Vlad.

When Aldenis saw that Faust was finally gone, he said to Vlad, who just stared calmly at him. "I'm sorry young man for seeing this kind of scene. I didn't look as professional as people envision a leader to look. Also, don't share the information you found with the common people, it will be hard to keep the stability in the city if that news get in circulation."

"You say that but most of your guys know about this information already. But let's leave those things aside. How much money are you willing to give me for those gold jewels?" asked Vlad, still in a calm manner while looking at Aldenis.

Hearing Vlad say that Aldenis took the bag with jewels and spread each one of them in his direction. He placed closer to him the necklace, ring, and bracelet while living the rest of things in their initial position. Touching those jewels a bit in his old hands, turning them in all positions with a severe face, as he calculated any mistakes there was, he said to Vlad.

"You've heard my gold expert, but that kid doesn't take in mind that to sell those pieces of jewels, I also have to place some money on the line. Auctions, relations, presentations require money. So I'll say I'll pay you about 13 million.

"Hmm there's such things indeed, but to drop the value of those jewels by 1 million, that's really something mister. Let's go with 17 millions since if you go to an auction and really try to gather the nobles of any kingdom, you could raise the value of some casual things exponentially. What could be a simple 20 millions could over a night become 50 million or even 100 million if you are in luck of finding some arrogant houses competing on the jewels." Said Vlad while taking an earring from the table before pushing it gently to where Aldenis had the three pieces of jewels.

Thinking about what Vlad said, Aldenis, with a serious face, took a piece of paper and began doing some calculus after placing a pair of glasses on his eyes. After some calculus, Aldenis looked at Vlad and eased up his serious face before extending his hand while saying to Vlad.

"Let's go with 15.5 millions kid, I still have to feed those stupid guys I got under my house. I also have to wait for the nobles to gather for the auction, which takes time. Time is money young man, I'll not go higher than that. Don't test me, I don't really have to buy your gold, but I'll be nice to you since you know Johan."

Seeing that Aldenis didn't want to go higher, Vlad didn't go overboard for only this thing. The price he got seemed fair, taking into account the expenses and the cut the auction would take from him. "Fine, we got a deal."

"Very good, let me get you your money young man." As Aldenis said that, he got up from his seat and walked towards his library. He pressed on a book that went inside the library holder, and all of a sudden, a door opened next to the library.

Vlad turned his attention to what was inside that room, and to his surprise, he found a large safe box with a lever mechanism. After a minute, Aldenis come back with a black briefcase bag of money, full of raws of 10.000 𝔅 banknotes.

Taking the briefcase in his hands made Vlad's first reaction to check on the money, which he followed in close details. After some minutes of counting his money, Vlad closed the bag and nodded his head towards Aldenis, yet he still didn't get off his seat.

The old syndicate boss looked a bit questioning towards Vlad, wondering what else he wanted after this exchange.

As he wondered about it, he heard Vlad's voice going a bit colder, which he later asked the old man.

"Sir Aldenis, I have another offer that I'm willing to give you, but before that, I have to ask you some questions. Do you mind if I ask them?"


A/N: WE RICH BABY, IT'S RED PANTY NIGHT! 

Aerius is like some goblin who has a enhanced smell for shit, *ahem* gold.

.

* Join my discord. https://discord.gg/CMsHqJVDVD

* Rate and follow if you want to support the story.

* Review if you want to tell the rest of the readers your experience.

* Comment after the end of the chapter. Keep the community together.

16